• Weekend Fun Times

July 22, 2013

Hi, guys! Happy Monday!

Did the weekend fly by for anyone else? I feel like it was just Friday afternoon. Time flies when you’re having fun? Totally.

Friday

After CrossFit on Friday, Mal and I met up with Kerrie and her boyfriend Mat. We hit the beach for some sun and fun, and then grabbed a late lunch at The Red Parrot.

photo (2)

Our first order of business was cocktails! I haven’t drank in weeks, but I’ve been feeling better lately, so I ordered a Parrot Margarita, which was awesome. It was a margarita on the rocks with coconut rum, and it made me so happy. It totally screamed summer.

parrot margarita

For lunch, I ordered a lobster BLT (minus the roll) with sweet potato fries. The lobster was excellent—so fresh!

lobster lunch

Saturday

On Saturday evening, Mal and I met up with Elizabeth and Nick for dinner at Steel & Rye.

steel & rye milton

I started with a virgin Mojito, which, I have to admit, I might have liked even better than the real thing. It tasted so refreshing. I love fresh mint. Mmm!

The menu at Steel & Rye is incredible, so I had trouble deciding what I wanted to eat. I ended up ordering a bunch of appetizers and piecing them together into one meal. As expected, everything was absolutely delicious. I love Steel & Rye. It’s easily my favorite local restaurant.

Cape Cod Scallop Ceviche with coconut, chili, key lime, cilantro and served with dried plantains

Bar Harbor Mussels with smoked chorizo and lobster broth

Arugula salad with peaches, strawberries, and pistachio pesto

Sunday

Yesterday was dubbed “Sunday Funday” in honor of Kerrie’s birthday and all things summer. We swam in the pool, hung out with friends, and laughed at doggie antics.

I drank Skinny Piña Coladas all afternoon long.

sunday funday cocktails

Ate lobster.

how to eat lobster plates

photo (4) (450x600)

And red velvet birthday cake.

red velvet birthday cake

It was a pretty epic day… and weekend!

Questions of the Day

What’s your birthday cake of choice?

Do you like lobster?

My answers:

Red velvet cake with Funfetti frosting.

Yes! Especially with bacon! But, everything tastes better with bacon, right?

Alyssa July 22, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Carvel ice cream cake is definitely my favorite! Who cares if my birthday is in December? :P

I’m actually not a fan of lobster, which is weird considering I live right near Boston haha.

Samantha July 22, 2013 at 3:19 pm

I was in Maine last month and had a lobster roll every day I was there. This entry is making me feel lobster withdrawal pains!

Tina July 22, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Mmm!

Jean July 22, 2013 at 3:21 pm

I love Sunday Funday! I also had platters of seafood last night too. Perfect way to end the weekend,.

Liana@RunToMunch July 22, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Mnn love lobster rolls!

Allie July 22, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Funfetti and carrot cake are me favs, but I honestly just prefer the frosting!

tara July 22, 2013 at 4:21 pm

sounds like a great weekend! My new baby nephew was born a few weeks ago so I spent the entire weekend with him. I cant get enough! :)

Tina July 22, 2013 at 8:11 pm

Aww, fun! :)

Michelle @ 3cheaprunners July 22, 2013 at 4:40 pm

Red Velvet with cream cheese icing…if it doesn’t have the cream cheese icing – it’s not worth the calories ;)

Tina July 22, 2013 at 8:11 pm

Agreed!

Miranda @ Miranda Runs July 22, 2013 at 4:46 pm

Girl why are you passing on the alcohol?! I’m getting suspicious ;)

Tina July 22, 2013 at 4:57 pm

I drank lots of booze this weekend as seen in this post! :)

Kay July 22, 2013 at 4:49 pm

What a fun weekend!
    Anything with plantains I am alll about :)

adriana July 22, 2013 at 5:45 pm

I ate lobster this weekend but im not a big fan, i love cakes specially chocolate yumsss :)

Britt @ Fit Fit Britt Britt July 22, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Oh man! Everything looks SO delicious! My favorite cake is either cannoli cake (chocolate cake, cannoli filling, vanilla buttercream and topped with chocolate ganache… heaven!) or chocolate cheese layer cake (chocolate cake layered with cheesecake and chocolate buttercream). As far as lobster goes, I am not in love with it, BUT I have yet to have an awesomely fresh one… or with bacon which I am sure is yummy :)

amanda jewell July 22, 2013 at 7:06 pm

I LOVE lobstah! I can’t wait to eat more when I move to Boston.. in 4 days!

And favorite birthday cakes: cookie cake & german chocolate cake (i mean, seriously, chocolate and coconut FTW!)

Marisa July 22, 2013 at 7:22 pm

So funny story….I actually did not think I liked lobster until I actually had a lobster roll in Boston at Neptune Oyster last March. HOLY goodness it was so amazing. So now I realize that I only like really GOOD lobster :-)

Tina July 22, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Oh, yea, there’s definitely a difference! Bad lobster is really bad! Ha!

Yesenia July 22, 2013 at 8:30 pm

Love yellow cake with chocolate frosting!! And love lobster. I always pick it out of a good paella :)

Jacqueline July 22, 2013 at 8:38 pm

That mojito looks incredibly refreshing. I have to remember to order a virgin next time we go out.

Elisabeth July 22, 2013 at 8:38 pm

I love spice cake with buttercream or cream cheese frosting. However, I pick pie over cake! My favorite is coconut cream :)

Tina July 22, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Mmm… Coconut cream! :)

Katie July 22, 2013 at 9:08 pm

How funny, that’s one of my favorite spots too and I was there the night before and had the mussels and the scallops – the scallop ceviche there is definitely a favorite!

Nicole @crazyabouthealthy.com July 22, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Looks like an amazing weekend!

Favourite cake = chocolate cake with chocolate icing…the chocolatey-er the better. Maybe even put chocolate chips in the batter?

Shay @ Whine Less, Breathe More July 22, 2013 at 10:29 pm

I am so going to have to try that skinny pina colada! Yum!

My birthday cake of choice is pretty simple. Chocolate with white buttercream frosting. If I want “fancy,” I like German Chocolate with coconut-pecan frosting. So good!

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance July 23, 2013 at 3:11 am

Chocolate devil’s food cake is definitely my favorite!

That restaurant sounds amazing and the food looks even better. How can you not love fresh seafood?

Suzanne July 23, 2013 at 7:03 am

Love lobster! Your lobster roll minus the bun is right up my alley, love a little lobster salad over greens!

Carrot cake is my favorite cake, although my b-day is in August so I tend to go with a lemon cake…looking forward to that soon!

jen July 23, 2013 at 12:11 pm

carrot cake, yummy! I don’t eat any seafood can’t even stand the smell of it and my dad drops traps in Newburyport because the rest of the family loves seafood! Its probley so wrong that I live in New England home of the best seafood and don’t like it! My uncles always telling me to eat lobster because its one of the easiest things to digest with crohn’s if you skip the butter and mayo!

Rich July 23, 2013 at 4:57 pm

I just love lobster, but then again I love all sea food. As for cake, I’m not sure but usually anything with lemon in or on it.

Mo Morrison July 24, 2013 at 11:09 am

Where did you get that awesome skull headband?

Tina July 24, 2013 at 11:20 am

It’s from Junk Brands!

Mo Morrison July 26, 2013 at 12:23 pm

@Tina: THANK YOU!!

Peach July 26, 2013 at 8:58 am

So behind on my reading! Those pina coladas are very similar to my “beach blanket” – Coconut LaCroix with Pinnacle Whipped Vodka and a splash of OJ. Summer in a glass! :) Totally pinned that. ps – Lobster should always be pronounced a la Gordon Ramsey… “Lohhhbstah.” :D

Tina July 26, 2013 at 12:08 pm

That sounds delicious!!

Allison @ SkinnyElly July 31, 2013 at 7:27 pm

If it has to be cake, I would have to say carrot cake with cream cheese frosting; however, if I could have a cupcake it would be Turtle Cupcake from Vanilla Bean in my hometown.

I wouldn’t know if I liked lobster or not as I’m allergic to shell fish. Stupid iron deficiency.