• Anniversary Celebration {Dinner & Sunset Cruise}

July 14, 2013

Mal and I had a wonderful 5-year anniversary celebration on Friday night. We went into Boston for dinner, which was followed by a sunset cruise, and we really enjoyed ourselves.

Dinner was at Anthem in Faneuil Hall, which was just a short walk from Long Wharf where we needed to go for the sunset cruise.

Mal and I went to dinner with some friends at Anthem last winter and really loved their menu, so we decided to dine there again.

We loved the outdoor patio!

I’m still avoiding alcohol (because of my UC, not because I’m pregnant), so I ordered a ginger beer instead of a cocktail. It was tasty, but I only drank about half of the can since this particular brand is made with HFCS, and I didn’t think my colon would appreciate that either.

For dinner, I ordered the Scallops + Bacon, which was seared sea scallops with crispy pork belly and grilled asparagus. Everything was really tasty and, OMG, crispy pork belly… yum!

On our walk to Long Wharf, Mal and I made a quick pit-stop at Godiva for a little dessert.

He got a dark chocolate caramel, and I went with a coconut chocolate truffle. Mmm!

A short while later, we arrived at Boston Harbor Cruises (BHC) for a sunset cruise. As a thank you for hosting a giveaway on CNC last summer, the nice folks at BHC sent me a gift card, so I finally cashed it in.

The sunset cruise was a 90-minute, sightseeing tour of Boston Harbor. It was fully narrated, so we learned all about the history of the harbor. I hadn’t done a sightseeing tour like this since I was a kid, so I found it really interesting.

My history teacher husband, of course, totally loved it.

The history of Spectacle Island was especially interesting. A bunch of crazy stuff happened there!

The cruise concluded with the USS Constitution’s traditional sunset ritual (a cannon fired!), which signaled the day’s end.

So pretty!

All in all, it was a great way to celebrate 5 years of marriage!

Questions of the Day

What’s the most interesting historical tour you’ve ever gone on?

Mine is definitely Pearl Harbor. I still can’t get over how much there was to see and do, and, of course, the history was incredibly interesting.

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List July 14, 2013 at 8:14 am

your cardigan is the best! where’d you get it!?

Tina July 14, 2013 at 8:19 am

Thanks! It’s from Ann Taylor Loft.

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries July 14, 2013 at 10:47 am

@Lindsay @ Lindsay’s List: I love it too! Very cute!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated July 14, 2013 at 8:27 am

I’m so glad you had such a nice anniversary celebration. :) You look gorgeous! And I didn’t realize your husband was a history teacher! Very cool!

Monica July 14, 2013 at 8:31 am

Happy Anniversary! You guys are such a cute couple! I think it’s fun and interesting to do “touristy” things in your hometown, gives you a different perspective on where you live. The last historical tour I did last year, I finally got to go to Ellis Island on a New York trip. It was so interesting and informative and really moving.

Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy July 14, 2013 at 8:36 am

I love short cruises! Dinner cruises are the best but your non cruise dinner looks pretty darn good. I’m not really sure if this counts as historical but I got to visit the space center in Alabama and see all the awesome stuff from the past years to now. I loved every minute of it.

Danielle July 14, 2013 at 8:37 am

Looks like the perfect anniversary celebration! So glad you had a great time :)

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl July 14, 2013 at 8:42 am

Happy Anniversary! Looks like a great way to celebrate. I’m not much of a history person, but I’m in vacation in Florida right now and we took a boat tour, which was pretty interesting.

Ryan @ Pause The Moment July 14, 2013 at 8:42 am

Happy Anniversary! P.S. – Those Godiva balls look delicious!

Most Interesting Historical Tour:

We toured Auschwitz a few years ago. There are really no words to describe it other than absolutely horrifying. Although it was a very sad tour, we would still highly recommend it if you’re ever in that part of the world.

Anna Bock July 14, 2013 at 8:50 am

It is really hard for me to choose. I loved Ellis Island, and I also loved Alcatraz Island (San Fransisco). Happy Anniversary! That is very exciting; congratulations!

Jill July 14, 2013 at 9:01 am

My gosh you are gorgeous. Your hair and skin are lovely. I am unable to afford any real facial things, etc…so is there something just basic one can do? (soap and water? hehe. And the frequency of your routine?) Also, sunscreen, do you use it all the time? I’ve already gotten some bad burns this summer out of reckless neglect.

Kelly@KellyRunsforFood July 14, 2013 at 9:10 am

What a great way to celebrate your anniversary! Congratulations!

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat July 14, 2013 at 9:26 am

What a wonderful way to spend an anniversary!

The coconut truffle looks wonderful and what a beautiful sunset!

Danica July 14, 2013 at 10:21 am

That sunset is gorgeous!
    My mom is a social studies teacher too and she loved quizzing us on all things geography and history when we were growing up. We hated it, she loved it, and she still likes to quiz us :)

Audrey @ In Shape Cupcake July 14, 2013 at 10:23 am

Awww you two are the cutest. A small cruise sounds totally relaxing. And that food, looks delish. Happy Anniversary !!!!

Mer July 14, 2013 at 10:33 am

LOVE the cardigan! Perfect for a night on the harbor!

Melissa July 14, 2013 at 10:54 am

Ahh, I absolutely LOVE Faneuil Hall! It’s one of my all-time favorite places to visit when I am in Boston. It looks like you and Mal had a great anniversary! So glad to see it.

Christine@ Apple of My Eye July 14, 2013 at 11:09 am

So glad you had an amazing time- you deserve it! Those scallops wrapped in bacon look to die for and those truffles are the perfect dessert! :)

Victoria @ Reluctantly Skinny July 14, 2013 at 11:13 am

We almost took one of those cruises when we were in Boston 2 summers ago – sounds like so much fun. We did the tour of Fort Sumpter when we were in Charleston last year – such a fun time! Probably my favorite historical tour yet.

Nicole @ FruitnFitness July 14, 2013 at 11:17 am

It looks like you had a wonderful anniversary! The sunset looks amazing! I think the most interesting historical place I have visited is Alhambra, it’s a huge beautiful old castle in Spain.

laura July 14, 2013 at 11:26 am

What a fun celebratory dinner! Haha–Your husband is so funny–is he hiding a bad haircut from us with his hoodie on?! I’m sure he loved it–I’m a teacher, too, and get nerdy excited for educational tours such as this.

Georgia Mae July 14, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Never realized Mal was a history teacher, that’s so cool! If I ever become a teacher, I’d definitely teach history. It’s fascinating. Boston looks like such a gorgeous city, how far out of town do y’all live? I can’t wait to visit someday!

Tina July 14, 2013 at 12:27 pm

We’re less than 20 miles from the city!

Xai July 14, 2013 at 12:59 pm

That boat tour sounds so cool! While it’s not a tour, when I visited St Pete I went to the holocaust museum and it was so interesting. It was really sad but still, very informative.

Elisabeth July 14, 2013 at 2:05 pm

The most interesting tour I’ve done is the self guided one at the Holocaust Museum in Washington DC. It was fascinating and very moving. I love pretty much everything in DC actually ;)

Heather @ Housewife Glamour July 14, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Fun!! Scott and I made a recent trip to Boston and toured the USS Constitution! It would have been so cool to see the cannons go off at sunset. Looks like you two had a great celebration. Congrats on 5 years! :)

Shel@PeachyPalate July 14, 2013 at 2:52 pm

I did the sunset cruise when I was in New York…a whole 7 years ago now! So many historical things in Ireland to see and do though, went through them all when I was a kid in school…Wicklow Gaol (jail) and Kilmainham probably stand out the most in my mind!

Beverly July 14, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Martin Luther King museum in Memphis, TN.

Alyssa @ Road to RD July 14, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Aw that looks like a great time!

Kalee July 14, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Gorgeous night! It looks like ya’ll had a great time too! Happy anniversary!

Katherine July 14, 2013 at 7:57 pm

adorable! looks like you had a great time :)

Annette@FitnessPerks July 14, 2013 at 8:09 pm

Fun evening!! I love scallops. mmmmm!

I think history is so fascinating for sure–I want to go to Pearl Harbor so bad!

W July 14, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Hi Tina,

Very lovely time you had, so glad for you both!
    I am still waiting on more testing for my health…I need to wait to see about insurance :( Quite down and would love to see a holistic doctor but money prevents that at the moment. However, I do know that I need to keep it simple and that I need a cleanse of sorts also. I’m just uncertain how to do a cleanse to be honest. I do know that food moves very very slowly through my body, so I’m not the type to eat a lot of meat (at all). I’m worried about protein sources at each meal (yes I eat fish and occasionally chicken, but if I eliminate eggs/dairy/beans/grains and do not want to eat fish twice per day, I’m at a loss!). I do think protein is important since my body is (literally) breaking down).
    If you have ideas or samples of exact lunches-dinners-breakfasts-snacks Please please do email me. This is very much all playing so much stress on me and I’m quite …tired of this and just want answers and …something.

Anyway, I also bought some “almond yogurt” from a brand name called “amande”. Not much protein, but pretty good. You like or no?

(p.s. if you know of any online nutritionists who offer cleansing meal programs or the like or who have knowledge in these kinds of things with inflammatory conditions- and more – or any books or specific sites with meal plans, etc let me know. )

Much thanks Tina. I regret being such an open book and quite pathetic in my comment; I’m just rather discouraged and down is all.

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats July 14, 2013 at 8:22 pm

We did Pearl Harbour earlier this year and for me that was probably the most interesting too.

That pork belly looked delicious!! I am always a sucker for pork belly :)

Kristi July 14, 2013 at 8:32 pm

You guys looked like you enjoyed yourself so much.
    I’m starting to appreciate historical tours a lot more these days. I guess as I get older, I’m starting to enjoy seeing the history of our country.

Avery July 14, 2013 at 9:19 pm

Great food, good scenery, awesome atmosphere,… the next anniversary has quite a bit to live up to,.. ;)

Suzanne July 14, 2013 at 9:57 pm

Happy Anniversary! The Harbor tour sounds like fun…we’ve lived in this area for almost 19 years and have never done one, I know my 11 year old would love the history lesson too!

Best historical tour that we’ve done recently is Westminster Abbey, the audio tour is really well done and interesting!

Anne @strawberryjampackedlife July 15, 2013 at 1:00 am

Well, since you took Pearl Harbor (amazing!), I highly recommend an architectural boat tour of Chicago. They tell you this history of all of the buildings, since they had to rebuild the city after the fire.

Lindsay July 15, 2013 at 3:42 am

Gorgeous date night, and Happy 5th Anniversary! Our 5th is this year as well, but not until December. We now live in Hawaii, and can’t wait to visit Pearl Harbor (we are waiting a bit as we know every branch of family that comes is going to want to see it…20 times later I’m sure it’ll still be awesome but maybe not time 21, ha ha).

Our favorite historical tours have been the War Memorial in Seoul, S. Korea. Having lived there for two years, it was awesome to see what a positive effect the US Military has had on the country, and being military ourselves, it made me appreciate why we were there in the first place.

We also recently went to Normandy, France and toured the D-Day beaches. What an amazing feat, and a stunning loss of life. Point du Hoc was the most shocking, as they have not filled in the craters that the bombs made. Also the American Cemetery, France flew in Kentucky bluegrass and California Cypress trees for the cemetery so our Americans are buried with a bit of home. That was incredibly moving.
    Didn’t mean for that to be so long! We love history;)

Emily @ The Swallow Flies July 15, 2013 at 7:29 am

I LOVE the Conch Train tour in Key West. You’ll definitely have to do that when you visit. The tour of Hemingway’s house down there is also so cool that I did it not once, but twice!

Tina July 15, 2013 at 8:12 am

I want to go to Key West! It’s on my list! :)

Jeanie @Breakfast for Dinner July 15, 2013 at 7:38 am

Looks like a great time! Mmmm Godiva!

Emily K @ Leaf Parade July 15, 2013 at 9:21 am

I love Boston Harbor Cruises! My family and I love to take their tours whenever they’re in town to visit. You should try the holiday sunset cruise they do in December — beautiful and festive!
    -Emily K.

Sara July 15, 2013 at 9:49 am

I love going to the old city of Jerusalem. Lots of history there, and activities for the kids. Happy anniversary! Looks like you had a great time.

Maureen July 15, 2013 at 11:24 am

What a fun way to celebrate your anniversary! It looks absolutely beautiful!

Stacey July 15, 2013 at 2:52 pm

I love that you read the ingredients on the beer :) Don’t you find it hysterical that it has HFCS but is classified as “All Natural”? I’m sorry, but what part of processed corn syrup is natural? Just goes to show people really need to learn how to read labels as marketing is just deceitful.

Happy Anniversary!

Tina July 15, 2013 at 2:57 pm

It’s actually not beer. Just ginger-flavored soda, but I agree with you about HFCS! :)

Lauren July 15, 2013 at 5:00 pm

That sounds like such a fun, different anniversary date! My favorite historical tour ever was definitely the tour of Ephesus my family and I took when we were in Turkey last fall: http://wp.me/p2MyWQ-28 It was absolutely fascinating and converted me from a tour skeptic to a tour lover!

Ashley July 15, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Wow what a gorgeous sunset!

Lori July 15, 2013 at 10:05 pm

Favorite historical site was definitely Pompeii, Italy. That entire city is was like a time capsule since being buried by Mt. Vesuvius ash. I could have wandered those ancient streets and alleys for days!

Denise @ Do you have that in my size??? July 16, 2013 at 12:04 am

What a fun way to spend your anniversary!

My favorite historical tour was of the Viking town in York, England – it’s underground and you ride through on something you’d see at Disneyland. So cool!

christi July 16, 2013 at 1:52 pm

My favorite historical tour is the Boston Freedom Trail Run. I had never done the Freedom Trail before and learned a lot even as a MA native. I loved combining it with a run throughout the city.

Meghan July 17, 2013 at 10:15 am

We went to Plymouth Plantation when I was thirteen; I loved how all the staff was completely in character the whole time!