• Link Love

July 18, 2013

Hi, friends! I hope you are enjoying the day so far. Just wanted to share some of the links I’ve been loving lately!

link love

1. My Health Transformation – Against All Grain
    2. With Weekly Exercise, Time Trumps Frequency – Health
    3. Sad Dog Diary* – YouTube
    4. 8 Smart Ways to Use Leftover Wine – The Nest
    5. Why I Donated My Stool – NYTimes

*Sad Dog Diary starts out a little slow, so be sure to give it a chance! It’s so funny!

Xai July 18, 2013 at 3:59 pm

The stool article is so interesting! Though I admit that when I first read “stool” I thought of the type of chair! Hah!

Kristen @ Medium Roast July 18, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Oh my gosh, I LOVE Sad Dog Diary! That and Sad Cat Diary are some of the funniest youtube videos I have seen in a long time.

Tina July 18, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Haha! Mal and I quote lines from it all of the time!

Kathleen July 19, 2013 at 7:35 am

@Tina: we do as well! So funny!! I saw it recently and could not stop laughing.

joelle (on a pink typewriter) July 18, 2013 at 4:21 pm

That NYT article scares me a little with the title… haha.

Emily July 18, 2013 at 4:21 pm

The fecal transplant stuff is super interesting. I’m glad that the author got past what a lot of people would perceive as a certain ‘ick’ factor, and wrote about it in a frank way, just because I’m sure a lot of people don’t know about the treatment and could potentially benefit from it if they have UC. Are you considering having it done, Tina? I hope you’re doing well either way. Thank you for sharing that interesting link with us.

Tina July 18, 2013 at 5:38 pm

I would love to have it done, but the FDA isn’t allowing it for UC patients.

Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate July 18, 2013 at 4:24 pm

I love the Sad Dog Diary video! And I usually don’t have leftover wine to use on anything ;)

Lisa July 18, 2013 at 4:33 pm

I love love sad dog diary! It definitely is hilarious. Can’t wait to check out the others.

Kelly @ Runs for Food July 18, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Haha I just sent the sad dog diary link to my husband! The sad cat one is also really funny. I also laughed at the “leftover wine” link because there’s no such thing as leftover wine in our house.

Lindsay@LifeAfterDairy July 18, 2013 at 4:43 pm

I love Sad Dog Diary and Sad Cat Diary so much! I especially love how the dog refers to people as “my dearest human” but the cat calls them “the authorities” – so true! Also great: cat friend vs. dog friend. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbycvPwr1Wg

Tina July 18, 2013 at 5:06 pm

Haha! Thanks for the link!

Kimberly July 18, 2013 at 5:12 pm

Sad Dog Diary is amazing! Ze Frank, who does all those, has long been one of my favorite internentertainers and I’m so glad he’s doing BuzzFeed now. (Was that my way of saying “I liked Ze Frank before he was cool”? Oh well…)

Kevin July 18, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Drew me with the Beagle pic – we have two of them. Sad dog diary too funny. Part about the ‘filthy genitals’ hilarious. Thanks for posting links.

Johnna July 18, 2013 at 5:33 pm

I laughed so hard at Sad Dog Diary I had tears streaming down my face. I took a picture of said tears and sent them to my boyfriend and daughter, telling them this was the funniest video I’d ever watched. Mind you, I was at work when I watched this and couldn’t even laugh out loud!!! I made my entire family watch this that night. They just chuckled. CHUCKLED?! It’s genius humor with man’s best friend!

Ashley July 18, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Just wanted to note that I really appreciate you posting where the link will take you next to each link. I always like to know what kind of link I am clicking on nowadays. Nice attention to detail! :)

FitnFifty July 18, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Why in the world would anyone have leftover wine? Please call me next time if you do!

Sara July 18, 2013 at 5:45 pm

“Leftover” wine? I do not understand the concept.

Tina July 18, 2013 at 6:29 pm

Haha!

Julie @ RDelicious Kitchen July 18, 2013 at 6:50 pm

the sad dog diary is so funny!

Melissa July 18, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Thank you for sharing! Always good to learn something new!

Kristen July 18, 2013 at 7:09 pm

The “against all grain” story is interesting…I look like her “before” picture right now! I am not absorbing nutrients and doctors fail to find anything and I’m gaunt, too tired to exercise (for the last 3 years+), fogged, etc. However, I haven’t regularly been eating grains for a while, and still no improvement….so I guess all stories are different (?). I guess I seem to see about 25% find hope through paleo, another 25% find it through veganism, and the rest from the “everything” diet . :) Perhaps I ought to email you Tina because I’m wondering if UC is the hidden, unfound cause. It started out as a lot of “going to the bathroom” but the last 2 years have been the opposite really, so that seems different perhaps. I am uncertain of what to eat anymore and have developed a “food anxiety”. However I eat vast amounts of food and often compulsively eat but I’ve always thought that was from emotional dealing with the moodiness of fatigue, lack of sleep, and inability to exercise. I just don’t know!

Tina July 18, 2013 at 7:22 pm

Email me!

Emily July 18, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Thanks for the UC related links; some I’ve read before (NYTimes) and others I haven’t (against all grain). Have been wondering how you are doing from that standpoint–I have been reading since before you were diagnosed and I also have UC. I was recently hospitalized with a bad flare, tapered off my steroids over the past 2 months, and am now on 6MP as my long term plan. Would be interested in hearing the results of your VSL 3 trial as I am sort of doing that myself these days. I am thinking about making some dietary modifications even though the medical literature doesnt provide much evidence for it. Sadly I’ve had to cut out all dairy products and I am noticing anything with any sugar doesn’t work for me. I don’t know how much you feel comfortable sharing about your UC situation but its a topic I would be interested to hear more about on carrotsncake

Kristi July 18, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Against the Grain is pretty moving… it’s always motivating to see people take charge of their life by changing their lifestyle rather than just feeling like they are doomed. That’s what I am slowly working on. I don’t have any food allergies, but I have been dealing with depression and anxiety for years now and am starting to learn that things I put in my body do affect that as well.

Nicole Brown July 18, 2013 at 9:42 pm

the health.com article is interesting! Makes total sense, but I often put high importance on frequency

amanda jewell July 19, 2013 at 2:13 am

Danielle’s post was really courageous. Reading stories like that affirm my belief that you can improve (even if it’s just a little) an ailment via the food you put into your body. All the more reason I keep researching and incorporating things like more meat and gelatin supplements to help fix my hormones. Since incorporating meat back into my diet (I was pescetarian for 5 years) and eating mostly gluten free/paleo, my amenorrhea (from PCOS) has practically disappeared.

Caitlin July 19, 2013 at 9:32 am

@amanda jewell: Your post totally touches on the need for all of us to feed our bodies what they need and what’s right for us, despite the 8 million diets out there and food bullies. Good for you.

amanda jewell July 19, 2013 at 12:10 pm

@Caitlin: Thanks Caitlin! It wasn’t the easiest thing to do, but it was definitely the right thing to do. My body was talking to and I finally started listening. I think a lot of women ignore what their body is telling them so they can stick with a diet/desired appearance. For me, my body seems to give need a higher weight (than my unrealistic lean physical state), meat, and heavy lifting to have a period. If I drop a little weight or cut back on meat, my period goes on hiatus. It’s taken me a while to accept this b/c like most women, I struggle with being comfortable a few pounds heavier than my ‘”ideal weight.” But when it comes down to it, my health and fertility are #1.

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats July 19, 2013 at 2:30 am

The Nest article I don’t understand, what is leftover wine? ;)

Tina July 19, 2013 at 6:50 am

Haha!

Caitlin July 19, 2013 at 9:29 am

The stool article is amazing!! And to do that on your own from home with those results? Incredible. Although the blender part did turn my stomach a bit.

Eating 4 Balance July 19, 2013 at 10:06 am

Against All Grain’s health post was so inspiring! And #5 is just such a fascinating idea to me. I have been reading some of Chris Kresser and other GI Doctors’ articles on it and there’s so much hope there for people with GI/Bowel diseases!!

Amy @ Healthy and Fit for Real July 19, 2013 at 10:19 am

Sad dog diary…too funny! Also- I thought the leftover wine thing was going to be a joke…who actually has leftover wine??