• How I Deal With “Fat Days”

May 30, 2013

Good morning! This short week is sure flying by, huh? I can’t believe today is Thursday, and I’m off to Annapolis tomorrow morning for the ZOOMA race!

Breakfast

I started this morning with a breakfast blast from the past: Two-Ingredient Pancake. I haven’t had one of these babies in ages. I added chia seeds to the mix and topped it with peanut butter. It was as delicious as I remembered it!

Health News & Views

Making your own pizza at home is a great way to slash calories and fat as well as add some serious flavor and nutrients by selecting your own fresh toppings. Even still, a homemade pizza can still wreck your diet if you’re not careful. Here are some easy ways to slim down your slice!

How to Slim Down Your Homemade Pizza

Pizza2

Three Questions Thursday

Here’s the next edition of Three Questions Thursday!

Can you point me to any posts where you talk about how you quit/handled your addiction to sweets? You’ve written about that before, right? My job, while great, stresses me out sometimes. Stress leads me to food, preferably sweets stuff. Never before have I struggled with such pangs for sugar. Anything you can share would be helpful!

Oh, I hear ya! When I get stressed, I typically go right for the sweets. Here’s the post that I wrote about how I beat my sugar addiction. I hope it helps!

How did you and Mal meet?

Mal and I met in high school. Here’s the story along with some old school photos of us! Haha!

I love your blog and am a daily reader. You always look so fit and trim. I was wondering: Do you ever have “fat days”? Days when you feel gross, bloated and down on yourself? If so, how do you deal with them?

Like a lot of women, I definitely experience “fat days” from time-to-time, but, in recent years, I have to admit, I have a lot less of them. Of course, if I go out, eat a plate of nachos by myself for dinner, and split 3 bottles of wine with two girlfriends, which happened a few weeks ago, I don’t wake up the next morning feeling all that great about myself. But, in general, I have fewer days when I feel blah about my body. Maybe it’s because I’m older, and I’m a lot more comfortable in my skin? I also think it has a lot to do with changing my thinking. Let me explain…

CrossFit has absolutely, 100% changed my thinking about “fat days.” Ok, I bet you want to punch me in the face right now with all of this CrossFit talk, but, I swear, it has done incredible things for my body image. I used to be all about counting calories and weighing myself (even when I first started CNC), so I focused a lot of my attention on my weight. If the scale was up a couple of pounds or I went over my calorie budget for the day, I’d feel bad about myself and inevitably have a “fat day.” With CrossFit, my food is now seen as fuel and the weight that really matters is how much I have on my bar. I honestly don’t care about calories or what the scale says. I don’t even look at calorie counts on packages anymore (my eyes go right for the ingredient list) and only weigh myself at the doctor’s office, so, basically, my focus is elsewhere. Now I’m all about getting faster, fitter, and stronger, so “fat days” just don’t fit in there. Plus, as cheesy as it might sound, I’m really proud of what my body can do at CrossFit, so I rarely ever feel gross because of it. (Even though I love CrossFit to death, I don’t think it’s right for everyone. I think a lot of people can get these same thoughts and feelings from other activities. You just need to find a workout that makes you feel great about your body!)

Additionally, my autoimmune disease has really changed how I think about my body and what I put into it. As you know, certain foods have more nutrients than others and other foods cause inflammation in the system, so everything I eat is a conscious decision. Obviously, I don’t eat perfectly all of the time (I ate Funfetti frosting straight from the jar all weekend), but, when I splurge, it’s usually a well thought-out decision and based on how I feel and current symptoms. Basically, making conscious decisions about what I put into my body makes it easier for me to brush off those “fat days,” especially when I know I am taking good care of myself, which includes some fun splurges on occasion. I just don’t allow myself to get too off track because, when that happens, I will ended up having a “fat day,” which is no fun.

Besides taking care of my body the best I can, here are some other ways I deal with “fat days.” I hope they help you too!

How do you deal with “fat days?”

Will you be at ZOOMA this weekend?

Ashley May 30, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Ugh I hate fat days but as much as they stink and as weird as this will sound, sometimes I’m glad I felt that way for a day because it forces me to take a step back and think about what I’m putting into my body that made me feel that way and it makes me want to avoid those things.

Grace @ Grace Dishes May 30, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Love your take on how to deal with “fat days”. I swear everyone gets them now and then. Some people get it more often than others.

I think I try to take extra care of myself that day in terms of hair, make-up and outfit. When I take the time to look better, I feel more confident about it. NO SWeATS

Alyssa @ Road to RD May 30, 2013 at 1:49 pm

I hate to admit it, but when I have fat days I end up turning them into “fatter” days. Kind of like dropping a cell phone on the ground. Instead of picking it up and dusting it off, I just stomp on it until it breaks. I need to work on that.

Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner May 30, 2013 at 5:09 pm

@Alyssa @ Road to RD: @Alyssa @ Road to RD: Ha! I definitely do that about half the time, too.

Kristi May 30, 2013 at 1:59 pm

I’m still on the weight loss journey, but instead of focusing on the scale I focus on how I feel and how my clothes fit. I only weigh myself when I go to the dr which takes a lot of stress off of losing weight. I have come to realize that if it takes me longer to lose weight, that’s ok, but I still want to enjoy life while I’m losing weight.

Amelia May 30, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Yes! Great post! I gave up counting calories a few months ago. It stressed me out and since I can get a little obsessive, it was only hurting me. Working out, making time for yoga/quiet thoughts (not quite meditation) and eating mindfully are all things that help me stay on track and avoid fat days.

Have fun and good luck in Annapolis! Have you been before? It’s a beautiful little city. I’m not running in Zooma this time. Are you here long enough for a blogger/reader meet up?

Allison @ Life's a Bowl May 30, 2013 at 2:42 pm

This is a GREAT post – especially the tidbit about how food is fuel, how it can impact inflammation in terms of autoimmune diseases, and paying more attention to the ingredient list than the calorie counts. Nutrition is much more than a number… I’ll be at the race on Saturday morning – it’s gonna be a scorcher!

Maureen May 30, 2013 at 2:50 pm

I have “fat days” when I stay away from working out more than a few days. But once I am back at it, I feel great again!

emily:2:design:cents May 30, 2013 at 3:23 pm

I like what you said about how crossfit changed your perspective on “fat days”. I agree with that, when you get in a fitness/nutrition groove(looking at ingredient lists as opposed to calories), you think about that kind of thing less and less. Probably because your thoughts are directed towards something you really enjoy doing, instead of “feeling fat”. Well said!

Caddy May 30, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Hi Tina,

Just wanted to say thank you for a great post. It’s packed with loads of sound and balanced advice. I am on my own weight loss journey and really love carrotsncake which always helps to inspire.

Thanks

L May 30, 2013 at 5:07 pm

I have to ask about your sugar addiction question here. You talk a lot about kicking this habit, but nearly daily, this blog includes pictures of cookies, ice cream, M&Ms, etc. A lot of these cookies are “healthy” versions of the real ones, but it seems misleading to say that you’ve kicked this addiction when you are clearly still eating a decent portion of sugary foods. Can you share some more insight into this?

Tina May 30, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Hmmm… you might be confusing my blog with another one? I can’t even remember the last time I had ice cream! I enjoy treats every now and then, but it’s (usually) in moderation, and I don’t feel like the sugar is controlling me or my decisions at all. If you read my sugar addiction post, it explains how things have changed. Hope this helps.

Lindsey May 31, 2013 at 12:04 am

@Tina: Tina, why do you even respond to comments like this…clearly they are just trying to bring you down…regardless of their truth. I think you’re a great role model, and I appreciate your honesty and transparency.

Tina May 31, 2013 at 7:41 am

I should know better. Don’t feed the trolls, right?

Thanks for your comment and kind words, Lindsey! :)

Rachel May 31, 2013 at 7:48 pm

@Lindsey: AMEN SISTER! go team tina!

Ella May 30, 2013 at 6:01 pm

I think age has something to do with dealing with fat days. I’ll be 30 this summer and I’m preggo with my second kid… and I have a husband who think I’m sexy and we’ve been together 8.5 years. All these things combine to remind me that I AM beautiful, and my body is just incredible (hello making LIFE) and I dunno, as years pass I get less and less self conscious. I’m pretty sure I’ll end up like my mom and aunt, wearing tube tops and bikinis well into their 60′s (with age appropriate cover ups at the ready, haha). They just don’t care and I love that!

Meghan @ After the Ivy League May 30, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Love your response to dealing with fat days. I feel very similarly! A mixture of “I’m too old for that shit” and finally being at peace with my diet and exercise. My thing is, I can have superrrr bloated days when I eat gluten or something I’m allergic to, or certain times of the month. Those days are legitimate fat days where my jeans are a little tighter. But I know the cause of them, and I know I’ll be back to normal in a couple days. So really, it’s not a big deal at all. Life goes on!

Stacey @ Pugmamastace May 30, 2013 at 9:29 pm

Hi Tina! I have a CrossFit question for you. I am on the mend from a severe hamstring injury (high hamstring tendinitis in both legs + a partially torn right hammy) and cannot do anything besides swimming and my PT. I even overdid it yesterday in PT and had to take a day off today. I have done CrossFit a couple of times in the past, and liked it. Moving forward, I have to be very very cautious as far as keeping form correct when lifting, lunging, etc-and can’t safely rush through anything. Is CrossFit just not a good idea in general for me? Should I take WOD’s and do them at home at my own pace?? What do you think? I tend to be very competitive even when I go into something saying I’m not going to be. I just really like the idea of becoming stronger and leaner and having those positive changes take place in my body. Thanks so much for your awesome blog! Hi to Murphy, too!

Alyssa May 30, 2013 at 9:50 pm

I try to remember how crappy I feel and not to repeat. I also try to forgive myself :-)

Annie Atherton May 31, 2013 at 10:23 am

Love it! You have such an awesome, healthy way of looking at yourself! I definately have stopped weighing myself since I started CrossFit, instead of an obsessive everyday thing, it has become more once a month thing for me. And seriously, my health shows in my WODs and what I can do when playing with my kids, instead of what the scale shows!

Mary Slagel May 31, 2013 at 1:12 pm

There is nothing worse than a fat day. Some girls have them practically daily. I’ve been lucky enough to not have them as often. On occasion I will feel bloated or disgusted with myself, but I have learned what foods make me feel that way and have started to avoid them and replace eating with walking.

Annie @ my fuel and fitness diaries May 31, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Definitely have my fair share of “fat days.” I think Im just really sensitive to salt and retain water easily. On those days I try to eat a lot of veggies and get a good, hard workout in and always feel better the next day!

Suzanne June 2, 2013 at 7:09 am

Great advice, thank you! I often get hung up on the scale and I’m learning (slowly) that it’s not about the number, it’s about being healthy. If I have a fat day, I try to turn it around with exercise and (extra) healthy eating!

Emily @ runningmyliferace June 4, 2013 at 2:47 pm

I’m late to the “party” but I really enjoyed your post about fat days. I think you are totally right about finding the right workout to help you focus on food as fuel! Too much crossfit actually makes me have “fat days” so balancing running and crossfit is how I avoid that feeling. Also, eating foods that are easy on my digestive system is really important to avoid stomach issues…because digestion issues always equal a ‘fat day’!

Natasha October 2, 2013 at 1:20 pm