• My Eats Lately

July 18, 2013

Good morning and happy Thursday!

My previous eats post was a big hit with you guys, so here’s another one with some of my (more interesting) meals lately!

Coconut butternut squash with cinnamon and chickpeas

Sounds a little random, right? Well, trust me, this is one delicious and satisfying meal. (I’ve been eating it a lot for breakfast lately. Sometimes I mix in canned pumpkin.)

Here’s how I make it: Melt coconut oil in a fry pan, and then add frozen diced butternut squash, cinnamon, and chickpeas. Cook butternut squash for about 5-7 minutes or until it’s no longer frozen. Unfortunately, I don’t know the exact measurements of the ingredients (I just eyeball it), but I’d say I use 1-2 cups of butternut squash, 1/4 cup of chickpeas, 1 tbsp of coconut oil, and 1/2 tsp of cinnamon.

Cinnamon-coconut bananas with fresh blueberries

This meal is very similar to the one above. I cook banana slices in coconut oil and then add some cinnamon. When the bananas are all warm and gooey, I transfer them to a bowl and then add fresh blueberries and a scoop of almond butter. Delish!

Approximate measurements: 2 bananas, 1 tbsp coconut oil, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and 1/2 cup of blueberries.

Coconut-mint iced tea lattes

Ok, it’s just mint iced tea with Silk vanilla coconut milk, but doesn’t “iced tea latte” just sound really fun? I brew the iced tea at home (just regular mint tea, chilled) and then add ice and vanilla-flavored coconut milk for a little sweetness.

Approximate measurements: I put ice in my glass and then fill it 2/3 of the way with iced tea and the rest with coconut milk.

Refrigerator surprises

I did a huge-ass Sunday cook-up this week because I didn’t want to turn on my oven any more than I needed to during a heat wave. Here’s what I made:

• spaghetti squash
    • sweet potato wedges
    • maple-roasted baby carrots
    • honey-roasted parsnips
    • roasted zucchini
    • garlic mustard drumsticks
    • chicken breasts
    • chickpeas (soaked overnight and cooked)
    • garlic hummus
    • garbanzo bean “English muffins”

And here are some additional ideas for Sunday cook-ups!

huge cook-up

Ok, back to the “refrigerator surprises”

Basically, I just use spaghetti squash or fresh spinach as a base and then top it with random goodies from my cook-up and eat it cold, like a salad. Sometimes, I throw in some avocado too.

photo (5)

Maple-roasted baby carrots

I am obsessed with these things. They’re so easy to make and incredibly tasty. I snack on them all day long.

To make: In a large mixing bowl, add 1 bag of baby carrots (16 ounces), 1.5 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp maple syrup, and 1/2 tsp sea salt. Roast in oven for 25 minutes on 425 degrees F. Try not to eat them all at once. (The honey-roasted parsnips, mentioned above, were made the exact same way, but I used honey instead of maple syrup.)

Nikki’s vanilla cake batter coconut butter

I’ve been putting it in the fridge and eating it straight from the jar. Holy yum!

nikki's coconut butter

Ginger beer!

Love, love, love!

photo (450x600)

Garbanzo bean English muffins and pancakes

I’ve been experimenting with Garbanzo & Fava Flour lately, and I baked a batch of little muffins the other day. I usually cut them in half, toast, and then spread almond butter on top, like an English muffin. I also turned them into pancakes (I guess?) by frying them in coconut oil and then topping them with maple syrup and fresh blueberries.

To make: Combine 1 cup garbanzo bean flour with 1 cup of water, 3 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp honey, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and 1/2 tsp sea salt. Pour batter into 6 muffin cups. Bake for 20-25 minutes on 325 degrees F.

Coffee almonds with chocolate chips

I love the coffee almonds from Blue Diamond. I love them even more when I eat them with cold chocolate chips from the refrigerator. Coffee + almonds + chocolate = the best.

photo (8)

Whatcha eatin’ lately?

Amanda July 18, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Those carrots look delish, I am adding that to my list to try this coming week. And I love the idea of coffee almonds + chocolate chips as a little treat, yum! Thanks for sharing.

I have been loving my ‘healthified’ taco salad (topped with ground turkey/rice/beans & chobani instead of sour cream). I’ve also kind of been obsessed with the dark chocolate raspberry chobani ‘bite’ 100 cal yogurt on top of fresh strawberries & blueberries. Sooo good…

Camille July 18, 2013 at 3:03 pm

PB&J on a rice cake (just discovered these…)

and ice cold beer — its so damn hot out!

Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner July 18, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Coffee almonds?! What will Blue Diamond think of next? I’ve been eating a lot of grilled food and salads lately. It’s usually too hot to cook!

Missy July 18, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Hi Tina

I had to let you know–I made the Artichoke Lemon Pesto Chicken Pasta from PaleOMG and the maple-roased baby carrots from above and they were both delicious. Thanks for the recommendations!

Tina July 18, 2013 at 4:33 pm

So glad you liked them! :)

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance July 18, 2013 at 3:36 pm

I ordered Nikki’s Coconut Butter and I blame you. It’s all your fault because I know I will polish off the jar by next week! :P

Tina July 18, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Yay! So glad you like it! :)

Sarah G. July 18, 2013 at 3:57 pm

I had to pin this post – so many good tips! I never, ever cook carrots but I will definitely be trying your Maple-roasted baby carrots!

Lately I have been living off of bean salad (I made a huge batch and scoop out 1 cup portions into a tupperware each day for lunch) consisting of 1 can garbanzo beans, 1 can dark red kidney beans, about 1/2 c chopped onion, 1/2 cup diced green pepper, 1 roma tomato diced, and a couple generous shakes of garlic powder. I season with salt and pepper, stick it in the frige, and eat at will. :)

Tina July 18, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Those carrots are ridiculous! I’ve made them 3 times already!

Kesh July 18, 2013 at 8:09 pm

I love your blog! Where do you get your cute straws?
    Oh, I ordered Nikki’s Coconut Butter. Do you heat it for a bit before eating when taking out the fridge? It was rather hard when I tried this method.

Tina July 18, 2013 at 8:56 pm

The straws are from OpenSky: https://www.opensky.com/stainless-cups/product/stainless-straw-bundle-cnc

I just eat the coconut butter straight from the jar, but you can heat it if you like it softer! :)

Katherine July 18, 2013 at 8:27 pm

parsnips are the best! and i need to order that coconut butter….my favorite eat lately is greek yogurt + almond extract with almonds and chocolate chips and honey. YUM.

Cara July 18, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Wow the butternut squash breakfast bowl looks amazing. Going to try it for sure!

Luv What You Do July 19, 2013 at 12:04 am

The coffee and mocha almonds are SOO good! A great afternoon snack!

Sierra @ Always, Sierra July 19, 2013 at 12:22 am

Those cinnamon-coconut bananas with fresh blueberries look ahhhh-mazing! I can’t wait to try them.

Lauren July 19, 2013 at 1:13 am

There are so many delicious looking foods in this post! I want to try the carrots, coffee almonds/chocolate chips, and the cinnamon/coconut bananas yum. I’ve been eating homemade breakfast sandwiches like it’s my job lately!

Christa @ Situps & Sequins July 19, 2013 at 10:01 am

Thanks for this post! There are so many great new ideas in here! I’m always looking for ways to change things up a bit, because it’s so easy to get into a rut. Sweet potato and parsnip “fries” have been a go-to for me lately, along with spinach and fruit protein shakes in the morning.

Do you know if there is anywhere you can buy that Coconut Butter, or only online? I haven’t even heard of it, much less seen it, so I’m just curious. It sounds delicious. :)

Tina July 19, 2013 at 10:17 am

It’s only available online or in/near Juniper, FL.

Christa @ Situps & Sequins July 19, 2013 at 10:34 am

@Tina: Great, thank you!

Peach July 19, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Finally tried the Emerald Sweet and Salty cocoa-roasted almond mix on the plane last night. Whoa, yum. Love the idea of this post! Lately I’ve been trying a bunch of new recipes from a dear Paleo-nutritionist friend. Almond-stuffed, bacon-wrapped dates. Enough said. Whoa.

Tina July 19, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Yum! Those sound incredible!

Kylie July 20, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Hey Tina! I tried the butternut squash and coconut oil this morning and love it! You’re right, totally satisfying. I scaled it down a tad so I could fry up a 1/2 banana in all that coconut oil goodness. (I also got that idea from you!) Thanks so much for sharing and giving us great ideas :)

Tina July 20, 2013 at 1:26 pm

So glad you liked it! :)

Lang July 20, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Wow, you make eating healthy food not a challenge at all! It actually looks pretty delicious!

Melody July 22, 2013 at 12:53 am

Random (and slightly stalkerish) comment, but I just stumbled upon this and had to share. :)

$1/1 4-pack Reed’s Ginger Beer coupon!

Tina July 22, 2013 at 7:33 am

Thanks for the link! :)

Jill February 9, 2014 at 12:56 pm

I have been kind of bored with my eats lately and was inspired by yoursDid not like the sauted frozen broccoli so much but LOVE the butternut squash. Will be doing that again and again – thanks for the inspiration!!