• Delicious Ways to Eat Coconut Butter

August 8, 2013

Good morning! Back to regular posting (and pug photos)!

Mal and I got home from Cabo on Tuesday evening, so we spent the majority of yesterday getting our lives in order—unpacking, doing (tons of stinky, sweaty) laundry, grocery shopping, and cuddling the heck out of this little guy:

murphy pug

We missed him so much!

murphy pug 2

A face only a mother could love…

pug face only a mother could love

We left our fridge almost empty before leaving for Cabo, so when we got home, we needed to seriously stock up on groceries. This week’s haul:

IMG_3494

IMG_3495

IMG_3496

Since I went grocery shopping mid-week, I only planned dinners through the weekend, which means I’ll end up shopping again at the beginning of next week.

Here’s what’s on the menu for the next several days:

Health News & Views

I’ve been on a serious coconut butter kick lately. I recently discovered a vanilla cake batter variety of coconut butter (it’s incredible), and I find myself sneaking spoonfuls of it straight from the jar almost every day. And, okay, sometimes those spoonfuls are multiples times a day. I’m obsessed with it.

nikki's_coconut_butter

My blog readers often ask me how I eat coconut butter (besides straight from the jar), and I often compare it to almond butter or another nut butter. It often comes in a jar, and it’s a similar texture and consistency, but coconut butter is special in its own way. With that said, here are five delicious ways to eat it!

5 Delicious Ways to Eat Coconut Butter

What’s your favorite way to eat coconut butter?

How many times do you typically go grocery shopping each week?

P.S. If you’ve never tried coconut butter, I highly recommend Nikki’s vanilla cake batter coconut butter! It’s AMAZING!!!!!

Tonya @ Not Your Average Athlete August 8, 2013 at 3:20 pm

I have been meaning to try coconut butter but I can never find it locally. I may just have to break down and order a jar because the cake batter looks amazing!

Elle August 8, 2013 at 3:39 pm

I try not to go grocery shopping more then once a week, the closest good grocery stores are 20 and 30 minutes away

Nikki @ Grab Your Kicks August 8, 2013 at 4:17 pm

I’ve never tried coconut butter, but it sounds enticing. I usually shop once a week, but I’m awful at meal planning so sometimes I end up running out for one or two things.

Sarah H August 8, 2013 at 5:04 pm

What are the nutritional benefits of coconut butter? How does it compare to other nut butters? I’m all about the almond butter these days, but of course am always on the lookout for something new and delicious (and nutritious)!!

Louisa August 8, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Loving the solitary plum! :-D

Tina August 8, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Ha! I was in the mood! :)

Stephanie August 8, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Who watches Murphy for you when you go on vaca? Is it hard leaving him and/or finding a place for him to go while you’re both gone?
    I know I hate leaving my pup whenever I go on vaca. He gets so anxious at other people’s houses so I usually leave him at home and have people stay with him or check up on him.

Tina August 8, 2013 at 9:36 pm

We leave him with our dog sitter/friend, who has 3 dogs of her own, so Murph always has a blast at her house!

Annie Atherton August 9, 2013 at 10:02 am

We just did a bulk order purchase from Nikki’s this week! I just got a bunch of people from my box together and we all ordered a few jars. So excited for everyone to try it!

Tina August 9, 2013 at 10:17 am

Nice! Great thinking! :)

Molly August 9, 2013 at 10:56 am

What do you tend to eat with the Laughing Cow Cinnamon Cream Cheese? I have some in my fridge that I can’t seem to use up.

I love the light Swiss on cucumbers or mix the Garlic and Herb with scrambled eggs.

I’ve tried to put the cinnamon on baked sweet potatoes, but didn’t really like it…

Tina August 9, 2013 at 11:28 am

I plow through the LC Cinnamon Cream Cheese! I eat it on bananas, apple slices, animal crackers, inside strawberries, and I just made these the other day with it: http://www.thelaughingcow.com/blog/2013/07/30/mini-cinnamon-chocolate-chip-cheesecakes/

Tara | treble in the kitchen August 9, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Thanks for sharing the coconut butter tips! I have been so curious but have not tried it yet. What is the difference between coconut butter and coconut oil???

erika August 9, 2013 at 4:42 pm

I’d love to try coconut butter but I happen to be allergic to coconut. I also looked at the nutrition label for Nikki’s and it doesn’t seem like a healthy choice for me personally. It’s incredibly high in saturated fat. I’ll stick with my almond butter. :)

Tina August 9, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Not all saturated fat is bad! :)

Allison August 9, 2013 at 6:18 pm

I bet it would be good blended in with banana soft-serve. I love adding a scoop of pb to mine so I’m sure coconut butter would be delicious too!

Peach August 11, 2013 at 5:48 pm

A new way I’ve enjoyed coconut butter: with frozen tropical fruit mix (strawberries, pineapple and mango). Place frozen fruit in small bowl and microwave on high for 90 seconds. Add 1T coconut butter and mix till melted onto fruit. Top with gluten-free granola or nuts. Obsessed!