• First {Double} Date

August 29, 2013

Good morning and happy Thursday!

Yesterday afternoon, I got my shop on. Mal and I are redoing our sun porch, so I bought a bunch of decorative accessories at HomeGoods to spice it up. I made a Sun Porch Ideas board on Pinterest, which inspired me and helped me pick out all of my purchases. Look at me being all stylish! I think our sun porch is going to turn out really well, and I can’t wait to show you guys the final product!

homegoods shopping

When I was putting away groceries yesterday afternoon, I stumbled upon the skull in the freezer. He strikes again! (I wonder how long this game is going to last? It’s been almost a year! Haha!)

the skull

I also made an awesome batch of trail mix yesterday afternoon. I wrote a post about how to make great homemade trail mix for Health next week, so I needed to test out my recipe.

trail mix ingredients

For dinner last night, Mal and I met our friends Rob and Colleen for dinner at Legal C Bar in Hingham. The restaurant opened only a couple of months ago, so I was excited to try it.

Mal and I arrived a little early and snagged some seats at the bar. I wish I snapped a photo of it because it was really nice—large, open, in the middle of the restaurant with flatscreen TVs and low lighting. It was definitely one of those bars where you could sit for hours and just hang out.

The bar was offering a special on French wines and a “mineral-accented” flight caught my attention. You know how I love mineral-y white wines!

Well, hello, lovelies! The Pinot Blanc was just okay, but the Chablis and Sancerre were excellent!

When Rob and Colleen arrived, we ordered a bunch of appetizers to share among the four of us: steamed mussels, buffalo shrimp <—- DELICIOUS!

And two orders of fried pickles because they were so good. I ordered the Blackened Tuna Sashimi for my entrée, but the photo turned out really dark and unappetizing, so I didn’t include it. It was really tasty though!

Good times with good friends! It was so nice to catch up with these two!

Health News & Views

Are you going to a barbecue this Labor Day weekend? We all know these kinds of get-togethers sometimes make it difficult to eat healthy, especially when it comes to what’s cooking on the grill.

Of course, chicken breasts, turkey burgers, and veggie patties are healthier options compared to a traditional cheeseburger because they’re lower in calories and fat, but what if you’re in the mood to splurge and have a major craving? (Hey, it’s the end of summer after all!) You can still enjoy the real deal without blowing your diet by keeping these tips in mind

5 Tips to Slim Down Your Labor Day Burger

Do you remember your first date? How was it?

I actually don’t remember my first date, but I remember my first double date because it was with Mal and we occasionally reminisce (and laugh) about it.

Back in high school before Mal and I started dating, two of my friends, who were a couple, invited us to dinner with them at Bertucci’s. Mal and I were friendly with each other, but we definitely weren’t an item or even dating at this point. Of course, I was nervous to go out to dinner with him, but, with friends, I didn’t think it would be so bad. Well, apparently, Mal was even more nervous for our double date than me!

When our pizza was served to the table, it was placed on a tray right next to Mal, so it was assumed he would serve each of us a piece of it. Mal was so nervous, he had all sorts of trouble serving the pizza. He didn’t make a mess or drop a slice of pizza on anyone, but I remember him being so awkward and seriously struggling to serve the pizza. I think he was even sweating! Haha! Poor Mal.

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh August 29, 2013 at 7:20 am

First real date was with my Mr when I was 17 and he was 19. Dinner out, looking at Christmas lights and ended up driving around and I took him out to my old elementary school in the country. Perfect set up for a first kiss on the swing set but he chickened out. ;-)

Tina August 29, 2013 at 7:26 am

Aww, cute! :)

Heather @fitncookies August 29, 2013 at 7:39 am

I can’t wait to see the finished product! I am loving gray and yellow these days, and those pillows are awesome! I love them :) My first date with my now husband was when I was 14 and he was 15 and we went to The Incredibles movie haha Little did he know that I hated animated movies lol

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance August 29, 2013 at 7:46 am

I really love Sancerre. I can’t remember our first date but I do remember meeting my husband for the first time. He didn’t even tell me his name! Luckily I found out!

Shay @ Whine Less, Breathe More August 29, 2013 at 7:50 am

I just redecorated my bedroom in yellow and gray chevron. I love how it turned out!

Jamie @ fitfortherun August 29, 2013 at 7:55 am

I don’t remember my first date ever, but I do remember my first date with my fiance. We met online and talked for a couple weeks before I was ready to meet him in person, and I was soo soo nervous! But after the 5 minutes, all was good :)

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat August 29, 2013 at 7:59 am

Home Goods has the best stuff! That is a store I go to often!

I do remember my first day! We went on a double date with some friends of ours to this quaint little town. We walked around and had dinner. I remember being SO nervous, but I guess it was meant to be! We’ll be married for 6 years in October!

sara @ fitcupcaker August 29, 2013 at 7:59 am

cute story about the pizza :) I love redecorating, we are making our office a tv room and we just got a new king bed, so fun!

Emily August 29, 2013 at 8:08 am

I remember my first date! it was sooo awkward, I was a freshman in highschool and we went to see a movie, and my parents dropped me off! They wouldn’t let me ride in his car because he was 16! My first date with my finace was a lot nicer and during college he took me out for sushi and we went for a walk around our college town and got icecream and stayed up half the night watching stars. It was wonderful! :)

Sara @ sarasmiles August 29, 2013 at 8:17 am

I’ve had LOTS of first dates…still going on them…I will come back and share when one finally sticks :)

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl August 29, 2013 at 8:19 am

Love fried pickles!! Funny story of Mal serving pizza…I can only imagine!

Amy August 29, 2013 at 8:24 am

Sounds like you found a great restaurant! That is really cute about your husband on your first double date!

Jackie August 29, 2013 at 8:39 am

Haha aww that is a cute date story! My first date was at the movies and I was awkward because I didn’t know it was a date!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More August 29, 2013 at 8:43 am

I LOVE Pinterest and it’s ability to make me feel like I could actually decorate a room and make it look good. OR refinish a piece of furniture – which I did and it turned out! ;)

Ali @ Peaches and Football August 29, 2013 at 8:46 am

My first date with my finance was almost 4 years ago… We decided to meet up at a local Applebees for a casual dinner. We’d just done emails back and forth up to that and only had seen one picture of each other. But he worked with one of my old co-workers who vouched he was a really nice guy.

I was nervous and hated the idea of standing in the lobby waiting for someone but he got there just a minute or two before me so neither of us had to wait long. It turned out to be a lot of fun – and we joke to this day that he talked more that night than the entire 4 years I’ve known him afterwards. Ha ha :)

Corrie Anne August 29, 2013 at 8:47 am

That pizza story is hilarious & adorable!!!!! I don’t really remember a first date either. I didn’t really date till I was 17-18 and really just jumped into having a boyfriend. I remember my first date with my husband though — we met online ,and the first time we met up in real life was at Caribou Coffee!!! I was super nervous, but he was pretty calm. And brought me some amazing caramel apples!!!!

Theodora August 29, 2013 at 9:10 am

Mmmm sancerre.

Audrey @ In Shape Cupcake August 29, 2013 at 9:13 am

My first date was at a nice mexican restaurant. We barely touched our chips, nervous, obviously. He got food all over his chin and my food tasted bland.
    Then we went to Pinkberry and got froyo (awesome). He got chocolate though and it was sticking to his teeth when he smiled. I wanted to laugh…but i didn’t. I hate that nervousness of first dates though, ughhhh ew
    Can’t wait to see the sun porch!

Amy @ The Little Honey Bee August 29, 2013 at 9:28 am

Fried pickles = bomb! Have you ever had fried oreos?!

Tina August 29, 2013 at 11:17 am

No, but I WANT TO!!! :)

Anna August 29, 2013 at 11:50 am

@Tina: Ditto on this. Fried Oreos are like heaven!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats August 29, 2013 at 9:32 am

I LOVE wine flights! It’s so much fun to taste different wines and compare them. I’m not a wine aficionado but I’d love to become one (or at least know a little more…).

Katie @ running4cupcakes August 29, 2013 at 9:38 am

Can’t wait to see the porch put together- looks like you got some good things at Home Goods. Love the yellow! And trail mix is always awesome. :) I don’t know how you guys have kept the skull game going so long – that would totally freak me out. My first date with my husband was also the first time we met because we met online. We had dinner and then went to see Phone Booth in the theathers. :)

Karen R @www.fabinyour40s.com August 29, 2013 at 9:42 am

First date with my hubby I wiped out in front of him and another couple. I had flat shoes on and we were walking down a concrete ramp from the restaraunt. My feet slipped out from under me and down i went just as a couple was walking in! The man asked if I was ok and my future hubby said ” she’s just had one too many beers, she’s fine”. I had NONE! Funny memory though.

Tina August 29, 2013 at 11:15 am

Haha!

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries August 29, 2013 at 10:01 am

Those appetizers sound incredible! Fried pickles?! Yes please!

I remember my first date with my husband. We went to Chipotle for lunch, then rock climbing, then went to Marley & Me in theaters. It was more like a “date day”! Good thing I was having fun. ;)

Katie August 29, 2013 at 10:05 am

I saw Titanic on my first date at age 13. It was a group date so there were like 7 or 8 of us.

Rebecca Jo August 29, 2013 at 10:17 am

I’ve never tried friend pickles but was at women’s conference this weekend & the lady across from me ordered some… I almost begged to try one.

Ashlee@HisnHers August 29, 2013 at 10:18 am

Bahaha your husband is too funny. Does it still scare you??

Renae @ MissFit Mixed Chick August 29, 2013 at 10:24 am

I don’t remember our first “date” because he was around for a while before we even took interest in each other. I want to think the first official date was to Mt. Bonnell which is this big mountain that you have to climb in Westlake Hills and once you get to the top, you are overlooking beautiful water and the skyline of Austin, Texas.

Simple, but romantic…Man, where have those day’s gone. haha

Emily @ The Good Era August 29, 2013 at 10:34 am

hahah that’s so funny about the pizza!!

I still tease my now husband, because on our second date, he was so nervous and focusing on the conversation that he never looked at the menu. When the waiter came, he just said “I’ll have what she’s having” not realizing I had ordered pasta with peppers, which he hates.

He ate it, but I couldn’t help but notice how weird he was being, picking around his food. Months later told me he had to choke it down because he was so embarrassed! haha

Tina August 29, 2013 at 11:10 am

Aww, that’s a cute story! :)

Linda @ running4two August 29, 2013 at 10:44 am

I”m not sure I rememeber my first date…but I do remember my sophomore homecoming because I was climbing out of the back of a 2 door car with a short dress on and my date was climbing out behind me. Yup, my backside was just out in the open. LOL.

Poor Mal! Serving pizza can be quite the task if your hands are shaking. :)

Tina August 29, 2013 at 11:06 am

Haha! Mal has come a long way! :)

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl August 29, 2013 at 11:06 am

Fried pickles are the best thing EVER!!

Annette@FitnessPerks August 29, 2013 at 11:06 am

That’s funny about the double date with pizza/mal! Hah!

First date for me was awkward of course. I don’t really love thinking about it. Hah! But I loved my first date with my to-be husband! (smoothies & dancing!)

April August 29, 2013 at 11:32 am

Random, but I have that same stripped shirt, and I am wondering what you wore on the bottom. Pants, shorts? I can’t decide what to pair it with.

Thanks :)

Tina August 29, 2013 at 11:40 am

Dark skinny jeans! :)

Jenny August 29, 2013 at 11:45 am

Such a cute story!! :) My first date with my soon to be hubby we ended up stranded because his truck wouldn’t start. he tried for HOURS to get it started. We ended up waking his brother up at 11pm to drive me home. lol

Amanda August 29, 2013 at 11:49 am

Oh man, I love decorating my house! And shopping for all the decorations is the best part. I recently redid our bathroom to a beach theme, and went CRAZY in hobby lobby finding all kinds of cool things for it. Next on my list is my home office, so I’m excited to start shopping for that. :)

Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run August 29, 2013 at 11:53 am

Can’t wait to see the finished porch project :)

Amy @ crazysweatymommy August 29, 2013 at 12:08 pm

We used to go out rollerblading on bike trails—once we got nice and sweaty, we’d go drink some beers :) Nothing fancy over here!

Tawny August 29, 2013 at 12:10 pm

My first ever date was when I was 15 and we went to the movie The Amityville Horror! I have no idea why I agreed, I hate horror movies!

Sara Flynn @ Zero to Sixy August 29, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Homegoods is so much fun. and I am so jealous of you the South shore has so many many many good restaurants and marylous! I am so jealous,,,

I remember the first date and I remember he first conversation I had with my boyfriend.. he told me he was on a softball team called the “Swingers”. After the movie… thank god ha-ha. He said in order to date me we have to watch that movie, well its been 3 years and I just watched it last month!

Ashley August 29, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Haha Im sure mal will be delighted to read that last part of the post

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance August 29, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Oh my god my cousin and I play a similar game to “the skull” except it is with a crazy photo of Nicholas Cage. It’s been going on for a year and I don’t think she can top the last one I pulled where I put it in her pocket of her suit jacket for work and she happened to take it out in front of a client and had to explain the joke to her client.

Tiff @ Love Sweat & Beers August 29, 2013 at 1:18 pm

I’m loving the look of that bar. The chairs don’t look too comfy, but I think the fried pickles make up for that. ;)

joelle (on a pink typewriter) August 29, 2013 at 1:41 pm

That skull is ridiculous haha.

Andrea D August 29, 2013 at 1:45 pm

I love hearing seeing and hearing stories about awkward situations on dates or in any situation because it makes me feel normal :) what a good memory you guys have and I bet a lot more awkward ones you can laugh at every now and then! That’s the part I HATE about dating these days… that awkward gap between first meeting them and becoming comfortable around them! Too lazy for dating!

Taylor @ Single-tracked Mind August 29, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Love wine flights! First dates are such awkward, funny things. Like a job interview, or something.

Traci August 29, 2013 at 2:20 pm

My very first date was when I was 13 (or 14?) with my boyfriend of the time (first one; it seems SO young now)! We had just started ‘dating’ and we wanted to go see a movie and my mom wouldn’t let us go alone, so we ended up having to invite a bunch of friends to come with us. His parents dropped us off. Awkward! My first date with my now boyfriend was much better. We had just met through friends before Valentine’s Day while we were still in college, and he asked me to come over to hang out and get to know each other on Valentine’s Day night. He didn’t mention anything about V-Day so I wasn’t sure what to expect, but when I walked in to his room, he had a snuffed bear, rose, and reed diffuser (I had been joking about how much I love those when I first met him) spread out on the couch on which we watched Spiderman 2. :)

Ashley August 29, 2013 at 2:26 pm

I love that you and Mal have such a history! I think it’s adorable and shows how strong you two are.

I don’t remember much about my first date either…awkward high school moments I’m sure. I do know Zach’s favorite memory from his first date though — as he talks pretty openly about how slick he was holding hands with his girlfriend in the back of the car while his dad drove them to the movies. He’s so suave ladies.

Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner August 29, 2013 at 3:02 pm

First date with my first boyfriend was to a comedy club. First date with my husband was at a Denny’s (although it wasn’t a first date at the time). It wasn’t awkward at all….everything just clicked.

Kalee August 29, 2013 at 5:31 pm

awww on your first date! :) Ours was great, and we were both pretty calm. The SECOND date though, he picked me up at my house (and I lived at home with my parents). He got so nervous and started sweating really badly….bad enough we had to run by his house and let him clean up! LOL! Bless his heart; I just love him lol

Rina August 29, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Haha, I remember the first date with a guy I dated–total disaster! I had a runny nose from allergies. He had to retake his final exams, was greasy because it was a hot day, and was running late. I thought he’d stood me up and left him an angry voicemail! A minute later, he called, apologized profusely, and asked if I still wanted to date him.

Which I did. We hit it off from then on. :)

Kristi August 29, 2013 at 8:09 pm

I love that you and Mal have known each other for so long.

Alex @ Kenzie Life August 29, 2013 at 9:35 pm

I don’t remember what my first real date was, but I do remember my first college date and it was ridiculous. I went out with a guy from my philosophy class (I went to an all women’s college but guys from a nearby college could take our classes and vice versa) who was also a surfer dude. He took me to sushi, then to some parties, none of which we stayed at but he knew *everyone* on campus. Then he took me to his apartment to “meet his roommate” and we watched videos on youtube until 3 am and then he walked me to the bus stop. We didn’t touch at all, not even an end of the night hug or high five. He came back to one class the next week and then skipped the last month and a half of class. When the professor asked if anyone knew what happened, I just shook my head and said no :) It was pretty funny.