• Silk Bloggers {Day 2 Recap}

June 17, 2013

Introducing… the Silk bloggers!!!

silk_bloggers_001

Hey, what can I say? We’re a fun bunch! I absolutely loved meeting each and every one of the Silk bloggers in Colorado last week. We all have different kinds of blogs and audiences, so we all bring something unique to the table. It’s a really great mix, and I am excited to work with everyone!

Day 2 of our “blogger immersion” at Silk headquarters kicked off with a focus group where we had a chance to share our thoughts and opinions about the brand, its products, and various social media and marketing initiatives. Even though Silk had a number of questions planned to ask the group, the session was very much a roundtable discussion with plenty of opportunities to ask questions and bounce around ideas. As a brand, Silk was very interested and responsive to our feedback, which I really appreciated.

After the focus group, we headed to lunch at the Silk cafeteria, which offered a ton of healthy options.

IMG_1207

And lots of Silk (and Horizon) products!

IMG_1204

I love a good salad bar, so I went straight for it and loaded up a bowl with all sorts of goodies, including grilled salmon and chicken, marinated tofu, and roasted veggies.

IMG_1203

I also ate a banana with peanut butter spread on top. It was the perfect lunch: nutritious, delicious, and satisfying.

lunch at silk

After lunch, we learned all about Silk nutrition, which focused on a number of soy myths, including:

• Soy contains estrogen
    • Soy will give you “man boobs”
    • Soy increases cancer risk
    • Soy is a major cause of food allergy
    • Soy is not safe for breast cancer patients and survivors

All of the information we discussed is on the Silk website, so be sure to check it out, but, I have to admit, I was really surprised by some of them. I actually stopped buying soymilk for my daily iced coffee at home (I still drink it in my Marylou’s) because I was worried about the cancer risk because of the estrogen, but that’s not the case at all. According to the American Cancer Society, breast cancer patients can safely consume soy foods like soymilk, tofu and edamame. In fact, a recently published study involving nearly 10,000 breast cancer patients found that higher soy consumption was associated with a 25% reduction in cancer recurrence [source].

IMG_1190

I also stopped buying Silk soymilk because I assumed it was made with GMO soybeans. I mean, it’s mass-produced and you can buy it at Target, so I just figured it was made with GMO soybeans. Well, it’s not! In fact, ALL of Silk’s products are free of GMO ingredients. Silk is certified through the Non-GMO Project, a nonprofit (third party) collaboration of manufacturers, retailers, farmers and consumers, who work together to ensure the availability of non-GMO foods and beverages. (You can find the Non-GMO Project label on the front of their products as seen below.) Currently, 93% of all soybeans in the U.S. are GMO. Isn’t that crazy? Silk’s commitment to only using non-GMO soybeans in their products is helping to keep that number from going to 100%. Awesome, right? Yay, Silk! Now that I know Silk doesn’t use GMO soybeans in their soymilk, it definitely makes me feel comfortable buying it again.

IMG_1191

After the nutrition session, we had a little smoothie competition between the Silk bloggers.

IMG_1208

We had all sorts of fun ingredients to choose from and each of us created our own special smoothie for the contest.

IMG_1211

IMG_1212

IMG_1214

My smoothie included crushed pineapple, frozen banana, honey, mint, and Silk Vanilla Pure Coconut Milk.

IMG_1223

Once everyone made their smoothies, it was time to vote. We poured our “entries” into sample-size cups and starting tasting, keeping in mind our top three favorites.

IMG_1220

IMG_1221

IMG_1227

My smoothie ended up being a big hit with everyone, and it won first place! Woohoo! Sadly, I don’t have the exact measurements of what I used, but I will definitely make this smoothie again and blog about it on CNC. It was so, so tasty—sort of sweet, creamy, and tropical, which would be perfect for summer!

IMG_1225

So this concludes my recap of my trip to the Silk headquarters. I’ll be working with the brand until the end of the year, so you’ll see a few more posts on CNC that feature Silk products, news, and other fun stuff.

And I haven’t forgotten about the carrageenan question that a bunch of you asked. It concerned me too, and I actually asked it within five minutes of meeting the Silk team. I was like, “Hi. I’m Tina. What’s the deal with the carrageenan in some of your products?” Ha! Silk gets this question a lot, especially on their Facebook page, so they’re going to provide me with some more detailed information as well as links to research and all that jazz, so we can get the real deal on carrageenan.

What is your favorite milk-alternative (almond, soy, coconut, hemp, etc.)?

Disclaimer: Silk is compensating me for my participation in their blogger program, but, as always, the thoughts and opinions expressed on CNC are honest and all my own.

Hali June 17, 2013 at 11:00 pm

I am in love with unsweetened almond milk!!

Lindsay June 17, 2013 at 11:29 pm

Can’t wait to hear about the carrageenan details!

Maddox Wadler June 18, 2013 at 4:47 am

Seems like a fun and informative day to me! I am so jealous! I wish I had the opportunity to mingle with other bloggers, share ideas and try those delicious and healthy food items. I’m sure that whatever you learned or experienced there you will carry in your everyday life and share to your readers. Good for you!

Jennifer Fotheringham June 18, 2013 at 8:07 am

Looks like you had such a good time! Great to get together with fellow bloggers and to meet new people.

David and I have started drinking unsweetened almond milk and love it! We only have 2 brands to choose from here in the Uk and only 2 kinds, sweetened and unsweetened. You occasionally spot coconut milk in the large supermarkets and of course soy milk is available. In terms of in cafes and restaurants, you are lucky to even find soy milk as an option! Haven’t really tried soy milk before but may give it a try next time I am in Starbucks!

J x

Elizabeth @ Positive Changes June 18, 2013 at 8:34 am

Congrats on the smoothie win! :) I love almond milk in any flavor! Chocolate, regular, vanilla, unsweetened!

Cortney June 18, 2013 at 8:45 am

I have been using Silk plain soy milk (mostly in my iced coffee) since 2002 (when I gave up all dairy) and it is hands down my fave. This combo fueled many study session in college!

I noticed the were non-GMO and it is one of the reasons that I continue buying it.

Jen Clark June 18, 2013 at 9:23 am

My main milk alternative is unsweetened almond milk from Silk, I drink it everyday. I am venturing into cocnut milk as well! I am very excited to things to come from your partnership with them!

Mary Slagel June 18, 2013 at 9:34 am

I always use vanilla almond milk for my cereal and coffee. I absolutely love it.

Ali June 18, 2013 at 9:57 am

Interesting – I also stopped buying Silk because I assumed it had GMOs (I don’t remember seeing the non-GMO label on it before but I see it in the photos above) …I’m going to go back because it really does taste the best!

Tina June 18, 2013 at 9:59 am

I did the exact same thing. I’m happy to hear it’s made with non-GMO soybeans!

Xai June 18, 2013 at 11:58 am

Your smoothie sounds super tasty! I’m glad that Silk is using bloggers to debunk a lot of common misconceptions about their product. It’s a great way to get info out there!

Amelia June 18, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Thanks for posting about all the soy myths. I have no reason to avoid soy and for me, everything in moderation. That said, I’m not a huge soy consumer but I like tofu and I’ll get soy milk in my every-once-in-a-while decaf iced coffee. Otherwise, I am a huge fan of Silk Unsweetened Almond Milk -original or vanilla! The vanilla is SO good in cereal.

Congrats on winning! I can’t wait for the recipe but sometimes just knowing the ingredients is enough to get me started. :)

Peach June 18, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Way to bust through the myths about soy! I only avoid it because I try to eat mostly Paleo, but have to admit that I do enjoy some edamame and tofu every now and then! This was a very interesting and enlightening post. My favorite Silk products are unsweetened Almond and Coconut.

Krista @ Tiny n Fit June 18, 2013 at 1:29 pm

I, too, stopped drinking soy because of the (falsely) assumed health risks. Good to know Silk uses only non-GMO soybeans- especially as I have a high risk for breast cancer in my family! Coincidentally, I also saw a tv special with Dr Oz yesterday also talking about the soy myths. Thanks for this informative post! I love unsweetened vanilla almond milk best!

Sarah@makingitmyhome.blogspot.com June 18, 2013 at 7:46 pm

I use silks dark chocolate almond milk every day in my coffee

Shelly June 19, 2013 at 11:32 am

I love either Silk’s or Almond Breeze’s Almondmilk. I always get the unsweetened vanilla version and use it in everything – coffee, smoothies, on cereal, etc. I must say it can make some recipes like mac ‘n cheese taste sort of funky though. I should probably use original in that case instead of vanilla. :)