• South Weymouth Whole Foods + New Food Finds

July 16, 2013

Last week, Whole Foods opened its doors in South Weymouth, which is the town where I live, and I could not be happier. There’s already a Whole Foods about 10 minutes away, but this location is even closer. I am never, ever moving.

photo (6)

I was a tad excited about the grand opening last Wednesday, so, of course, I was there bright and early for it. I couldn’t wait to see the new store!

The South Weymouth Whole Foods is incredible. The store has coffee and juice bars, tons of prepared foods, including a “Grass Fed Grill,” hot and cold bars, made-to-order sandwiches, sushi (that looks really good), various bulk bins, which even had protein and superfood powders you can try, a bakery department that makes donuts in-store… and, oh my gosh, I could seriously go on and go. Basically, it’s frickin’ awesome. (Local readers: I actually think it’s nicer than the Hingham location!)

I am so pumped that we have a Whole Foods so close to our house. It’s only been open for 6 days, but I’ve shopped there every single day since. Can you say obsessed? Mal and I are probably going to go broke, but at least we’re happy and eating well!

With that said, here are some new (to me) food finds from Whole Foods that I am really loving. Hey, I’ve spent a lot of time there lately!

Ginger Beer

I’m on a serious ginger beer kick. The South Weymouth Whole Foods has 3 or 4 different options, but I went with Reed’s Extra Ginger Brew because it was on sale. Just $3.33! It’s really good (light, refreshing) and doesn’t taste fake at all. Now, I want to try some of the other ginger beers from Whole Foods. I’ll report back!

Love Beets – Honey & Ginger Infused

Mmm! Love these! They’re baby (bite-sized) beets, which are infused with sweet and tangy flavors of honey and ginger. They’re so tasty and make an awesome snack or addition to a salad.

So Delicious Coconut Almond Chip

OMG. Best coconut ice cream ever. It reminds me of my favorite Almond Joy ice cream from Kimball’s. It’s rich, thick, and creamy with chunks of chocolate and almond mixed in. Buy this.

photo (4)

Garbanzo & Fava Flour

I stumbled upon this Garbanzo & Fava Flour at Whole Foods the other day. It was really affordable, so I figured I’d give it a whirl. I made some pancakes with it the other day, which turned out pretty well. Hopefully, I’ll have a recipe for you guys soon!

Organic Garden Stir Fry Veggies

It’s been so hot here lately and we don’t have AC, so I avoid turning on the oven at all costs. I found these steam-in-bag stir fry veggies at Whole Foods the other day and they’re great. They have a nice variety of veggies (I especially loved the squash and zucchini) and cooked in just 4 minutes. I added some chicken and coconut aminos and dinner was good to go!

What new (to you) food/product are you loving lately?

It’s too hot to cook. What’s your favorite no-cook meal?

Katherine July 16, 2013 at 9:42 pm

i love whole foods ! try their honey almond flax cereal! it’s sooooo yummy. i also love their 365 brand flax milk – a great change of pace and full of omega-3s!

Shannon July 16, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Ahhh! I’m so excited… I’ve also heard it is better than Hingham and while Hingham is a tad closer for me, I feel like I should support the Weymouth WF since I live in Weymouth. Plus the Grassfed Grill you mentioned sounds awesome. I do wish they sold beer and wine but let’s be honest, Granite Liquors can’t be beat for craft beer anyway.

Colleen July 16, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Sounds awesome, and have to say, sooo jealous you get a WF in your hometown and one a 10 minute drive away. I have to drive from Beverly to swampscott (not easy as you probably know!). But the lynnfield one is due to open sometime soon and they are growing veggies on the roof for sale in the store. It’s the first time WF has done that, I believe. And I hope it has all the bells and whistles your new store has.

Sierra July 16, 2013 at 10:28 pm

I love Whole Foods, I can never walk out of there without trying something new! My last discovery was this chocolate peanut butter popcorn….so good!

Nicole July 16, 2013 at 10:31 pm

I just tried smoked paprika hummus this week. It’s so delicious! Smokey and also a little spicy. I am going to try to make it at home.

Julie @ RDelicious Kitchen July 16, 2013 at 11:05 pm

i’m kind of glad the whole foods near me is a little far away .. bc i think i would spend my whole paychecks there

amanda jewell July 16, 2013 at 11:33 pm

I loved the South Weymouth WF! The bf and I just signed a lease (my first apt in Boston) for a place right on the Cambridge-Somerville line and… I just found out they’re opening a new WF 8 min (walking) away in Sept (on Beacon St)! I couldn’t be happier. A WF next to my school + near my house = I’m going to be well fed, but broke.

New food: does homemade cocktail count? I muddled some fresh watermelon with mint and basil then added vodka and club soda. It was perfect in that south shore humidity.

Go to no-cook meal: smoked salmon, sliced peach, greens, tessemae’s lemonette dressing.

Tami @Nutmeg Notebook July 16, 2013 at 11:39 pm

This time of year we love a huge salad of baby greens and every other fresh veggie in the frig all chopped up and then we add kidney beans, black beans and chickpeas with a nut based salad dressing. So filling!

Stacy July 16, 2013 at 11:56 pm

Exciting! Though as someone from Hingham, that’s always had a huge rival with Weymouth, I don’t think I’d ever be able to admit that Weymouth has anything that is better than Hingham. ;) But I’m excited to check it out the next time I’m back east!

Lauren July 17, 2013 at 1:15 am

I can’t wait to move to downtown Chicago so that I can go to Whole Foods all the time. It’s like a foodie wonderland in there. Everytime someone posts about their hot food bar purchase I die a little inside just wanting some myself. Can’t wait!

Stefanie July 17, 2013 at 3:17 am

New to me: Biscoff spread (I ate like half that jar in 3 days), and PB Toast Crunch (cereal is another one of my downfalls!).

No cooking: Taco Salad (chopped Romaine, tomato, avocado, green onion, kidney beans, shredded cheese, crushed tortilla chips, can add ground turkey or beef, tastes best with a Catalina-style dressing), tuna mixed with avocado, Mediterranean Tuna Medley (recipe at end of the post in the following link, not my blog btw)

Using our toaster oven: sub sandwiches (to help melt the cheese, plus toasted bread always tastes better!), individual pizzas on English muffins or hamburger buns

Using the microwave: sweet potatoes, heat frozen pre-seasoned chicken fillets (from Costco), cook/soften shredded cabbage or broccoli slaw (then pour spaghetti sauce over it), bean burritos

We have AC, but it broke and had to survive without it while Fresno had 10+ days of triple digit weather (we were at 112 degrees for a few days!) so I totally feel your pain.

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats July 17, 2013 at 3:43 am

That coconut ice cream looks so good!

I wish they had whole foods here in Australia!

STUFT Mama July 17, 2013 at 3:51 am

I recently just discovered dates. Who knew how delicious they are??? I’ve been missing out. I want to go grocery shopping with you! He he.

Jill July 17, 2013 at 6:35 am

I use the microwave a lot (not sure if that’s a good thing…but)…I also use the oven a lot and am crazy because this heat wave is killer….but there are only so many times I can open a can of fish (canned sardines, canned salmon, canned tuna…every day…ha).

Sara @ sarasmiles July 17, 2013 at 8:02 am

It is way too hot to cook down here in Richmond VA. I keep forgetting to make overnight oats the night before, but I’m eating something right now I think you would like: in a coffee grinder or mini (or regular) food processor, combine 1 T (or less) of nuts of seeds of choice (I use pumpkin seeds, brazil nuts (2-3), sunflower seeds, walnuts, cashews, hemp) and blend for 30 secs until consistency is like coarse sand. In a separate bowl, combine the nut mixture with 1 T chia seeds, protein powder (optional) cinnamon and blend well. Add berries and milk and voila. It tastes like cold porridge. So good.

Jennifer Fotheringham July 17, 2013 at 8:15 am

Loving the ‘Keep calm and Kale on’ – best one of those terms I have seen!

With the recent, and rare, warm weather in Scotland I have totally fallen in love again with water! Ice cold from the fridge, nothing hydrates you better and drinking more water can never be a bad thing!

My fav no cook meal would probably be a massive fruit plate! We have the most amazing and sweet strawberries growing in Scotland so it would include some of them, different types of melon, cherries, grapes, plums and anything else that looks good, that’s seasonal and fresh. Top it with some Greek yoghurt and you have one happy Jen!

J x

Erika July 17, 2013 at 9:28 am

I have a Whole Foods “across the street” from me in Dedham, which is dangerously delicious. I can walk there, and have often intended a sweaty run, but instead took a sidetrack to Whole Foods and bought a macaroon from their cookie bar or a fresh juice, instead. It’s a gorgeous store and part of the Legacy Place swanky outdoor mall that hosts high end stores like Blue Mercury and William Sonoma. I told my husband I’d like to be buried there. If someone asks my seven year old twins mommie’s favorite store, they chime “Whole Foods!” A fav there, although I have about one hundred favs, and what to eat on a hot day, is the whole wheat pizza dough. I buy one and cut it in thirds – make them into rounds then toss them on the grill on the deck until it’s firm and then add yummy toppings like fresh mozerella, my homemade marinara sauce or fresh basil from the garden, or a handful of arugala and splash of olive oil. It’s out of this world and we do it for guests. The dough is already risen, so just keep your eye on it as it cooks quickly, and grease down the grill first with pam or cooking oil to prevent sticking.

Tina July 17, 2013 at 9:43 am

“I told my husband I’d like to be buried there.” Haha! That’s how I feel about the new WF near me! :)

Anna {Herbivore Triathlete} July 17, 2013 at 10:20 am

SO jealous! I’ve never been to a Whole Foods but I know I would love it. My all time favorite grocery store is Wegmans. But I’ve heard WF blows Wegmans out of the water, so…one day I will get to go to WF.

Sara Flynn July 17, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Ah that’s exciting! My friend is house sitting right now and thats where we just had our girls weekend! We took the dog to the Stoggers? Dog park and ate at Caffe Tosca ? it was very good! I was telling my friends from reading your blog that there is a whole foods. I LOVE the ones that have coffee because you get get almond milk with your coffee. This one sounds like the one in Dedham… amazingness!

A non cook meal for lunch I been having veggie wraps with Avocado, Feta Cheese, Hummus, Cucumbers, Red Onion and Yellow Pepper! :)

Sara

Katie @ A Full Plate July 17, 2013 at 12:51 pm

I saw those beets at Publix (our grocery chain down in FL) and they were BOGO so I snatched them up. I’d never seen them before and they are as delicious as they look! Love them in salad.

meghan @ struggle muffins July 17, 2013 at 1:06 pm

I’m almost afraid to go to the south weymo whole foods because it might just mean financial and social ruin for me. I know I’ll want to spend ungodly amounts of time and money there. The thought of a grass fed grill alone makes me hungry. I’ve been mildly to moderately OBSESSED with coconut products lately. Just made my own coconut butter with coconut flakes and its delish. Been making a lot of salads with veggies, salsa, guac and nutritional yeast (+ some kind of animal protein) during this heat wave and they pretty much get the job done :)

Katie July 17, 2013 at 1:49 pm

My new thing, roasting apricots and eating them with Greek yogurt for breakfast.

I am gonna be on the lookout for the beets and ice cream at my local Whole Foods.

Julie July 17, 2013 at 5:49 pm

A few years ago when they announced Whole Foods would be moving into Jamaica Plain, this article came out on Boston.com and should be read by everyone:

“Resolved: Whole Foods isn’t as expensive as people think it is”

You won’t go broke! Unless of course you buy all sorts of things you didn’t already have access to (that’s the trick, isn’t it!?)

Tina July 17, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Thanks for the link!!

Liesl @ Fitnessinthekitchen July 17, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Ah, I love Whole Foods!! I like their 365 Brand natural peanut butter and it is a steal for the large size jar…not sure if they have almond butter, but probably, I always have someone else buy it for me since I don’t like anywhere near a store.

Monica July 17, 2013 at 10:40 pm

I don’t know how y’all survive without AC! I’m a wimp and pretty much run it all the time. I hate being hot. My new fav food is mini sweet peppers. I only discovered them a few weeks ago and can’t stop eating them. One of the ways I like them is to slice them lengthwise and put some Laughing Cow cheese in them-garlic and herb is the best-though I really like all of them this way! Yum!!

Amanda July 19, 2013 at 1:24 pm

If you’re on a ginger brew kick, try Maine Root. (In fact, it might be one of the other ones you mention that Whole Foods carries.)

You’re welcome. :)