• Easy Gluten-Free Apple Crisp

October 10, 2013

My favorite fall recipe ever is my Mom’s Apple Crisp. (You may have heard me mention it a few dozen times now on CNC.) It’s so incredibly easy to make, and it always turns out so well (seriously, it’s incredible), so I decided to use her recipe as inspiration for a gluten-free apple crisp.

This gluten-free apple crisp is also really easy to make and almost as delicious as my mom’s. I honestly don’t think there’s a better apple crisp out there than hers, but this gluten-free one comes close!

• 5 medium apples (any variety)
    • 2 cups of almond meal
    • 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
    • 1/3 cup sugar
    • 1 tsp vanilla extract
    • cinnamon and nutmeg

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Haphazardly slice apples into small pieces and add them to a 9” X 9” (or round) baking dish.
    2. Sprinkle cinnamon and nutmeg all over the apples. Feel free to add as much or as little as you’d like. I usually go crazy with the cinnamon and add just a little bit of nutmeg for some spice.
    3. In a mixing bowl, add almond meal, sugar, coconut oil, vanilla extract, and more cinnamon (to taste). Combine ingredients until the mixture looks lumpy and coconut oil is fully absorbed into the almond flour.
    4. Pour the almond flour mixture over the apple slices and spread around evenly.
    5. Bake for 45-55 minutes until the top becomes lighted browned and “crisp” and apples are soft.
    6. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving. Serve alone or with vanilla ice cream.

Becky @ Olives n Wine October 10, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Oooh, I bet the almond meal and coconut oil make these extra delicious! I’ll have to try this recipe out after I hit up the apple orchard next weekend :)

Shel@PeachyPalate October 10, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Yum!!! Super simple and vegan too! Love it! What did we ever do without coconut oil!!!

Sara Thibodeaux October 10, 2013 at 4:06 pm

Woohoo! And it’s vegan! This recipe looks awesome. Thanks!

Jackie October 10, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Oh my gosh. Yum! I’ve been using almond meal a lot lately and love it! Thanks for the tips!

Amanda October 10, 2013 at 4:18 pm

I don’t have almond meal and I looked at the original recipe but really want to use this one. Can I just sub in the flour for almond meal and leave the rest of the recipe the same? I just don’t want to make another trip to the store in the rain with 2 kids for one ingredient:) Thanks so much!!

Stacey October 11, 2013 at 12:06 pm

@Amanda: Do you have whole almonds? Just grind them up into a meal in a blender/food processor. I do this with my bulk bag of almonds I purchase :)

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves October 10, 2013 at 4:30 pm

I love me some good apple crisp! I love easy recipes even more :) This looks delicious, Tina! Thanks for sharing.

Purelytwins October 10, 2013 at 4:33 pm

looks perfect! a few years ago we had our first apple crisp and fell in love. we need to make this :)

Lauren @ Peaks and Passports October 10, 2013 at 4:37 pm

Yum! I’m currently being tested for a gluten allergy and as much as I’m crossing my fingers and toes that it comes back negative, recipes like this make the prospect of a gluten-free life less depressing!

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 10, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Nothing better than apple crisp or apple pie! Thanks for gluten-free-ifying (totally a word) this!

Annette@FitnessPerks October 10, 2013 at 4:55 pm

This looks awesome! I love apple crisp!

Becki @ Bites 'n Brews October 10, 2013 at 4:56 pm

I have vegan and gluten-free folks in the house! It’ll be nice to have something that we can all share instead of me finishing off an entire pan of non-vegan apple crisp by myself. Which totally has never happened or anything…

sara @ fitcupacker October 10, 2013 at 5:03 pm

this recipe looks so easy and delicious!

michelle kim October 10, 2013 at 5:13 pm

Looks so delicious! Thanks for the recipe :)

padma October 10, 2013 at 5:23 pm

haha, so glad I just saw this. I was just about to make some apple crisp as a study break treat since I’ve so many apples. Now I wish I had some coconut oil.

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat October 10, 2013 at 5:23 pm

What a perfect fall dessert! Quick and easy, and looks amazing! Love the fact that it’s gluten free!

Ashley October 10, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Looks like a dish Mom would still be proud of :). Gluten free just means a happy tummy, and more to eat, right? :)

Sammy @ Peace Love and Ice Cream October 10, 2013 at 5:51 pm

This is so simple! My husband would love this!!
    -Sammy @ http://www.peaceandloveandicecream.com

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats October 10, 2013 at 8:29 pm

That looks delicious, I love the use of almond meal in it too :)

Amy @ crazysweatymommy October 10, 2013 at 8:50 pm

My neighbor’s have apples literally falling from their trees right now…my kids picked a ton..now I have something to make with all of them!

Eva October 10, 2013 at 8:56 pm

this is random, but it made me think of murphy: http://www.buzzfeed.com/chelseamarshall/one-sad-pug-in-21-adorable-hats

Tina October 10, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Oh my gosh! Hahaha!

Jody - Fit at 55 October 10, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Brittany @ The Fit Phoenician October 10, 2013 at 9:27 pm

This looks super delicious! And it’s vegan :) Definitely giving it a try tonight!

Jenny October 11, 2013 at 7:40 am

This looks YUMMY! We just picked 26 pounds of apples the other week and I need apple recipes like NOW. lol You should try the Apple Baked Oatmeal recipe I put on my blog this week. It’s pretty heavenly!

Have a great weekend!

Lolito @ My Protein Discount Codes October 11, 2013 at 7:56 am

WOW! Wow is all i can say. Like many of us, I avoid gluten year round not just pre contest but I love these kinds of desserts. Im definitely making this for dinner this weekend :) Thank you!!

Sarah G. October 11, 2013 at 8:01 am

This is EXACTLY what I’ve been looking for! Any idea if subbing in stevia for the sugar would be an even swap in terms of the amount?

Tina October 11, 2013 at 8:06 am

I’m not sure. I’ve never used stevia in my baking. Sorry!

Jenny October 11, 2013 at 9:13 am

@Sarah G.: Hi Sarah! Don’t mean to butt in – I recently developed a recipe and used that Stevia/Brown Sugar Blend. It worked perfectly, but reduced the amount of sugar used.

Jenny October 11, 2013 at 9:15 am

@Jenny: I should have said “and” reduced the amount of sugar used– I sub it out tbsp to tbsp.

Samantha @ 10,000 Squats October 11, 2013 at 8:30 am

Wow for something that’s gluten free this look really delicious! I’ll have to look in to making it. Already have a tasty pumpkin pie on the list for this weekend though! Canadian Thanksgiving is on Monday so we have plenty of food to eat this weekend.

meghan @ struggle muffins October 12, 2013 at 9:51 am

This.is.awesome. Apple crisp is my favorite dessert, hands down, and I’ve been wanting to do a gluten free version. Yours looks awesome and I can’t wait to make it!

Ryan October 12, 2013 at 6:15 pm

This looks so damn good!

fardous October 13, 2013 at 10:03 am

i made this , i used aouts and it come out del , thank u 4 sharing

Karen G in France October 13, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Hi Tina, made your apple crisp recipe this weekend. I made the “light” version. It came out great. thanks !!

Tina October 13, 2013 at 1:13 pm

That’s great! Glad you liked it! :)

Annette@FitnessPerks October 13, 2013 at 6:29 pm

What a cool service! Would love it!

Kelsey October 13, 2013 at 7:52 pm

Ahh can’t wait to try this!