• Simple Summer Sangria

August 15, 2013

I love everything about summer, especially getting together with friends and family at outdoor parties and barbeques. I mean, who can resist good times, good friends, good food, and good drinks? There’s nothing better than an iced cold cocktail on a hot summer day. Am I right?

When I am hosting a get-together at my home, or when I am invited to attend a barbeque or party, I love making my favorite (ridiculously simple) sangria recipe. It only requires four ingredients, so I can make it quickly before guests arrive or I can pack up all of the ingredients and easily transport them to prepare when I arrive. It’s honestly the easiest recipe ever and everyone loves it. My family and friends now request it at summer parties!

This recipe is also one of the healthiest sangria recipes I have ever encountered. It calls for Barefoot Pinot Grigio and seltzer, so it’s light, refreshing, and relatively low in calories. It’s only sweetened with fresh berries and low-calorie grapefruit soda, so it’s not loaded with sugar and syrupy liquors like some sangria recipes. You can easily enjoy a glass (or two) without guilt!

Simple Summer Sangria

Ingredients:

• 3 750 ml bottles of Barefoot Pinot Grigio
    • 1 2L bottle of grapefruit soda, such as Fresca
    • 1 2L bottle of seltzer
    • 1 3-pound bag of frozen mixed berries

Quick tip: Chill wine, soda, and seltzer at least 24 hours before making the sangria, so everything is nice and cold!

Directions:

In a large container, combine wine, seltzer, and grapefruit soda.

Then, pour in the entire bag of frozen berries. There’s no need for ice because the frozen berries will keep the sangria cold.

Serve immediately or allow berries to pervade the sangria for a sweeter flavor.

This recipe makes approximately 16-20 servings—perfect for a summer get-together!

This post was sponsored by Barefoot Wines. The opinions expressed are all my own.

Mike August 15, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Don’t you have colitis? Why do you keep drinking so much. Just as a friendly – although you probably heard it before – alcohol and colitis isn’t the smartest thing to mix

Tina August 19, 2013 at 8:43 am

Drinking so much? I made this sangria for a 4th of July party, and I only tasted it.

Sierra @ Posh Meets Pavement August 15, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Sangria is one of my favorites, but like your previous post about good and bad, I think this falls into that category. When it is done right, it’s incredible, but sometimes it’s sugary and the wine is hidden. As a wine love, I like to have that taste in there somewhere.

The frozen berries is a good addition. I also love making it in a pitcher with a wooden spoon for a rustic look as well as picking out the marinated fruit chunks.

Hillary @ GRAS Pizza August 15, 2013 at 3:12 pm

This looks awesome! I wonder how it would taste with a NA wine or alternative.

Katie August 15, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Do you think this would be as good with a Chardonnay or do I need to go to the store? ;)

Jenn @ Fairest Run of All August 15, 2013 at 3:40 pm

You don’t by chance have an equally awesome recipe for red sangria, do you? :D

Amy @ The Little Honey Bee August 15, 2013 at 3:47 pm

My fave! Best white sangria is at Fig’s! (Charles Street) Have you had it?!

Tina August 15, 2013 at 3:51 pm

I haven’t! Thanks for the recommendation! :)

Ashley @ Saving Money in your Twenties August 15, 2013 at 3:49 pm

ooooh, this looks awesome! We’re having a housewarming party tomorrow night and this might need to be on the menu…. thanks for the recipe!!!

Ed August 15, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Talk about a good way to get sloppy! Careful when u stand up!

Kelly Brown August 15, 2013 at 3:54 pm

I love Barefoot products. My bro in law works for them. I’ll definitely have to try this out! :)

Jackie August 15, 2013 at 3:56 pm

I can’t wait to try this !!!

Ginny August 15, 2013 at 3:57 pm

Thanks for this recipe!! I love the Barefoot pinot grigio!

Lauren @ Focused To Be Fit August 15, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Just pinned it! I love Sangria and agree that typically, it’s always full of sugar. I can’t wait to try this one – it seems light and refreshing!

Hope @ With A Side Of Hope August 15, 2013 at 4:05 pm

This Sangria sounds incredible! I am a fan of Barefoot wines. I’ll have to try this! :)

Ray Ray August 15, 2013 at 4:09 pm

I always use Barefoot wines for little “cocktails” like this because they’re so good and inexpensive!

Ashlee@HisnHers August 15, 2013 at 4:40 pm

You know what, I make this a LOT at home and to take to the lake during the summer and it never ocurred to me that 1. it was considered Sangria and 2. to use berries ( I always just use limes!). Can’t wait to try it out with berries! mmm. It’s a good way to enjoy a cocktail without drinking too much alcohol too!

Ashlee@HisnHers August 15, 2013 at 4:41 pm

It looks like you are at Courtney Sweet Tooth’s pool haha

JIll August 15, 2013 at 4:50 pm

What a great idea. I am for sure going to write this down to make for our next party. Simple and easy !!

Annette@FitnessPerks August 15, 2013 at 4:53 pm

I love berries & grapefruit combo!

Stephanie August 15, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Delish! LOVE Barefoot! I have made this before with berry sparkling water, but I haven’t tried it with Fresca! On my list to try now!

Danica August 15, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Sangria is probably my absolute favorite (alcoholic) beverage…love this recipe!

Jillienne@ChasingRaspberries August 15, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Yum! Sangria is one of my favorite drinks. I love that you added grapefruit and berries!

Meika August 15, 2013 at 5:49 pm

My absolute favorite wine, and favorite summertime beverage!

Melissa August 15, 2013 at 5:54 pm

Ahh, that truly does look so good, right about now! I’m a big fan of Barefoot wines, I think they are of such high quality, plus they are available in so many great flavors, like my favorite – Moscato!

molly b August 15, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Totally unrelated, but have you ever heard of grass fed in JP? It’s amazing. Alcoholic milkshakes — need I say more? Sounds like a place you and Mal should check out sometime.

Tina August 15, 2013 at 6:48 pm

Mal and I went there just a few weeks ago. Loved it!! :)

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance August 15, 2013 at 7:11 pm

YUM! Love the idea of using grapefruit soda. I could have really used this in my life today. It is 115 degrees here right now!

Helene August 15, 2013 at 7:15 pm

I love the Barefoot Pino Grigio! Good quality and price! The sangria looks so good!

Marty August 15, 2013 at 8:16 pm

Try adding a shot or two of st Germain liquor-it makes all the difference in a summer sangria

Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food August 15, 2013 at 8:31 pm

That looks like my kind of drink! I love sangria, but I hate all the sugary stuff cause it gives me a headache. Great idea!

Amy @ crazysweatymommy August 15, 2013 at 9:17 pm

I’ve seen so many alcohol posts today I swear I’m tipsy by osmosis!

She Rocks Fitness August 15, 2013 at 9:47 pm

LOVE the simplicity of this recipe! Looks fabulous and oh so perfect for any summer party. Thanks for sharing! :)

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More August 15, 2013 at 9:52 pm

YUM! This sounds AMAZING!!!

Jamie @ fitfortherun August 15, 2013 at 9:59 pm

definitely making this before the summer is over :)

Samantha @ 10,000 Squats August 15, 2013 at 10:37 pm

Wow really low cal! That sounds like a great party drink. I’ll have to try making that before summer’s all done!

Luv What You Do August 15, 2013 at 11:10 pm

I am huge sangria fan. Great idea to use Fresca! YUM!

Kaitlyn August 15, 2013 at 11:16 pm

This sounds delicious! I wonder if it would be good with peaches or nectarines?

Sarah August 16, 2013 at 12:01 am

Recently found out that Barefoot Wines have MSG in them… eek! Do you know anything about this?

Tina August 16, 2013 at 5:48 am

I don’t. Sorry. I’d contact the company for more info.

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats August 16, 2013 at 10:08 am

I love sangria but more the red wine version than white wine but this still looks delicious and so summery.

jen August 16, 2013 at 10:18 am

the way I make mine is a bottle of red wine, I just ask the person at the liquor store for one used for sangria. 3 each lemon, limes and oranges, I juice half and slice the rest. a few shots of brandy about a cup of ginger ale, club soda, or lemon-lime soda, if you make it the night before the flavors mend and it taste like fruit punch I love it.

Loretta August 16, 2013 at 10:35 am

Where did you get that cute sangria bowl from?

Tina August 16, 2013 at 10:45 am

It’s my in-laws’ bowl, and I think it’s pretty old!

Kristin August 16, 2013 at 12:04 pm

This looks amazing! Can’t wait to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing!

Maryz August 16, 2013 at 12:40 pm

I love Barefoot Wine! I’m excited to try this out!

Lind August 16, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Barefoot Pinot Grigio is my favorite! Definitely going to have to give your Sangria a try!

Kim August 16, 2013 at 2:28 pm

I love sangria and this recipe is so much easier than what I’ve been doing! And I love that you used the word “pervade”!

meghan @ struggle muffins August 17, 2013 at 10:22 am

I love fresca sangria! I’ve only had it with red wine, will definitely be taking this white wine recipe for a spin :)

Hannah August 17, 2013 at 5:06 pm

We use grapefruit Izze’s and they taste awesome in sangria!

Christi in MA August 18, 2013 at 9:26 am

I bet you could use Polar pink grapefruit seltzer and save the calories and the sugar. It’s my favorite summer drink this year.

Natalie August 18, 2013 at 4:41 pm

This is almost exactly the sangria I have been making myself all summer except I don’t use the soda. I use a flavored seltzer water instead. Either mandarin orange or raspberry lime. Giant has a ton of flavored seltzer waters. I use barefoot or naked grape for wine. Both have good taste I think and very budget friendly. :-)

Rebecca August 19, 2013 at 8:45 am

I made this recipe for a get together I had Saturday night, everyone loved it! Even my husband who usually only drinks beer gave it the thumbs up, thanks for the recipe :)

Tina August 19, 2013 at 8:54 am

That’s awesome! So glad everyone liked it! :)

Andrea August 22, 2013 at 11:46 am

Looks delicious! I need to make Sangria a few more times before the summer is over.