• Right Before the Race

August 11, 2013

Good morning! Happy Sunday!

Right now, I’m on my way to Cape Cod for the Falmouth Road Race. Boy, do I hope I’m ready!

I’ve been running pretty consistently since my not-so-great performance at the ZOOMA 10K, but I haven’t run more than 6 miles at once and, well, Falmouth is 7 miles. However, I remember at the beginning of June, I was struggling with running 3 or 4 miles without dying and stopping a million times to walk, and I know I’ve come a long way since then. I’m actually feeling pretty confident about tackling 7 miles today. I don’t think I will break my previous PR at this race, but I know I’ll finish. And I’d be pretty pumped if I run the whole thing without dying/stopping. I just need to stay consistent and not freak out/get discouraged when I hit all the hills in the beginning (and, of course, at the very end).

photo

Yesterday afternoon, I laid out all of my gear in preparation for race day. In case you’re interested, here’s the rundown:

When I was laying out all of my running gear yesterday, I started thinking about what else I could do to ensure that I had a good race. Obviously, it was too late to squeeze in anymore training, so I started thinking about the mental aspect of training, which is something I admittedly know nothing about. Before a race, I’m typically chatting with friends, waiting in long porta-potty lines, and making jokes to Theodora about how she needs to tell me stories during the race because I didn’t train well and will probably die on the course. Basically, my head is never in the right place, so I started to think about what I could do right before the race to mentally prepare myself. Here’s what I came up with:

Focus on myself. I’ve blogged about this before, but, in the past, I’ve allowed myself to get too caught up in what other people are doing when it comes to running and racing. Instead of worrying about everyone else, I’m going to take a few minutes to focus on how I feel and my goals for the race.

don't let comparion steal your joy
    [image source]

Don’t allow myself to give into self-doubt. I always seem to go into panic mode at the start of a race, usually in the first mile or so. I see other runners cruising by me, so I start to doubt myself and my abilities. Instead of letting this happen and psyching myself out, I’m going to remind myself of how hard I’ve worked in recent weeks and that I will finish the race.

stronger than you think you are
    [image source]

Remember my pacing strategy. My pacing strategy is simple for this race: start out slow, stay consistent, and try for negative splits toward the end. I don’t have any specific times in mind. I just want to run a good race and have fun. The Falmouth Road Race is a party, and I want to enjoy every second of it.

negative splits ryan gosling
    [image source]

Soak it all in. Ok, this will probably come off as cheesy, so let me explain myself first. As you probably know, I’ve been flaring for a year now. There have been times when I’ve been “healthy” (thanks to Prednisone) and times when I haven’t been so well—like right now. I’ve been in a really bad flare (for me) since before I left for California for the CrossFit Games, which obviously sucks, but I know I’m not as sick as some people with IBD. I fully understand this and realize how lucky I am, and it truly breaks my heart to hear stories about people who suffer so much. I hate this disease and wish no one had it. I’m rambling, but what I’m trying to say is I will definitely take some time before (and during) the race today to soak it all in and appreciate the fact that I am healthy enough to run 7 miles. (Of course, I’ll be praying for no emergency bathroom stops on the race course!)

i_run_because_i_can_

Load my Timex GPS Watch. Seriously. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve forgotten to load my watch and then struggle to get it going for the first 1/2 mile of a race. It’s happened way too many times!

timex gps watch

So, those are the things I’m going to do right before the race today. I hope they help me run the best race that I can. I’ll be sure to tell you guys all about it tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Questions of the Day

What do you do right before a race?

What’s your best piece of advice for race day?

Monica August 11, 2013 at 8:12 am

Good luck!

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat August 11, 2013 at 8:20 am

Sending good vibes your way!!! Have an awesome race today and good luck!!!

Jamie @ fitfortherun August 11, 2013 at 8:38 am

Right before a race I make sure to use the bathroom, and then I usually just walk around to get my legs loose and listen to music. I usually give myself pep talks too (this usually happens during the entire race). My best piece of advice is to just enjoy it & don’t get down on yourself if you don’t do as well as you’d hoped. My last half marathon in May was a disaster and I was upset with myself, but after a while it made me want to train even harder for my next run. GOOD LUCK!

Livi August 11, 2013 at 8:40 am

right before a race I always find myself waiting in the port a potty line ha! good luck today!

Danica August 11, 2013 at 8:44 am

Good luck today!!
    I always remind myself that it’s an awesome gift to be able to run, which makes me thankful rather than dread the run….And I also always remind myself that I CAN do it – I worked so hard to train that I am ready!
    I’m sure you’ll do great!

Brittany August 11, 2013 at 8:52 am

I love your positive attitude about the race Tina! You’re going to rock it.

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More August 11, 2013 at 8:56 am

Good luck! And most importantly, HAVE FUN!

Alissa August 11, 2013 at 9:02 am

I love all your tips! I am in training for the Disney Tinkerbell Half Marathon and I am booking marking this page so I can look back for when it’s my time to pack! Good Luck and enjoy your race! I can’t wait for the recap!

Melissa @ My Peach Life August 11, 2013 at 9:22 am

Ah I do the same thing with my garmin. I always forget to load it then it takes the first half mile for me to locate a satellite, so annoying. Good luck today and HAVE FUN!

Lauren August 11, 2013 at 9:28 am

Thank you for this post! It’s so easy to compare. The “I run because I can” quote is a favorite of mine. When I think about it mid run, I always push myself harder knowing there are people in my life who would love to be able to run if they could. :)

-Lauren

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete August 11, 2013 at 9:46 am

I used to get so nervous before my races. I remember shaking in my wetsuit and feeling nauseous on this beautiful beach right before one of my races. CRAZY! Over the years, I’ve come to the conclusion that I do these races for fun, I can’t go back in time and train more right before the race, and that I need to be thankful that I’m even there. Also, all I can do is my best during a race. My “best” fluctuates depending on my training, stress levels, sleep, etc. Also, I realized that I was wasting so much energy thinking all those negative thoughts about myself. It is extra stress that no one needs!!!! Of course, it took a couple of years of constantly reminding myself of all these things before I began to really believe them! I think laughing is the best thing to do before a race because it tends to calm the nerves. ;)

Linda @running4two August 11, 2013 at 10:03 am

Good luck today! Just try to have fun with it and don’t be too hard on yourself! I have a hard time with this myself and it really makes for an unpleasant race experience if this don’t go exactly as planned. I look forward to reading the recap!

Nicole August 11, 2013 at 10:16 am

Have fun!

Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food August 11, 2013 at 10:42 am

Good luck! I definitely get too caught up in what other runners are doing, especially if I run with a friend who’s faster than me. Those tips are all awesome!

Heidi August 11, 2013 at 10:47 am

Oh, good luck! Falmouth has such a great running community :) you’ll do great!

Aurora@Fitness is Sweet August 11, 2013 at 10:52 am

Good luck! I totally understand what you mean by soaking it all up. Right before my first half I injured my calf. 6 days before the race I couldn’t run at all, yet somehow I miraculously recovered in time for the race. Come race day, I felt so blessed to be able to run (I couldn’t really run the whole 2 weeks before the race.) I had tears streaming down my face the first few miles.

Jackie August 11, 2013 at 10:52 am

Run for me Tina! I wish I could! You’ll be great feel better

Mitch Parker August 11, 2013 at 10:54 am

That’s a nice list for a running gear. I just bought my Timex GPS watch a year ago. I love that watch! Anyway, I will wait for the recap. Thanks for sharing! :-)

Tina August 11, 2013 at 12:32 pm

It’s the best watch, right?!?

Annette August 13, 2013 at 9:51 am

@Tina: Do you know of a good one that also has a heart rate monitor?

Liza August 11, 2013 at 11:15 am

I love love all of these images! Good luck today, I’m sure you will do great!!!

Megan (The Lyons' Share) August 11, 2013 at 11:20 am

I love the quotes you found – especially the “I run because I can” one. SUCH a great reminder! One more tip is get there early enough to not feel rushed – I need time to park without feeling frazzled, hit the port-o-potty, get in my starting corral, stretch or warm up, etc., and starting the race ALREADY stressed out is never a good thing! Can’t wait to hear about the race!

April August 11, 2013 at 11:27 am

You’ll kill it! How could you not with an outfit like that laid out? Whenever i’m having a lack of self esteem, I list off all of the cheesy, cliche mantras in my head. Sometimes they’re so ridiculous that they work.

Mary August 11, 2013 at 11:42 am

I remind myself that comparing myself to anyone else wastes the time, energy & focus I have trained with.

Brooke August 11, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Good Luck! You will do great :)

Anne @ CandyCrazedrun.wordpress.com August 11, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Good luck Tina I’m sure it will be wonderful!

And I so, so, agree about running for those who can’t. There will be a time in all of our running lives where we can’t run and it’s during those times that, that saying really hits home!

Ashley @ BrocBlog August 11, 2013 at 1:14 pm

I know I’m not very fast and even though a lot of people pass me I love the first two or three miles of a race because I don’t feel very tired yet so that’s the part that I can really soak in.

Shel@PeachyPalate August 11, 2013 at 2:39 pm

Good luck tomo! I totally psych myself out the vast majority of the time but I think the best thing is just to remember to enjoy it! I’m usually ok on race day, it’s the days coming up to it I start panicking! Just think of all the crossfit challenges you’ve made it through…if you can do them you can do anything!

Tara | Treble in the Kitchen August 11, 2013 at 2:50 pm

My routine is very similar to yours…I have to make sure that I lay everything out in advance, have my snacks/meals planned, iPod and Garmin charged…so that I can sleep peacefully. My best piece of race day advice is just to relax and have fun! I do races because I enjoy them, but when I try to get too competitive or fall into the comparison trap…the joy is sucked out!! I absolutely love the inspirational graphic you found!! :) I added it to my pinterest inspiration board!

Miranda @ Miranda Runs August 11, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Right before a race, I’m usually chatting with Christian. He keeps me sane in a situation that I most likely would normally freak out in!

Amy @ crazysweatymommy August 11, 2013 at 4:30 pm

I’m no help…right before a race, I usually think, “Crap, why did I sign up for this???”

Tina August 11, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Haha!

candice@hungrymotherrunner August 11, 2013 at 6:00 pm

good pointers!
    I also HATE that I forget to “locate satellites” on my garmin!
    good luck!

Tina August 11, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Even after I wrote this post, I forgot to load my watch today!

Julie @ RDelicious Kitchen August 11, 2013 at 6:19 pm

good luck! can’t wait to hear the recap!

Jeanie August 11, 2013 at 6:33 pm

I ran too.. Great day. Hope it went well for you:)

Nikki @ Grab Your Kicks August 11, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Run what feels good that day. I usually run a 9:30 min/mile in training, but ran an 8:30 min/mile on race day. It felt good physically and mentally knowing that I had trained and prepared! If you can find someone running your race pace, try to stick with them. I love finding random running “buddies” for part of a race. Keeps me going!

Annie @ herightfit.com August 11, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Good luck! I’ve totally been there with the emergency bathroom breaks. Sending calming stomach vibes your way.

kris August 11, 2013 at 10:18 pm

I’m glad you are healthy enough to run-walk-laugh-play.. I’m sad that you are flaring :(
    I am glad you acknowledge your blessings. I feel so lost. Can’t run, muscles so tired and weak that I have to stop after walking up only one step at a time. Don’t know what to eat anymore and end up forcing in mini-meals all day and then eating a LOT of food at 11 pm every night out of depression (?), easier at night because can then go to bed despite discomfort (?). I miss my old identity. Used to run miles and miles. Felt so — alive.
    I know diet does not determine these flares, but I’m still struggling in that department – a lot, a lot. Really lost to be honest and just . tired of it.

Samantha @ 10000 Squats August 11, 2013 at 10:40 pm

Right before I race my tradition is to yell at my bf for convincing me to do this thing. haha. Good luck I hope you have fun!

Autumn August 12, 2013 at 1:24 am

Good luck with your race! You’ll do great! :)

Like the others, I use the restroom…multiple times! I think it just comes with the nerves! I like your comment about ignoring what others are doing and focusing on yourself. I too find myself glancing at the other runners to see what they’re doing before and during the race.

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats August 12, 2013 at 6:41 am

Good luck for the race I hope all goes well!!

I try and drink enough water but not too much pre race so I don’t need the bathroom which I always do!

Candice August 12, 2013 at 7:54 am

I’m sure you did great! Can’t wait to hear how it went

Theodora August 12, 2013 at 7:57 am

Aw, I would have come up to distract you :)

Tom T. August 12, 2013 at 8:33 am

Sounds like you have got everything ready including your attitude (most importantly).

meghan @ struggle muffins August 12, 2013 at 9:40 am

I do some deep breathing before any kind of stress-inducing event like a race. Nadi Shadhana is both calming and relaxing, one of my fave go-to breathing exercises: http://www.chopra.com/community/online-library/tips/nadi-shodhana-channel-clearing-breath. Hope the race went well!

Lauren @ Peaks and Passports August 12, 2013 at 10:40 am

I can’t wait to read your recap of the race – I’m sure you killed it! I’m heading to the Cape over Labor Day and am so excited. I’d love any tips on what to do/where to eat there!

Caitlin August 13, 2013 at 11:21 am

On thinking about you and only you- I ran a race recently and within the first 1/2 mile I wanted to turn around and go home and stop for pancakes on the way. I repeated to myself to not worry or think about what anyone else is doing but to run my own race and focus on each and every mile as it comes- don’t think about upcoming miles. And it worked and by mile 2 I felt great and began passing people left and right and just repeated over and over to run my own race.