• Running for Time or Distance?

June 25, 2013

Rise and shine! It’s running time!

Workout

I got my run on with Kerrie at Pond Meadow Park this morning. We met early to beat the heat and did a quickie run around the park. We’re both planning to go to CrossFit tonight, so we kept our workout short and sweet with a 20-minute run.

pond_meadow_park

I didn’t bring my watch this morning, so I’m not sure how far we went, but I kept trying to figure it out on my drive home. It’s funny how my mind always thinks in distance when I run. We ran for 20 minutes, probably 9-ish minutes per mile, so we ran a little over 2 miles? For some reason, knowing the measured distance is more gratifying than the timed effort for me. Does that happen to anyone else?

pond meadow park

Breakfast

After our run, I came home and ate my go-to breakfast, which I have been eating for almost a week straight now: sliced banana with blueberries and a massive scoop (ok, usually two massive scoops) of almond butter. I typically cook the banana slices in coconut oil (with cinnamon), but I ran out the other day. I’m actually waiting on a HUGE shipment of coconut oil from Amazon right now. I always buy coconut oil in bulk because the shelf life is so long, and I know I will definitely use it before it spoils. The coconut oil at Whole Foods: wicked expensive. On Amazon: totally affordable.

I also whipped up some green juice to drink with breakfast. I threw some fennel in this morning for something a little different. Mmm!

green juice with fennel

Health News & Views

Obstacle course races, like Tough Mudder, Rugged Maniac, and Warrior Dash, are super popular right now. They’re a ton of fun and challenge participants in a different way than traditional road races. During these events, participants climb over walls, scurry through tunnels, and even navigate fire pits in order to finish. If you’re thinking about participating in one of these races, here are some tips to help you survive it!

6 Tips for Your First Obstacle Course Race

finish at rugged maniac

Which do you prefer: running by time or distance?

P.S. Looking for some new healthy snack ideas? Check out my recent post for The Laughing Cow: Fresh Fruits and Veggies to Pair with The Laughing Cow!

Theresa June 25, 2013 at 4:51 pm

I always run for distance! Sometimes I think I should do more speed training, but if I get in some good mileage it always makes me happy.

I never would have thought to add fennel to juice or a smoothie, I’ll have to give it a try!

Kristi June 25, 2013 at 6:21 pm

I always by my coconut oil through amazon. It is really cheap, and I get a big container so it lasts me a long time.

Olivia @ Liv Lives Life June 25, 2013 at 7:11 pm

It’s funny, I never think to buy foods on Amazon, but I’m definitely checking out that coconut oil. You’re right, it is so expensive elsewhere!
    I always count the time when I run, almost never the distance. I have no idea why!

Claire C June 25, 2013 at 7:14 pm

I do both, but I am like you and I feel much more gratified knowing the distance. Gotta get in 5 miles tonight for Chicago Marathon training!

Meghan June 25, 2013 at 7:52 pm

Love love coconut oil!

Caroline @ Broccoli Hut June 25, 2013 at 7:57 pm

I almost always run for distance too!

Maureen June 25, 2013 at 8:24 pm

I definitely focus on distance when I run. And by focus, I should say obsess over. I like seeing how much faster I can go over the same courses.

She Rocks Fitness June 25, 2013 at 8:34 pm

I always run for distance, it is just the way my brain works and my body is okay with it. It is just easier for me to track my weekly mileage and when I am training for a race. :)

Rachel McIntyre June 25, 2013 at 8:45 pm

I run for distance too. Before I had a Garmin watch I always used to work out my distance on mapmyrun, even though it took ages!

Ellie@Fit for the soul June 25, 2013 at 8:48 pm

I would much rather run for distance but oftentimes I find myself running for time simply because I don’t have a way to accurately calculate how far I run! But there are times when I run a course and then drive through it with my car to estimate the mileage :D

Sophie @ life's philosophie June 25, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Definitely running by distance. Whenever I go running, I care more about ending at a whole/half mileage number than I do with time. Makes it hard to run without a watch…

Kim @ Racing Bananas June 25, 2013 at 9:13 pm

I totally agree – I run for distance too! It’s just how I process my runs – I’ve tried just running for time, but it doesn’t mean as much…not sure why!

Annette June 25, 2013 at 9:18 pm

Although when I run a short distance I am trying to improve my time, I am more worried about going the distance regardless of how long it takes me.

Patrick June 25, 2013 at 9:24 pm

The older I get the less time I spend running so now most of my training is based around intervals, either it be running or biking. To be honest I don’t think i have ever enjoyed my training so much or been as fit so maybe there is something to be said for this type of training.

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats June 25, 2013 at 10:22 pm

Love that breakfast idea! It looks phenomenal :)

I like running for distance more than time for sure

Aurora@Fitness is Sweet June 26, 2013 at 12:29 am

I totally understand the running for time issue-I’m way more likely to push myself when running for distance, because with distance, if I go harder, I am rewarded by finishing sooner!

Lindsay June 26, 2013 at 12:54 am

I just started running, and have a hard time with really challenging myself to run FAST. I’ve always enjoyed the distance portion, I can go for a looong time without really feeling winded. But the other night my husband offered to come with me and push for miles, in a matter of time. It was so. much. harder. BUT it taught me a great lesson. I get MORE of a workout if I go for miles in a certain time. So, combining both theories at the moment!

Ai Lin June 26, 2013 at 12:59 am

Running for distance definitely. It gets stressful to constantly run for time. But that is just me and my lazy butt. Thinking of signing up for an obstacle race this autumn, need some motivational mantras before that though :)

Tara | Treble in the Kitchen June 26, 2013 at 5:50 am

So hard to say if I prefer time or distance…maybe both!? Also….banana and blueberry is my favorite fruit combo. The tart blueberries mesh perfectly with the sweet and creamy banana!!! YUM!

Franc June 26, 2013 at 9:13 am

I have always run for distance. But I will say the few times I’ve run without a watch, (usually when the GPS battery is dead) not knowing how far or how fast I am going, has been quite liberating.

Jolie June 26, 2013 at 1:26 pm

I definitely like running distance than timing myself. However I do prefer sprints and tempo runs than any distance though…

Lisa June 26, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Do you have a Costco near you? Organic virgin coconut oil is cheaper than the one you listed on amazon….might be worth checking out

Julie @ RDelicious Kitchen June 26, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Running is so weird for me .. One day I’m all about the time, the next I’m just about distance.. and then somedays I don’t focus on either and just run until I “feel done” haha

Allison June 26, 2013 at 3:11 pm

I do a bit of both. During the week I actually like to run for a designated amount of time to see if I can go fruther than I did before. And then on the weekend I go out for a specific distance to see if I can increase my pace..

Shelly June 26, 2013 at 4:46 pm

I usually run by distance, but I recently started a new training plan that goes by time. I’m finding the switch kind of fun!

Alyssa June 26, 2013 at 6:44 pm

I like to do both to help train different aspects of the run. I like to hills and sprints for time and then longer runs for distance :-) I’m doing my first Foam Fest 5K this weekend and very excited for it!

Kelly@KellyRunsforFood June 26, 2013 at 7:56 pm

I’m not a really fast runner so my instinct is to run for distance. What I’ve found, though, is when I’m not stressing about my pace, I actually run faster. It’s weird how much psychology there is to running!

Lisa C. June 26, 2013 at 9:41 pm

Distance. Of course I like to focus on how fast I run but I always have a distance in mind that I must reach!

Kasey June 27, 2013 at 7:37 pm

I am a CrossFit gal trying to give up the remnants of a traditional gym membership (gotta give up that elliptical), so I’m trying a couch to 5K app. All I’m trying to do at this point is get through a run without quitting and improve my technique.

Peach June 27, 2013 at 9:49 pm

Totally distance! I’m less hard on myself about how speedy (or not) I am. Just knowing how FAR I ran is satisfaction enough for me.

Ryan July 23, 2013 at 5:08 pm

The competitive spirit in me thinks definitely distance. :)