• End of Summer Classic 5-Miler Recap

August 25, 2013

On Friday evening, I ran the End of Summer Classic hosted by Marathon Sports. The race was held at Bare Cove Park in Hingham (aka the “dog park” where we take Murphy all the time), and the event offered both a 3-mile and 5-mile option.

photo (15) (600x450)

I ran the 5-miler and picked up my bib right before the race. I waited in line maybe 30 seconds and everything went really smoothly: I got my bib, safety pins, race tech t-shirt, and I was ready to go!

photo (20) (450x600)

Even number. Meh.

photo (2) (450x600)

Both races had about 300 runners total, so it was definitely a smaller sized event, but I was surprised by how many sponsors were involved. There were all sorts of food samples and products to try before and after the race.

photo (19) (600x450)

Kerrie and a bunch of ladies from KFIT ran the race too, so I tagged along and hung out with them before the race. SUCK IT UP!

photo (16) (600x450)

The race kicked off at 6:30 PM and both groups of runners (3-miler and 5-miler) started out along the paths of Bare Cove Park. The course was entirely inside the park, so we ran along mostly paved roads (there was a tiny bit of trail running at one point), which were fast and flat. (There were a couple of rolling inclines on mile 4, but nothing too crazy—I wouldn’t even call them hills.)

photo (14) (600x450)

I loved this course. I take Murphy to Bare Cove Park all the time, but I’ve never run there—unless it’s a run-walk with the pug. I’ve thought about running there on my own, but I always feel guilty about going to Bare Cove Park without Murphy because I know how much he loves it. (I know I have issues.) Long story short, I was really excited for the chance to run along the paths at Bare Cove Park and enjoy the beautiful scenery.

photo (13) (600x450)

Now don’t get me wrong, I love running road races, but I didn’t experience that excited energy that I usually get before lining up to the start line. I had a really crappy run the day before, so I just wasn’t super pumped about this race. And, as you know, I’m coming off a bad flare, so I wasn’t feeling awesome. I knew I wasn’t 100%, so I didn’t set any time goals for myself, but instead I challenged myself to run all 5 miles without stopping to walk.

I started out slow and steady for the first few miles of the race. I had a great playlist (The Killers + Macklemore) on my iPhone, so I zoned out and appreciated the experience—the sights, sounds, and runners. It was a gorgeous evening (we had perfect running weather), and Bare Cove Park is such a pretty place to run.

• Mile 1: 8:40
    • Mile 2: 8:30
    • Mile 3: 8:36

As I approached mile 4, I felt pretty good (with no potential digestive issues on the horizon), so picked up the pace. Before I knew it, I saw the sign for the final mile, so I continued to truck along and sped by all sorts of runners in the final 400 meters. Usually, I’m the person getting picked-off by other runners, so it was actually kind of fun finishing that way!

• Mile 4: 8:19
    • Mile 5: 8:15

Total time: 42:55 (8:35 mile)

photo (17) (600x450)

Obviously, it wasn’t my fastest 5-miler, but I’m happy with my time and the fact that I didn’t stop to walk. Heyyyyy, I’m making a comeback!

photo (18) (600x600)

Questions of the Day

What non-time goals do you set for yourself on race day?

Are you superstitious about your bib number?

P.S. Last chance to get 15% off BIC Bands (excluding sale items)! Just use code “CNC15” at checkout. The code is only good until tonight (Sunday) at midnight (EST), so be sure to hop on it!

Zoe August 25, 2013 at 10:25 am

i try and just let go of any negative thoughts. i’ve trained, i’m here with my a-game, and my head’s in the game. no time to waste on self-sabotage!

Aurora@Fitness is Sweet August 25, 2013 at 10:34 am

Great job on your race! Your best time or not-you still got to pass tons of runners-that’s the most fun part isn’t it?

Sky @ The Blonde In Black August 25, 2013 at 11:12 am

That sounds like such a fun race and a great place to run. Non time goals I set would be not to walk during a run and to pick up the pace until I reach a certain object in sight! Great job on your race time!

Maureen August 25, 2013 at 11:13 am

Great job on the race!
    When hubby & I go on a walk alone, we will never walk by a certain park because it’s where we take Sasha and we feel bad going there without her. At least I know I’m not alone in in dog-parent guilt!

Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food August 25, 2013 at 11:17 am

Great job on your race! I set goals to just focus on myself and no one else. I tend to get really distraced by other runners, especially when I get passed by an old man or a kid. It throws me off and it’s something I always try to work on.

Alyssa August 25, 2013 at 11:24 am

Awesome job!

Annie @ herightfit.com August 25, 2013 at 11:38 am

I love your headband in the last picture!

Heather @fitncookies August 25, 2013 at 11:38 am

I’m with you- I set goals about running the whole thing, or Only take 1 walk break, or only walk through drink stations. I find that I do better with those goals than a time one! Congrats on the race though :) That’s an awesome time for having all those problems leading u pto it :)

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food August 25, 2013 at 12:19 pm

I ran today with no goal for distance or time and it was one of my best runs! Also, I just wrote today how I will never end a training run on a weird distance…it has to be on the mile or half mile!

Megan (The Lyons' Share) August 25, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Great attitude! I ran a race today that wasn’t my fastest, either, but I always try to find the positives – at least we’re out there running, right?!

Jill C. August 25, 2013 at 1:45 pm

I’ve never given my bib number any thought. Should I?! What are your superstitions? And I totally get the whole feeling guilty for going to your dog’s favorite spot without them. I run around Lake Patsy in Oxford, MS, which is my dogs’ favorite because they get to swim. I always feel guilty when I’m running around the pond and they’re sitting at home…

Amy @ crazysweatymommy August 25, 2013 at 2:23 pm

I try to “not walk” and just finish. I have to try not to get into my own head, but that never really works!

Luv What You Do August 25, 2013 at 2:26 pm

I’ve never been superstitious about my race numbers. On race day, I set non time goal to have fun or support friends.

Farah August 25, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Great splits Tina – and you are way too hard on yourself!! You are much faster than most people! Right now I’m just basking in the endorphins of doing my first and second triathlons in the same weekend (crazy I know!) Sprint tri on Saturday and Olympic today…was slow as molasses on the bike and run parts but who cares!!! Ha ha! Enjoy the rest of your weekend!!

Shel@PeachyPalate August 25, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Incredible time well done! I’ve had an injured foot…pain in the ass or foot rather! Do you have any good rowing workouts I could try? I never use the rower and have no idea what I should set it at or aim for!

Tina August 25, 2013 at 3:33 pm

There’s one on CNC under the ‘Workouts’ tab, but I’ll work on coming up with a new one soon. I’ve been getting requests for them lately!

Annette@FitnessPerks August 25, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Fun race! Nice work.

I love your top! And yes, totes all about even numbers <3

Lisa August 25, 2013 at 3:57 pm

Great job on your race! :-) I love your headband in the last picture!

I just wanted to let you know that I nominated you for The Sunshine Award on my blog. Check out my blog for all the details! :-)

Tina August 25, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Aww, thank you! :)

Nicole August 25, 2013 at 4:40 pm

Nice job!!

Ashley August 25, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Great race Tina!!
    Honestly my goal with any race is to just enjoy it as much as I can, no matter the distance. Running is something that is always a challenge for me, 3 miles or 13, so I focus on the experience during races so that I don’t stress myself out or put too much pressure on the race.

Katie August 25, 2013 at 7:11 pm

Great race and I adore Bare Cove Park – such a wonderful spot! I’m the same way and feel guilty going to places without my dog if I know it’s one of her favorites!

Julie @ RDelicious Kitchen August 25, 2013 at 7:28 pm

great job on the race!!! It’s so hard to find PM races .. That’s when I tend to run and what my body’s used to.. sometimes it’s hard to adjust to the early AM race times

Annie @ herightfit.com August 25, 2013 at 8:34 pm

In terms of non-time goals, I try and set goals to give my self a positive (internal) shout out at certain locations. For example, at the one mile mark I’ll make myself say “You feel fast and relaxed” and so on for different locations. This keeps me focused on the positive instead of the pain.

Audrey @ In Shape Cupcake August 25, 2013 at 8:50 pm

Awesome job! Hey, 42 minutes is good and even better when you don’t stop to walk! Whoop whoop!

Christine August 25, 2013 at 8:50 pm

Great job! I love your top in the race photo!

body fitness August 26, 2013 at 2:13 am

This activity is great! Awesome.

cheap travel packages August 26, 2013 at 2:31 am

It looks like you all enjoyed . Great.

Danielle @ Food-Dee.com August 26, 2013 at 8:15 am

Nice job! The funny thing is, I run in this park ALL the time yet this is my first End of Summer race. I know Murphy would be sad, but you should mix in a run in there before the winter. Wompatuck is also a good park to run in, and has some decent hills.

Kathleen August 26, 2013 at 12:30 pm

odd numbers = evil to me. that’s funny about the even race numbers- I am so with you (but think the other way around!)

Adrianna August 26, 2013 at 10:56 pm

great job!!
    in general I’m not a fan of even numbers…always stick to the odds :)

Amanda @ There Are 2 Sides August 27, 2013 at 3:17 pm

For all of my great races, there has been a 7 in the number.