• Multiple Shopping Trips

August 19, 2013

Happy_Monday,_friends!

I hope your week is off to a wonderful start! I splurged and bought fresh flowers for the house yesterday with the hope of them kicking off a fabulous week—so far, so good!

This week’s grocery shopping was all over the place: Stop & Shop, Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, and Walmart. Of course, I love to find good deals on groceries, but I’m not someone who will drive all over creation to get them. Usually, I hit up one or two different stores each week—even if I don’t get the best deals. I’d rather save time than money. Anyway, there were specific food items I needed for meals and various recipe development projects I’m working on, so I found myself driving all over the South Shore this week. It definitely took more time, money, and energy to shop at multiple stores, so I made sure to stock up on some of my favorite items while there.

Without further ado, here are this week’s meal plan and shopping lists:

Stop & Shop

• Lemon juice
    • Vanilla Chex
    • Silk Pure Almond Original
    • Silk Pure Almond Vanilla
    • Almond butter

Walmart

• Trail mix <— it’s the same stuff they sell at Stop & Shop, Target, etc., but it’s so much cheaper. These huge bags were just $5!

great value trail mix (600x450)

Whole Foods

• Almond meal
    • Almond butter <— half the price compared to Whole Foods or Stop & Shop
    • Applesauce
    • Honey
    • Dill

005 (600x450)

I know I’ve mentioned this at least a half dozen times on CNC already, but, hey, it’s important: Trader Joe’s sells almond meal at a really affordable price. It’s literally three times the price at other grocery stores!

FYI: Almond flour and almond meal are pretty much the same thing. Almond meal is a little courser, so it works well for things like breading chicken or veggies. Almond flour is ground more finely, so I know a lot of bakers love using it. Personally, I love almond meal for baking. I actually really like it’s texture (thick and hearty) in cookies, muffins, and pizza dough.

trader joe's almond meal

TCBY & Silk Giveaway Winners

Thanks to everyone who entered to win a coupon to TCBY to try the new almond milk-based frozen yogurt from Silk! Here are your winners:

Emily Z

Unsweetened Vanilla is my go-to for cereal, baking, or just drinking a glass with a meal but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE having some Dark Chocolate almondmilk as a treat!

Kayla

I think my favorite will always be a tie between vanilla almond milk and unsweetened vanilla almond milk!

Linda Kish

I like the light vanilla

MichelleG

Unsweetened Vanilla!!

Anjali

I adore the unsweetened vanilla milks! So dreamy and amazing!

Congrats! Please email me at tina@carrotsncake.com with your full name and mailing address.

Questions of the Day

How many different grocery stores do you shop at each week?

How often do you buy fresh flowers for yourself?

P.S. Nikki’s Coconut Butter is celebrating their one-year anniversary with a special sale. Get 10% off all orders of two jars or more with code ‘oneyear.’

meghan August 19, 2013 at 9:50 pm

I have to tell you, you can get almond butter even cheaper! Throw that almond meal into your food processor (for what seems like forever) and you can get your 1 pound of almond butter down to $3.99 a “jar”! My TJs hasn’t been carrying almond meal the last TWO times I’ve been in. so sad because I am almost out…

Caroline @ Broccoli Hut August 19, 2013 at 9:51 pm

I typically shop at two stores each week: Wal-Mart or Target for packaged goods, then I head to Publix for the rest!

Jessica @ FromtheKitchentotheRoad August 19, 2013 at 10:10 pm

I shop at a zillion stores. It is getting a little out of hand. I want to say I can cut it down to 2 but in reality 3 is as low as its going to get right now. This weekend I went to 4 grocery stores plus target. That is ridiculous.

Robyn August 19, 2013 at 11:25 pm

Sprouts and Whole Foods for me. Sprouts is a farmers market out here in AZ and they always have the best deals on produce. Since I eat paleo, produce is the majority of my groceries besides the meat.

Alicia August 19, 2013 at 11:30 pm

I finally made my first Nikkis purchase… could you please tell me if I’m supposed to keep them in the fridge after I open them? Thanks!

Tina August 20, 2013 at 7:27 am

Yay! I hope you love it! You can keep it in your fridge or at room temperature.

Ksenija @ Health Ninja August 20, 2013 at 1:33 am

I try to limit the number of grocery stores to 2-3, just to avoid spending too much money on all the stuff I don’t need ;) but if you’d let me it would probably be 5 or 6 plus the farmers market. Haha, guess every normal person would think that is an unnecessary hassle, but hey that’s what we foodies love ;)

Jodea @ chillichocolatelove.com August 20, 2013 at 1:51 am

Fresh flowers always make me so happy. I definitely don’t buy them often enough, less than once a month. We usually get our groceries delivered from one supermarket and go to the local butcher but we may change it up and try shopping at a different store which is cheaper.

STUFT Mama August 20, 2013 at 2:13 am

I swear I have to go a different store like every day. LOL. Trader Joe’s is not fun with toddler twins by the way. :) Can you please come do my meal planning for the week? Thanks!

Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner August 20, 2013 at 5:22 am

There are only three grocery stores that I regularly shop at, plus Target. But there is pretty much nothing on earth that could convince me to go into a Wal-Mart. Even the thought makes me shudder.

Tara | Treble in the Kitchen August 20, 2013 at 5:27 am

I LOVE buying fresh flowers…especially sunflowers while grocery shopping :) It just makes the whole house feel happy!! I am usually a multiple grocery store type of girl, it just depends on how much time I have to shop. Gotta get the best deal!

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats August 20, 2013 at 5:54 am

I wanted to buy myself fresh flowers on the weekend but knew I was away for work this week and my boyfriend wouldn’t appreciate them like I do! :)

I usually do a fresh market shop and then go to the grocery store too every week. It can be annoying but works out cheaper and with much better produce.

Jill August 20, 2013 at 8:06 am
    Jill August 20, 2013 at 8:37 am

@Jill:

Also this one is interesting: http://www.olivesnwine.com/2013/06/28/easy-breakfast-cookie-in-a-mug/

It’s single serving and egg free and uses coconut flour (which I have no idea what to do with…and am wary to use because it is ridiculously high in fiber or recipes usually require eggs with it….but that recipe above is no eggs…still a lot of fiber though which kinda scares me :)

Tina August 20, 2013 at 9:01 am

Thanks!!

Nicole August 20, 2013 at 8:55 am

I end up at the farmer’s market plus 2-3 stores on any weekend. I’m trying to limit the # of stores and focus on using what I have on-hand and loading up on veggies at the market.

Angela August 20, 2013 at 9:32 am

I got to two grocery stores a week. If we had a whole foods I would go to three. I make a trip there once a month to load up.

Fresh flowers don’t make it in my house as often as they should. Probably once a year unless someone buys them for me.

Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona August 20, 2013 at 9:38 am

Every once in awhile I get a craving for trail mix. I think my favorites are the ones I end up making myself cause then I can put in all the things I like.

Jolynn @ Lift Pray Love August 20, 2013 at 9:58 am

I’m a horrible customer. I usually shop at one grocery store only, and I buy what I want instead of looking to see what’s on sale. They definitely make their money off me.

Tara August 20, 2013 at 2:38 pm

@Jolynn @ Lift Pray Love: that makes you a good customer, bad shopper, haa!

christi in ma August 20, 2013 at 12:12 pm

I usually buy almond meal, corn meal, oats etc. at Ocean State Job Lot. They have the best prices on Bob’s Red Mill. I’ll have to compare the prices to Trader Joe’s. I’m starting to shop at TJ more.

Tara August 20, 2013 at 2:39 pm

@christi in ma: I agree! I also got a huge bag of Flax seed there too for a great price…I just dont know what I am going to do with all that flax! I have to get through my huge Bag of Chia seeds from Costco as well!

Anne Marie August 20, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Almond meal/flour is awesome! you can use it when attempting to make French macarons! it gives it that light fluffy shell :)

Ali @ WHOLEistically Fit August 20, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Ugh! I hate having to run around to a zillion different stores either in order to get the best deal or because one store doesn’t carry everything I need. My husband and I have worked around this issue by making a monthly shopping list where we go and stock up on the things we need from places like Target and TJ’s and then do our weekly shopping at a place with great produce (in our case Sprouts).

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance August 20, 2013 at 7:14 pm

I go to two different stores during the week. Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods are my go-to-places.

Catherine August 21, 2013 at 11:45 pm

I’m a big fan of Costco. They carry a huge tub of organic coconut oil (64oz) for $16.59, Maranatha Almond butter (26oz jar) for $7.59, Pre-formed turkey patties, 3lbs plain almonds for just over $10, grass-fed beef for about the same price as their other beef.

Walmart – One of the Walmarts in my area carries Maranatha (but not as cheap as Costco), Justin’s PB, the protein bars I like for .99 and they price match without having to have a store circular with you.

I shop at Trader Joe’s for their jumbo eggs and their brand of Almond Milk, which is only $2.99 a carton and I find it to be much creamier than others.