• Double Rest Days {My Workouts Last Week}

August 10, 2013

Hi, friends!

I only ended up working out two days last week (although, I did three workouts), which means I took quite a few rest days.

After the “WODs and Paleo Retreat,” I definitely needed a couple of days of rest (beach WODs, paddle boarding, throwdown, oh my!), so I took Tuesday and Wednesday off. I got back into the swing of things with a double workout on Thursday, which I typically only need one day to recover from. But, with the Falmouth Road Race coming up tomorrow, I figured I should give my body plenty of time to rest, so I took off another two days.

Now that I am older, I feel like my body doesn’t recover as quickly as it used to. Of course, this depends on the actual workout I do and what I eat and how much I sleep afterward, but, in general, it takes my body at least a full day to feel 100% again. I can usually get away with an “active recovery” workout after a hard (or heavy) one, but sometimes I just need two full days before I can go all out and perform my best at my next workout

Anyway, here’s a recap of last week’s workouts!

Monday: CrossFit

crossfit 10 los cabos

Tuesday: Off

Wednesday: Off

Thursday: 6 miles + CrossFit

I’m really enjoying my half marathon training plan from Abby. I missed a few runs when I was in Cabo last week, but, I honestly could not have fit them in with all of the activity we did. I would have died. CrossFit + running = exhausting. And, hey, it’s not like I was just sitting on my butt, right? Anyway, I’m back on track with my training this week!

Here’s the workout I did on Thursday: 2 mile warm up, 4 x 800m (400m active recovery btw sets), 1 mile @ 8:30 (6 miles)

Those 800s were so tough! That’s such a brutal distance to run as a fast interval. Almost every time I looked at my Timex GPS Watch (is it over yet?!?), I’d only be halfway with another 400 meters to run. GAH! It was so hard!

Making sure I fully recovered between each 800m was key for me. It was supposed to be an active recovery, so I jogged slowly and even walked during the 400s, which ended up being a good decision since I was able to hit almost all of my time goals for the 800s.

All in all, it was a great workout, and I was surprised how quickly those 6 miles flew by, which is something I haven’t thought in ages!

photo (3) (450x600)_thumb[2]

My second workout of the day was CrossFit. I wasn’t planning to go, but then Jess suggested driving down to Falmouth after class, so I decided to go. It actually wasn’t too tough of a workout (rowing + kettlebell swings). I finished 5 rounds in 12 minutes.

photo (4) (450x600)

Friday: Off

Saturday: Off

Questions of the Day

Do you ever take double rest days?

How long does it typically take you to recover from a workout?

Danica August 10, 2013 at 9:40 am

I typically need one full day of rest after tough workouts, but after I do each half marathon I take a day of rest plus the following day of yoga and very light cardio. The older I get the more I learn about the (necessary) importance/value of rest days!

Linda @running4two August 10, 2013 at 9:48 am

It really depends on the workout, but if I do a long run who a really hard workout, I will rest the next day. Today will most likely be a rest day…I am sore from yesterday’s workout!

Have fun at the race tomorrow and good luck!!

Megan (The Lyons' Share) August 10, 2013 at 11:10 am

I don’t usually take double rest days, but I also don’t do CrossFit like you – and those workouts from last week looked INTENSE! – so I’m not sure what impact that would have on my body. Now that I think about it, I’m pretty sure I did take double rest days after each marathon I ran. Good luck tomorrow!

Lucie@FitSwissChick August 10, 2013 at 11:35 am

I usually take one full restday and one ‘moderate’ day where I do an easy jog or Yoga. I feel the same with getting older I need more recovery.
    That run sounds so intense, great workout!!

Jessica R @ FromtheKitchentotheRoad August 10, 2013 at 12:32 pm

I have recently been noticing my body is taking a little longer to recover. As long as I have a full 24 hours between runs I am ok. Running at night and then next morning just doesn’t work for me anymore. So far I am ok with taking 1 day off per week but I do sometimes take off 2 days. I did that this week and had a great long run this morning because of it.

Sara @ sarasmiles August 10, 2013 at 12:47 pm

I’m really bad at taking rest days. I always feel like I need to move somehow. On days when I don’t do a cardio workout, I try and take my dog on a 30 minute walk or do yoga or barre.

Donald @ Tea Time August 10, 2013 at 12:48 pm

If I have huge workout, i even need 2 days of rest, but typically yeah, 1 day should be good.

Amy @ crazysweatymommy August 10, 2013 at 1:29 pm

I don’t think I ever recover :)……I will take double rest days if I need to…my only problem is that 2 can so easily turn into 3,then 4 and so on…

Paige August 10, 2013 at 1:38 pm

I feel like I’ve been having some pretty intense workouts lately, and this week my body just felt DEAD. Especially after an exhaustingly fun weekend! I decided to take double rest days this week as well. I am prone to injury and I’ve realized my body doesn’t recover all that quickly…It feels good to finally be in tune with my body, and those rest days made today’s workout feel spectaaacular!

Paige August 10, 2013 at 1:40 pm

@Paige: 5 workouts a week seems to be my magic number :)

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More August 10, 2013 at 1:58 pm

It’s not often that I take double rest days but they’re definitely necessary sometimes. It’s always better to listen to your body and take them when needed!

Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog August 10, 2013 at 3:03 pm

definitely take double rest days after a big event or workout, like a long run. Or, I’ll do something low-impact one of the days, like the elliptical. As I’ve gotten older, I notice it’s not harder to actually DO the workout, but yes, recovering takes longer. 10 miles used to feel like nothing to me. Now, my body feels it afterwards. I just did a 10 mile run and now I need to clean the house, but I’m out of energy! (or maybe I just don’t want to clean it…)

Shel@PeachyPalate August 10, 2013 at 3:45 pm

It’s the double workouts that get me. The first Insanity workout I tried last week I felt amazing after and in my post workout high I headed to spinning and then a kettlebell class…I couldn’t walk for two days!

Ashley August 10, 2013 at 4:48 pm

My fiance always tells me to take more rest days. I generally take one a week, with 4 days running, one strength day (normally a double) and one cycling day. As my mileage starts to pick up during training, I may need to start taking the double rest days though, I’m terrified of injuries!

Lindsay August 10, 2013 at 5:32 pm

I absolutely take double rest days. Right now we are settling in from a move, but once I start teaching dance again my day is on my feet, full-on movement from start to finish and I try to add a workout on top of it.
    When the weekend hits, sometimes it has to be all about rest, or I know my next week will not fair well. I used to just drag my body through workouts anyway, thinking “no pain, no gain” but I’m learning that the gain comes more from knowing what my body needs…and that includes REST!

Katie @ KatieEnPursuit August 10, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Good for you for listening to your body about rest days! I am really working hard on that this year! Agreed that as I get older I don’t bounce back quite as quickly as I used to! Rest Days = Come Back Stronger the Next Days :)

Yenna August 10, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Tina, ever try the “so delicious” coconut bars? These: http://sodeliciousdairyfree.com/products/coconut-milk-frozen-desserts/minis-coconut-almond-bars

And think its okay to eat all 4 in one sitting? :)

Nutritionally wise, and health-wise, would you choose them over the coconut milk ice cream or are they both comparable?

And in terms of nondairy ice cream….with the coconut milk kinds, do you prefer the “vanilla bean” or just the “vanilla”? And how does it compare (health wise and taste wise ) to the almond dream?

Tina August 10, 2013 at 7:51 pm

I’ve never tried them. Sorry. They look tasty though!

Livi August 10, 2013 at 8:16 pm

I definitely feel TONS better when I give my body a day off after a tough workout. I like to make it an active rest day though, with a walk some stretching and maybe some yoga!

Tiffany August 10, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Tina, I’m confused about your previous post…a wedding day message. why was it signed love, shannon?

Tina August 10, 2013 at 8:31 pm

Because a reader named Shannon wrote it! :)

Becky August 10, 2013 at 10:25 pm

Sometimes I take double rest days because life gets busy, but right now usually one rest day gives my body enough time to rest. But I think it is so good you listened to your body and did what was best for you!

Miranda @ Miranda Runs August 10, 2013 at 11:29 pm

I’ve been pretty good at workouts this week! I took a rest day today for my engagement party (yay!) and I’ll hit it again tomorrow! :)

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats August 11, 2013 at 4:21 am

I usually take 1 rest day a week but in the last 2 weeks due to work travel and general tiredness I’ve taken 2 days off. I think my body always does well when it gets the extra rest and I find the workout I do after a days rest is always a good one.

Jess August 11, 2013 at 8:19 am

Hi, just found your blog. I have been known to take a couple of days off after a big workout to recover, but then I can get itchy feet by the second day so i might do a light workout. Really can depend on how wrecked I am and whether I have an event coming up.

She Rocks Fitness August 11, 2013 at 1:01 pm

I have a hard time taking 2 full days off in a row, so I try to do a active rest day, which usually is a long walk with Kala. Then I will take a full day off, which I absolutely love. Usually it is on a Sunday, so I am ready to rock my workouts starting bright and early on Monday morning.

Julie @ RDelicious Kitchen August 11, 2013 at 6:54 pm

I took double rest days this week too .. I hurt my hip in my floor hockey game and I took 2 days off to recover.. my body definitely thanked me

Kate August 13, 2013 at 12:42 am

Hi Tina,
    I’ve been reading your blog for a little over a year now. I’ve got “tummy troubles” as well and found your blog while I was exploring paleo. You’ve been a real inspiration to me and I just wanted to let you know that. I tried crossfit in the past and enjoyed it but some injuries caused me to stop. Now, after months of reading about how much you love crossfit and the positive effect it’s had on you, I signed up at my local box. Tonight was my first class back and it felt amazing. Thank you for being such a positive influence! You’re so genuine and I hope you keep blogging for many years to come :)

Tina August 13, 2013 at 5:28 am

So glad to hear that!! :)

Michael August 17, 2013 at 12:39 pm

For me, it’s all about preventing injuries as I have become quite injury prone in my older years. I’ve learned to listen very intently to my body, and if it needs rest, I’m not afraid to give it what it needs. I’d rather choose rest then get injured and be forced to rest if you know what I mean.