• Party Hacks

June 26, 2013

Hi, friends!

Have you ever heard of a “party hack?” I had never heard the term until the other day when my friends at Smirnoff asked me if I wanted to take over their Instagram account (@Smirnoff_US) on July 5th to live capture party hacks. It sounded cool, but say what? I had no idea what they were talking about, so I asked for clarification. Smirnoff ended up sending me a link with 12 Genius Party Hacks, which were fun to read about and definitely got my creative juices flowing. Here are some of my favorites:

Use Frozen Grapes to Chill Wine

frozen grapes to chill a cocktail
    [image source]

Label Each Cooler Using Empty Boxes

label coolers
    [image source]

Pour The Perfect Drink

pour the perfect drink
    [image source]

Once I had an idea what party hacks were all about, I went to Pinterest (of course) to look for some more ideas. Here are a few more favorites:

Flower Box Turned Cooler

flower box turned cooler
    [image source]

Paper Cup Lanterns

homemade lights
    [image source]

Wheelbarrow Cooler

party idea
    [image source]

And since I’m taking over the Smirnoff Instagram account, I’ve been brainstorming all sorts of fun party hacks to share with their followers on July 5th. If you want to see what I come up with (I have 5-6 really neat ideas in mind!), be sure to follow Smirnoff on Instagram (@Smirnoff_US)!

What’s the coolest “party hack” you’ve ever seen?

This post is sponsored by Smirnoff. The thoughts and opinions expressed are all my own.

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl June 26, 2013 at 1:05 pm

These are some seriously awesome ideas! Now we all just need to have a party :).

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh June 26, 2013 at 1:12 pm

I’m seriously swiping the party cup one for a birthday cookout we’re having for some friends this weekend!

Tina June 26, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Isn’t that a great idea??

Mandy @ The Running Herbivore June 26, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Oh wow, what a cool gig!

Who knew how perfect a Red Solo Cup truly is?!?!

Joseph June 26, 2013 at 1:40 pm

The grapes in the wine is very classy. I think my favorite hack is an old one: using one beer bottle to open another when there’s no opener around.

Emily June 26, 2013 at 1:45 pm

My favorite “party hack” is putting your iPhone in a tall (empty!) glass. It works to magnify the sound for music! We use it all summer long :)

Stacey June 26, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Who knew there was a point to the lines on a solo cup!?

We do the empty boxes on the cooler for parties and while I don’t use the grapes in my wine (will now though) I always have them in my freezer! Yum.

At our wedding a few years ago I printed off our cupcake flavors, beer/liquor choices, etc on scrapbook paper and framed them all. Love framing things at parties. I’m not so sure that’s a ‘new’ idea anymore though? :)

Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate June 26, 2013 at 2:14 pm

I pinned the wheel barrel one too! I thought it would be fun to do for our wedding rehearsal dinner since we want to just have a laid back evening, grilling out with everyone!

Jackie June 26, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Solo cup- mind blown…..

Jenny June 26, 2013 at 2:18 pm

You can paint a trash bin red and the top white so it looks like a giant solo cup!

Danielle @ Food-Dee.com June 26, 2013 at 2:32 pm

I use slate tiles from Lowes to serve cheese on! So much cheaper than the ones you’d pay for at Crate & Barrel, and much more fun! You can also write what type of cheese it is in chalk right on the tile. Not sure if that’s a “hack”, but it’s a good money saver.

Shel@PeachyPalate June 26, 2013 at 2:54 pm

Some cool ideas! Love the flower box cooler! I saw a pic of a friend of a friend going to a formal ball and under her dress she had two bottles of vodka strapped with duct tape!

joelle (on a pink typewriter) June 26, 2013 at 2:55 pm

That’s a pretty neat idea! I’m trying to think of what I’ve seen in the past… love the flower box idea!

Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog June 26, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Until you wrote about party hacks, I must be honest, I had never heard of them!!

They are all genius though. I’ve always used the frozen fruit thing instead of ice cubes because in NYC, it as a rarity to have a fridge that produced ice cubes. Definitely a great idea!

Kristen @ Medium Roast June 26, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Don’t forget the ‘ol earbud in a styrofoam cup as a make-shift speaker! That one used to come in handy in college.

Can’t wait to see what your ideas are! The paper cup lanterns are adorable.

Anne June 26, 2013 at 3:46 pm

I love the iPod (iPhone) in the vase thing. My friends and I did it at her bachelorette party in the hotel room with the iPhone and a small glass cup from the room. Works like a charm! Why waste money on fancy speakers.

Ally June 26, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Wheel barrow, not barrel, right? Haha.

Tina June 26, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Oops! Haha!

Kim June 26, 2013 at 9:26 pm

@Ally: Really? I always thought it was barrel! Lol.

Cortney June 26, 2013 at 4:23 pm

We had a huge party once and used the washing machine filled with ice as a back up cooler! The best part? It is super easy to drain once you are done :-)

sara @ fitcupcaker June 26, 2013 at 4:41 pm

i love the wheelbarrow cooler, so fun!

Amanda June 26, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Turn music on your phone. Put your phone speaker-side-down in an [empty] Solo Cup and BOOM – instant amplifier! Makes your music so much louder.

Just make sure not to try that trick after too many drinks in & plop your phone in a Solo cup filled with beer…

Tina June 26, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Haha! Good tip! :)

Kristi June 26, 2013 at 5:07 pm

I love the paper cup laterns and the frozen grapes for wine. Both I am going to have to try.

Lauren June 26, 2013 at 5:16 pm

My MIL always uses her washing machine as a back up cooler. I had never seen it done before and thought it was awesome!

Tina June 26, 2013 at 5:23 pm

That’s awesome!

Monica June 26, 2013 at 8:14 pm

I had never heard that term before-looking forward to your ideas-these are already good ideas!

Beth Sheridan (sugarcoatedsheridans.com) June 26, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Well I for one, have never heard of a party hack until now…I am officially blown away!!!

Nicole June 26, 2013 at 10:37 pm

Only kind of related but- did you know you can’t buy red Solo cups in other countries and a lot of tourists will buy them while they’re in the US because they see them in movies and they’re viewed as an “American college party” icon? So weird that something we view as so common is desired as unique in other countries!

Lori @ www.ffglobetrotter.com June 26, 2013 at 11:50 pm

I am so using that frozen grapes idea to chill wine! :) Never thought of that.

Katherine June 27, 2013 at 1:09 am

wowza i love the cups light idea!

Pete June 27, 2013 at 3:14 am

I was a party hack virgin until I read this. I have friends coming over this weekend so might have to try one. Cheers.

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats June 27, 2013 at 7:37 am

Love these party hacks!! They are so awesome :)

Megan@eatmybeets June 27, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Frozen grapes remind me if my childhood! I must try this soon

Tasha June 27, 2013 at 6:05 pm

These are awesome! I love the hack where you put all of the condiments for your party in a muffin tin. You can label each one in case it’s not clear. It looks neater than a bunch of bottles on a table.

Lindsay June 28, 2013 at 11:10 am

Here’s one: buy ceramic tiles from Lowes or Home Depot to use as coasters (super cheap) and then use a dry erase marker to write people’s names on their coaster so they can track down their drinks.

Tina June 28, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Great idea!!

J. Ward June 28, 2013 at 8:49 pm

The frozen grapes are also a reminder of my childhood. Also when I read “using one beer bottle to open another when there’s no opener around.” I just laughed as it reminded me of my student days. Great times and great friends.

J