• HAPPY B-DAY, Mal

May 24, 2013

I had a fun birthday surprise waiting for Mal when he came home from school yesterday!

happy_bday

I spelled out “HAPPY B-DAY” on gift bags and then bought a present that started with each of the letters for him.

For the letters, I cut up a Happy Birthday sign.

For the bags, I recycled ones that we already had in our “wrapping” stuff and then just used Scotch tape to stick on the letters.

Then, I bought Mal a bunch of his favorite things to put inside the bags.

And he loved it! Mal had such a blast opening each of the gifts!

Here’s what I got him:

• H: A pint of Ben & Jerry’s “Half Baked” ice cream
    • A: A pair of argyle socks
    • P: A bag of pistachios
    • P: A pair of pants from J.Crew (he mentioned wanting new pants the other day)
    • Y: A yellow bag of peanut M&Ms (Y was tough!)
    • B: A bottle of beer (Racer 5 – his favorite)
    • D: A pound of Dunkin Donuts Dark Roast (lots of D’s!)
    • A: An Apple gift card
    • Y: Yoohoo (did I mention Y was really hard?)

The only thing Mal asked for for his birthday was Funfetti cake, so I made him a batch of cupcakes.

photo (600x600)

And then took some of them to CrossFit where we sang “Happy Birthday” to him.

Dinner

After CrossFit, we quickly showered and then headed to Cask ‘n Flagon for dinner and to watch the Bruins game.

To start, Mal and I shared then Southwest Quesadillas. Mal really loved them, but I thought the cheese was kind of weird. It was almost like Velveeta instead of shredded, melty cheese.

photo (3) (450x600)

For my entrée, I ordered the chili and sweet potato fries, which were both delicious, especially the fries. They were crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside with sea salt sprinkled on top. Yum!

photo (2) (450x600)

Guess the Pug Part

Thanks to everyone who played along with the inaugural “Guess the Pug Part” game. Wasn’t that tough? I couldn’t figure them out for the life of me! With that said, here are the answers:

Photo 1: Neck roll

Photo 2: Inner back leg

And here’s the winner of the jar of Nikki’s Coconut Butter:

Traci

Haha! That is hilarious. I’m having so much trouble with the first one. It kind of looks like Murphy’s ear might be in the right corner but it looks like it could be anything! I have to go with inner leg for the last one.

Congrats, Traci! Please email me at tina@carrotsncake.com with your full name, mailing address, and flavor of Nikki’s Coconut Butter you’d like.

For those of you who asked about Nikki’s Coconut Butter (affiliate link), you can buy it online. Nikki’s is a small company, so they’re not in big stores yet—just local farmer’s markets and health food stores near their production facility in Jupiter, FL.

FYI: Nikki’s Vanilla Cake Batter flavor is the bomb!

What gifts start with Y?

Any Funfetti lovers out there?

Julia May 24, 2013 at 7:59 pm

I really love the gift idea! As for gifts that start with y, that’s a really tough one to answer.. all I can come up with are yo-yos

Jill May 24, 2013 at 8:00 pm

That is such a great idea! I am definitely borrowing it for my boyfriends next birthday. I can’t think of any better Y words than those people have already suggested. Might have to go with Yoga mat for my boy… or something with the Yin Yang symbol.

Nicole @ FruitnFitness May 24, 2013 at 8:06 pm

That is such a cute birthday idea! Y would be hard. I would think yogurt, yams and um I can’t think of much more.

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl May 24, 2013 at 9:07 pm

You are so stinkin’ creative!! What a good wifey you are! :)

Joli May 24, 2013 at 9:17 pm

I got some that start with a Y! Yacht, yo-yo, yarn, yogurt cake?! LOL! I love funfetti. I am actualy trying a new recipe tomorrow called “celebration cupcakes”. I am going to prepare brownie mix and prepare the funfetti cake mix… Put the brownie batter on the bottom and then the funfetti cake on top and bake!!! Can’t wait to see how they come out! By the way your cupcakes are cute! HBD MAL!

Pam May 24, 2013 at 9:24 pm

I love your gift ideas for Mal, very creative!!
    I love Nikki’s Coconut Butter, I just wrote a post reviewing their Vanilla Cake Batter! My co-workers wife actually works for Nikki so I got a connection to review. Jupiter, FL is local to me. I can’t wait to try the other flavors!
    I remember making funfetti cake in college with a friend of mine, we would make it once in a while for no reason, it was the best! I loved the funfetti frosting the best :).

Karen May 24, 2013 at 9:52 pm

Gift that start with “y” could be:
    Yo-Yo
    ying-yang symbol necklace/key ring
    yoga dvd or yoga mat

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More May 24, 2013 at 9:57 pm

What a cute idea for the birthday gift! I love how creative you are!

D. May 24, 2013 at 10:13 pm

Cute. Does he actually like ‘yoo hoo” or is that just something to fill the letter? :)
    Did you take Mal’s last name when you married?

Also, how long were you married before getting Murphy ? Did you know you both wanted a pug or other ideas in mind? Ever consider a 2nd one? Did you grow up with pugs? Were you both really dog people or did you grow into it?

Amanda May 24, 2013 at 10:28 pm

A yellow yo-yo and I love Murphy photo bombs! Especially where he has a stick hanging from his mouth?! haha..

Teresa @ www.fitinwoodbine.com May 24, 2013 at 10:47 pm

Such a cute idea! Totally stealing it!!

Luv What You Do May 24, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Great idea for Bady gifts!

Samantha May 24, 2013 at 11:45 pm

Funfetti is so good! It’s not GF though so I’m not suppose to eat it. Shhhh.

Y is for Yuca! (don’t you like yuca fries)

Super cute idea, I may steal for my Gemini husband.

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats May 25, 2013 at 2:20 am

They don’t sell funfetti in Australia so I’ve never tried it before but it sounds great!

Y is a tough one. Yonana’s maker? A machine that makes ice cream out of frozen bananas :)

Rachel Wilkerson May 25, 2013 at 7:12 am

What a cute gift idea! I may need to steal this!

For “y”…maybe yard stuff? We are wanting to build a patio and start a garden so I’m thinking things for that!

Selinda May 25, 2013 at 9:35 am

Why are boys so obsessed with funfetti cake? My fiancee asks for the same thing every year on his birthday!

AJ May 25, 2013 at 10:46 pm

I love your birthday gift idea!! So fun and creative!

-AJ
    FitTravelerAJ.com

Kristi May 26, 2013 at 2:00 am

I love the birthday gift idea. I’m going to have to keep that one in mind!

Jeanie @Breakfast for Dinner May 26, 2013 at 7:10 am

I love Funfetti! My mom makes it for me every year.

Jessi May 26, 2013 at 10:58 am

I was thinking a gift certificate to a frozen yogurt place. Yellow squash also came to mind, but it doesn’t seem terribly gift-like =p Love your idea! Might have to try it on my hubby next year. He’s so hard to buy for.

Annie Atherton May 28, 2013 at 8:10 am

Totally stealing your idea for Birthday presents! But my husband’s birthday isn’t until February… I hope I remember :)

Jenni May 29, 2013 at 11:43 am

Wha Nikki’s is based in Jupiter??? I live just north of there…gotta find that stuff!

Bearsmama May 30, 2013 at 8:14 pm

I will definitely be stealing your birthday bag idea for my DH’s upcoming birthday. What a great, simple, and special way to give a gift (or 10!). Yes, “y” might be very hard!

Beverly May 30, 2013 at 10:28 pm

LOVE funfetti. Who am I kidding… love frosting.. LOL Cake is optional.

Y – Gifts:
    Yams or Yam Chips
    Yellow anything (socks, slippers, shirt, etc.)
    A “Yankees” poster to throw darts at (GO BOSOX!)
    Yankee Candle (not to in any way be misinterpreted with a lame ‘buy our wins’ baseball team)
    Yard Tools

Tahleen June 5, 2013 at 3:54 pm

I am totally stealing this idea. My husband’s birthday is coming up in July! Thanks for the inspiration!

Karen A Einsel January 3, 2014 at 9:42 am

HAHA.. Great ideas! One of my favorite thing to do for a party is buy a new fitted sheet for the child’s bed, preferably white and use it as the table cloth (Use a cheap plastic table cloth underneath) And with fabric paints, paint Happy Birthday and the child’s name you can paint a theme or balloons on it and then when the guests arrive let them use permanent markers or paint pens to add their names or? After the party throw it in the washer and then the child has their own special sheet to dream on :-))