• Cabo SUP {Day 3}

August 5, 2013

Day 3 of the “WODs and Paleo Retreat” was easily my favorite day of the entire trip. It was packed full of all sorts of adventures, lots of laughs, delicious eats, and, of course, fun CrossFit workouts!

My day started bright and early with some blogging. The hotel has free internet in the lobby, so I parked myself at one of the tables and got to work. About 30 minutes after I started working, one of the restaurant employees came over and offered me a complimentary cup of coffee. How nice is that? I took him up on his offer and ordered an iced coffee with almond milk.

IMG_3209

Breakfast

A few hours later, I joined everyone for breakfast. I went with the lox omelet with sausage and baked sweet potatoes on the side. Delicious.

IMG_3212

I also drank a green juice. Obsessed.

IMG_3211

Workout

After breakfast, the group headed to Cabo SUP for a stand-up paddle boarding adventure.

P8031282

A huge thank you to Kristin and Michelle for these photos. Kristin brought her waterproof camera while Michelle snapped pics.

P8031286

Kristin and Ty, our fearless leader!

P8031285

Ready to paddle board!

P8031291

And we’re off!

P8031298

I was a little nervous about stand-up paddle boarding in the ocean (I tried it once on a lake without any sharks), but it actually wasn’t all that nerve-wracking. The ocean was relatively calm and if the waves got too choppy, you always had the option of going to your knees for a more stable position.

P8031306

Here I am being super serious and trying not to think about what’s below.

P8031307

Our stand-up paddle boarding adventure took us to Lover’s Beach.

P8031308

Where we did a beach WOD!

P8031310

The workout started with a short run in which we were instructed to find a boulder of a challenging weight.

P8031312

We used the boulder to do 40 walking Thrusters where we threw the rock in front of us.

P8031313

It was ridiculously fun and didn’t even seem like a workout—just launching rocks into the air on the beach. Ha!

P8031317

Maybe I should have picked a heavier rock?

P8031315

Some of us definitely chose heavier rocks than others!

P8031316

The next part of the workout was 20 handstand kick-ups (or handstand push-ups).

P8031319

P8031320

P8031322

I tried one handstand push-up and ended up with a face full of sand, so I stuck to the kick-ups, which were actually kind of tough since Ty instructed us to alternate legs. Kicking up with your non-dominate leg to a handstand is (mentally) tough. Seriously, try it sometime!

P8031324

The final part of the workout was taking our paddle board and swimming 50 strokes out into the ocean and back to the beach.

P8031329

P8031330

It was such an awesome WOD! And, obviously, a ton of FUN!

P8031336

After the beach WOD, we took our boards and paddled to see El Arco, the famous rock formation at the southern most tip of Cabo.

P8031341

So cool!

P8031345

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Lunch

After stand-up paddle boarding, we all headed back to the hotel and straight to lunch. I ordered the club sandwich, which was chicken, ham, bacon, and a fried egg inside of a lettuce wrap.

IMG_3259

Yummm!

IMG_3260

Workout

After lunch, we had a short break and then headed to CrossFit 10 Los Cabos for a workout.

IMG_3215

After a dynamic warm-up, we got right to work on Handstand Push-Ups and Muscle-Ups—both of which were skills just everyone wanted to work on.

IMG_3234

I learned so many new and helpful progressions for Handstand Push-Ups. We did a number of freestanding handstands, which really made you engage your core before trying to kip with the support of the wall.

IMG_3218

Cues that helped me:

• Keep chin tucked in.
    • Look at the ceiling when you’re upside down before you kip up.
    • Pop hips, squeeze butt, and drive legs up aggressively!

IMG_3251

I’m still not a pro at Handstand Push-Ups, but I definitely made some progress and even did a bunch in the WOD!

IMG_3223IMG_3224

We also worked on Muscle-Up progressions. I’m still a million years away from one, but I really liked the progression we learned using a band on the rings.

IMG_3237

You basically pop your hips, do a super fast sit-up, and push yourself up. If only it was that easy! Ha!

IMG_3238

The strength part of the workout was EMOM 12 Clean & Jerks, building by 5 or 10 pounds each minute.

IMG_3244

IMG_3246

I started with 75 pounds and worked by way up to 130 pounds, but failed on the last rep. Bummer. So close.

IMG_3248

IMG_3257

After the workout at CrossFit 10, we all headed back to the hotel to enjoy some spa services. They weren’t included with the cost of the trip, but almost everyone splurged on a treatment. Mal and I got a couple’s massage, which felt so amazing on our tired muscles.

IMG_3266

IMG_3265

After my massage, I grabbed a green juice and hung out by the pool for a little while. All of the boozing I did on the first two days of the trip was a ton of fun (duh), but it did not agree with my digestive system. Definitely need to rein in the drinking!

IMG_3271

Dinner

A little while later, Mal and I showered and prettied ourselves for dinner with the group.

IMG_3273

To start, I ordered the guacamole with sweet potato, beet, and plantain chips, which I’ve eaten every day of this trip so far because I love it so much.

IMG_3278

For my entrée, I went with the flank steak, which was incredible. Not the best photo below, but this dish is a huge hit with everyone on the trip. The meat is so flavorful and cooked to perfection!

IMG_3279

photo (24)

What’s your favorite water activity? Have you ever tried stand-up paddle boarding?

Julie @ RDelicious Kitchen August 6, 2013 at 11:38 am

i loveeeee lox for breakfast! It’s always a treat!

You guys deserved a massage after all these workouts!

Mandy August 6, 2013 at 11:57 am

Paddle boarding is by far my favorite water activity and I am actually about to head out on the water now!

Lindsay August 6, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Looks like this day was a blast!! The beach is gorgeous! SUP is definitely on my to-do list! It looks like so much fun.

Sara Flynn @ Zero to Sixy August 6, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Well my favorite water activity is swimming but I have never tried SUP boarding and want to SO badly! This summer has been nuts! BUT I think i am going to try it during labor day weekend. You can SUP board on the Charles! how cool is that?

Note to self: Definitely bring a waterproof camera!

Sara Flynn @ Zero to Sixy August 6, 2013 at 12:33 pm

They also have Yoga on SUP Boards…. THAT be interesting! :)

Lauren August 6, 2013 at 12:45 pm

That looks like such a fun day! I did paddle boarding on a lake when I visited Austin and it was one of the coolest things. A good core workout too! I definitely can’t imagine doing it on the ocean though haha that’s pretty scary

Sara August 6, 2013 at 12:58 pm

I am really, really enjoying your coverage of this wodcation! It looks and sounds like the coolest trip, ever! Also, you and Mal look amazing!!! Hope you guys had a blast.

Jillian @ Baby Doodah! August 6, 2013 at 1:18 pm

I love your blog and all the crossfit posts. I find it incredibly motivational and whenever I’m feeling low, I read a post and it helps lift my spirits and motivates me to get out the door.

I have a serious interest in crossfit but I’m really intimidated by the atmosphere. I am currently about 115 lbs overweight and pretty much completely out of shape, though I do walk and occasionally ride my bike.

My questions/thoughts/comments are, is someone at my weight (as long as cleared by a doctor) okay to do crossfit? How can someone out of shape keep up with the folks who are in-shape? Do you know anyone at your box or at another, that came in at an obese weight and worked their way down? If so, I’d love for you to pose some of these questions to them.

Honestly, I’d love to see an entire post dedicated to someone who came to crossfit obese and has changed their entire life because of the workout and lifestyle. Totally not trying to dictate your blog, (I know it might sound that way, though), I just have so much respect for you and the other crossfit bloggers and hearing how someone did it, would mean a lot.

Thanks for all you share!!

Cindy @ The Flipping Couple August 6, 2013 at 2:18 pm

@Jillian @ Baby Doodah!: Hi Jillian, I hope you don’t mind if I jump in! We have a member at our box who started doing CrossFit at over 400 pounds. He’s lost over 100lbs and keeps surprising himself by how strong he is! Our trainers scaled everything to manageable efforts when he first started, but he’s doing more and more movements at full range of motion now.

You can absolutely do CrossFit. I would make sure you find quality coaches (but I tell everyone that!) who will work with you to modify movements when needed and then just dig in. Good luck!!

Tina August 6, 2013 at 2:27 pm

I agree with everything Cindy said above and wanted to share a recent post I wrote: http://carrotsncake.com/2013/06/5-crossfit-tips-for-beginners.html I hope it inspires you to give CF a try!!!

Jessica @ Running the Miles August 6, 2013 at 1:22 pm

I’m seriously enjoying reading about your Cabo adventure! It looks so fun, and I don’t even do Cross Fit! I love the picture of everyone in the handstand. Awesome!

Erika August 6, 2013 at 1:34 pm

I was just talking about paddle boarding! I totally want to go someday soon. Looks like you’re having tons of fun!

hillary | nutrition nut on the run August 6, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Can I have your body when I’m 33!?!?

Eleanor August 6, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Seems like you had a lot of fun.The beach look amazing.

Tina August 6, 2013 at 2:36 pm

I have never tried paddle boarding. My absolute favorite water activity is to sit on my ‘sit n float’ raft and simply float around in the pool with a drink under the hot sun. It has to be sunny, and it has to be hot, and then I could do that all day, every day. It’s so fun!

Fiona August 6, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Love the pics! Looks like so much fun and the meals look delicious!! I am thinking of trying paddle boarding and you are a great inspiration!!

eileen ann August 6, 2013 at 5:13 pm

my daughter and i just took a S.U.P. lesson yesterday. It was a great day out on the beach.

Linda @ running4two August 6, 2013 at 5:24 pm

I am loving everything about this vacation. I always try to stay active on vacations and this makes it easy and fun…and the scenery is so beautiful! PS You look amazing!

rebecca @ blueberry smiles August 6, 2013 at 5:49 pm

what a neat trip! I want one of those green juices!

jill August 6, 2013 at 7:55 pm

I honestly don’t know how you guys do it…or how you don’t get injured….or how brave and adventurous you are…a-m-a-z-I-n-g…

also , have to laugh at the girl somewhere above who commented that she wants to look like you at 33….umm….as someone who is also in early 30’s….jeesh…we’re not 50….we’re still babies as far as I’m concerned ;)

anyway, everyone seems to be talking about x-fit or gpp fitness lately (tons of posts up about this)….also, u might like this recipe site (she seems in good shape/x fitter/cool recipes too : http://www.multiplydelicious.com/thefood/blog/

Also, if Cabo had a “swim up to ice cream bar” I’d plunk my butt there and not move till they dragged me away….envy envy u (in a good way)…

coming home from vacation always sucks, BUT I think u guys can always deal with that effectively knowing u have Murph waiting patiently (or impatiently)!

Sally August 8, 2013 at 8:00 am

@jill: @jill:
    Ha ha, I was thinking the same thing about the age comment, jill!

Ky August 6, 2013 at 9:01 pm

That sunshine is amazing! (It’s rainy here today…)

Is stand up paddle boarding the new thing? Seems like everyone is doing it. Except me…I’m afraid my height would be a disadvantage…

Nicole @crazyabouthealthy.com August 6, 2013 at 10:47 pm

Wow, that looks like so much fun!
    My favourite water activity is water skiing, and I’ve never paddle boarded but it looks like fun.

She Rocks Fitness August 7, 2013 at 11:35 am

Beyond JEALOUS! Looks absolutely AMAZING from the views, to the food, to the workouts, and again you look freaking awesome. :)

Becki August 7, 2013 at 11:59 am

Of all the cool things you have gotten to do this looks like the BEST! I’ve been wanting to try SUP for ages. What a perfect setting and it looks like a really fun group of people too! The picture of the guy with that massive rock is hilarious.