• CNC Meal Plan: Week of June 2

June 3, 2013

Hi, friends! Happy Monday!

I woke up bright and early yesterday morning to get all of my errands and chores done for the week, so I could spend the rest of the day outside enjoying myself. I am so pumped that the warm weather has finally arrived!

summer is the best

One of my errands, of course, included grocery shopping for the upcoming week. Remember how I used to hate grocery shopping? Ok, maybe hate is a strong word, but it definitely wasn’t something I enjoyed doing. Well, yesterday, I actually kind of liked grocery shopping—even with the crazy Sunday crowds! There’s just something about buying healthy, nutritious foods for a delicious meal plan that makes me happy. I actually left the grocery store yesterday morning with a smile on my face. Weird? Probably.

Anyway (sorry about the random tangent), here’s this week’s meal plan (two recipes are from this month’s FITNESS magazine):

What magazines have the best healthy recipes?

Katherine June 3, 2013 at 7:21 am

you are so good about planning out your meals. great job!

mia June 3, 2013 at 7:30 am

I’ve started to loathe grocery shopping….or maybe it is the crowds!!
    May sound strange but I love Men’s Health mag. Both for workouts and recipes! Way better than most girly magazines. :)

Tina June 3, 2013 at 7:37 am

Agree! Men’s Health has some AWESOME recipes!

Kait - @runkaitrun June 3, 2013 at 7:49 am

Tuesday’s dinner sounds delicious :)

Elizabeth @ Positive Changes June 3, 2013 at 7:59 am

I love grocery shopping for that same reason. I love to pick out the healthy food, sort through the delicious produce and then go home and stock my shelves with the healthy items! I really like Men’s Health magazine for their recipes, and Runners World has some pretty good recipes at times!

Caitlyn @ City and the Cubicle June 3, 2013 at 8:03 am

the only way i like grocery shopping is if there are no crowds. it’s so much more calm and peaceful — that’s why i get up at 6 am to get it done, ha.

Sara @ sarasmiles June 3, 2013 at 8:06 am

“Clean Eating” has good recipes. I don’t read it on a regular basis, but if I do, I always end up tearing at least one recipe from it.

Heather @ Run Eat Play June 3, 2013 at 8:10 am

I love my Cooking Light magazine – great recipes!

Jo @ Living Mint Green June 3, 2013 at 8:18 am

I love grocery shopping! I used to hate it too, but I try to plan my trip first thing in the morning so I can avoid the crowds & shop in peace. Costco makes super edgy, angry and anxious though -so.many.people.

I like Chatelaine’s recipes – http://www.chatelaine.com/recipes/

Fiona Jesse Giffords June 3, 2013 at 8:20 am

Probably i will opt for the health magazine. This website features very interesting and healthy recipes which anyone can opt for.

Kim@hungryhealthygirl June 3, 2013 at 8:21 am

I always find great recipes in Health or Self!

mary @ minutes per mile June 3, 2013 at 8:23 am

Cooking light!

Rachel @ Undercover Diva: A Sitcom June 3, 2013 at 8:28 am

I love grocery shopping… maybe that makes me weird. I love reading labels and finding new foods or thinking of new recipes while I’m wandering the aisles. I find some decent recipes in Redbook (I got a subscription with my registration for the Princess Half, I’m not a married woman, which is their demographic) and in Taste of Home.

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More June 3, 2013 at 8:49 am

I’m one of those weird people who LOVE grocery shopping and it’s one of the things I’ve missed about my current living situation. ha!

Ali @ Peaches and Football June 3, 2013 at 8:50 am

I’ve never read Men’s Health but I’ve found some good recipes in Women’s Health before.

I love it when I have a cart full of healthy food and I’m pushing it through the supermarket. Sure, from time to time there are some not-so-healthy items tossed in (hello frozen pizzas!) but it’s better than the 8 year old boy who went through the checkout lane juggling SIX bags of cheetos. Not sure where his folks were – but I hope it was for a party and not a secret stash somewhere!! :)

Emily @ The Swallow Flies June 3, 2013 at 8:51 am

I LOVE Fitness magazine’s recipes. I’ve never had one NOT turn out delicious. When I’m searching for stuff to make, though, I always hit up Cooking Light online — as well as my fave blogs, of course. :)

Cait's Plate June 3, 2013 at 8:55 am

Cooking Light and Real Simple are definitely my favorites I think!

Megan (The Lyons' Share) June 3, 2013 at 9:01 am

I usually like the Cooking Light recipes! I love, love, love grocery shopping- so much so that when I’m traveling for work I’ll always volunteer to buy team snacks so I can check out the grocery stores in a new city (and have a chance to introduce the team to some new healthy finds!)

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat June 3, 2013 at 9:26 am

Sounds like some great meals you’re having this week! I find some really good healthy recipes in Clean Eating Magazine. It’s my favorite!

Mary Slagel June 3, 2013 at 9:28 am

I love grocery shopping. Most people think I’m really odd for that, but I feel the same way you did when you bought healthy food for a healthy meal plan. There is something satisfying about that, especially when you make it out of the store with out buying any processed junk food.

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh June 3, 2013 at 9:44 am

I love grocery shopping. Okay, love might be too strong in the other direction but I don’t mind going. I guess I just walk in thinking of all of the possibilities and walk out excited to execute them. I know…food nerd.

I rarely look to magazines for recipe help but when I do, Cooking Light seems to be the one I turn to most.

Tara June 3, 2013 at 9:46 am

I Love food shopping, so I guess I am weird!
    Granted, I dont have any kids I need to take with me, and I like to get up and get it done by 9am. I just love picking out healthy food, trying new items and knowing that I will stay on track with the food I buy.

Linda @ running4two June 3, 2013 at 9:52 am

I love recipes from Eating Well and Natural Health :).

Erika @ balancedspoon.com June 3, 2013 at 10:15 am

I spy Natures Promise individually wrapped 4oz portion chicken breasts! Those are my favorite!! I’m not a fan of gigantic chicken breasts. That’s just not normal. :)

Sarah @ Sweet Miles June 3, 2013 at 10:18 am

Look at that table full of deliciousness! I’m so impressed! I need to learn to be better about meal planning, and stick with it. I will sometimes pull recipes from Real Simple. They’re usually pretty creative, easy, and for the most part pretty healthy.

Georgia Mae June 3, 2013 at 10:22 am

I cut out the chicken salad recipe from Fitness magazine right when I saw it! My grocery store doesn’t have plums right now but as soon as it does I’m so making that. It looks epic.

meghan @ struggle muffins June 3, 2013 at 10:30 am

I have a not-so-secret love jones for grocery shopping. Especially in the summer when I’m buying more fresh produce – I feel healthier and not because I’m trying to be but because the warmer temps just naturally make me want the healthy stuff :)

Alyssa June 3, 2013 at 10:35 am

I love Clean Eating Magazine :-)

Beth Sheridan June 3, 2013 at 10:57 am

I really like grocery shopping too, but I always have. I don’t know, I think maybe I just love food that much so I like to spend time where it lives :)

Amelia June 3, 2013 at 12:19 pm

I swear by Good Housekeepings recipes! My mom got me a subscription years ago and I love seeing it in my mailbox now. Sometimes Yoga Journal has good ones too!

Sara Flynn June 3, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Ha-ha I hate grocery shopping, but when I go to Trader Joe’s I don’t hate it THAT bad… Although I spoil myself with Trader Joe’s… I went Shaws yesterday because its the closest to my apartment… and that store is the WORST. I could barely buy any of my produce there because of how gross and picked over it was on a Sunday evening. Ill be stopping by whole foods or trader joes on my way home from work today. Stop and Shop is my favorite “regular grocery store” though.

Danica June 3, 2013 at 1:02 pm

I love the magazine “Eating Well” for healthy recipes and an awesome sort of nutritional information.

Lillian @ Seize the Latte June 3, 2013 at 2:50 pm

We’ve started ordering our groceries online and then picking them up at the store, just so we don’t have to brave the crowds/hordes of angry shoppers/general bedlam. I don’t know if grocery shopping is basically a full-contact sport outside of DC, but people are brutal about it here — so we decided that the extra $10/month for online ordering/pick-up was worth it to save ourselves from that experience! :) That said, I also get really happy just buying healthy foods for delicious meals during the week. There’s something intrinsically really satisfying about it!

Aaryn June 3, 2013 at 3:38 pm

I made those curried chicken kebabs with mint couscous last week. They were so good! I always meal plan too. I like Cooking Light and Eating Well for recipes but I get ideas from all kinds of places.

Tina June 3, 2013 at 4:04 pm

Good to hear! I’m looking forward to those! :)

Angie @ Pint of Goals June 3, 2013 at 5:40 pm

They’re not always the healthiest, but I love the easy recipes from Real Simple. Otherwise I’ve had lots of success with the blog Skinnytaste.

Tina June 3, 2013 at 5:55 pm

I love SkinnyTaste! :)

Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen June 3, 2013 at 7:45 pm

I love Cooking Light for good, healthy recipes! Also Fine Cooking has started featuring some healthier recipes lately too.

Sarah @ Licorice & Olives June 3, 2013 at 8:11 pm

I love meal planning, ours has fallen off lately. I really need to get back on track, maybe I should blog our plan to keep us on the straightened arrow!

Nicole June 3, 2013 at 8:27 pm

I love health magazine for recipes, but mostly I search for them online because then I can customize dinner based on ingredients I already have on hand :) altho I do LOVE grocery shopping!!

Deb June 4, 2013 at 12:37 am

It’s so crazy reading all of your ‘summer’ recipes, I swear it feels like just last week reading your posts about being snowed in! Changed quickly eh? We’re just coming in to winter in Australia….sigh, your summer posts will keep me cheery :)

Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner June 4, 2013 at 6:42 am

Mmm…those curried chicken kebabs sound awesome! I like Cooking Light and Eating Well, but I probably cook more from food blogs than I do from magazines. For instance, I’m going to have to try those kebabs!