• 10 Ways to Boost Your Mood

July 11, 2013

The other day, Mal and I were both in bad moods (oh, Gemini mood swings), which, of course, is never a good time. Usually, when one of us is in a crappy mood, the other person helps them snap out of it, but Mal and I kept annoying each other and making little snide comments. We both knew we were being crankypants for no reason, but we just couldn’t get ourselves out of it.

Eventually, I had enough of our bickering and craptastic moods, so I started suggesting little, goofy things we could do to get us out of our funk. I forget what ultimately snapped us out of it, but the situation inspired this blog post.

We all have bad days and experience not-so-great moods (sometimes for no reason!), so I thought this post might help you when you’re having one of those blah days. With that said, here are 10 ways to boost your mood!

1. Swing by Starbucks (or your favorite café) and buy a delicious beverage. My newest obsession is two shots of espresso over ice with coconut milk. (I bring Silk vanilla coconut milk from home in a travel mug.) Another suggestion: Ordering your drink with whipped cream instead of skipping it this time. Mmm, whipped cream… love it.

starbucks espresso shots over ice

2. Put some new photos on your fridge or in your office/cube at work. Think about how many times you look at your fridge or walls of your office/cube throughout the day… a lot, right? Put something there that will make you smile! For me, seeing photos of Mal and Murphy always make me happy. (I bought the magnetic frames from CVS for $2 each!)

3. Start a countdown on your calendar to a fun event coming up in your life. Having something to look forward to always cheers me up!

calendar countdown

4. Watch this video where a guy surprises his girlfriend with a pug puppy. It’s the most adorable thing I’ve ever seen. It literally brought tears to my eyes. Pug puppies are the cutest.

5. Add some sliced cucumber or fresh (or frozen) berries to your water. It’s such a simple thing to do, but it always makes me a little happier. Plus, it will encourage you to drink more water, which, of course, is a healthy habit!

photo (600x450)

6. Take a few minutes at Target, CVS, Walgreens, etc. and read some funny greeting cards. Once you’ve had a good laugh, buy one for your best friend and mail it to her/him.

my nuts are yours

7. Turn on Songza and pick an upbeat and happy playlist, such as Surfing in SoCal, Driving on the Open Road, or Touring a European City. Music is an instant mood-booster! Songza’s playlists are so great. I’m totally obsessed.

8. Make this smoothie or mix up this “cookie dough” for dessert tonight. Both are guaranteed to make your taste buds happy!

smoothie_

9. Skip your usual workout and go for a long walk while listening to a podcast or audiobook. I love listening to the Balanced Bites podcast on long walks with Murphy. It’s such a nice way to get moving and stimulate my brain at the same time. After some light activity and time to unwind, I always return home in a great mood.

podcast

10. Start a “happy” board on Pinterest. Some suggestions: baby animals, cute end-of-summer outfits, tropical vacations, inspirational quotes, Ryan Gosling, peanut butter and chocolate desserts… whatever makes you smile! I bet you can guess the theme of my “happy” board!

pug_pinterest_board_

What are some things you do to boost your mood?

Pat July 11, 2013 at 6:42 pm

I am so glad that I stumbled onto this website! I was having kind of a bummer of a day, but not anymore. Thanks!

Jolie July 11, 2013 at 10:42 pm

@Pat: @Lorraine: @Pat: This is definitely a great blog!!! I always look forward to Tina’s adventures with cure ol’ Murphy!

Tina July 11, 2013 at 10:44 pm

Thanks! 😄❤

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail July 11, 2013 at 6:44 pm

I love lists and did No. 1 today–plus I needed a caffeine kick (just a little one) with this new baby! ;)

Nicole July 11, 2013 at 6:52 pm

Oh my goodness, that video is too sweet! I’m with you on #9, I love to take a break from the gym and go out for a nice quiet hike with my dog when I need to clear my head and get in a better mood.

Kristen @ Medium Roast July 11, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Just that picture the Starbucks drink cheered me up! And oh my gosh, I don’t know that I have ever seen a pug puppy that cute. Talk about a little ball of love and smiles! I recently saw a beagle/puggle mix and I fell in love. I think puppies can lighten up any sour mood.

Suzanne @ Mixing It Up July 11, 2013 at 7:24 pm

My kids and I just watched that pug video about 10 times. The cutest thing ever and though I wasn’t in a bad mood, it definitely boosted my mood anyway!!!

Sara @ sarasmiles July 11, 2013 at 7:28 pm

I love this! I am always trying to think of ways to get myself out of a funk. Yoga always helps me. The “looking forward to something” is key. I will need to try that!

Jill July 11, 2013 at 7:29 pm

With Murphy around and a 2013 year filled with Ireland, Hawaii, Cabo, Fitbloggin’, etc…hopefully the good days outnumber the bad :)
    (everyone is allowed to have crappy moods though).

Nice list. Need to check out that cookie dough recipe…. I recently saw one on “chocolate covered Katie” that used chickpeas in the cookie dough recipe…seems kinda weird, but I guess its like a “dessert” hummus.

On your crap days, you can brighten your spirits with some blurbs about Murphy…make it a new tradition each week, ha …”The Pug Post” or “Murphy Mondays”.

Stacey @ Starpulp July 11, 2013 at 7:33 pm

I love searching “funny cat” on YouTube. Hilarious!

Kelli @ Hungry Hobby July 11, 2013 at 7:34 pm

Frozen yogurt, bubble baths, dancing, writing, comfy cloths, cuddling with my kitty…. When the day gets you down then put a pick me up in it life’s to short for restrictions!

Megan (The Lyons' Share) July 11, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Thanks for these cheerful ideas! I also like looking back at old photo albums (or Facebook albums). They make me laugh and smile!

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats July 11, 2013 at 8:13 pm

I look at humourous pins on Pinterest and a workout usually helps put me in a good mood or talking to a friend on the phone. A massage is a great one too.

love the idea of the magnetic photo frames!

WTW July 11, 2013 at 8:16 pm

Regarding your last post with the beet chips. Looks interesting. I’ve tried the “Terra” beet chips before. Not sure if that’s something you or your husband would be interested in trying?

Jolie July 11, 2013 at 8:43 pm

This is so funny because I have not been in the best mood with me leaving my husband and dog Silas soon to do a one year tour in Korea. Coffee is always good but tomorrow I am going to the coffee shop with my own milk! I never thought of that! I loooove songza! I actually played the Michael Jackson playlist this evening while getting ready for work… Definitely boosted my mood :) Most of the time to boost my mood, I go shopping or crochet. The other day I went to Walgreens and printed out a bunch of pictures and made a collage for my husband and I then got little frames and put them on our nightstands… As if we dont see eachother enough! That is mainly for while we are apart. This was a great post. Thanks!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated July 11, 2013 at 8:44 pm

I like the idea about the pictures on the fridge. :) Thanks for sharing!

Ashley July 11, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Bad moods are nothing a short run can’t fix!

Jill July 11, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Dying laughing at the part in the video where he crawls over to the camera all crazy. I keep rewinding it!

Tina July 11, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Haha! I loved that part too!

Katniss Curay July 11, 2013 at 8:51 pm

What a timely post! Those are amazing mood boosters. :) I cried over that pug video! I know how it feels to lose a dog and a new pup would really perk up a grieving dog owner. I loved the idea or reading funny greeting cards and starting up a countdown on the calendar of upcoming exciting events! Those are sure to improve my mood on a bad day. Thanks so much.

Lenore July 11, 2013 at 8:52 pm

I have a “happy memories” album stored on my iPhone. It always brightens my day to look through it. The last time I had surgery, my husband was ready with my phone as I woke up.

Jody - Fit at 55 July 11, 2013 at 9:02 pm

I try to do something for me that is just for me… :) OR watch “cheap TV” meaning easy watching! ;) I also take a walk – always makes me feel better!

Lorraine July 11, 2013 at 9:18 pm

Hi Tina :) I’ve been reading your blog for awhile but never really comment. I just wanted to thank you for introducing me to Songza. I checked it out and I already love it. Just what I needed!

Tina July 11, 2013 at 9:21 pm

That’s awesome!! :)

Danica July 11, 2013 at 9:18 pm

that pug video made me cry!! so sweet!

Sarah @makingitmyhome.blogspot.com July 11, 2013 at 9:41 pm

my favorite mood booster: having an all out dance party by myself. Michael Jackson or 1990′s paula abdul are sure fire ways to feel good again

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake July 11, 2013 at 9:49 pm

Omg. That video.

Beth Sheridan (sugarcoatedsheridans.com) July 11, 2013 at 9:59 pm

Oh! My favorite post of the day…I LOVE this. Starbucks is always my snap-out-of-a-bad-mood go to and all of your other suggestions are just wonderful! Thanks!!

Kathryn July 11, 2013 at 10:27 pm

Balanced Bites podcast is the best – makes my long commute so much more enjoyable. And Songza = amazing. Love your blog!

Victoria @ Reluctantly Skinny July 11, 2013 at 11:13 pm

I love these!! I totally hang dorky pictures of my fiance in my cubicle at work (he probably has no idea) and they make me laugh everytime I’m having a bad day. I also do yoga, even just a little bit on my lunch break alone makes me feel better!

Elisabeth July 12, 2013 at 12:03 am

The pug puppy’s the cutest thing ever!!! I totally cried watching that video.

Lauren July 12, 2013 at 1:02 am

First of all, that pug video, get out of town. Cutest puppy ever. Now i want a pug named pancakes :) haha. Also I’ve just discovered how great going out for a walk is. It’s so relaxing and really does help my mood.

i July 12, 2013 at 3:47 am

that video was far too cute. I totally just imagined being in her shoes.
    Also, lovely list.

Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner July 12, 2013 at 5:28 am

How cool! I absolutely love the pug video. One of my favorite things to do to boost my mood is watch an episode of one of my favorite funny TV shows like Friends or Gilmore Girls, something light and upbeat. It always puts me in a good mood.

Katie July 12, 2013 at 9:22 am

These are wonderful. I especially like the happy board and the long walk idea.

Christine @ www.idratherbesweating.com July 12, 2013 at 9:24 am

Whenever I get back to work from a vacation, I immediately put in leave for my next vacation. I don’t care how far away it is, it’s nice to have something to look forward to after coming back to work from time off. I also put a picture on my computer desktop of the destination I will be going so I can look at it any time I am at my desk.

Kelly @ Turned up to Eleven! July 12, 2013 at 9:33 am

I love all of these suggestions. Especially the podcast / walk one. What a great idea. I usually want to listen to just music but everytime we take road trip my husband downloads a lot of pod casts. They keep you thinking, alert and more awake than music (for me). I think walking and listening would be even better.

That pug video – tears SO sweet!

I usually like to do a beverage of choice for a mood lifter. Special coffee like you suggested, maybe something fun like a fresh lemonade / tea mix. Something different. Not the usual water, or whatever I will normally drink. Sometimes just a drive thru Sonic for a Diet Cherry Limeade does the trick.

Thanks for all these tips!!!

Mary Slagel July 12, 2013 at 10:50 am

Those are great ideas. I often enjoy going for long walks listening to music when I am in a grumpy mood or watching a feel good/comedy movie like the Ya Ya Sisterhood or something completely outrageous like that.

meredith July 12, 2013 at 11:57 am

I love to read ecard quotes- especially the SomeEcards- they crack me up every time.

Jennifer Fotheringham July 12, 2013 at 12:25 pm

The balanced bites podcast makes doing the housework fun! And I didn’t think anything could!

A Starbucks always makes me smile too.

The best way to cheer up your mood though, I think, is just to go out for a nice long walk, get some air and if the sun is shining then even better!

Or, a nice big, long hug from my husband and a ‘I love you’. How can you not smile after that!

J x

Tina July 12, 2013 at 2:48 pm

I listen to the BB podcast when I’m doing housework (and cooking) too! It makes the time fly!

Peach July 12, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Ack! You TOTALLY made me teary with that video of the pug puppy, waaaah. So sweet!

On a crap day or if I have a bad mood, I run or lift heavy. Stress release complete!

Tina July 12, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Me too! I’ve watched that video a bunch of times now and it still gets me choked up!

Amelia July 12, 2013 at 1:17 pm

So happy to see this post on a fabulous Friday no less! Great ideas! Working out, taking a walk even if it’s just up from my desk for 5 minutes, and reading just about anything – books, magazines or newspapers. Backs of cereal boxes work too! Usually anything that gets my mind to focus on something else then poof – bad mood disappears!

Jaime July 13, 2013 at 12:45 am

Quotations! Either motivational or just plain funny, a witty comment can make my day. I even regularly change the “tagline” on the front of my phone to something that can give me a boost.

Andrea D July 13, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Holy amazing post idea :) My best friend/roommate and I are often in bad moods at the same time and it doesn’t clash well around here and we’ve definitely tried a few of those things and they definitely kick start the cheeriness. So since this post is all about happiness and good news I wanted to share with you a link to a story I found about someone with UC who has increased her health immensely through eating paleo and testing her diet. You might have already heard her story so if so than just know that I thought of you when I was reading it and how strong you have to be to be a foodie with this disease!

Tina July 13, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Thanks for the link! I actually tweeted it this morning because I liked it so much. It definitely gives me hope!

Annie Atherton July 15, 2013 at 9:29 am

I was in the worst funk on Saturday! I started the day at our Box doing Lift Up Moore, and I so didn’t even want to move, but I forced myself through both WODs. Eventually my husband just cuddled with me for a while, but that doesn’t last long, because the 2-year old gets a little jealous and climbs all over us screaming “MY DADDY! Not yours!” I think the thing that finally pulled me out, was my sister dragging me out grocery shopping with her. We laughed the entire time :) I woke up the next day in a good mood, thankfully!

Britt July 24, 2013 at 9:33 am

The pug video made me cry !! That was so sweet !