• Worrying Is Like A Rocking Chair

September 5, 2013

Good morning and hello from my new home office!

After I killed my computer and brought it to the repair shop, I set myself up in the living room. I actually prefer working in my office away from any sort of distraction, but it’s fun to work with the TV on in the background every once in awhile.

I like watching The Today Show and then LIVE! with Kelly and Michael in the morning. I only half-watch while I’m working, but my ears perk up from time-to-time when I hear interesting headlines or features. Yesterday, for example, I heard about a building in London that is melting cars on the ground below because the reflection it creates from the sun is so incredibly hot and powerful. Isn’t that nuts?

London_building_melting_cars_
    [Instagram: Antsy]

So, yesterday afternoon, I spoke with the repair guys about my computer and, GOOD NEWS, it’s fine. Nothing was lost! Hooray! It turns out a power surge from a recent lightning storm fried the AC power adapter, which prevented my computer from turning on. The repair shop had an extra power adapter on hand, so they tried it out with my computer and it started right up. They ordered me a new one, so as soon as it arrives, I’m back in business. Yay!

I am so relived that everything worked out with my computer. Although, I have to admit, I actually wasn’t all that worried about it. Mal even made a comment about how “impressed” he was with how I handled everything since computer problems typically make me mental. While I don’t regularly back up my computer, I have every freelance piece I have ever written as well as a number of important documents saved on my Google Drive, and my blog is backed up on its own server and doubly backed up via VaultPress.

2181c63df4396e286bc20397fdaece14
    [source]

If I had truly killed my computer, I would have lost a bunch of my photos, but a lot of them are on CNC (and backed up) and the really important ones (i.e. wedding photos) are on an external hard drive as well as a DVD, so I guess the worst case scenario wouldn’t have been so bad. Even still, I am SO GLAD everything worked out, and I definitely learned my lesson. Now, I need to install an automatic back up on my computer because I know I won’t do it. Any suggestions?

ht_carrie_laptop_dm_110702_wmain
    [source]

Breakfast

I ate a super delicious breakfast this morning!

For the past three mornings, I’ve eaten the exact same breakfast—a quick and easy recipe that I created for an upcoming post on The Laughing Cow blog. It involves a three-ingredient pancake and cinnamon cream cheese, and, holy goodness, it’s delicious. I can’t wait to share the recipe with you guys!

After breakfast, Murphy and I took a trip to Marylou’s for iced coffee and a Milk Bone. I also bought a couple of pounds of coffee as gifts for friends, so I may or may not have bought an extra bag for a giveaway on CNC tomorrow. Just a heads up! You like White Chocolate Chip coffee, right? Thought so.

photo

I was planning to do my long run later this morning, but yesterday’s CrossFit workout kicked my butt. I definitely need a rest day today.

thruster and kb swing WOD

METCON

“Triple Play”

AMRAP 3:
    5 Thrusters (135, 95)
    10 KBS (53, 35)

-Rest 2 minutes-

AMRAP 3:
    7 Thrusters (115, 75)
    10 KBS (53, 35)

-Rest 2 minutes-

AMRAP 3:
    9 Thrusters (95, 65)
    10 KBS (53, 35)

The goal of this WOD was to do more reps (or at least as many) as you did on AMRAP #1 on AMRAP #3. As you can see, the weight for the Thrusters drops each round, but the number of reps increases. I did this workout as prescribed, so I started with 95-pound Thrusters. (Yes, they were brutal.) I only made it through 2 rounds + 2 reps, but I thought when I took 20 pounds off my bar for AMRAP #2, I’ll plow through the reps. Um, not so much. I only did one more rep on AMRAP #2. On AMRAP #3, I managed to eek out an extra three reps, but, man, it almost killed me. Thrusters always make me feel so awful. They’re the best and worst at the same time!

Questions of the Day

Are you a worrier? What do you find yourself worrying about the most?

Is there anything worse than heavy Thrusters?

Meg September 5, 2013 at 3:40 pm

I try not to worry… TRY being the operative word… sometimes it’s hard not to. that’ why I love yoga.. :)

Amy September 5, 2013 at 5:15 pm

I am a big worrier. It is something I am trying to work on, but it is hard. I tend to worry about the unknown. I just got a new job, so there was a lot of worrying about what to expect, how will I do, what will people think of me? It can be overwhelming.

Annie @ herightfit September 5, 2013 at 6:34 pm

I have terrible anxiety and worry sessions about everything under the moon…are my shoulders to big for my body, do I have enough brussel sprouts for dinner, did I lock up my classroom before leaving for work…the list goes on and on! I love that quote though and will try to hold that in my mind!

Alex @ Kenzie Life September 5, 2013 at 6:57 pm

I used to have some really serious anxiety issues and pretty bad, diagnosed OCD. With a lot of therapy and even more work on my own, I’ve been able to quell my anxiety and worries and for the most part I don’t have serious anxiety issues any more. I get worried about things and anxious sometimes, but it helps to do a lot of self-talk and ask myself it’s something that NEEDS to be worried about, will it impact my life in a major way, and if there’s anything I can do to solve the problem. If not, I take some deep breaths and focus on what I can control.

Beth @ dietitianduo September 5, 2013 at 8:57 pm

I love, love, love that you included the Sex and the City reference! That is literally the first thing that came to mind when I read your first post. haha Such a great series! Glad that you didn’t lose everything! :)

Lindsay September 6, 2013 at 3:49 am

I have made huge strides in my worry-mentality. I used to seriously make myself sick over what I couldn’t predict or could not change. I think it was a blend of living overseas in S. Korea and seeing a different view of life, trusting myself, and a whole lot of yoga that cooled me down. Now I still worry of course, mainly for my hubby bc he is in the military and deploys frequently, BUT I take stock in the fact that he knows what he’s doing and we chose this life for ourselves. My pride and love overwhelm the worry;)!

Samantha @ 10,000 Squats September 6, 2013 at 10:11 am

Glad your computer situation worked out ok. Good thing it was only the power supply! I’d be super upset if I lost my stuff too. Good call on backing up everything!

Rachel Gargano September 7, 2013 at 7:36 am

I know this comment is late – but I use Carbonite as an automatic backup and it’s awesome! It backs up to the “cloud” and as long as your computer is on, it continually backs up anything new or changed on your computer.

Good luck!
    Rachel (From NuVal ;)

Tina September 7, 2013 at 8:03 am

Hi!!!!! :)

shannon September 7, 2013 at 9:13 pm

I read your story about you computer the other day and immediately thought od SATC. and today i saw ur updated post and the picture of ” carrie” I love that episode.

Sarah September 10, 2013 at 12:49 pm

I highly recommend Carbonite as an automatic back up. It’s about $60 a year for a personal computer. Also, if you download the free app for your phone, you can access your files remotely as well as back up the files on your phone.

Edan September 15, 2013 at 4:15 am

Carbonite is definitely the way to go. Plus you can access your backup stuff from your smart phone! :)

Tina September 15, 2013 at 8:13 am

Very cool! Thanks for the info!