• I Ran 10 Miles {Last Week’s Workouts}

August 18, 2013

Hi, guys! Happy Sunday! I hope you’ve enjoyed a wonderful weekend so far!

Fitness-wise, last week wasn’t a great one for me. I was struggling with a flare, so, obviously, I didn’t feel 100% or super psyched about doing any sort of physical activity. However, I managed to fit in a few workouts, including a 10-mile run (which was awesome), so I actually feel pretty good about last week’s workouts. And, hey, I’m starting to feel better now, so I’m planning a glorious return to my usual fitness routine next week!

Sunday: Falmouth Road Race (7 miles)

2013-falmouth-road-roace

Monday: CrossFit

I didn’t go to a class, but instead did a 13-minute partner WOD with Mal. Our box hosted an internal throwdown this weekend, so the owners asked us if we wanted to test out one of the workouts for it—mostly just to give them an idea how long it would take. It was a fun workout, but after running 7 miles the day before, my legs did not appreciate the 400m kettlebell carries. Thank goodness for my partner!

photo (5)

Tuesday: Interval workout

photo (4)

Wednesday: Off

Thursday: 10 miles

The last time I ran 10 miles was October, so I was kind of nervous about tackling this distance again, especially when my insides were not cooperating. I woke up super early, did all the fun UC stuff, and then got myself ready to run 10 miles. Most of the time, my digestive system shuts itself off when I exercise, so I hoped it would behave itself and not give me any issues. I also told myself if I felt like crap (literally), I would cut the run short. No big deal.

photo (7) (368x533)

I grabbed my summer running gear, Lemon Sublime GU (I can’t remember the last time I used one of these), and headed out to tackle 10 miles.

photo (6)

Let me start off by saying that 10 miles is FAR! Ten miles. Running. That is nuts to think about.

I remember back in my marathoning days, I considered 10 miles a “short” run. But being out of the long distance running game for awhile now, anything over 5 or 6 miles is long for me, so 10 miles seemed especially overwhelming.

photo (9)

I did the old “break up the long run into shorter runs” and mentally split the distance into two 4-mile runs and one 2-mile run to make it seem more manageable.

photo (8)

I ran four miles out, away from my house, and then ran four miles back home. At mile 8, I stopped by my house to re-hydrate. (I probably should have taken water with me or planned a water stop earlier in my run because I was SO THIRSTY!) I only stopped for a few minutes, but getting going again for those final two miles was not fun. My lower back and legs instantly tightened up, so I felt stiff and robotic when I started to run again.

photo (10)

I definitely struggled through the final two miles (I also think part of it was mental since the longest I’ve run in awhile was 7 miles last weekend, and I was all in my head with doubting myself), but I finished 10 miles. Woohoo! I was so proud of myself—still am!

photo (11)

Friday: Off

Saturday: Off

What workout last week are you most proud of? Feel free to brag! I love hearing about your successes!

P.S. You still have time to enter my giveaway to win a coupon for free dairy-free (almond milk-based) froyo from TCBY and Silk!

Title Boxing Club Downers Grove August 18, 2013 at 9:53 pm

Glad to hear you are feeling better! Nothing makes a workout less fun than feeling bad. Keep up the great work!

Sharon August 18, 2013 at 11:17 pm

Random question: why is there a pic of an ambulance in this post?! Am I missing something?! Great job on the 10 miler & glad to hear you are feeling better :)

Tina August 19, 2013 at 6:48 am

Because it’s how far I ran. The Abington fire department is far from my house!

Christine Derrel August 19, 2013 at 2:20 am

Wow, 10 miles, pretty impressive!!!! I wish I run at least 5 miles every week. But I am not as strong!!!

Kerry August 19, 2013 at 3:25 am

Well done! I couldn’t imagine running 10 miles! I can’t even do 10k! haha x

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance August 19, 2013 at 3:50 am

Wow, looks like such an active week! It amazes me with how active you are :)

Laura @ Mommy Run Fast August 19, 2013 at 8:01 am

You had an awesome week of workouts- nice work! Isn’t it funny how ten miles goes from being so far to no big deal in marathon training? Either way, it is a LONG way.

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats August 19, 2013 at 8:02 am

Well done on the 10 mile workout! I did a 15km run on Saturday and was proud to get it done :)

Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats August 19, 2013 at 9:20 am

Great job, Tina!! It’s awesome to watch your progress :)

Robyn August 19, 2013 at 9:39 am

I was so proud of myself for finally getting my handstands without needing a wall and able to hold for 10 seconds!! Such a huge accomplish. Now everywhere I go with my crossfit girls we take pics of our handstands. Saturday we had so many people cheering us on at the bar when doing handstands on the dance floor!!

Tina August 19, 2013 at 9:41 am

Yay!!

Melisa August 19, 2013 at 11:57 am

Congrats on the 10 miles. Surprised you can run 8miles without water or fuel. If I’m doing a long run, I wear the dorky fuel belt. A bit cumbersome, but it helps mentally get through a long run. If I know I’ll be taking a swig of water every mile or so it helps me get to the next mile.

Sarah G. August 19, 2013 at 1:10 pm

10 miles is no joke – congrats!

My proudest workout was my 15-miler on Saturday morning. It’s a new personal distance record for me so I felt super accomplished and proud afterward – especially because I did the final 5 miles solo.

Emily K @ Leaf Parade August 19, 2013 at 1:20 pm

I’m so happy to see that you’re starting to feel better! Hurray for great workouts!

This week, I was especially proud of my 15 mile run on Saturday. I’ve had to take just a little bit of time off due to an injury, and getting back to things has been a process. I finally feel like I’m getting close to where I was when I left off. That November marathon is looking possible again!

-Emily K.

Annette August 19, 2013 at 1:34 pm

I have trouble running outside (shin splints) so anyone who can run that far is my hero :) I do run on the treadmill, but because it’s so incredibly boring, it’s hard to run more than 2 or 3 miles, but on Sat, I must’ve been feeling extra frisky (credit my “Kaskade” Pandora station) so I ran 4 miles straight. I was pretty pumped!!

Jenny August 19, 2013 at 2:39 pm

Running 11 miles twice last week is probably what I’m most proud of at the moment. :)

Linda @ running4two August 19, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Awesome job Tina!

I did 3 runs of 6-7 miles each all under 8 minute miles! On top of everything, running this fast is getting slightly easier!

Christine August 19, 2013 at 6:31 pm

I participated in a Ragnar Relay this past weekend (The Great River in Minnesota and Wisconsin) and it was the most rewardking workout experience I’ve had! I ran more than 20 miles over the course of three legs and averaged a pace of 8:05 min/mile, which is about 20 seconds faster than normal. It was an exhausting, yet FUN event! Hope to participate in more across the country!

Tina August 19, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Fun!!!

Alex @ Kenzie Life August 19, 2013 at 7:08 pm

Last week was actually my proudest week of workouts EVER! I did 3 Pure Barre Classes, a 5 mile run, an 8 mile run, and a 2 hour hike. 8 miles is my longest run ever! I love the feeling of accomplishment I get from my workouts :)

Summer August 20, 2013 at 10:17 am

Last Week’s workout I am most proud of I Rx’d Monday’s workout!
    MEGALODON
    CFS WOD – Monday 12AUG2013

OLY WORK:
    2 Snatches (Squat) @ 75% of 1RM
    x5
    *Hold the bottom of the 1st rep for 3 seconds on each set
    **Every 2 minutes
    ***Load should increase from last Monday

METCON:
    15 Overhead Squats (M-95#/F-65#)
    20 Toes-2-Bar
    25 Box Jumps (M-24″/F-20″)
    x3

Score: 70# on the OLY work & 22:07 minutes on the METCON

That’s the first time I’ve Rx’d when there were modifications available! :-)

Tina August 20, 2013 at 10:23 am

Nice job!!

Lacey August 22, 2013 at 1:00 am

Tina,
    I just wanted to comment on your incredible attitude. In the face of UC, the fact that you are so consistently positive, and you work so damn hard to stay healthy: I just think it’s tremendous. Your incredible spirit is one of the reasons I love this blog so much. You’re amazing. :)

Tina August 22, 2013 at 6:15 am

Thanks for the sweet comment! :)

Peach August 22, 2013 at 1:20 pm

I’m proud of you too. Thanks for being one of my top running inspirations. Awesome job, Tina.

Amanda McQueen August 23, 2013 at 9:36 am

Last week I was at the beach on vacation. I’m proud that I got up each day and did my scheduled runs while on vacay. I’m training for the Chicago Marathon, so not running is really not an option. But the workout that I’m most proud of was my 20-mile run on Saturday. The weather was nice, my body felt ok … but I was mentally over it by mile 12. At mile 16 I wanted to stop so bad, but I pushed through and finished out the 20.

John Barban February 13, 2014 at 6:09 pm

David Juicer March 26, 2014 at 8:50 pm

Great with 10 miles… Amazing I just 3 – 5 miles per week.