• 10 Miles + “Hawk” WOD

September 11, 2013

Good morning!

Guess what day it is!?

Happy Hump Day!!!

Of course, Mal and I started our day by quoting the “Happy as a Camel on Hump Day” commercial. The “Mike, Mike, Mike…” part is my favorite, which, obviously, translated to “Mal, Mal, Mal… what day is it, Mal?” Haha! Ok, we’re five years old.

So, I ran 10 miles yesterday! Yay! (I still get excited about long runs in the double digits!)

10 miles! yay!

I planned to meet Kerrie again at KFIT to run the middle miles together (since they’re always the hardest for me), so I ran 4 miles before I met her.

• Mile 1: 9:14
    • Mile 2: 8:47
    • Mile 3: 8:49
    • Mile 4: 8:59

It was a cool, gray morning—perfect for a long run—and, at one point, it started to sprinkle a little, which was kind of nice. The light rain felt so nice.

well water

When I met Kerrie after my four miles, I was still feeling pretty good, but after a couple of miles with her, my legs felt so, so, so heavy. There were a few hills on our route, which just felt horrible, but I wanted to keep up with her, so I trucked along the best I could. Kerrie eventually pulled ahead for the final mile or so, but I was only about 30 seconds behind her. I just tried to keep her in sight! (I forgot my GU at home, and I was definitely missing it yesterday!)

• Mile 5: 8:56
    • Mile 6: 9:01
    • Mile 7: 9:29
    • Mile 8: 9:32

weymouth lake

Back at KFIT, I grabbed some water, said goodbye to Kerrie, and set out to run the final two miles on my own.

• Mile 9: 9:20
    • Mile 10: 9:30

Total: 1:33:24 (9:20)

This time, I managed not to eat dirt like I did at the end of my last long run. In the picture below, you see how it’s just regular sidewalk and then BOOM: tons of sand? I managed to fall exactly in that spot. I was seriously so dirty! Haha!

Here's where I ate dirt.

I’m really glad I waited to do my long run until yesterday because I was still sore from “Black Hawk Down” on Saturday morning. That workout was so hard, but so fun at the same time, and it inspired the workout below for you guys! ENJOY!

Notes: The walking lunges are 50 total, so 25 lunges on each leg. For the medicine ball thrusters, use a weight that is challenging, but remember there’s 50 reps. (Little tip: Break them into sets of 10.) If you don’t have access to a medicine ball, you can use a dumbbell instead. I put Air Squats and then Squats later, but they’re the same thing. Sorry for the confusion!

On what day of the week were you born?

I’m a Thursday baby. “Thursday’s child has far to go.” I’m not sure what that means? Is “far to go” a good thing or a bad thing?

P.S. Just a quick reminder: I’m hosting a Twitter chat tomorrow (Thursday) at 1:00 PM (EST) with The Laughing Cow. We’ll be chatting about how to get into a good routine, workouts to enjoy in the cooler weather, and new snacks to take advantage of in the fall. I hope you can make it! The hashtag is #FallRoutines.

Never forget 9/11/01

Jamie @ fitfortherun September 11, 2013 at 7:25 am

Yikes that workout looks like a good one. I’m a big baby when it comes to running after any kind of lower body workout!

Tom T. September 11, 2013 at 10:52 am

This does look to be a challenging workout with a run at the beginning and at the end. How do you pace those runs (or recommend pacing those runs)?

Born on a Wednesday according to the internet and everything on the internet is true right?

Heather @fitncookies September 11, 2013 at 7:37 am

You’re a champ on your run! Awesome job!! I would definitely think Hawk would keep you from a long run! haha When is your half that you are running?

Tina September 11, 2013 at 7:42 am

I’m running two! One is mid-October and then other one is in early-November.

Lisa Runs for Cupcakes September 11, 2013 at 7:40 am

Double digit runs always give me a boost too! Seems like your training is going really well too :)

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat September 11, 2013 at 8:01 am

Oh yes, I’m definitely glad it’s Hump Day! Congrats on the 10 mile run! That’s awesome!

This is terrible, but I don’t know what day of the week I was born. I’m going to have to ask my mom when I talk to her later.

Shel@PeachyPalate September 11, 2013 at 8:09 am

Now that is random…Thursday as well though!!! Well done on the run, great pace! Totally pinning the workout!

Lisa September 11, 2013 at 8:10 am

I’m guessing that commercial is a US one, since I’ve never seen it before;)
    I also can’t believe it’s already Wednesday – the week is just flying by.
    Congrats on your 10 mile run! that’s great!
    Oh man, I also have no idea what day of the week I was born. That’s kind of sad, I’ll have to do a check up.

Kim@hungryhealthygirl September 11, 2013 at 8:20 am

Way to go on the 10 miles and I’m so glad that you didn’t eat dirt! I have 10 miles on the running plan for this weekend. Wish me luck!

Tina September 11, 2013 at 8:24 am

Meg K September 11, 2013 at 8:27 am

I’m a Wednesday baby! Maybe that is why I never get sick of the camel commercial :) Great job on your run!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 11, 2013 at 8:49 am

Double digit runs (that I’ve COMPLETED!) will always make me giddy!! I still have a couple more weeks before I have one of those on the calendar but as my 1/2 marathon inches closer and closer, they’re coming and I’m trying not to let them scare me!

Karen @ Runner Girl Eats September 11, 2013 at 8:52 am

I think double digits are always a big deal! I can’t wait to do the Hawk workout! It looks killer.

sara @ Fitcupcaker September 11, 2013 at 8:53 am

wish I could join that chat but ill be working :( What a tough workout! Ill have to try this one next time I need a vacation wod, or when I have to workout on my own.

Becky @ Olives n Wine September 11, 2013 at 8:58 am

Way to go on the 10 miles and not eating dirt! 😉 I actually have no idea what day of the week I was born… I think it was a Saturday or a Sunday. Maybe that’s why I like weekends so much!

Lauren September 11, 2013 at 9:10 am

I mean, I know it’s a humpday and all, but it’s not exactly ANY hump day. I’m surprised you didn’t turn the Hawk workout into a “Patriot’s” workout.

simi @ themicroharvest.com September 11, 2013 at 9:12 am

Nice splits! I am running a half at the end of October and have my 10-miler this weekend, so this post is great motivation!!

Sarah @ Sweet Miles September 11, 2013 at 9:12 am

Nice 10 miler!!!! Double digits are such a mental block for me, so that’s extra exciting!!

Linda @ running4two September 11, 2013 at 9:33 am

Awesome job! Long runs always feel so good…when they are over!

I’m a Tuesday baby! I just had to Google it. :)

Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food September 11, 2013 at 9:41 am

Nice workout! I may adapt that to fit into my hotel gym this afternoon.

Tina September 11, 2013 at 9:43 am

I was actually thinking it’d make a great travel WOD!

Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run September 11, 2013 at 11:13 am

@Tina: When I go to NYC next month, I’m certainly going to “pack” some CNC travel WODS :)

Samantha @ 10,000 Squats September 11, 2013 at 9:56 am

Wow someone should clean up that dirt patch on the path! Great time on your run though, looks like you were really moving! Hopefully by next spring I’ve got the leg muscles to keep up with you. :) I’ll see if I can be there for the twitter chat!

Amanda @ There Are 2 Sides September 11, 2013 at 10:09 am

I am a Saturday baby I believe, my birthday is actually tomorrow. 32 here I come!

Tina September 11, 2013 at 10:13 am

Happy (early) birthday!!

Rita September 11, 2013 at 10:38 am

I love that commercial too. My boyfriends name is Mike so every Wed I say that to him. We are 5 years old as well :-)

Tina September 11, 2013 at 10:57 am

jen September 11, 2013 at 10:45 am

My brother’s a mike, so he’s been getting the mike mike mike a lot. I’m a Saturday baby, is it bad I had to look that up lol!

Emily @ The Good Era September 11, 2013 at 10:59 am

My hubby and I quote the hump day commercial too! Every week we yell at each other…” HUUUUMP DAAAAY” haha I guess we’re 5 year old’s too 😉

Aurora@Fitness is Sweet September 11, 2013 at 11:06 am

I feel the same about long runs! I have a 10 miler this weekend. For some reason, 10 miles used to be SO intimidating (like more so than 9.9). Double digits is a big deal!

Jamie H. September 11, 2013 at 11:15 am

Wow, I have no idea what day I was born. I could probably check haha.

I agree with you on still feeling that rush post-double-digit run. Nothing like that feeling. Would love to check out your Twitter chat!

Karen R @www.fabinyour40s.com September 11, 2013 at 11:28 am

Did you see this article? Signs you addicted to Crossfit. The scenarios are under the pictures. I didn’t see that at first!

Tina September 11, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Haha! That’s awesome!

Karen R @www.fabinyour40s.com September 11, 2013 at 3:21 pm

I thought of you when I read it. Had to share. :)

BN September 11, 2013 at 11:29 am

Thanks for the workout! How long does/should Hawk take (ignoring the time for the mile runs, which will obviously vary person to person)? Thanks!

Im a Tuesday baby – not sure what that means :)

Katie @ running4cupcakes September 11, 2013 at 11:51 am

I LOVE that commercial!! I actually got a text from my husband this morning saying “HUMP DAAAAAAY!” :)

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats September 11, 2013 at 11:55 am

I just had to google what day of the week I was born to double check: FRIDAY!

Melisa September 11, 2013 at 11:58 am

thanks for the hawk. I love the pinnable work-outs.

Sarah G. September 11, 2013 at 12:39 pm

I live for my long runs – seriously! They make me so happy. Especially in cooler, more fall-ish weather. :)

Sara @ Zero to Sixy September 11, 2013 at 12:42 pm

The “Black Hawk Down” down sounds like an amazing workout! :) I need to try that! I have never ran double digits, getting there though. :)

Abi Goldberg September 11, 2013 at 1:36 pm

I was born on a friday, which is why everyone loves them so much 😉

Alyssa September 11, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Awesome job on the run! I wish I could run more, but my knees give out after just 10 minutes :(

I was born on a Friday. Best day of the week!

Jackie September 11, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Happy hump day!

Ashley September 11, 2013 at 1:49 pm

I have no idea what day of the week I was born, but now I’m interested!

And congrats on another great run! Looks like you are right back into your running shoes no problem!

Rachel @ Undercover Diva: A Sitcom September 11, 2013 at 3:28 pm

I have 10 miles on my agenda for Monday :) I always get excited about all long runs. I love long runs…even if I dread them in the morning when I start them. I was born on a Tuesday :)

Sierra @ Posh Meets Pavement September 11, 2013 at 5:04 pm

I call these sandwich workouts (only in my head, not out loud) because it starts and ends with the same thing and there is a big chunk of exercises in the middle. Mentally, I think these are easier to get through since you know you only have to repeat it once more.

Steph September 11, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Glad you didn’t fall this time around! What a great workout. Can’t wait to try it out :) Thank you!!

erika September 11, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Until you asked your question, I had never really thought about what day of the week I was born. I just googled it and I was born on Saturday, January 1st. :)

Rachel @ Health My Lifestyle September 11, 2013 at 11:44 pm

I was born on a friday! No wonder I’m lazy, haha!
    Way to go on your 10 miles! I just bought new running shoes to motivate me to run more.

How do you keep track of your min/mile for each mile? Does your watch keep record of it?

Tina September 12, 2013 at 6:46 am

Yep! I have the Timex GPS Watch.

Samantha September 12, 2013 at 9:17 am

10 miles in FAR. I hope I can work up to it some day. The longest I’ve ever run is 10km!

Elyssa September 12, 2013 at 10:14 am

NICE JOB on the run after that Hawk workout. I did it this morning and DAMN. That was hard! I was on the 3rd level of the gym and I looked like a rusty robot walking down the stairs to leave!

Liesl @ Fitnessinthekitchen September 17, 2013 at 12:10 pm

This looks like a great workout! I’m writing it in my workout notebook for next time I’m at the gym! Thanks!

Nemesia October 28, 2013 at 9:28 pm

This workout was a challenge! My boyfriend and I took our dog Ranger to the track and did this workout. Ranger ran the 2 miles with us. Loved this ‘HAWK’ workout!

Tina October 29, 2013 at 7:28 am