• The Time I Told My Sister to Eat Cat Food

September 18, 2013

Happy birthday to my wonderful and amazing sister!!!

1821 (750x592)

Today she turns 32 years young!

IMG_9316

Yesterday, we celebrated her birthday with my mom and Matthew, who, of course, is the cutest baby alive.

In conversation, I said something about Murphy and, for some reason, it caught Matthew’s attention.

He thought the word “Murphy” was hilarious, so I kept saying it over and over again to make him laugh. Oh my gosh, it was so cute!

If Matthew likes the word “Murphy” that much, I hope he loves the actual dog even more! Murphy is pretty hilarious.

We decided to get lunch from Panera yesterday afternoon. My mom and I ran out while my sister stayed home and hung out with Matthew.

I ended up getting a spinach salad with mushrooms, bacon, and fried onions. It was good, but I sort of wished I got chicken or something with a little more substance on it.

Oh well. I still ate the entire thing.

IMG_6205

After lunch, we celebrated my sister’s birthday with Scotcharoos and presents!

Growing up, my great aunt, T.T., always made Scotcharoos for family events. (We actually think she had a lifetime supply stored in her freezer, so she could just grab-and-go whenever she needed a batch.) Our whole family loved them, but my sister and I (and our cousins) went especially crazy over them. I can even remember a few times when I ate so many Scotcharoos I felt sick to my stomach. Sugar overload. Scotcharoos are sure delicious, but definitely not the healthiest.

I_love_scotcharoos

I thought about “healthifying” the Scotcharoos that I made for my sister, but I didn’t think that would be very fun. Plus, I wanted them to be as close to T.T.’s Scotcharoos as possible. I did, however, buy all of the ingredients at Whole Foods, so most of them were at least organic. You know, because organic corn syrup and cane sugar are different than the conventional stuff—kidding, obviously. The freshly ground peanut butter seemed to make a difference though. That flavor came through nice and strong! Yum!

photo (2)

My sister said she loved her birthday Scotcharoos! Yay!

Look at that pouty face! I don’t think Matthew liked our singing.

I loved the birthday card that I gave my sister yesterday, and it definitely cracked her up too.

photo (3)

The image on the front reminded me of something that happened when we were kids. I told my sister to eat cat food when we were at my Grammie’s house (I swear, all of the ridiculous things we did as kids happened at Grammie’s house), and she did. It was just Meow Mix (the dry cat food), but I didn’t think she’d actually do it. Well, she ate it and she did it without hesitation.

I still have no idea why she even listened to me. Maybe she was curious? Or hungry? Maybe it was just because I was her big sister? She probably just wanted to make me laugh. (Truthfully, I tried the Meow Mix too, but only because my curiosity was killing me!)

Anyway, inside the card said: “You’ve come a long way, Sis.” Haha!

Even though it wasn’t his birthday, my mom sent me home with a present for Murphy.

IMG_6216

He was pumped!

IMG_6217

Murphy loves presents!

IMG_6218

What is it?

IMG_6224

My mom bought Murphy a kiddie pool so he can cool off when it’s too hot for pugs.

IMG_6226

Despite his less-than-enthusiatic expression, I swear he liked it!

IMG_6228

Questions of the Day

What ridiculous thing did you do as a kid because one of your siblings suggested it?

Have you ever eaten cat (or dog) food?

P.S. For the pug lovers: 41 Reasons Why Pugs Are The Most Majestic Creatures On Earth. (We already knew this though, right?)

Kelly September 19, 2013 at 7:52 am

HA! I think eating pet food as a kid is more common than you think (or at least I like to think so!). When I was a kid, my brother dared me to eat a piece of a Beggin’ Strip (the bacon flavored dog treat)… so I did… and it wasn’t half bad ;)

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats September 19, 2013 at 8:07 am

Haha that is too funny! No I never ate cat food! Or pet food.

Looks like your sister had a great birthday and a great cake too :)

Ashlee September 19, 2013 at 8:24 am

I have a younger brother by 4 years and when we were little I got him to wear nail polish on his toes. I was told to take it off not too long after but I got him to wear it. And I have totally eaten cat food. Apparently when I was little, that was a favorite snack of mine when my parents weren’t looking. It was the dry stuff too though.

Sara @ sarasmiles September 19, 2013 at 9:25 am

Oh my gosh your nephew is adorable!

I never actually ate cat food, but when my best friend and I were little (like 5-6), we used to pretend we were cats and drink milk out of a bowl on the floor. How weird is that?!

Lindsay September 19, 2013 at 10:18 am

Oh how funny, I have an Aunt TT too! Her name is actually Kristan, so I’m still not 100% sure how we ended up on TT, but something about my older sister not being able to pronounce Kristan. Small world!

Emily K @ Leaf Parade September 19, 2013 at 10:59 am

Organic corn syrup… hehe ;)

Sometimes you’ve just gotta go for it! Hope your sister had a great birthday!

Alyssa September 19, 2013 at 11:03 am

Aww, Matthew’s little smile is so adorable!! I’m sure he’ll LOVE Murphy!

My older brother would definitely have me do crazy things. One in particular I remember is when I was maybe 9 or 10. We got these new neighbors next door that were kind of rude. So my brother & his friend took little plastic baggies & filled them up with random things (chicken wings, raw eggs, ketchup, & yes, even poop!) & told me to throw them at the house. Being an obedient little sister, I did it. So disgusting lmao.

I did try eating cat food once because my friend asked me to. We even made a video of it lol.

Amelia September 19, 2013 at 1:13 pm

We never had a cat so there wasn’t a chance to convince anyone to eat cat food. BUT – my friend had this huge tank full of fish so a bunch of friends…or maybe it was just me and my friend with the fish tank…decided to try fish food. You know that flaky stuff that kinda melts when it hits water. Yep, that’s what we tried. I’m not sure we were all that convinced it was good but we sure tried to convince others that it was!

There may have been a time when I tried to convince my sister to eat some dry dog food that had fallen to the floor of the grocery store. Big sister’s can have some pretty convincing ideas!

Amelia September 19, 2013 at 1:19 pm

@Amelia: I had to add…I also tried to pierce my sister’s ears with a pair of earrings that I had bought for a friend as a gift. My sister sat through me icing her ear more than a few times but I chickened out knowing how much trouble I would have been in. I was probably 10 or 11. What was I thinking?!

Tina September 19, 2013 at 8:25 pm

Haha! Definitely agree!

pippa@popovertopippas September 19, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Aaah, this is so funny! My older sister and I did the exact same thing to our younger sister when we were at my grandfather’s house, and she definitely ate the cat food too:)

Taylor @ Single-tracked Mind September 19, 2013 at 1:56 pm

That baby is too cute!! It’s crazy the things siblings make each other do…definitely terrorized my little sister when we were kids.

Ashley September 19, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Happy birthday, sis!

She sure does make ADORABLE kiddos. . . my goodness that little man!

Samantha @ 10,000 Squats September 19, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Never heard of scotcharoos before! Looks tasty though. Your sister looks really happy on her birthday! Love the pic of you two when you were younger. :) Aaaaannd no I’ve never eaten cat or dog food. Gross! haha.

Lindsay@LifeAfterDairy September 19, 2013 at 4:06 pm

Wait, do you use peanut butter chips instead of butterscotch chips?! But butterscotch chips is where the “scotch” in “scotcharoo” comes from!

Mary September 19, 2013 at 5:18 pm

I never had a strong desire to try pet food, although I vaguely remember my brother eating dog food once.
    My birthday is 31st October, so I used to tell my brother I was a witch when I was younger and make him do loads of stuff cos otherwise ‘I would cast spells on him’!

Alisha @ Alisha's Appetite September 19, 2013 at 6:11 pm

My parents actually had to get rid of their cat when I was just about a year old because I wouldn’t stop eating the cat food ;) hehehe

Courtney September 19, 2013 at 6:39 pm

There is a hidden menu at Panera – I would recommend the Power Meditteranean Chicken Salad ;) https://www.panerabread.com/en-us/articles/access-into-paneras-hidden-menu.html

Tina September 19, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Hidden menu? Whaaat?

Courtney September 20, 2013 at 9:46 am

@Tina: Mediterranean* I ordered one last night and they forgot the bacon and the eggs :( But it was exciting to order it and the chicken was excellent!

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance September 19, 2013 at 8:36 pm

My sister and I played a game called, “Let’s blind fold Christina and make her eat different things so she can try to guess what it is.” This turned into, “Let’s blind fold Christina and mix the nastiest ingredients together and get Christina to guess them.” This led to my sister feeding me wet dog food. I spit it out and balled my eyes out for a good hour.

Tina September 19, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Awww!

Morgan September 20, 2013 at 8:01 pm

I never did anything like eat cat food (I might have, I really have no idea…) but I did tell my poor little bother that my feet smelled like cherries. They did not. He smelled them. It was gross. Sorry bro!

Britani Sidwell October 1, 2013 at 12:30 pm

twothings:

you and your sis look like you could be twinkies in that picture from the wedding.
    Also, i love that you have an Aunt you call T.T. When all my nieces and nephews were super little, they couldn’t say Britani so they called me TT and the nickname has stuck <3