• All-Day CrossFit

June 16, 2013

Hi, friends! Happy Sunday!

I love that my only plans for today involved CrossFit. This morning started with some competition prep at Open Gym and then I ended my afternoon by cheering on the lady beasts of CrossFit 781 at the Garage Games. All-day CrossFit!

Workout

After breakfast, I headed to CrossFit to practice a couple of the workouts for next week’s competition with my teammates. The first WOD (rowing + Burpees) went great, and I think we have a good chance of doing really well on it. The second workout we did, however, was a different story. The weight is heavy for both guys (#115) and gals (#75), and there’s a ton of volume: 150 Double Unders + 150 Hang Power Snatches + 150 Pull-ups + 150 Thrusters—broken up however we want between the three of us, but it’s still a tough workout. Even still, I’m glad we had a chance to practice because it definitely gave me some confidence for next weekend. Before today, I don’t think I had ever done a Hang Power Snatch at 75 pounds, so I’m happy to know that I can actually do it!

CrossFit 781

For this morning’s CrossFit session, I wore my new (purple) Nanos from my friends at Reebok. When they came in the mail last week, I literally said out loud: “Oh, no, they didn’t” because I was so, so, so excited and couldn’t believe what I was seeing inside the box.

I absolutely love the Reebok Nanos for CrossFit. I rave about them all the time to random people in person as well as on CNC as seen here, here, and here. They’re just an all-around awesome shoe. They’re lightweight and flexible, but stable at the same time (the sole is flat and firm), so they’re great for everything from box jumps to Olympics lifts. Oh, and they come in TONS of fun colors! I <3 them.

Lunch

After Open Gym, I came home, quickly showered, and threw together the fastest lunch ever, which was made with leftovers from the fridge: ground turkey + carrots and onions. It was super random, but I was starving!

Mal also took his lunch to go: peanut butter sandwich and a banana. We chomped away while we drove.

A short while later, we arrived at CrossFit Homebase for the Garage Games.

We arrived just in time for the final women’s Rx workout, and we had lots of lady beasts from our box competing, so it was really exciting!

(Did you notice the “Morning WOD, Always Hard!!” t-shirt? Haha!)

We also had quite the cheering section from CrossFit 781.

Everyone was going crazy yelling, screaming, and encouraging our athletes. It was awesome!

photo (600x450)

The lady beasts who competed today!

The whole Crossfit 781 family!

M & T!

Snack

Between workouts, I snacked on a delicious Paleo chocolate chunk cookie made by Linda’s Cookies. Yum!

Dinner

After the Garage Games, I came home and immediately wanted dinner. I guess watching people exercise worked up an appetite? Haha! I made some homemade soup with cauliflower, leeks, ginger, garlic, chicken stock, sea salt, and pepper. It turned out so well (I actually told Mal I’d pay money for this soup), but, sadly, I didn’t write down a recipe for it. I just winged it and added ingredients based on taste. Ugh, such a rookie move. Anyway, I loved it so much, I ended up eating three bowls of it for dinner.

I finished off my evening with some melted vanilla cake batter coconut butter. Mmmmm!

nikki's coconut butter

What’s your favorite brand/kind of sneakers?

P.S. A reader sent me this article the other day, and I thought it was really interesting. Just wanted to share: The Power of the Placebo: How Your Mind Can Treat—and Prevent—Disease.

Steph June 16, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Love those Nanos! Love the color! I am 100% Asics. They just work for me. I’ve tried all sorts of brands but always go back to those. :)

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl June 16, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Those shoes are absolutely awesome. I am LOVING the color!!

Taylor @ Liftingrevolution June 16, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Sounds like a great day! Those ladies are beasts and next week you’ll be one too! I am in love with my new Nike Free Bionics. I was nervous about them at first because I haven’t had such a minimal shoe but they rock!

Lauren June 16, 2013 at 9:30 pm

Ill have to check those shoes out. I need some soooooo badly…I’m wearing a hole in the bottom from all the waking/running I’ve been doing! I don’t have a favorite yet, so I’m a little lost!

Jaime June 16, 2013 at 9:40 pm

I’m a bit like Lauren. I run/walk for workouts and sometimes work in things like Insanity and yoga. I can’t decide what shoe to invest in, since I can really only afford one good pair right now. Sadly, I’ve yet to find a shoe store that has a decently knowledgeable staff.

Mary June 16, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Nike air, period!

Becky @ Olives n Wine June 16, 2013 at 9:45 pm

I love your new nanos!! Reebok is my favorite brand of shoes for CrossFit but I really like Asics for running. Glad to hear you had a wonderful Sunday :)

Luv What You Do June 16, 2013 at 9:51 pm

Brooks new Pure Flow shoes are the best for running! I’m slightly obsessed with them!

Angela June 16, 2013 at 9:55 pm

I love those Nanos!! Doesn’t hurt that they’re cute too. :)

jack June 16, 2013 at 10:03 pm

You guys look strong, fit and healthy. I have been wearing Asics forever, maybe it’s time for a change.

Whitney June 16, 2013 at 10:04 pm

Waaaah!!! I just got a pair of nanos in the teal (which I love) and now I see you have them in purple (no 1 fav color!!!) and they have a maroon/gold nano (the colors of my undergraduate alma mater!). Unfair!
    Seriously, love the purple color! I don’t want my nanos to wear out anytime soon, but maybe a gift to myself after the next big competition…. :)

liz @ www.sweat-happy.com June 16, 2013 at 10:50 pm

Such a small world- the crossfit gym I work at (and work out at), CrossFit ATR, is the one where the “morning WOD always hard” tshirt is from! The owner designed it and we all had a laugh about it when we first saw it. It’s amazing to see it on your blog since I’m in san diego and you’re in MA!

Tina June 16, 2013 at 10:51 pm

That’s awesome!

michelle kim June 16, 2013 at 11:54 pm

Since I’m a runner, I’ve been loving Brooks and Mizunos!
    There are some great pictures (love the one with everyone cheering and screaming, haha)!

Shel@PeachyPalate June 17, 2013 at 4:43 am

LOVE the nanos! Just got a custom designed pair…bright pink, purple and lime green! :)

mary @ minutes per mile June 17, 2013 at 5:33 am

I LOVE my Brooks PureConnects. I’m on my third pair of them. Best running shoes I’ve ever had!

Nicole @ FruitnFitness June 17, 2013 at 7:01 am

I have a pair of Brooks that I really like for running and thus far they have also worked well for cross fit. It looks like a fun day watching the athletes and spending time with your cross fit family. Next time you make that soup you will have to write down the recipe for us :)

Tina June 17, 2013 at 7:26 am

Definitely! I’m tempted to make it again for just that reason! :)

Christine@ Apple of My Eye June 17, 2013 at 7:07 am

Those shoes are so awesome! I love ones with BRIGHT colors! I just got some new 2013 Nike Frees in Tiffany Blue and almost can’t bear to wear them because they’ll get dirty. Ridiculous, I know!

Crossfit looks like it was awesome! It’s on my bucket list of things to try.

cori June 17, 2013 at 7:43 am

Man, the amount of free shoes you get makes me so jealous! I can hardly afford to keep up with my sneakers so they don’t break my feet from being worn out. Haha. I still have a hard time finding perfect shoes. I run a lot but my feet are super bony with high arches…it’s rough!

Angela June 17, 2013 at 10:58 am

@cori: Have you tried Mizuno wave riders? They work well for my high arches and bony feet.

Danielle June 17, 2013 at 7:58 am

Looks like so much fun! Nothing better than Crossfit all day! Love the purple nanos too. Those are my absolute favorite for crossfit. I couldn’t imagine wearing anything different now!

Chrissy June 17, 2013 at 8:11 am

I just got some Reebok cross-trainers for CrossFit. They are not Nanos (the outlet store didn’t have them) but they are working out quite well for me anyway!

Annie June 17, 2013 at 8:15 am

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Asics Kayanos. I have three pairs under my coffee table (where I keep my running sneakers in my tiny apartment) in addition to the 5+ pairs I’ve gone through before that.

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat June 17, 2013 at 8:32 am

Awesome Nanos! I like Ryka sneakers. I find them to be super comfortable and don’t hurt my feet at all.

Sounds like an awesome day of cross fit!

Lauren June 17, 2013 at 9:09 am

Tina,

Are those the 2.0 or the new 3.0?

Tina June 17, 2013 at 10:18 am

They’re the 2.0s! I don’t think the 3.0s are out yet, but I’ve heard great things about them!

Elizabeth @ Positive Changes June 17, 2013 at 9:15 am

Love your shoes! Sounds like you had a fun day of Crossfit! I am in love with Mizuno and Brooks!

Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner June 17, 2013 at 9:19 am

I have a really good potato leek soup recipe that sounds similar; I bet I could replace the potatoes with cauliflower (like in faux mashed potatoes), and it would turn out great. That soup sounds tasty!

I have not yet found my perfect pair of running shoes, but I’m on a mission.

Annie @ my fuel and fitness diaries June 17, 2013 at 10:13 am

I love running in Mizunos and cross training in Nikes!

meredith June 17, 2013 at 10:23 am

I used to love Saucony the decided that I swear by Asics but have been bouncing around between Asics, Saucony, Brooks and now back (I think) to Asics lol.

Mary Slagel June 17, 2013 at 10:41 am

Love the color of the new shoes. It is funny how much of a difference a good pair of shoes can make, especially when they are fun.

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance June 17, 2013 at 11:52 am

I used to always wear Nike shoes but now I’ve got Reeboks which I’m liking.

Stacey June 17, 2013 at 12:40 pm

I’m a New Balance girl! They really help prevent shin splints for step aerobics and for me are an all around versatile show for outside bootcamps, HIIT, step, elliptical, stair climber, etc.

Megan June 17, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Hey Tina! Do you find that the Nanos run true to size? I’ve wanted them for a while now but I’m hesitant to order them online and I can’t find them in ANY stores to try on! Thanks for the help :)

Tina June 17, 2013 at 1:57 pm

Yep! I almost always wear a 7 (flip flops, boots, etc.), and I’m a 7 in the Nanos.

Peach June 18, 2013 at 11:24 am

@Tina: I was wondering about sizing too, thanks! Megan, if there are Dick’s Sporting Goods around you, they carry them in-store.

Liz June 17, 2013 at 2:43 pm

Where are the awesome orange shorts from?

And are there any resources showing standard progression/what skills to work on mastering at Crossfit? I’ve been a member for 2 months and some things (heavy Olympic lifting, hand stand push-ups, rope climbs) are super easy for me and others (double Unders, muscle ups, kipping pull-ups) are really hard. Would be awesome to know/see how others have progressed!

Tina June 17, 2013 at 2:53 pm

They’re from J.Crew! :)

I believe CrossFit.com has videos with all of the progressions of the common moves, which I think you’ll find helpful!

KerriAnn June 18, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Hahaha! I can see myself in one of your photos!

Annie Atherton June 24, 2013 at 12:02 pm

I just got a pair of Nano 2.0s last week! But I found a way to save a little money. I ordered YOUTH size!!! I usually am a 7.5 in womens shoes. A girl at my box had a pair of 6.5 youth and they were too big for me. So I ordered size 6 and they fit perfect. Just a tip for anyone who has been longing for a pair of Nanos but can’t afford them. The youth ones are less expensive if you can fit in them :)

Lawrence July 2, 2013 at 9:06 am

Wow, it looked like so much fun! The beauty of crossfit is definitely the support – cheering, screaming, motivating…keep rockin! ;)

Erin Kreitz Shirey October 17, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Love the Reebok Nano’s too. Wear mine all the time and they brighten up my box jumps. Sounds like a fun CFGames – camaraderie is always inspiring. Cheers!