• Home Is Where The Pug Is

September 28, 2013

Hooray! I’m hoooommmmeeeee!

While I love traveling and adventures, I’m starting to realize I’m much more of a homebody than I thought. Hanging out with Mal and Murphy at home last night—after not seeing them for an entire week—made me so, so, so happy. I felt whole again, and I missed them so much.

When I got home from Rhode Island yesterday afternoon, I gave Murphy the biggest pug hug ever. Home is where the pug is.

IMG_6604

And Murphy was happy to see me, too. He grabbed his favorite stuffed toy and paraded around the living room, showing it off to me and wagging his tail so hard. It was adorable.

After my warm (pug) welcome home, I started to unpack. My stuff pretty much exploded all over the living room floor, so Murphy kept me company while I organized things. He’s a nosy, little pug, so he examined everything with a nice, long, flat face (aka super close) sniff and then watched me put it all away. (Kind of like the photo below, but much worse!)

suitcase explosion

Not even 10 minutes later, the mailman delivered our mail, which caused Murphy to go into guard dog-mode and bark like an insane freak. This habit is super annoying and embarrasses me every time the mailman (or FedEx or UPS man) comes to our house.

photo (4)

Mal and I recently started to bribe train Murphy not to bark when he sees the mailman (or any other passerby, like poor Jeff) with a treat. When I see the mailman coming or Murphy starts to bark at someone outside, I say “quiet” and then give him a treat. He now associates the word “quiet” with not barking and, of course, a treat. Pugs will do anything for food.

We usually keep a small cup of treats on the kitchen counter for easy access, but they were all gone when I went to grab one, so I reached into Murphy’s food container to reward him for being “quiet.”

And inside was the skull!! Haha! Good one, Mal!

skull surprise

Mal and I ate Lime Leaf for dinner.

lime-leaf

Cake pops for dessert.

IMG_6613

And then went to bed at 7:30 PM. For real. It was a rockin’ Friday night. We both fell asleep while watching TV, so when we woke up, we just climbed into bed. We’re like 95 years old. It’s cool.

Health News & Views

It’s that time of year again. Bring on the pumpkin recipes!

Fall is my favorite time of year, and I cannot get enough of the sweet, cinnamon-infused, pumpkin-packed baked goods of the season. Pumpkin pie, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin pancakes… oh, I love them all!

I recently hopped on the pumpkin train and created my own gluten-free recipe for pumpkin bread. It combines nutrient-packed pumpkin with satisfying coconut and chewy raisins for a delectable autumn treat. This pumpkin bread is so good, you won’t even know it’s gluten-free!

A Gluten-Free Pumpkin Coconut Bread Recipe

gluten-free pumpkin bread

Finish this sentence:

Home is where the ________ is.

Kendall September 28, 2013 at 9:28 am

I’m such a homebody too! Friday nights are usually reserved for tv and Clementine sleeping on my chest.

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat September 28, 2013 at 9:52 am

I’m such a homebody too! It’s nice to get away sometimes, but home is where the heart is!

Jodea @ chillichocolatelove September 28, 2013 at 9:53 am

Home is where the family is. My dog goes ape when people knock on the door too. Very embarrassing! Loving the skull!

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl September 28, 2013 at 9:54 am

As much fun as it is to travel, it’s always best being back home!!

Nicole @ FruitnFitness September 28, 2013 at 10:13 am

I’m a big homebody too! I love to travel and explore but always love to get home. For me home is where my goldendoodle, Bentley, is! Nothing beter than coming home and being greeted with his big waggly body, when he gets excited his whole body moves, and excitement.

Coco September 28, 2013 at 10:54 am

Home is where the fiance is. He still makes my heart flutter after 3 years :)

Shannon P. September 28, 2013 at 10:56 am

Home is where the family is, whether that means my husband, my parents, my brothers, etc.! My husband and I had our first “down” night in about a month last night, and it was amazing. It’s always good to re-charge with your loved ones. P.S. I recently bought my Mom a sign that says “Home is wherever Mom is!” :-)

Rachel September 28, 2013 at 10:57 am

Home is where the Boston Terrier is for me! :)

Bethany September 28, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Home is where my pup is also. I have a 5 year old chocolate lab, Jameson who is my buddy. I love to travel, not as much as you, but it is great to come hone to that face.

emily:2:design:cents September 28, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Home is where the happiness is:)

Lisa September 28, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Home is where the Shih Tzu is! :-)

Eating 4 Balance September 28, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Aw.. Cutest post title ever!

Sammy @ Peace Love and Ice Cream September 28, 2013 at 1:54 pm

They say absence makes the heart grow fonder so of course with a week away you couldn’t wait to come home! It’s nice to go away but it’s nice when you enjoy being home too! lol My dog also goes nuts whenever we have a knock at the door – it’s so annoying and yes, a little embarrassing too! Sometimes the body just needs to crash…you had a crazy week! And is that a Starbucks cake pop? My sons are OBSESSED!
    -Sammy @ peaceandloveandicecream.blogspot.com

Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama September 28, 2013 at 2:03 pm

LOVE the Murphy pictures!!! Look at that tongue! LOL

Home is where I dream. Home is where my fire is lit. Home is where my passion becomes a reality. Home is where I feel powerful!

Shel@PeachyPalate September 28, 2013 at 3:06 pm

The kitchen is! One I can make ample use of! My dog barks so much at the postman (mail man or any delivery person) that we had to get an external letter box. She injured her leg jumping up like a loon at the letter box in the door (it was half way up and she used to shred everything to pieces!!)

Jen September 28, 2013 at 3:23 pm

I visited one of my students at college last week (I’m a HS teacher), and there was a sign on her dorm room door that said, “Home is where the wifi automatically connects.” I died; so true!

Tina September 28, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Haha! So true!!

tiffany September 28, 2013 at 4:34 pm

right now, home is wherever my bed and refrigerator are. haha!
    that pug tongue…it kills meeee. :D

Heidi @ Idlehide September 28, 2013 at 4:59 pm

where the border collie is for me:D It’s super fun to come home to your pet!

Michelle K September 28, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Home is where the pugs are for me too. I have 2 of them.

Tina September 30, 2013 at 8:33 am

@Michelle K: Pugs come in pairs from what I hear! :)

Cindy September 28, 2013 at 8:43 pm

I fell asleep on the couch after putting my niece to bed last night….at 7:30. Can we blame CrossFit for wiping us out?? Haha! Whatever the reason, I was exhausted!! Cheers to early bedtimes on Friday nights.

Tina September 30, 2013 at 8:34 am

@Cindy: Ha! YES! CrossFit is exhausting!

Caroline @ Adventures in Living Lean September 28, 2013 at 8:50 pm

Home is where I make it. I’m in the process of turning my apartment into a home after living with my dad for a few years after college.

Kathy @ www.realfoodandrealfitness.com September 28, 2013 at 10:19 pm

Home is where the family is. I just love your site!

Tina September 28, 2013 at 10:20 pm

Aww, thank you! 😄

Naomi September 28, 2013 at 11:09 pm

Home is where the husband is :)

Kelsey @ Ramblings of Change September 29, 2013 at 10:12 am

I’m a big homebody too, and I think that’s okay for all of us who are! There is a beauty of being able to enjoy yourself in your own home and your hometown as well.

Alex @ Kenzie Life September 29, 2013 at 11:10 am

Home is where the pug is! (and in my case also a dog whose breed is completely unidentifiable but she looks like a fox!)

Heather Saffer September 29, 2013 at 8:43 pm

So um how much of the pumpkin bread is ok to eat in one night? Because I um made it and um… just ate 1/3. But it’s paleo so that’s ok, right? Riiiight???!

Tina September 29, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Haha! Of course! 😉

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance September 30, 2013 at 10:29 am

Oh it’s always nice to come home! Home is wherever my husband is. We’ve lived on different continents and I can always say that no matter how foreign the place is, I feel at home wherever he is! :)

alana September 30, 2013 at 11:05 am

Coming home to puppies (and significant others) is the best! I’m going to have to try your treat-to-shut-up trick. One of our dogs is constantly on neighborhood watch, it drives us insane. We call her the neighborhood’s little old lady who’s constantly peering through the curtains, yelling at all the damn kids to get off of our lawn, haha!

Ashley September 30, 2013 at 5:39 pm

Home is where the hubby is :). The two of us have been through a lot in our 4.5 years, including quite a few homes. . . but no matter what as long as I’ve got him there it feels like home.
    (Cheezy moment, I apologize)