• Cliff Walk Run & Last Week’s Workouts

October 5, 2013

Hello, hello!

Just popping in with a quick post about my run this morning and a recap of last week’s workouts.

In general, it was a good week of workouts, minus a small overuse injury. I had some knee pain and soreness after my 11-mile run on Tuesday, so I took it easy with running for the rest of the week to give it a little break. The time off was exactly what I needed because I ran 4 miles this morning, and it seems to be good as new!

photo (16)

Sunday: 3 miles + CrossFit

Kerrie and I met at Open Gym and did a WOD together. Alfonso from Angry Trainer Fitness posted a workout on Instagram earlier that morning, so we used it for inspiration.

We originally drew up the workout below, but then we ended up subbing ring rows (pulling) for HSPUs (since we had a lot of pushing movements). It took us close to 18 minutes to finish, but we weren’t going all out. I even stopped to drink water a couple of times, which is something I never do during a WOD. Hey, it was Sunday.

Sunday_Open_Gym_WOD

Monday: Off

Tuesday: 11 miles

Wednesday: CrossFit

Wednesday’s WOD was short and sweet painful. It was definitely a quad smoker! I did 5 rounds Rx.

photo (20) (450x600)

Thursday: Off

Friday: CrossFit

Friday’s CrossFit WOD was a fun one! It included a variety of movements– a couple of which I really needed to practice– so it was nice to try them in a WOD. The HSPUs really slowed me down (I was doing them one at a time), but I am glad that I got to work on them. I ended up finishing in 12:25.

photo (1)

Saturday: 4 miles

I ended up waking up pretty sore after yesterday’s CrossFit workout, so I cut my scheduled 8-miler in half and ran 4 miles instead. We did weighted Good Mornings the day before, so my hamstrings were incredibly tight. Plus, I didn’t want to push my luck with my knee, so I went for a nice, easy, and very enjoyable run around Newport.

I ran on the Cliff Walk this morning, and it was so beautiful! It’s definitely one of the prettiest runs I have ever experienced.

cliff walk newport

cliff walk newport ri

My run included a little bit of stair-running too!

forty stairs newport

40 stairs newport

What is the prettiest run you have ever experienced?

Rachel @ Health My Lifestyle October 5, 2013 at 10:10 am

That is a pretty run! My favorite is running along the trails near the river. It’s so pretty and peaceful and the zig zag of the trails keep it entertaining.

Elizabeth @ Positive Change October 5, 2013 at 10:19 am

Great week of workouts! I would have to say there is a trail in my college town that is so beautiful in the fall, it has trees covering the path the whole way and it just incloses you and makes you want to run!

Courtney @ Don't Blink. Just Run. October 5, 2013 at 10:30 am

Funnily enough, I like only 30 minutes from the Cliff Walk and have never been. And I’ve lived in RI for 10 years and grew up in MA before that…so it’s not like I’ve ever been far away. I just hate driving in Newport! HA!

Prettiest I’ve ever done was in FL when we were there for a friend’s wedding. There was this place near our hotel called Crane’s Roost Park or something like that in Altamonte Springs. It was so gorgeous and there was so much wildlife. It was a mile loop around a pond/lake/whatever that had live music on certain nights. Gorgeous!

Tina October 5, 2013 at 11:53 am

You should go! It’s such a pretty run! 😄

Kim October 5, 2013 at 11:20 am

I think the prettiest run I ever experienced was when I ran the Nike Half in San Francisco. Your run this morning looks beautiful. I’m excited because I am running the United Healthcare Half in Newport next weekend. Can’t wait to run that course!

Andrea R. @ Morning Runner Girl October 5, 2013 at 11:25 am

Oh gosh there are so many!! Probably my morning runnings in Cinque Terre, Italy winding up along the coast. BREATHTAKING.
    I think coastal runs like that are gorgeous anywhere!! Yours looks amazing!

Ash Bear October 5, 2013 at 11:29 am

Running up the Saleve last year in Geneva was the most beautiful run I’ve experienced due to the snow and quiet.

Angie @ Pint of Goals October 5, 2013 at 11:33 am

The scenery on your run looks amazing – a pretty view always makes a run better. The prettiest run I ever did was in Lauterbrunnen Switzerland three summers ago. Although I had some discomfort from a hike the day before (which ended up being runners knee), I ran just over six miles in a valley with huge mountains and waterfalls on both sides of me. The whole time I kept thinking how lucky I was.

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats October 5, 2013 at 12:00 pm

oh wow, the cliff walk looks beautiful! The prettiest run I’ve ever experienced was running the trails in the Garden of the Gods, in Colorado Springs. So hard since it was practically climbing up and down, but so pretty and fun!

Jenny October 5, 2013 at 12:14 pm

I’d have to say Hawaii. I just ran thru this residential area in honolulu & I was seeing the sun rise thru the palm trees with the ocean behind it. It was pretty magical.

Taylor @ Liftingrevolution October 5, 2013 at 1:24 pm

Looks amazing! The prettiest run would have to be Park City, UT. I was in awe that I didn’t realize the miles adding up.

Lauren @ Peaks and Passports October 5, 2013 at 1:27 pm

That looks gorgeous! The most beautiful run I’ve ever taken was years ago (6 years maybe?) in Pebble Beach, California. Even though it was so long ago, I still remember running along the gorgeous rocky coast and through the forest. I love vacation runs so much!

Shel@PeachyPalate October 5, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Gorgeous! I’d say you didn’t even feel like you were running with all there was to see around you! I had to google a few of the crossfit moves out of interest! What sort of weight would you use for the good mornings? Great for flexibility I’d imagine.

Tina October 5, 2013 at 3:14 pm

We worked our way up to 75 pounds x 5.

Ashley October 5, 2013 at 3:19 pm

I ran at a park with amazing mountain views this week that was probably a top 5 favorite run. But I’d say the prettiest run I’ve probably ever done was the Steamboat Half. If anyone else has run it — it seriously changed my view on running. So serene!

Emily October 5, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Prettiest run? Oh man, I’ve had the good fortune to run in all sorts of cool areas – along the Pacific Ocean, Central Park, Seattle, Lake Tahoe, Golden Gate Bridge … but I think my morning runs when the sun is just coming up over the Bay Bridge get me every time.

meghan @ struggle muffins October 5, 2013 at 3:45 pm

The Cliff Walk is awesome. I used to love running over the brooklyn bridge when I lived in NY but my fave run has to be along the water in La Jolla. So gorgeous.

Caroline @ Adventures in Living Lean October 5, 2013 at 7:39 pm

The prettiest run I’ve been on was in Charleston on vacation this summer. Our second morning, I woke up and ran from our hotel to the Battery, where Charleston overlooks the Atlantic. It was absolutely stunning. I literally stopped for about 10 minutes at the Battery to just take it in.

Jennifer October 5, 2013 at 7:52 pm

The Cliff Walk photos are gorgeous! I am so jealous. We have a nice trail that meanders through trees and over a small stream that I really enjoy… But my running trail is NOTHING compared to your views!!

Sammy @ Peace Love and Ice Cream October 5, 2013 at 8:20 pm

I’ve done a handful of the Angry Trainer’s workouts from YouTube…good stuff!
    The prettiest run was in Maui, on our honeymoon, along the beach – what could be back about that!?!? Glad your knee is feeling good :)
    -Sammy @ peaceandloveandicecream.blogspot.com

Amie October 5, 2013 at 8:37 pm

The prettiest run I have ever experienced is on the beach here in Maui! It’s tougher than pavement but so worth it :)

Sil October 5, 2013 at 11:48 pm

Definitely Paris! (this year during the marathon) And in a stunning sunny day.

Shannon October 6, 2013 at 12:23 am

I love running under/in the forest. Both the Redwoods and Sequoias are the most stunning places I have ran! I always try to get some running in when I get a chance to go camping.

Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog October 6, 2013 at 10:18 am

I went to Newport for my best friend’s wedding and we did the Cliff Walk. It was beautiful!

Two of my favorite runs: When I used to go to LA for work, we stayed in Santa Monica on the beach, and I would run on that beach every morning. The views of the Palisades were breath-taking :-) The other most beautiful run was at the Cape, and it was just the sheer simplicity of the ocean and that tiny little cape town.

Allison October 6, 2013 at 11:23 am

Running a 16 miler in sylamore , AR up the side of a mountain!! Hardest race I’ve ever run but the scenery made it completely worth the 5 hours it took to finish!

emily:2:design:cents October 6, 2013 at 11:32 am

I would have to say Boracay in the Phillipines for a beach run. Super hot but gorgeous.

Kristi October 6, 2013 at 1:43 pm

I haven’t ran many places yet, but when I run my parents neighborhood I’m always amazed by how nice it is. With the lakes, and the deed, and squirrels. It’s a great place to run.

Livi October 6, 2013 at 3:18 pm

just around my campus- I am so blessed with beautiful trees and our gorgeous lake!

Maria October 6, 2013 at 9:56 pm

I just had a very scenic run during an 8 miler this past weekend but my prettiest run was in Guam during sunrise. It was absolutely gorgeous.

Molly October 7, 2013 at 10:39 am

The Cliff Walk looks awesome! I haven’t ran too many places, my favorite is in a metropark in our city – this particular trail has like 5 different “landscapes” and my favorite is through this forest with really tall, almost enchanting pine trees…it reminds me of a forest from The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings. During the winter its breathtaking and the only sounds you can hear are your feet crunching the snow and your breath. Love it.

Taylor @ Single-tracked Mind October 7, 2013 at 1:29 pm

That 4-mile run looks so beautiful!! SF, my home city, is always a gorgeous place to run.

Rachelyn Teague October 7, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Tina, what is Alfonso’s Instagram username?? Thanks!

Tina October 7, 2013 at 2:05 pm

TheAngryTrainer.

Elizabeth October 7, 2013 at 11:38 pm

Prettiest run? I have two. The first is running through Hanalei Bay in Kauai. The second would be my old running route here in Santa Barbara, Ca. I used to live in the hills and there is a downhill section that looks over the city and ocean. On a clear day you can see the islands on the other side of the channel. My favorite time to do this run is at dawn. So gorgeous!

Samantha @ 10,000 Squats October 8, 2013 at 10:34 am

I’ve only ever completed one run so far and it was pretty nice. I don’t really enjoy running so I haven’t incorporated it into my workouts. My bf is a big fan of running though so once I’m in better shape we have a plan to do one of the RunDisney races. I want to do the Disney Princess 10k! My bf doesn’t think he’ll look good in a tutu though. ;) I think he’d look cute! Haha.

Tabet October 11, 2013 at 7:57 am

Great pics and a nice post, sounds interesting! :)
    Love