• Last Week’s Workouts & What I Learned from Summer Running

September 3, 2013

Hi, guys!

I took off yesterday and Sunday from any sort of physical activity. Ok, actually, that’s a lie. I cleaned our entire house from top to bottom on Sunday and took Murphy for a long walk yesterday, but I didn’t do a CrossFit/running/barre/yoga workout because last week’s sweat sessions really kicked my butt. After Thursday’s long run and Saturday’s KFIT workout, my body felt totally and utterly exhausted, so I knew I definitely needed a couple of days of rest. I’m feeling a lot more energized today, but I’m still planning to take it semi-easy at CrossFit this afternoon. With that said, here are last week’s workouts:

Sunday: Off

Monday: CrossFit

Monday’s WOD was short and sweet: EMOM 8 (Every Minute on the Minute for 8 minutes) 3-5 Power Cleans + 10 Air Squats. Three to five reps? That means the weight for this workout was heavy. The Rx weight was 135 pounds for ladies, which is, hello, my 1RM (1 rep max), so I opted for Level 3 (105 pounds). That weight was still pretty heavy for me, and the fact that I used over 100 pounds for a workout still blows my mind—and I did 24 reps! Crazy. I’ve come a long way.

photo (4) (480x640)

Tuesday: CrossFit

Tuesday’s WOD was my favorite kind of workout: long-ish with all sorts of fun CrossFit-y moves. I don’t remember my exact time, but it was definitely a good/tough workout. The Burpee Wallballs were brutal and took forever!

photo (3) (480x640)

Wednesday: Off

Thursday: 12.5 miles

12.5 mile run

Friday: Off

Saturday: KFIT

I worked out at KFIT on Saturday morning. It was my first class, and I loved it! I don’t know why I waited so long to take a class!

photo (1) (640x640)

The workouts at KFIT are typically a mix of a bootcamp-style class and CrossFit class, so they’re high-intensity and challenging. Kerrie programmed “Blake,” a CrossFit hero WOD, for Saturday morning. (She substituted push-ups for the Hand Stand Push-Ups.) It was a tough workout and my glutes were sore for days! Holy walking lunges!

During this workout, I really struggled with the box jumps and took a bunch of breaks to rest, which is something I don’t normally do. I can usually do 30 box jumps unbroken without much trouble, but I must have stopped at least two or three times each round. My body felt so tired. I guess I was still recovering from Thursday (or the multiple glasses of sangria the night before)? Running long distances takes so much out of me—I was pretty much useless on Thursday once I finished those 12.5 miles. Maybe it carried over until Saturday morning?

photo (2) (480x640)

Health News & Views

At the beginning of summer this past June, after a 6-month hiatus, I started running again on a regular basis. It took me a little while to get back into the swing of things, but once I figured out what worked best for me, especially with regard to summer running, I finally got into a groove and started to see some improvements.

Now that the weather is starting to cool down and fall is upon us, I’m taking what I learned this past summer and transitioning it to my fall routine. (I’m training for a half marathon after all!) Here’s what I learned from summer running!

3 Things I Learned From Summer Running

summer_running

Questions of the Day

How many rest days do you usually take each week?

What are you going to miss most about summer workouts?

Amy @ The Little Honey Bee September 3, 2013 at 3:19 pm

I really admire how you listen to your body in regards to rest. I usually take one rest day a week. I am really going to miss the summer weather… I dislike running in the cold!

Audrey @ In Shape Cupcake September 3, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Awesome week of workouts, Tina! Those pink boxes look so cool, love it!
    I had to take a break on Saturday after a full week of lots of cardio and strength training together. But Sept 1 I started at it again and working up my miles for September

Shel@PeachyPalate September 3, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Definitely running outside…I’m not a fan of the winter elements!

Chrissy September 3, 2013 at 3:37 pm

KFIT looks awesome! I think that’s a really great idea for some ladies who want to try CrossFit but are timid about working out with guys. That’s surprisingly common.

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves September 3, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Looks like some kick-butt workouts! Especially the burpee one!
    I usually take 2-3 rest days a week and I think my body appreciates them a lot.

Danica September 3, 2013 at 3:39 pm

I usually take 1 rest day each week, but sometimes there will be an extra if I can tell I need it.

Becky @ Olives n Wine September 3, 2013 at 3:40 pm

I’m going to miss how easy it is to just step outside and go on a run! That is what I really do not like about winter. Everything takes SO much longer when you have to change into boots and put a jacket on!

Annette@FitnessPerks September 3, 2013 at 3:47 pm

It sounds like you had a really nice week–a good mix of stuff and rest. Way to go! I always take at least 1 day of rest -sometimes more, depending on the week.

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries September 3, 2013 at 4:41 pm

I typically take two rest days per week, sometimes three! I’ll miss my outdoor workouts most… I’ll still do some outdoor workouts throughout the fall months, but not when it starts getting super cold.

Heather @fitncookies September 3, 2013 at 5:04 pm

I typically take Sundays as my only rest day. Sometimes i need more, which is fine! I am going to miss the minimal amount of clothing required. I hate getting bundled up in the winter to run. Shorts and a t-shirt please!!

Sarah @ Sweet Miles September 3, 2013 at 5:07 pm

I’m going to miss not having to pile on multiple layers! It’s so easy during the summer to just throw on shorts and a tank and run out the door, whereas in the winter it feels like it takes me forever to get layered up! Awesome workouts, btw!

Corrie Anne September 3, 2013 at 5:09 pm

105!! Woohoo!! That is pretty impressive!! I want to try that buck furpees wod — I love long wods.

Madison September 3, 2013 at 5:44 pm

I typically take one rest day and then additionally take one “lighter” day where I do yoga or something low impact. I have learned that I do better and have more energy in my other workouts when I allow my body to rest. :)

michelle kim September 3, 2013 at 5:49 pm

I try to take one full, complete rest day per week. I had two in a row, and it makes me insanely antsy. I may need to go on a long run now (it luckily doesn’t take much out of me… but I’m pretty sure I would need to take a few breaks doing box jumps anyways :P).

Nikki @ grab your kicks September 3, 2013 at 6:57 pm

I try to take 2 rest days a week. Sometimes there’s no need to “try” because my schedule gets so busy! I’m going to miss the beautiful weather in summer, swimming, and grilling out.

Alex @ Kenzie Life September 3, 2013 at 7:18 pm

I’m going to miss the time I could devote to workouts! This summer I was really good about doing Pure Barre 3 times a week and at least 2 runs a week. I also added in a bit of hiking and walking around mountains and parks, but last week was my first week of post-bacc classes, and having an hour commute each way ate up a lot of time. This week I hope to get back to Pure Barre after a week off to let myself acclimate to classes/student life again. We’ll see how it goes!

Katie @ Balanced RD September 3, 2013 at 7:25 pm

I try to workout 6 days per week! It’s always good to have a rest day or two :) I am definitely going to miss warm evening walks! It will be snowing where I’m from soon!!!!

Renee September 3, 2013 at 8:19 pm

I usually have 2 rest days per week. Or at least that’s my schedule these days. I think I’ll miss the days being so long in the summer.. even though fall weather is GORGEOUS, I think I start to lose a lot of motivation when the days get shorter.

padma September 3, 2013 at 9:28 pm

I miss crossfit so much!!!! I need to find a way to balance med school and crossfit. I’m back at the regular gym and it’s so boring compared to crossfit.

Beth J September 3, 2013 at 9:36 pm

So I’m curious….you seem really in tune with what your body needs and this is something I struggle with (I always second-guess myself when I feel like I need a break from working out….). Do you have telltale signs you watch for and respond to in order to clue you in to when your body needs a break?

Annie @ my fuel and fitness diaries September 3, 2013 at 9:58 pm

I usually have one full rest day after my long run on saturday, but 2-3 other pretty easy days. I cant handle more than 2-3 really hard workouts.

Im going to miss just being able to run out of my apartment in a tank and shorts and jump in the car to go to the gym most…I HATE having to put on like 5 layers of clothes, and boots, and clean the snow off of my car in the middle of winter to go get my sweat on.

Amy @ crazysweatymommy September 3, 2013 at 10:07 pm

Going to miss a runner’s tan—-up next, wind burn!

heathyr September 3, 2013 at 10:21 pm

Awesome workouts – KFit sounds like so much fun! I agree with Chrissy up above who said it’s a great option for those that can get intimidated by CrossFit. I’ve attended my 1st two CF workouts in the past 3 weeks and I loved them – totally killer but can be intimidating. I’d love to join but can’t justify it at this point since I need to keep my Y membership.

I usually take 1 day off (Sundays); sometimes none but I’ve been trying to listen to my body too.

Gianna September 3, 2013 at 10:24 pm

My coach has one rest day built in. I run 5, xtrain only 1 and rest 1. Also have strength and core work built in.
    Marathon training so running anywhere from 40-50+ miles a week so obviously my workouts are run centric!
    I will definitely miss my beach runs. Running along the beach and cooling off in the water is perfection. Will NOT miss the humidity!!

Ashley September 3, 2013 at 10:29 pm

I normally take one rest day per week, but I’m really trying to work on flexibility. I’m not good at giving myself a break sometimes.

Annie@herightfit.com September 4, 2013 at 12:47 am

I generally don’t take any “true” rest days but twice a week I will take a yin yoga class, which relaxes the CNS system and just feels really wonderful. One of those days I will usually pair it with a run. I used to not take any rest days but as I get older, I need them more often.

Lisa September 4, 2013 at 12:53 am

Hahaha! Omg leave it to crossfitters to take a burpee and make it even less fun–burpee wall balls!! Whats your favorite burpee combo move? I like burpee thrusters. It just feels cools to jump down into a plank with your hands on the bar.

Hali September 4, 2013 at 2:10 am

I try to take 2 rest days… totally depends on how I am feeling sometimes though. I have learned the hard way that pushing it is NOT worth it if you end up injured! I really want to try crossfit, sounds like such an awesome workout! Keep it up girl!

Jamie @ fitfortherun September 4, 2013 at 6:29 am

I always take at least 1 rest day a week, but sometimes more it just depends. I’m not going to miss much about summer workouts, me and the heat do not get along. But ask me again in a few months when there is 2 feet of snow on the ground and I’m sure I’ll say that I miss everything about it :)

Jess - Sweet Potato Runs September 4, 2013 at 7:31 am

Hi Tina,
    I discovered your blog last month and it really is an absolute treasure! It just makes me smile :) Living in London our summer has been hotter than usual (for a change) I am also training for a half and really prefer morning runs over evening ones. I think it puts you in the right “mode” for the day. I also drink a coconut water by the bucket loads now!

Big love for Carrots n Cake
    x

Sarah (Shh...Fit Happens) September 4, 2013 at 11:04 am

I love working out outside. I teach a bootcamp outside and enjoy the space and fresh air!! KFit sounds like a great program, wish I lived closer to check it out!

Amelia September 4, 2013 at 12:20 pm

I don’t know what I consider a rest day…last night I ran with a running group and the run was challenging. This morning there was no “working out” and no running planned but I did get off the Metro 4 stops early to walk into work. It’s a really lite day but I’ll work out tomorrow, Friday, and possibly Saturday. So even if it’s a rest day, I’m still active.

She Rocks Fitness September 4, 2013 at 4:24 pm

I always take a least 1 FULL rest day. If I don’t it will catch up with later in the week and my workout will feel pretty crappy. I actually took 2 full rest days this past weekend and it felt AWESOME. Still feels like summer in Houston, so I soaking it all up while I can. :)

Molly September 5, 2013 at 12:44 pm

I usually only take Friday as a full rest day. When I get invited out for coffee or friends time – then I just miss half my workout – my evening run and walk with the dog.

What I’ll miss about summer running – not being cold to start off with (I hate being cold) and the dry sidewalks/trails – running in the snow is fun for the first few minutes, but then your shoes and socks are soaked and you just feel like your legs are so heavy and you have to really pick them up to make it through the inches of snow cover.

Courtney @ Don't Blink. Just Run. September 5, 2013 at 8:50 pm

I typically take 1 complete rest day per week. I have 3 days running, plus 3 days strength and some days with both.

I won’t miss the heat and humidity of summer running, but I’ll definitely miss the long hours of sunshine and not having to wear 50 layers of clothing to run outside.

Heathyr September 15, 2013 at 7:05 pm

I tried this Blake WOD today after a 3 mile speed run because I didn’t ink it sounded that bad. Boy, that was a mistake! This was no joke and it kicked my butt! I have to try it again because I was so unhappy with my time (close to 20 minutes). Thanks for always sharing your WODs – I love following along and trying them on my own!