• Quotes That Get Me Through a Bad Day

August 28, 2013

Blah. We all have bad days, right? Even the most positive people experience them from time-to-time, but how they deal with them is key to turning it around. Mal, for example, is one of the most optimistic and upbeat people I have ever met, which balances my naturally pessimistic outlook. When something goes wrong in my life, I automatically think everything will go wrong and what happened is all my fault. Rationally, I know this is ridiculous, but my mind always gravitates toward this half-empty way of thinking.

As I’ve grown older, my thinking has started to change, and I really take the time to focus on the positive when I’m having a bad day or when things don’t turn out how I expect them to. Quotes—motivational quotes, quote booksPinterest boards—in particular, have been essential to changing my perspective. As cheesy as it may sound, they speak to me and they make sense to me. And, when times are tough, quotes always seem to get me through a bad day. With that said, here are some of my recent favorites:

49d91b5d2cd1783d48583398f8691846

[source]

51b8f888a695c09f23e7f87342060284

12497f90630f378ff96869e726f697ea
    [source]

b05555b1ab8dc07f6d705f1639b92c45

Questions of the Day

Are you naturally an optimist or pessimist?

What helps get you through a bad day?

sarah @makingitmyhome.blogspot.com August 28, 2013 at 5:23 pm

bad day remedies: bubble baths and a book to get lost in. Or when all else fails, a long nap. My mother refers to these naps that I take as “denial naps”. If I don’t want to deal with something, I force myself to fall asleep.

Mary August 28, 2013 at 6:12 pm

One of my favorite quotes, as it turns “why me,” into why not!
    “Freedom is what you do with what’s been done to you.” Sartre

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves August 28, 2013 at 7:35 pm

I love these! I can definitely let myself get really down in the dumps on bad days and that can snowball into me being a big mess for the next few days or even the next week. It’s usually just a psychological thing–I often just need to look at things from a different, more optimistic perspective!

Annie @ herightfit.com August 28, 2013 at 7:36 pm

It’s great to remember that we make our own happiness!

Courtney @ Don't Blink. Just Run. August 28, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Those are some great quotes.

I’m definitely a pessimist at heart. I try to be better about it as I get older, but I’m just a naturally cynical person.

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food August 28, 2013 at 8:55 pm

I’m on both ends of the spectrum with optimism vs. pessimism. If I am with others, like at work, for example, I always try to have a positive attitude and try to keep the spirits up of my coworkers so we can try to have a good day…however, in my own life, I am a total pessimist. As soon as something goes wrong, I think that it’s never going to get better and everything is going to continue to go wrong. I need to find a happy medium!

Tricia August 29, 2013 at 6:24 am

I can totally relate to this. I always jump to the worst case scenario because I like to be prepared (in my mind for the inevitable). On the other hand my husband is a total “let’s just wait and see.” I don’t think I’ve ever seen him worry about anything lol

Cheryl @ Happy is the new healthy August 29, 2013 at 6:44 am

Quotes are huge for me! I keep a page on my blog of inspirational images and have a folder on my iphone. When I’m having one of those days (I am like you and can sometimes get sucked into thinking pessimistically instead of keeping on the sunny side), journalling’s my biggest help. Sometimes I end up with a blog post out of it, sometimes I end up crying my way through whatever’s going on, sometimes I don’t write much at all, but I usually get through whatever’s bugging me or at least accept it. I love the quotes you shared! Thank you!

Ava August 29, 2013 at 8:02 am

I love reading through quotes to lift me up when I am feeling down too!! One of my recent favorites: “Strength: A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence.”

Also “Everyday may not be good, but there is some good in everyday”.

Sometimes I like to print out little copies of these quotes and hang them around. It helps to keep me on the optimistic path!

Emily August 29, 2013 at 9:27 am

I totally needed these reminders this morning! Sometimes you really do just need to remember it’s not a bad life, just a bad day.

Sarah G. August 29, 2013 at 9:28 am

I love that quote, “Some days you just have to make your own sunshine.” I have posted that on my IG and FB before, too, because I totally feel that way some days and need remind myself that it’s up to me to turn a bad day around!

I am natually an optimist (most of the time ;))

Alex @ Kenzie Life August 30, 2013 at 6:19 pm

I love quotes, and the first one you posted was my favorite!