• Time or Money?

May 31, 2013

Heyyyyyy!

It’s a hot one out there today! So hot, in fact, that Murphy and I needed to take a ride in the car to Marylou’s for an iced coffee (for me) and a Milk Bone (for him). The pug got so excited at the drive-up window this morning, I could barely order my drink over his barking! Haha!

Tina and Murphy ride in the car

Breakfast

I woke up bright and early this morning to finish a few last-minute items before heading to the airport to catch my flight to Annapolis.

For breakfast, I ate a Van’s gluten-free waffle with Teddie peanut butter and banana slices on top. I had a lot of banana leftover, so I made it into a peanut butter sandwich. I also whipped up some green juice for Mal and me.

Mal ate the exact same breakfast as me (well, he ate three waffles with peanut butter instead of one), so Murphy waited patiently while we ate (we call this “food potential”) so he could lick our plates.

Murphy_pug

After breakfast, I took a quick trip to Marylou’s (with the pug) for an iced coffee, packed up my things, and then said goodbye to Murphy. (Please note his foot in the couch. Such a weirdo.)

A short while later, my car to the airport arrived at my house.

Back in the day, I used to walk to the commuter rail, ride it into the city, and then hop on the T to the airport. From door-to-door, the whole process took me about 1.5 hours (or more), so I recently started taking a car to the airport to make life easier. Of course, it’s more expensive, but I cut about an hour off of my commute. And, hey, it’s fun to travel in style!

At the airport, I whizzed through security. Flip flops > sneakers when going through airport security.

Lunch

I was pretty hungry when I arrived at the airport, so I grabbed lunch from Burrito Elito.

I ordered a blackened chicken taco and paired it with some mashed sweet potatoes with dried cranberries, walnuts, cinnamon, curry, and sea salt that I brought from home.

See you in Annapolis!!

What’s typically more important to you: time or money?

Jessica May 31, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Your lunch looks delicious!
    Can I ask about how much a ride costs? I would feel like a celebrity doing that :)
    Time is for sure more important to me.

Tina May 31, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Do you live on the South Shore?

Jessica May 31, 2013 at 4:26 pm

@Tina: LOL. I live in Iowa :)

jen May 31, 2013 at 4:39 pm

i’m in Belmont and it takes me 1.5 hours to take the bus, red line, silver line… i’d be curious about the town car, too! when i taxi it it’s around $50 with tolls and tip.

Karen May 31, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Money usually, but if I could pay for more time in a day, I probably would!!!!! So maybe time. I guess it depends.

Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog May 31, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Sadly I feel like you can never put a price on time! It’s invaluable :-) Or a price on marylous coffee!! (saw it in the pics above – we need one in ny!)

Kelsey May 31, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Time is so important to me! Working 60+ hours (outside the home) for years made me realize how special family time and taking yourself as a top priority is! Good for you! That’s an extra hour for Mal and the pups! PS I changed jobs!

Angela May 31, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Time! If you have money but no time to have fun with it…it’s not worth it.. :)

Beth Sheridan May 31, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Oh time!! There is absolutely nothing that is worth more to me…Whether it be time to myself, time with family, or whatever…You can’t put a price on that.

michelle kim May 31, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Time is definitely more important to me!
    Flip flops are definitely a time-saver going through security at the airport! So lucky you get to travel often :)

coffeediva May 31, 2013 at 2:39 pm

I love your breakfast idea of gluten-free waffles, peanut butter and bananas! It sounds so good. And Murphy is just adorable! Have a great trip :-)

Chelsea May 31, 2013 at 2:43 pm

I just can’t ever say its about the money or that money is more important. Time is potential, and potential is one off the most valuable things there is :)

Lauren May 31, 2013 at 2:44 pm

Time without a doubt! We used to do the terrible trek to the airport too, but have since set up a pretty great “you drive me, I’ll drive you” relationship with some friends. Whew. :)

Jessica R @ fromthekitchentotheroad May 31, 2013 at 2:55 pm

I like your banana peanut butter sandwich! :)

Shel@PeachyPalate May 31, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Time but sometimes money has to come first… when getting to the airport always time! Have a safe trip!

Alicia May 31, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Gotta love that Murphy! I love reading your blog during the day and then showing the crazy Murphy photos to my man friend when I get home. Safe travels!

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl May 31, 2013 at 3:37 pm

If I can afford it, time is definitely more important to me! Have fun!

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries May 31, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Time vs. money totally depends on the situation! Some things I think are worth the splurge to save the time, while I think other things are foolish to pay extra money just to save a little time.

Becky @ Olives n Wine May 31, 2013 at 3:49 pm

TIME! I used to work in a job that required me to be in the office around 60 hours per week. I was miserable and realized that the money wasn’t worth it. I now work a typical 40-hour job and am much, much happier!

Vicky May 31, 2013 at 4:21 pm

There’s always more money, there is never more time.

Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner May 31, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Definitely time. But sometimes I am willing to make sacrifices on time so I can have a BETTER time at ANOTHER time. Case in point: buying red-eye tickets to Alaska so that I can go on a wilderness cruise, kayaking, and on a glacier hike while I’m there. Waiting at the airport will not be fun, but it’s worth it to do more fun things later!

Annette@FitnessPerks May 31, 2013 at 5:28 pm

It depends on what the money is being spent on! Time is precious though, and you can always get more money ;)

Alyssa May 31, 2013 at 5:47 pm

It definitely is hot! I had my college graduation today & let’s just say, I’m burnt lol

Have fun in Annapolis! :)

Rachel @ Undercover Diva: A Sitcom May 31, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Time! Definitely. Life is so short and it’s so important to spend your time doing things that you love and spending your time wisely is incredibly important. Good luck at your race!

Steph May 31, 2013 at 6:54 pm

I’m in the process of remodeling my bathroom and so I was going to tile it myself….but I gave up on that pretty quick and let my construction guy do it. Haha. Yes it’s more money, but it’s less of a headache for me and gives me MUCH more free time :-)
    Otherwise, I am usually pretty frugal and try to make the more lengthy process as fun as possible or turn it into an adventure with someone.

Monica May 31, 2013 at 7:02 pm

My time is definitely more important than money. If I can afford it and it saves time I’ll spend the $. You know you have me so addicted to nut butter on a banana (I add raisins too)-such a delicious satisfying breakfast or snack!

Nicole @ FruitnFitness May 31, 2013 at 8:25 pm

With my grad school position money is currently more than time. I’m on a very tight grad student budget and try not to spend excess money for convenience.

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More May 31, 2013 at 8:33 pm

Sometimes money wins out and sometimes time wins out, but when it comes to getting to the airport, I’d rather go with the shorter commute because I’m always anxious enough about getting their on time, I’d rather not have to worry about all those other logistics!

Eryn @ Blond Minded Brunette May 31, 2013 at 10:31 pm

They are both so important! I think money is worth saving whenever possible, so unless it’s something big, I’ll spend a little more time to save a bit of money. :)

Scottie June 1, 2013 at 12:52 am

Time! I can make more money but time is irreplaceable. Btw, glad to know I’m not the only one who brings healthy food from home when traveling.

Lori @ www.ffglobetrotter.com June 1, 2013 at 1:37 am

Time! Not enough of it in the day.

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats June 1, 2013 at 2:29 am

It depends but I would say time is definitely more important than money.

Murphy is always too cute!

Genius idea on wearing flip flops to the airport although in Australia we call them thongs but I know you use that term for somethings else :)

Chrissy June 1, 2013 at 8:08 am

Time time time. No question. Money is just money- you can’t take it with you, as they say. More important to ENJOY life!

Nicole June 1, 2013 at 9:17 am

We had a similar conversation last night about air travel and flying into a more convenient city that will a. take less time/save about 1/2 day of travel and b. get us to the beach by about 1pm on our travel day. Uh…no brainer! Worth the bit of extra $.

Chris June 1, 2013 at 11:20 am

Money can be made back. Time is irreplaceable. This is a lesson that finally sunk in over recent years. Our destination is important, but not if we can’t enjoy the ride. And I’ll pay for that any day of the week!

Victoria @ Reluctantly Skinny June 1, 2013 at 11:26 am

some things are always worth the extra money – like taking a cab in nyc instead of a subway!

Kristi June 1, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Money is much more important to me then time. I would do a little extra if it saves me a little bit of money. Got to stay on budget!

Alyssa June 1, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Have a good trip!

Sarah @makingitmyhome.blogspot.com June 2, 2013 at 7:57 am

My friend and i were having a discussion the other day about our jobs.
    She basically phrased it as this: “What are you willing to sell your time for?”
    I love what I do despite the fact that I could be getting paid a significant amount more if I decided to do the same job (speech therapy) at a hospital or nursing home instead of a public school. I recently quit a second job that paid well but I hated coming home so late. I’d rather be on a tighter budget but actually be able to enjoy being at my home!

Mary Slagel June 3, 2013 at 9:40 am

I would definitely say time. There aren’t enough hours in the day as it is, let alone losing any more hours to commuting would drive me nuts. I would opt for the car too. I rather pay more for convenience then go through hell and waste time.

Angela @ The Chicken Scoop June 3, 2013 at 11:45 am

This fall, I start a new grad school program. It is 1.25 hours by train, $180 a month for an unlimited pass. If I drove, it would take me about 40 minutes by car (depending on traffic) but cost me $30+ per trip. I’ll save the money and just bring a book or my tablet on the train!
    ~Ang