• Run for Charlotte and CrossFit Doggie Date

April 8, 2013

On Sunday morning, I participated in the Run for Charlotte, a 5K and 10K road race in honor of 5-year-old Charlotte Rose Kelly, who lost her battle with neuroblastoma in December 2011.

From the Prayers from Charlotte website:

Neuroblastoma is an aggressive form of cancer associated with the nerve cells and adrenal glands. It commonly occurs in infants and very young children. Its cause is unknown. Only 650 new cases are reported in the United States annually. Neuroblastoma therefore is regarded as an orphan disease, one that does not attract funding. As such, it is left largely to the families of neuroblastoma patients to raise the necessary funds to further research to find a cure.

Prayers for Charlotte, is a 100% volunteer organization that works to raise funds for neuroblastoma research and relief for families fighting cancer. There are no salaried employees and all proceeds from our events will support this dual effort.

The Run for Charlotte was a wonderful race: well-organized, super friendly volunteers, fast (mostly flat) course, awesome after-party, and, of course, it benefited a great cause. It was all around a fabulous road race. I definitely want to run it again next year!

The race started at 10:00 AM, and the later start time was much-appreciated, especially after a late night of rocking out to 90’s music with CrossFit friends.

I didn’t really have a time goal or anything like that for race day. Of course, it would have been nice to PR, but I planned to just enjoy the race. Mal and a ton of people from our CrossFit box were running too, so I just set out to have fun.

Well, I guess my non-plan was a good one because I ended up tying my previous 5K PR time! (Is that still a PR?) And, apparently, I placed second in my age group! Not too shabby, right?

Post-race with CrossFit friends:

Run for Charlotte

And Mal, who finished in 19:59 and placed 8th out of almost 700 runners. Speed demon. Imagine if he actually liked running!? Haha!

The post-race after-party was a lot of run. There was beer, food, music… awesome time.

After the race, Mal and I met up with some CrossFit friends at Southside Tavern for some celebratory drinks. I drank an Angry Orchard while there.

Then, Mal and I stopped at home, grabbed Murphy, and then met some different CrossFit friends at Bare Cove Park for an epic doggie date.

071 (600x450)

We ended up having 10 dogs and 10 humans. Obviously, the pug was psyched.

061 (600x450)

064 (600x450)

After Murphy did his pug mayor thing (he’s all about the meet and greet), he mostly hung out by himself and not with the rest of the pack. It was a little unlike Murphy to be so anti-social, but he was acting normal otherwise, so we let him do his own thing. Clearly, he was marching to the beat of his own drum yesterday.

marches_to_the_beat_of_his_own_drum_

We ended up walking the big loop of Bare Cove Park, which took us almost 2 hours (it’s 4 miles), so the dogs (and humans) were pooped by the end.

067 (600x450)

Big yawn from Murphy!

068 (450x600)

What’s your favorite race distance?

What was your favorite outdoor activity from this past weekend?

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } April 8, 2013 at 3:17 pm

My favorite race distance is definitely a half marathon. I find the crowds and kids at 5k’s to be hard to navigate, and I love earning medals!

Stellina April 8, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Half marathon for sure! 5k is my least favorite. I can never find my groove.

Shel@PeachyPalate April 8, 2013 at 3:48 pm

5k’s are ideal! Good lord Mal certainly is speedy! Well done to you for tying your previous PR seen as you haven’t been doing a whole lot of running that’s amazing!

Shannon @ Skinny Sometimes April 8, 2013 at 3:54 pm

It’s so nice that you hang out with your CrossFit friends outside of your workouts!

Annie April 8, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Soon Mal’ll be like “Yeah sure, I’ll meet you in 10 minutes, I’m just going to run a 5K before” haha.

Tina April 8, 2013 at 4:04 pm

Haha! I know! He’s so fast!

Taylor @ LiftingRevolution April 8, 2013 at 4:04 pm

My fav distance is 10K. I like that it’s challenging and I can get some speed going but the distance is just enough to really kick my butt for a bit. Then I am not super dead once it is done.

My favorite thing from the weekend: Cooper River Bridge Run!

Emily April 8, 2013 at 4:11 pm

I like half marathons. The race has to at least take me more time to complete than it took to drive there.

Miranda @ Miranda Runs April 8, 2013 at 4:11 pm

I really love running 10k and 12k! I have my first half marathon in June so I haven’t ran that distance yet, but I think I’ll have a new favorite! :)

Lindsay April 8, 2013 at 4:12 pm

My favorite is the half marathon. I can’t wait to be able to race again.

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 8, 2013 at 4:14 pm

I actually think the marathon was one of my favorite distances… just because other distances I run at a speed where I feel like I’m dying! I do love doing 5Ks for fun though!

Sara @ fitcupcaker April 8, 2013 at 4:33 pm

PLaying with my dogs outside is the best. my border collie got in the pool for the first time!

Rachel @ Undercover Diva: A Sitcom April 8, 2013 at 4:40 pm

5K is my LEAST favorite distance. I really loved my half-marathon, and I’m doing a 10-miler in October, so anything 6+ is great in my book. I can’t believe how fast Mal is! I get excited to finish a 5k anywhere in the range of 24-27 minutes (I’m not fast), but he just puts me to shame! Good for him! And congrats to you for placing! Does laying on the beach like a log count as an outdoor activity? Because it was by far the highlight of my weekend. Although, I did go to a party Saturday night that was outside in this old barn and that was kind of fun, but I think the beach takes the cake.

Becky @ Olives n Wine April 8, 2013 at 4:44 pm

If you and Mal decide to have kids, they are going to be pro-athletes! Seriously, between your impressive CrossFit skills and Mal’s 5k in less than 20 minutes. Amazing! Love the doggy play-date too – It is nice to wear them out like that sometimes ;)

Annette@FitnessPerks April 8, 2013 at 4:50 pm

I love running half marathons! They’re so fun–and I like a good bit of distance, but not too much, so it’s perfect.

Nice job on the race!!

michelle kim April 8, 2013 at 4:59 pm

Awww! I love when dogs hang out together :)
    My favorite race distance is half marathon. I had a wonderful time being a pacer this weekend at the Santa Cruz Half Marathon. It was so much fun to pace my favorite distance!

Emily @ The Swallow Flies April 8, 2013 at 5:41 pm

I love half marathons — which sounds so weird coming from someone who once hated running! On Friday, The Boy and I went for a nice, hilly bike ride; it was only four miles, but it was so nice just to get outside for a while. I’m loving the spring weather!

(On a different note, The Boy is in Boston right now, and I’m trying to convince him to sneak an iced coffee from MaryLou’s on the plane to bring to me back in Des Moines. I’m not sure he can make it through security with it in his carry-on, but I’m crossing my fingers!)

Ellie@Fit for the Soul April 8, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Oh my goodness, Mal is so fast! I didn’t know he was that athletic, lucky him :D And that is such a great reason to race~I was never aware of Neuroblastoma until now.

Beth Sheridan April 8, 2013 at 5:51 pm

I think that a half-marathon is too long for me and a 5K almost annoys me, but I’ve never run a 10K. I think that would be my perfect race :)

Aurielle @ Will2Wellness April 8, 2013 at 5:59 pm

I like running 5Ks (3 miles is doable), but I’d like to work up to running a 10K or half marathon. This past weekend my husband and I took a walk along Georgetown’s Waterfront. The weather was amazing!

Erika April 8, 2013 at 6:21 pm

I did the Santa Anita 5k on Saturday. It was a pretty flat course and I enjoyed it. My next event is a mud run…my very first one!

Tina April 8, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Fun! Congrats! :)

Nicole @ Fruit 'N' Fitness April 8, 2013 at 6:33 pm

I love the bottom photo, it looks like Murphy has a huge smile on his face :)

Rachel McIntyre April 8, 2013 at 6:43 pm

Congratulations on your time and coming second in your age group!

My fave distance is a half marathon. Tough, but not too tough.

This weekend I went for a cold but lovely walk at the beach with my mam, sister and baby niece :)

Jane @ Not Plain So Jane April 8, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Half-marathons are my favorite distance!

She Rocks Fitness April 8, 2013 at 8:07 pm

I enjoy training and doing half marathons! I only have one on the calendar this spring/summer, but hope to add some more as time goes by. Favorite weekend outdoor activity was walking the 3 golden retrievers both days. It’s so soothing!

Erin B April 8, 2013 at 8:12 pm

I ran Charolette’s last year and would have run it again this year but I’m in AZ on vaca…my company, Braintree Cooperative Bank, runs a water station…it’s a great race…Ill def be running it again next year!

Alyssa April 8, 2013 at 8:14 pm

I think that my favorite distance is a 10K. It can be fast but still feel like an accomplishment!

This past weekend, my favorite outdoor activity was my 11 mile training run with my friend. We talked the ENTIRE time :-)

Sarah April 8, 2013 at 8:33 pm

My brother got a rescue dog two weeks ago so we introduced him to the dog parks in our area this weekend. Three hours and three different dog parks, man were we tired.

Jodie April 8, 2013 at 8:48 pm

I think anywhere betweeen 5-10 kms is good. I have never been a natural runner but I always have a sense of achievement when finished a good run which I try to do between 3-5 times a week.

I went for a 7km run this morning after I did my 100 burpees, OMG…I struggled big time. I told my sister she had to do all the talking today…lol!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 8, 2013 at 8:50 pm

Wow, Mal is crazy fast! Such an awesome time!!

Angela April 8, 2013 at 9:01 pm

Little Murphy is too cute!!

Victoria @ Reluctantly Skinny April 8, 2013 at 9:33 pm

I love races for a good cause! We have a 5k trail run this Sunday, so we checked out the trails this weekend – it was pretty fun, but I’m expecting this race to be the opposite of flat! No PR for me!

Maureen @ Breaking Free & Finding Me April 8, 2013 at 10:12 pm

woah!! Mal is a speed demon! Congrats on matching your PR! Looks like a fun weekend :)

Linda @running4two April 8, 2013 at 11:08 pm

My favorite distance is the half marathon. It’s much easier to train for than a full marathon but still very challenging. I’ve actually never done a race that was less than a half but that will not be true after this weekend…10k on Sunday :-).

My favorite outdoor activity this weekend was a half marathon on Saturday!

Petra April 8, 2013 at 11:12 pm

Just had dyslexia for a moment and read thought the title read “Run for Chocolate”.. hehe… Wonder what was going on there subconsciously… :D

Lisa April 8, 2013 at 11:39 pm

Nice job to both of you on the 5K!! 2nd in your age group is amazing! I missed commenting on this earlier, but I’m super excited for you to be embarking on CF level 1 training. I bet it’s going to take your crossfit to a whole new level and you will be a great instructor! I’m looking forward to reading all about it here.

I’ve run a few marathons and looking back, I MUCH prefer shorter races now. Like after starting crossfit, even 5K feels long to me. I love 400s and milers. Though I would like to train up and run a 5K in under 20:00–a very lofty goal! But it would be fun to try. I cannot imagine doing another marathon. I find anything over 5k to be super boring.

Jodea @ chillichocolatelove.com April 9, 2013 at 1:45 am

I had a walk along the beach in the long-awaited spring sunshine.

Peter@ MadForFit April 9, 2013 at 5:32 am

I’m not a runner these days, but used to enjoy a lunchtime 3-4 miler.

I only do weights now and fell and look so much better for it.

I did go for a walk this weekend, as the sun finally came out here in the UK!!

Just discovered your blog Tina, and love the content you have here. Will be back for sure!

Peter

Kristen @ Change of Pace April 9, 2013 at 6:17 am

That is a perfect family day! I just love 5K’s. They are usually for something very worthwhile and everyone is in a relaxed mood :)

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats April 9, 2013 at 6:46 am

Favourite outdoor activity from the weekend was definitely brunch! :) once on saturday and then again on sunday.

Love the pics of all the dogs too cute!

Nicole April 9, 2013 at 6:47 am

Congrats on the run! 10K is still a favorite.
    Best outdoor activity was a walk along the lakeshore path with the dogs!

Suzanne April 9, 2013 at 7:22 am

Congrats to you both on great times for a great cause! I’m partial to the 10K…a good workout, but doesn’t entirely wipe me out. I took my 3 kids to Providence to do the MS walk (5K) with my SIL who was diagnosed a little over a year ago.

Elizabeth @ Positive Change April 9, 2013 at 8:36 am

I know I sound crazy but I love the marathon distance. I love a challenge and to me this is a total challenge! Great job on your race!!

Meghan @ After the Ivy League April 9, 2013 at 10:24 am

Such a fun day! Kicking butt at an awesome race, Angry Orchards, a nice walk with the dog…sounds perfect!

Melisa April 9, 2013 at 10:43 am

I love running Halfs and 10ks. Im a negative split runner so I perform a lot better on the longer races. I ran the Cohasset Race by the Sea on Sunday (10k). It was a beautiful course. Will def. do it again next year.

Jen April 9, 2013 at 11:05 am

Oh, I’m so glad to see you participated in the Run for Charlotte! If I wasn’t sick, I would have run this year. My coworker’s son, Jesse, is fighting neuroblastoma, and he was in the hospital with Charlotte just before she died. Jesse ran on Sunday as well.

It is certainly a cause near and dear to my heart.

Monique @ burpeestobubbly.com April 9, 2013 at 2:43 pm

My favorite race distance is a 5K!

absolute health and fitness April 11, 2013 at 10:18 am

Nice race! Keep it up. :)

Sean April 11, 2013 at 6:21 pm

Sounds like fun and for a great cause. Well done!

The Lone Runner July 3, 2013 at 6:29 am

Hey Carrots N’ Cake! Been checking out your website and love it! I just started racing, so not sure if I have a favorite distance- although 10K does seem to hit that sweet spot between a full out 5k sprint and the solid endurance you need for a half. I am from the south shore and Run for Charlotte too and had a ton of fun! Great race– and holy cow Mal!! Crazy fast! Good job to you both! (better late than never :) )