• Baby Matthew and Other News

July 2, 2013

Good morning! Happy Tuesday! This post is a little random, but I think you guys will like it! Ready? Go!

Baby Matthew (my new nephew) is here! He arrived on Saturday afternoon while I was in Portland (both baby and mom are doing great), so as soon as my flight landed in Boston on Sunday night, I headed straight to the hospital to see him. He weighed 7 pounds on the dot, and he’s the cutest.

Mother Baby Care

I’m actually on the way to my sister’s house later today to spend some time with her and Matthew as well as my mom and grandmother, who are also making the trip to visit the newest member of the family.

Carrots ‘N’ Cake is now on Facebook! I’ve finally ventures into the world of Facebook and set up a page for Carrots ‘N’ Cake. I know, I know, where the heck have I been? I dunno. I’m active on Twitter and Instagram, but just never got into Facebook until now. Please hop on over to CNC on Facebook and give me a ‘like’!

carrots_n_cake_facebook

Carrots ‘N’ Cake is also on bloglovin’! Did you hear Google Reader is no more? How sad. If you still want to follow your favorite blogs, check out bloglovin’ and be sure to follow Carrots ‘N’ Cake!

follow_this_blog_with_bloglovin'

The Whole Foods in South Weymouth opens in 9 8 days! I am super pumped. There’s another Whole Foods about 10 minutes from my house, but the South Weymouth location is even closer. Mal and I are never moving.

south weymouth whole foods

Local readers: The South Weymouth location is offering sneak preview store tours next Monday. Details below!

whole foods weymouth

I am hooked on Songza. It’s like Pandora, but better. Instead of just music genres, Songza recommends various playlists based on the time of day and mood or activity, such as waking up, working out, commuting, cooking, barbequing, celebrating, sleeping, and much more. I’m obsessed.

Songza_

Health News & Views

If you’re heading to the beach this July 4th weekend, here’s a quickie workout to take with you. Exercise on a holiday weekend? I’m sure you don’t want to spend a lot of time working out, but exercising on the beach is a lot of fun and challenges your body at the same time.

The sand provides an uneven and unstable surface, which makes working out more challenging because your body has to work harder to balance, which means you’ll burn more calories and give your body a seriously great work. Additionally, the sand provides some cushion for your joints, so running and jumping is lower impact, which puts you at less of a risk for injury.

Try This Quickie Beach Workout

Questions of the Day

How much time do you spend on Facebook each day?

How far is the closest Whole Foods to you?

P.S. Check out Skinny Runner and me in this promo video with Dara Torres!

Kay July 2, 2013 at 12:42 pm

There’s no whole foods anywhere around here! :( But my parents have 2 or 3 in their area so when I’m there I’ll go

Jen Clark July 2, 2013 at 12:50 pm

I am on facebook way too much!!! The closest Whole Foods is over an hour from me in Orlando….BOO!!!! I love it though and make a stop there whenever I am in Orlando.

Mary Slagel July 2, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Unfortunately, the nearest Whole Foods is about a 15-20 minute drive depending on traffic. The plus side however is that is right next to Target which I feel the need to go to at least once a week so I get out there often and have more than one reason to drive that far. I also have a Publix Greenwise walking distance from my apartment if I am feeling ambitious (It’s a 3 minute drive otherwise) so I have really lucked out with that one. Both of those stores are my favorite. There is something so awesome about the selection there. I feel better about myself and the way I take care of my body just by walking in the door.

Ashley July 2, 2013 at 1:07 pm

My closest whole foods is a pretty small location, I definitely prefer trader joe’s but I like whole foods for it’s quick meal options like the salad bar.

Eileen July 2, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Congrats on your nephew! Tell your sister to sleep when he sleeps…critical advice!

I gave up FB a little over a year ago. I didn’t need another thing to waste time and I didn’t find it 100% enjoyable. Probably more about me and want I needed/wanted to be focusing on. Something about the ‘keeping up with the Joneses’ about FB that I didn’t like about myself (plus I didn’t like how much politics where thrown by my ‘friends’).

Caroline @ Broccoli Hut July 2, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Yay for the arrival of Baby Matthew!
    The closest WF is about 20 minutes away here, but we’re moving out of state in a few weeks, so we’ll have a WF within 10 minutes then. I can’t wait :)

Taylor @ Liftingrevolution July 2, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Congrats! Being an aunt is the best! You’ll love it, you get to spoil him and send him on his merry way when you get tired.

Erica July 2, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Congrats on the newphew!! So exciting. I don’t “do” facebook. Makes me feel a little bit like an odd ball, but I feel like reading blogs takes up enough of my time ;). Have a good day!!

Danica July 2, 2013 at 1:37 pm

The nearest Whole Foods to us is about 90 miles away :( Thankfully we have a Trader Joe’s, but I’m really hoping a WF opens here soon!

Jodea @ chillichocolatelove.com July 2, 2013 at 3:08 pm

@Danica: I thought 60 miles was bad!

Rebecca@Running.Food.Baby. July 2, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Honestly – I am rarely on FB nowadays. I find it a bit too crowded and full of things I do not care to read. But I still would say I check in at least once a day.

The nearest Whole Foods for me is 4+ hours away….yay!! :-( Actually I’ve never even been in a Whole Foods….

Christina July 2, 2013 at 3:16 pm

You can very easily injure yourself running on sand- feet and calves because the muscles are working so much harder.

Aurora@Fitness is Sweet July 2, 2013 at 4:05 pm

I definitely spend less time on facebook now that I have an Instagram and Twitter. I hate all the ads on facebook!

Emily July 2, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Closest Whole Foods is not far enough! Obsessed. I have to go in with a list, though, and only allow myself one non-list item per trip. Oh, and the salad bar? That’s a whole ‘nother story. Danger zone, for sure, but so good!!

Tina July 2, 2013 at 4:28 pm

So true about the salad bar!

Devonshire July 2, 2013 at 4:45 pm

I spend most of my time on Facebook than any other social media website so i’m excited that you’re on there! I mostly got a twitter to follow you and a couple other of my favorite bloggers and I love Instagram! The closest Whole Foods to me is about 7 miles away. I don’t shop there too much because they’re way more expensive than my local grocery store and farmer’s market.

Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner July 2, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Being an aunt is amazing! Congratulations to the whole family!

There’s no Whole Foods by me, but I wish there was. We’re finally getting a Costco in Green Bay, so maybe soon?

Ali @ WHOLEistically Fit July 2, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Congrats on your new little nephew! :D Can’t wait to see a pic.

Oh, and I can’t wait to scope out Songza – it sounds awesome!

adriana July 2, 2013 at 6:59 pm

My closest Wholes Foods is two hours drive, is so saaad :( , but when i have the chance to go is like going to Disneyland and go for every aisle haha

congrats new aunty :)

Olivia @ Liv Lives Life July 2, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Yay! Congrats to your sister and family!!
    I just recently discovered Songza, too, and looooove it. I wish I’d have learned of it sooner!

Elisabeth July 2, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Congratulations to your family!

I’m not on Facebook – actually, I’m completely anti-social media ;) I do think Instagram is cool, but I don’t use it because I’m sure I’d waste too much time on it!

Katherine July 2, 2013 at 8:14 pm

WOW CONGRATS! so exciting :D love the facebook page by the way.
    and my closest whole foods is ten minutes away on Bowery in NYC. the BEST salad bar…and pay-by-the-pound cookie bar…dangerous stuff.

Tina July 2, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Say what? Cookie bar!!??! Please tell me more! :)

Katie July 2, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Right now Derby Street – so excited about the new one in Weymouth!! Congrats to your sis and her family:)

Annabella July 3, 2013 at 8:13 am

I live across the street from a Whole Foods! How lucky am I?! But my wallet would disagree… lol

Tina July 3, 2013 at 8:13 am

Haha! I have a feeling the new WF near my house is going to make us broke!

Suzanne July 5, 2013 at 8:23 am

Just catching up…congrats on becoming an aunt! Nearest Whole Foods is 20 minutes, too far to just run there and grab stuff, wish we had one closer! Love to check Facebook on my phone when I’m waiting around somewhere :)

Sarah @makingitmyhome.blogspot.com July 7, 2013 at 5:47 pm

the closest whole foods is the one in bellingham but i have actually never been to that one! I usually go to the one in Legacy place in Dedham because they also have a craft beer section.
    I was just at the whole foods in hingham for the first time last week. I was a little disappointed in their selection though.

Katie July 8, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Congrats to your sister! Didi she have her baby June 29th?! If so, same day I had my baby!

Hope her and baby are doing well! Congrats to you and the whole family on the new addition!

Tina July 8, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Yep! Same day! You guys had the same due date too! :)