• Cabo + CrossFit {Destino Retreats & The Trip Tribe}

June 12, 2013

As you know, Mal and I are head over heels in love with CrossFit. In fact, we love it so much, we visit CrossFit boxes and create our own travel WODs even when we’re on vacation.

crossfit_travel_adventures_

So when the folks from The Trip Tribe and Destino Retreats contacted me about attending their “WODS & Paleo Retreat in Cabo,” I didn’t even need to think about my response. (It was YES, obviously!) Destino Retreats was launched last year by Ty Texidor and Tovah Rendlich, and they are excited to grow the CrossFit retreat concept.

DestinoPaddleCabo_054_KatieKaizerPhotography (600x400)

And, of course, I wanted my favorite CrossFit partner (sorry, Kerrie!) to join me on this amazing adventure, so Mal will be coming along too. [Disclaimer: The Trip Tribe is covering the cost of my flight and “WODS & Paleo Retreat,” but, as always, the thoughts and opinions expressed on CNC are all my own. Mal and I will be paying for his flight and trip.]

024

A vacation that involves sun, beach, CrossFit, and Paleo meals? I still can’t wrap my brain around it. When I first saw the itinerary for the trip, I told Mal my head might explode with excitement. Haha! I seriously can’t comprehend the awesomeness of this trip. Ok, let me tell you more about it!

CABO IN A NUTSHELL

August 1-5, 2013 – Cabo, Mexico

Price: $1,500* per person (shared room) includes everything below:

DestinoPaddleCabo_055_KatieKaizerPhotography (600x400)

AGENDA

August 1

3:00pm – Check into Bahia Hotel

4:00pm – Beach WOD

7:00pm – Paleo Welcome Dinner (Included)

August 2

8:30am – Paleo Breakfast (Included)

10:00am – Sports Medicine Seminar at the Beach

11:00pm – CrossFit Los Cabos

1:00pm – Lunch

3:00pm – Lovers Beach WOD

7:00pm – Paleo Dinner & Margarita Night (Included)

August 3

7:30am – Paleo Breakfast (Included)

9:00am – CrossFit Paddle Boarding

12:30pm – CrossFit Los Cabos

3:00pm – Free time/Massages (Not Included)

7:00pm – Paleo Dinner (Included)

August 4

8:30am – Paleo Breakfast (Included)

10:00am – CrossFit Los Cabos Throwdown

2:30pm – Paleo Lunch @ The Resort (Included)

5:00pm – Afternoon Outing

7:00pm – Dinner

August 5

8:30am – Paleo Breakfast (Included)

10:00am – CrossFit Los Cabos

1:00pm – Paleo Lunch (Included)

BeachWorkOutOne_042_KatieKaizerPhotography (600x400)

Amazing, right? I love that there are so many CrossFit WODs and activities planned, but there’s also plenty of free time to just relax and do our own thing.

OMG, I can’t wait! And Mal is just as pumped. This trip falls just a couple of weeks after our 5-year wedding anniversary, so it’s a great way to celebrate. CrossFit + Cabo is the perfect anniversary celebration for us!

*I know a bunch of you guys love CrossFit and, obviously, vacation as much as I do, so I worked out a discount with The Trip Tribe people to get you on board. From today until next Friday (6/21), you can get $100 off the price of the trip + $200 toward a future trip with The Trip Tribe. So the “WODS & Paleo Retreat in Cabo” will cost $1,400 (which includes hotel and food) + your flight, which isn’t too shabby considering everything you get. And, hello, it’s a CROSSFIT vacation in CABO! Awe-some!

Where and what would your dream fitness vacation involve?

Have you ever taken a fitness vacation before?

P.S. Check out The Trip Tribe on Facebook and Twitter as well as Destino Retreats on Facebook and Twitter for updates, photos (here are some from their last CrossFit Cabo retreat), and lots of other great stuff!

Julie @ RDelicious Kitchen June 12, 2013 at 12:55 pm

wow that sound amazing.. I can’t wait til we get to hear your recap about it

Haneul June 12, 2013 at 12:57 pm

This looks like the absolute ideal vacation!!!!!!!!!

Amelia June 12, 2013 at 1:12 pm

Really?? Okay, this seriously means I need to become a successful blogger very soon. I mean, being a librarian is good and all and where I work has its perks (and I’ve told you about some of my perks) but Cabo? And many of your other “work” trips makes your job oh-so-attractive on so many levels. You work super hard at it and you’re doing something you love too. How many other bloggers get these type of offers? And, come on there’s got to be a way for non-bloggers to get in on it too. Please, please say there is! :)

Meghan@themeghamix June 12, 2013 at 1:28 pm

AAHH How cool!

Brittany June 12, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Wait a minute… not everyone works out on vacation?? :) I think this is a fabulous idea, you and Mal are going to have such a great time. I really wish my husband had a work from home job so we could save up money, go on a trip, save up more money, go on another trip and so on and so forth. Still holding out hope for that one!

Jodea @ chillichocolatelove.com June 12, 2013 at 1:53 pm

I already had my dream fitness vacation – trekking to Macchu Picchu. I’d do it again tomorrow!

Kristi June 12, 2013 at 2:10 pm

That trip looks amazing! You’re going to have a great time.

Cait's Plate June 12, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Oh my gosh how fun!

I’ve never taken a specific fitness vacation before – but I also find some way to work fitness in no matter where I go (paddleboarding, kayaking, hiking, etc.). I think the best vacations for me are those that are active and outdoors.

I’d LOVE to do a yoga retreat one day…but I don’t know if I could hack it!

Leah June 12, 2013 at 3:24 pm

A Jillian Michaels’ cruise! It was amazing.

Christine @ www.idratherbesweating.com June 12, 2013 at 3:51 pm

I’m sooooooo jealous! That looks like an awesome trip! Cannot wait to hear all about it. I have never been on a fitness vacation but when I travel I make sure to workout every day to see the local sites!

Lauren June 12, 2013 at 3:52 pm

That does sound like your perfect vacation! For me, the perfect fitness getaway would be a bike tour in Europe, with a bike trip through Napa or Sonoma as a runner-up. The level of trip I want to do is out of my price range for now, but I can dream!

Lindsay June 12, 2013 at 4:16 pm

We haven’t taken a fitness centered vacay yet, but each vacation we keep packed with adventures of our own. From a young child to adult, I studied every summer at dance intensives, and I LOVED that. I think now I would like a vacation that included hiking, kayaking and yoga.

We’ve currently been relocated to Hawaii tho (Oahu) so right now we are soaking in every outdoor activity the island can offer, trying to make each weekend a mini holiday!

Agnes June 12, 2013 at 4:26 pm

That would be an awesome vacation! I gotta do that sometime. Whenever I think of vacation, all that comes to mind is gaining weight, haha!!

lori June 12, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Sounds like an AMAZING trip! I have WOD’ed at Crossfit Los Cabos a couple of times (we go to Cabo every winter) and it’s a great box, loved the trainers. Have a blast!

F.A.Ellis June 12, 2013 at 7:18 pm

The place you mention seems like good place,and I don’t blame you for bringing your man with you.

Alyssa @ Road to RD June 12, 2013 at 7:27 pm

That’s so exciting! I can’t wait to hear all about it :)

She Rocks Fitness June 12, 2013 at 8:12 pm

This is so AWESOME and congrats on getting this opportunity! My ideal fitness vacation is yoga and surfing and REALLY hoping I get to do this soon. I’ve heard there are amazing ones in Costa Rica and Hawaii. Since I’m moving to Texas, at least the flight won’t be as long. LOL!

Anel Perez June 12, 2013 at 8:55 pm

awesome! Looks like an ideal vacation; sun, water, sand, and fitness!!

Luv What You Do June 12, 2013 at 9:46 pm

I think a beach related yoga retreat would be exactly what I need! One day I hope that I can afford it. I’d def take my mom!

Elisabeth June 12, 2013 at 10:20 pm

I’ve never gone on a fitness vacation before, but I’d love to go on a climbing vacation – like Mount Kilimanjaro, etc.

Melody June 13, 2013 at 1:39 am

Oh. My. Word. Jealous!!!

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats June 13, 2013 at 3:42 am

Sounds like an amazing fitness trip! I can’t say I’ve ever taken one but there are health resorts/spas in Thailand that I know are good for yoga/relaxation experiences and I’d love to do one of those.

Annie @ my fuel and fitness diaries June 13, 2013 at 8:04 am

I have never taken a fitness vacation before. My ideal would involve running in the morning, and yoga or weights in the afternoon…with some hiking thrown in for cross training! HAVE FUN!!!

Jennifer Fotheringham June 13, 2013 at 9:10 am

That sounds amazing! I would love to do something like that but I think adding on a flight from Scotland would make it seriously expensive!

My ideal fitness vacation would involve sun and sea, my husband, lots to see and do (fitness and sightseeing in one- I.e. hiking etc) and lots of places to eat fresh, healthy food! (After your posts on Hawaii I think that really is the place for David and I!).

J x

Mary Slagel June 13, 2013 at 9:55 am

Cabo+margarita night? As much as the crossfit and paleo sounds awesome, I think I would be sold just on that.

Alyssa June 13, 2013 at 11:01 am

That sounds like a blast! Enjoy yourselves!

Annie Atherton June 13, 2013 at 12:13 pm

This trip looks SO FUN!!! I am kind of jealous :)

Daniel Orozco June 13, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Hi there, This is an awesome trip you guys have organized. I was wondering if you have already though about TEAM t-shirts? The reason I ask is because my wife and I live here in Cabo and we own a screen printing business, if you want to avoid lugging cases of shirts down to Cabo San Lucas I can screen print them for you here and have them ready when you arrive. I am good friends with Vanessa and Fernando (the owners of Crossfit Los Cabos) and we are actually working on some new designs for their gym shirt inventory at the moment. If you would like us to quote you something just e-mail us at adelphoiapparel@yahoo.com or find us on facebook “Adelphoi apparel”.

And for the athletes who are wondering about the Hotel Bahia (cuz that’s where you will be staying), it is a right in the heart of Cabo at the only swim-able beach here in town. Its is a nice Hotel and walking distance from downtown Cabo, clubs, shopping, marina, and tacos.

cheers,

Danny and Ashley Orozco
    ADELPHOI apparel and screen printing

kerrie June 13, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Haha! I wanna come! 1400, sweet deal!

Tina June 13, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Commmmmeeeee!

Ty June 13, 2013 at 7:39 pm

We’d love to see you there. Hope you can make it.

Peach June 13, 2013 at 7:39 pm

I say this in all seriousness, because I believe in honesty between friends.

There is nothing. Nothing. good about water burpees.

Tina June 13, 2013 at 8:06 pm

Haha!

Liana@RunToMunch June 14, 2013 at 2:25 pm

the most fun is the Malden 10K! All my friends and family does it! Nothing makes a better road race than your friends and family.

AJ June 15, 2013 at 12:12 pm

This sounds totally amazing! I don’t do Crossfit, so I would probably be lost on most of the workouts. I wish there was a vacation similar to this that wasn’t Crossfit based.

-AJ
    FitTravelerAJ.com

amanda jewell June 16, 2013 at 3:34 pm

This is too ironic.

I JUST came back from Cabo and stayed @ Bahia! So here’s my recommendations:
    1.) they have a coffee bar that has yummy smoothies, fresh juices, and ALMOND MILK! It made me dairy-free day.
    2.) Set up fun events with the concierge. They’ll help you make the most out of your free time!
    3.) Along the same lines, we did CaboSUP (definitely do the sunrise one b/c you want the water to be still & calm and all the boats are on the water by 9am), desert & beach ATV (so much fun!), and kayaked (via CaboSUP) to Land’s End and snorkeled around Pelican beach.
    4.) DEFINITELY go to the One and Only Palmilla (We rented a car for super cheap and drove around). Save time to explore the Resort because it’s incredible. Great place for dinner & check out either of their 2 bars for beautiful views.
    5.) The beach by Bahia is… meh. But, Chileno Beach is really nice. Go there.
    6.) Los Tres Gallos for GENUINE authentic mexican. The only chefs are 2 old ladies making everything BY HAND (including the corn tortillas which are to die for).
    7.) Bahia also has a partnership with the hotel across the street so you can use their gym which was much appreciated when the weather was BLAZING hot.
    8.) Be prepared to be annoyed with wi-fi @ Bahia bc you have to log-in every time you use it and it randomly kicks you off.
    9.) Remember, don’t drink the water :-)
    10.) BEST RECOMMENDATION EVER: YOU MUST GO TO FLORA FARMS. Drive to it (it’s not too far, ~40min from hotel). It’s a completely self-sustaining organic farm. Pasture raised animals, TO DIE FOR freshly baked artisan bread, amazing drinks (margarita with fresh, organic heirloom carrot juice), the best roasted chicken ever, incredibly fresh salads, etc.. Book a reservation at the restaurant, make a reservation to get a tour of the farm, and save time to enjoy the live spanish music, dimly lit ambience, and decadent menu. This was by far, the highlight of my trip and I’m SO happy I got to experience it. It was a green oasis in the midst of a desert; so beautiful!

Tina June 16, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Oh my gosh, THANK YOU so much for this info! I can’t believe you recently stayed at the same hotel. I’m glad you had such a great time there!

amanda jewell June 18, 2013 at 3:31 pm

@Tina: You’re welcome! Let us know how it goes! I hope you have time for Flora Farms b/c you will not regret it! Have a carrot juice margarita for me :-)