• 2013 Falmouth Road Race Recap

August 12, 2013

Falmouth is still my favorite road race! I had such a blast yesterday!

2013 falmouth road roace

Around 8:30 yesterday morning, Jess and I arrived at the runner drop-off area to take a bus to the start of the race in Woods Hole. When first I saw the lines for the buses, I was like oh, crap, this is going to take forever, but the lines moved quickly.

The race organizers definitely had the buses down to a science: we were counted, put into corrals (while a whole fleet of buses pulled up), and then instructed to get on our respective buses. It was so efficient and well-organized.

A short ride later, Jess and I arrived at Woods Hole where we found our CrossFit friend, Danielle.

And my blog buddy, Dori!

Before we knew it, it was time to line up for the start of the race.

3… 2… 1… GO!

The first few miles of the race are super crowded. (There were 12,800 runners yesterday!) The course is narrow, so runners are packed together and literally running shoulder-to-shoulder at times, which would usually annoy me, but I told myself before the race, I’d take things slow and steady on the first few miles. I didn’t get frustrated and just ran with the crowd.

• Mile 1: 9:25
    • Mile 2: 9:23
    • Mile 3: 9:19

Slow and steady running = photos opps!

Such a pretty course!

Around mile 3 or so, the course flattened out along Martha’s Vineyard Sound, and I was feeling pretty good at this point. The spectators were pumping me up and making me smile—I loved all of the signs and people spraying hoses to cool off runners. At one point, I even saw a guy, sitting on top of a ladder, with a microphone encouraging runners to start a wave while running the race. Haha! (I wonder if he ever made it happen?) Anyway, I kept trucking along and soaked it all in.

• Mile 4: 9:09
    • Mile 5: 9:10

At this point, I wanted to pick up my pace, but I didn’t want to push my luck either. I had a rough UC morning (lots of trips to bathroom, tons of blood), so I didn’t want to encourage an emergency porta-potty stop on the course. But, I told myself if I finished mile 5 and still felt good, I would pick it up. Well, that’s exactly what happened and exactly what I did!

• Mile 6: 8:55

As I approached the final mile of the race, I realized I had a ton of energy left in the tank, so I ran the last mile, including the huge hill at the end, as fast as I could. I seriously sprinted up that big hill (obviously, I made it my bitch) and continued to sprint until I crossed the finish line.

• Mile 7: 7:45

Total time: 1:04:13 (9:03)

Even though it wasn’t a super fast time, I’m honestly thrilled with my race performance. I didn’t stop once to walk, and I ran despite a really bad UC flare. Mal and I actually got into a little tiff before the race because he didn’t think I should run it at all since I’ve been so sick lately, but I’m so glad that I did. I know he’s just looking out for me, but I needed to run that race. Maybe just to prove that I could? I dunno. I hate this disease.

After the race, there was all sorts of food, vendors, and entertainment for runners and their families to enjoy.

When I snapped a picture of these bananas, the guy behind me said: “I hope they smiled.” Haha! Bananas always smile. Duh.

Post-race with Jess!

How was your weekend? What’d you do?

Kate August 12, 2013 at 5:59 pm

cutest comment ever: “bananas always smile, duh” bahahahahaha. Glad you had a good race and kept your sense of humor through it!

Miranda @ Miranda Runs August 12, 2013 at 6:44 pm

What a gorgeous race! I love the views!

Jessica @ Keeping Mommy Sane August 12, 2013 at 7:03 pm

I need to figure out how to take photos while running. This course had so many amazing opportunities!! Hope your flare improves soon … as a fellow UC gal, I know how sucky if can be :(

Devonshire August 12, 2013 at 8:22 pm

My weekend was great! I raced in the Spartan Sprint in Amesbury! It was a blast!

Danica August 12, 2013 at 9:45 pm

I’m so sorry you’re dealing with flareups again – ugh. BUT, awesome that you stuck out the race and just did it for you – way to go!

mi-an dela cruz August 12, 2013 at 10:13 pm

may i ask you what you wear for sports bra?? tata tamers from lulu?? this may sound weird.. but your tatas look nice hahaha. i hate sports bras that give you uniboob! so i’m looking for one that make mine nice and also has great support!

Tina August 13, 2013 at 5:30 am

Yep! :)

Delia August 12, 2013 at 11:40 pm

Re. Bananas always smile: this ‘banana keeper’ tool was linked from RER a few months back; the comments about cutting a banana open ‘on the right side’ are hilarious!

Good for you for running when it might have been much easier to cash in.

Tina August 13, 2013 at 5:29 am

That’s awesome! Haha!

Delia August 13, 2013 at 12:29 am

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0047E0EII sorry – this is the banana tool! Will have you rolling on the floor laughing if you havent seen yet

Tina August 13, 2013 at 5:29 am

Haha!

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance August 13, 2013 at 2:37 am

I can not take photos while running so kudos to you for accomplishing it! Haha…on a side note– It’s awful to hear that UC is creeping back up! Do you have plans to see your doc again soon?

kyla August 13, 2013 at 8:34 am

Are you taking a probiotic? Normally, we recommend Florastar for patients with intestinal disorders( I’m a RD). Congrats on running the race, you WILL karate slap UC in the a$$!

Tina August 13, 2013 at 9:11 am

Yep! VSL#3 DS for the past 6 months.

Jeanie @Breakfast for Dinner August 13, 2013 at 9:47 am

I also ran falmouth this weekend… coral 4. It was a great day for a race, and the crowd/ views are incredible. Glad you had fun, despite a rough morning ;)

Alyssa August 13, 2013 at 10:32 am

That’s awesome the way you were able to overcome not feeling well! Great job!! :D

Liana@RunToMunch August 13, 2013 at 10:48 am

Congrats!!

Looks like a beautiful race!

Amanda August 13, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Congrats on your great race! Looks like a beautiful course.

I’m sending healing thoughts to you, I hope you get better. UC sounds really crummy. Be good to yourself : D

Lori Popkewitz Alper August 14, 2013 at 11:32 am

Falmouth was my first race! There’s nothing like that gorgeous course along the shoreline. I ran it for years and then made the switch to sprint triathlons. So glad you were able to experience the energy of Falmouth. Hope you’re feeling better. I’m truly impressed by the number of photos you took while feeling sick and racing!

Dori August 15, 2013 at 10:05 am

You are still a strong runner! You did a lot better than I did. Great seeing you!

Paul August 15, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Nice pics. I don’t usually appreciate the scenery while running races but I did at Falmouth this year. I got married at the starting line!

shannon August 18, 2013 at 3:21 am

Hello Tina,
    I have been reading your blog a long time and I am getting ready to run my first 5k next weekend. the color run.
    DO you have any tips.
    i get really anxious( lol) about situations that are new to me .

Tina August 18, 2013 at 6:34 am

Have fun! Seriously, don’t be nervous and just enjoy yourself. I’ve heard that race is a blast! :) Good luck!!