• I Love the 90’s

April 8, 2013

GOOD MORNING and happy Monday!

I think I’m I still recovering from this past weekend. It was action-packed to say the least! Last night, Mal and I (and Murphy) were absolutely exhausted after having so much fun and go-go-going all weekend long. Obviously, I am not complaining, but, whoa, we packed a lot into two days.

I pretty much ate like crap all weekend, so I started this morning with a healthy breakfast: green juice, a toasted gluten-free English muffin with peanut butter and banana on one half and sunflower butter and banana on the other, and a leftover decaf Vanilla Hazelnut iced coffee from 1st Stop that I bought yesterday. (The key to saving iced coffee overnight: Take out the ice as soon as you decide you’re not going to the drink the whole thing. It tastes just as good the next day. Just add ice!)

On Saturday night, Mal and I attended a 90’s “Back in the Day”/fundraiser party for one of our CrossFit friends, who is running the Boston Marathon next week.

043 (600x450)

Seriously, how fun were the 90’s?! Wouldn’t it be cool to go back and relive a few days from that decade? I know I’d love it! Haha! Ok, we’ll chat about the 90’s in a second—I’ll recap the evening first!

Before the party, Mal and I grabbed dinner at Main Street Grille with Kerrie and her boyfriend, Matt.

Random side note #1: The last time Mal and I went to Main Street Grille was the day we signed the papers on the our house. We had some drinks and ate dinner with Dave and Marie to celebrate.

Random side note #2: Dave and Marie are on the exact same flight to Ireland with us!! It’s totally random and we are all super pumped to hang out together!

The four of us snagged some seats at the bar and then ordered drinks. I went with a glass of Sauvignon Blanc.

038 (450x600)

I’ve been on a buffalo sauce kick lately, so I ordered the potato skins with buffalo chicken for dinner. Obviously, not super healthy, but it was super delicious!

039 (600x450)

Kerrie and me!

040 (600x450)

After dinner, the four of us headed to the 90’s party. Mal went grunge while I rocked a Saved by the Bell t-shirt that I found on clearance at Target. (Lucky me!) I tried to do my hair all big and feathery like Kelly Kapowski, but it only lasted about an hour. I guess I didn’t use enough hair spray. Apparently, I have lost my 90’s hair-styling skillz.

044 (600x450)

90’s CrossFit ladies!

The party was a lot of fun and, not surprisingly, the topic of the 90’s came up quite a bit throughout the evening. We had a blast reminiscing and laughing about all of the ridiculous things from the 90’s that we loved, including:

Snap bracelets!

051 (600x450)

045 (600x450)

052 (450x600)

I dunno what is happening here…

053 (450x600)

Bagel Bites!

055 (600x450)

Saved By The Bell

Beanie Babies

New Kids on the Block

Butterfly clips

Flannel shirts

Chuck Taylors

Home Alone

Pegged pants

Mood rings

Pan Mass Challenge Spin-A-Thon

Jess from Little Miss Runshine is hosting a great event for a great cause next month in Boston, so I just wanted to share the details with the local folks:

Pan Mass Challenge Spin-A-Thon
    Saturday, May 18th from 12-4pm
    Healthworks Back Bay

For tickets: http://trojbpmcspin.eventbrite.com/

What were some of your favorite things from the 90’s?

Lauren April 8, 2013 at 10:31 am

Beanie Babies, Trolls, pulling your (long) T-Shirt to the side with a scrunchie, Boyz II Men….love the 90’s!

Stacey April 8, 2013 at 10:34 am

@Lauren: oooo, trolls! Forgot about those. I had so many! haha.

Stacey April 8, 2013 at 10:33 am

Mine was probably TV shows — TGIF! Boy Meets World (have the theme song stuck in my head now)!
    Jellies! I wore those shoes all. the. time. Or were those ’80s?
    Good times :)

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } April 8, 2013 at 11:14 am

I”m actually working on a ’90s’ themed birthday box for my brother who turns 27 next month!

Whitney @ whit likes fit April 8, 2013 at 11:15 am

Hypercolor t-shirts, Color Me Bad, 90210, Dawson’s Creek. Um sometimes I turn Sirius to 90’s on 9 during my morning commute and pretend I’m heading to my high school instead of work haha.

Julie / Bound April 8, 2013 at 11:19 am

Haha, LOVE Trolls. They were so funny and cute (in an ugly sort of way).

Virginia S. April 8, 2013 at 11:21 am

Vision of Love by Mariah Carey, can’t believe it was that long ago. How about virtual Pets, or the now forgotten Furby?

Michelle@sugarplumcupcake.com April 8, 2013 at 4:46 pm

@Virginia S.: Furby’s are the new rage here where I live in Central NY..my niece is 5 and wants one SO BAD for her B’day in a few weeks (I think this aunt might help her out) and they have them back in the stores again..Love the 90’s!

Virginia S. April 8, 2013 at 7:07 pm

@Michelle@sugarplumcupcake.com: Jeez I am really out of touch, must still be stuck in the 90’s.

Morgan@Healthy Food Newsletter April 8, 2013 at 11:25 am

Snap bracelets used to be my favorite! I was born in 91 so my memories of the 90s are of the old Nickelodeon Cartoons, NSync, Backsteet Boys, and butterfly hair clips!

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl April 8, 2013 at 11:26 am

Oh my gosh….the 90s are the best!! I remember loving snap bracelets and troll dolls. Your Kelly shirt is the best….what a fun night!

Kristen April 8, 2013 at 11:28 am

Dawson’s Creek! Even though it was late 90s I re watched the entire show on Netflix last summer and may watch it again for this summer :) also the music which I why I love my 90s channel on satellite radio

Heidi April 8, 2013 at 11:29 am

omg- Pogs!! They were so stupid yet we HAD to have them! I want to think of something like- I bet the person that thought of Pogs is a millionaire just from how much were bought by me and my friends! The party looked like so much fun!

Jen @nutcaseinpoint April 8, 2013 at 11:46 am

Hate to say it- beanie babies. I still have all 500+ of them :-/

De @ Cooking for the Other Half April 8, 2013 at 11:54 am

I love this post!!!! I grew up in the late 80’s / 90’s so I have a lot of nostalgia for that decade. Beanie Babies were my life, along with: scrunchies, inflatable furniture, JNCOs, boy meets world, pogs, etc.

Kelly@BalancedDaily April 8, 2013 at 12:08 pm

I was born in 1990 so I was pretty young in the actual 90’s, but to me it seems like that decade kind of extended into the 2000’s, no? From the 90’s I loved butterfly clips, T.G.I.F., Clarissa Explains it All, Goosebumps, Beanie Babies, Skip-it’s, and shows like Hey Arnold, Doug, Fresh Prince of Bell Air and of course Saved by the Bell- love the shirt.

Audrey @ In Shape Cupcakd April 8, 2013 at 12:16 pm

I was born in ’95 so I dont remember to much from the 90’s. Oh but I love love love Seinfeld. Seen every episode. Best show evaaa

Maureen @ Breaking Free & Finding Me April 8, 2013 at 12:20 pm

the TV Shows! Gellies, all those crazy breakfast cereals like french toast crunch and rice krispie treat cereal and THE SPICE GIRLS!

Haley @ fullnfit April 8, 2013 at 12:22 pm

LOVE your shirt! The 90s rock! FULL HOUSE and Saved By the Bell are pure classics.. then there’s the jellies and Pogs. I had a 6ft neon pink pog tube. Weird.

sara @ fitcupcaker April 8, 2013 at 12:23 pm

I used to have snap bracelets when I was little. That’s hilarious

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 8, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Oh the 90s. Best decade ever. I was between the ages of 4 and 14 in the 90s so I really grew up in that decade. One thing I loved were all my matching outfits that you buy all together – stirrup leggings with a matching t-shirt and a matching headband and/or scrunchy. I actually wish that would all come back in style because it was so comfortable!

Traci April 8, 2013 at 12:44 pm

haha! someone’s comment about the inflatable furniture made me laugh; why was that ever a thing?! spice girls (we used to go crazy over collecting the lollipops), milky way gel pens (and writing all over each other- very safe), body glitter, tomagotchi, sketchers…

Tina April 8, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Haha! We had inflatable chairs in college (probably won from some random booze promotion), but they’d never last for long. Someone would always pop them!

Miranda @ Miranda Runs April 8, 2013 at 12:48 pm

I was born in 1994… I was raised in the era of The Lion King, snap bracelets, scrunchies, beanie babies, and Precious Moments. 😉

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl April 8, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Holy cow! That is a HUGE box of Bagel Bites!!

Your list of things that remind you of the 90’s brings back some good and bad memories. All I have to say is that I hope scrunchies never come back into style! 😉

Rachel @ Undercover Diva: A Sitcom April 8, 2013 at 12:57 pm

BRIGHT colors…overalls, and jean shorts were my favorites 😀 N’Sync, Britney Spears, pocket puppies, and BMW…. I know I’m not forming coherent sentences.. just making lists, but I’m trying to think of all my favorite things and they’re just coming out like word vomit.

Cat @ Breakfast to Bed April 8, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Things I love about the 90s in no particular order:
    Vanilla Ice
    Reality Bites
    My So Called Life
    Forest Gump
    High waisted pants
    bacon wrapped scallops
    my 16th birthday
    Baz Luhrman movies.

Sidenote: Mal looks like the dead brother from “Mad Men”. look it up, it’s almost creepy the resemblance.

Tina April 8, 2013 at 1:04 pm

I loved My So Called Life! Best show ever!

Emily @ The Swallow Flies April 8, 2013 at 5:45 pm

Baz Luhrman’s Romeo + Juliet — LOVE! I try showing it to my ninth graders every year during our R&J unit, and they absolutely hate it, which, as you can imagine, completely breaks my heart.

Elizabeth @ Positive Change April 8, 2013 at 1:10 pm

I loved Beanie Babies! I would save up my money and go to the store whenever I had enough to buy one!

meghan @ struggle muffins April 8, 2013 at 1:43 pm

I’m not sure if it’s going on anymore but Common Ground in Allston used to do a 90’s Night on Fridays – pure nostalgia. I’d add fanny packs, Babysitters Club and Goosebumps books, and Clear Pepsi (short-lived, but awesome) to the list :)

vivian April 8, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Mal is rocking the sublime shirt!I actually attend the college where the band members first met one another.

Jodea @ chillichocolatelove.com April 8, 2013 at 1:44 pm

The first thing that popped into my mind was Reebok Pumps!

Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run April 8, 2013 at 1:56 pm

That’s a smart iced coffee tip. The only problem is, I always guzzle mine up!

Eating 4 Balance April 8, 2013 at 1:57 pm

How about Boy Meets World (so excited for the spin-off!), Hubba Bubba Ouch gum :) , beanie babies, Power Rangers, and Scooby Doo! You can tell I wasn’t very old at the time. Lol.

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More April 8, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Awesome! LOVE the snap bracelets and Kelly Kapowski tshirt! so fun!

Annette@FitnessPerks April 8, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Snap bracelets! And Back Street Boys (end of the 90’s)!

Looks like a fun evening, for sure.

PJ geek April 8, 2013 at 2:39 pm

Beverly Hills 90210–I was in to the Cure and Duran Duran in the 90’s…well I still like them!

Linz @ Itz Linz April 8, 2013 at 2:46 pm

omg i love the 90s!! i have satellite radio and the 90’s station is totally my favorite!!

Tina April 8, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Me too!!!

Melisa April 8, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Friends: Best 90’s show ever and of course the Rachel hair-do.

Tina April 8, 2013 at 3:15 pm

Agreed! :)

Shel@PeachyPalate April 8, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Boybands! Collecting stickers (and of course pogs!) Tomagotchi…not a favourite but memorable none the less! California Dreams, another classic show and remember Sweet Valley High? By pegged pants do you been “rip offs”…the ones with the buttons down the sides?

Heather April 8, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Is it bad I am still obsessed with saved by the bell? Ah the good old days. Beanie babies were a favorite of mine as were scrunchies and those creepy looking troll dolls.

Tina April 8, 2013 at 3:14 pm

Haha! Me too! I always stop and watch the reruns! :)

Mary April 8, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Polly Pockets, My Little Ponies and Saved By The Bell!
    I want a 90s themed party!

Katie @ KatieEnPursuit April 8, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Ha! This cracked me up, looks like SO much fun! Loved the 90’s….four-square on the playground, Guess jeans, Hypercolor t’s, Skip-It’s, I could go on & on! Happy Monday :)

Tina April 8, 2013 at 3:14 pm

Skip-it’s! Those were so fun!

Sarah April 8, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Sounds like an awesome party. I make my one year old listen to the 90s Pop Pandora Station all the time- gotta school him in the best music ever!

Tina April 8, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Haha! Yes! :)

Renae @ MissFit Mixed Chick April 8, 2013 at 3:47 pm

Spice Girls, Full House, Long white socks, keds, skating rink, Boy Meets world, Mariah Carey.

emma April 8, 2013 at 4:06 pm

ace of base, tgif, overalls and “baby tees” smashing pumpkins, body glitter, walkmans and then later DISCmans, TLC, Titanic, sketchers and shrinkydinks

Tricia April 8, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Emily April 8, 2013 at 5:13 pm

Lisa Frank! I had a Lisa Frank binder and it was so. beautiful.

Rachel McIntyre April 8, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Haha! I’d forgotten about so many of these things!

One of my favourite things: taping songs off the radio!

Mia April 8, 2013 at 6:52 pm

Our weekend was action packed too. We went on a little getaway, so of course that entailed lots of eating out, drinking vino, and amazing dessert (like quintessential chocolate cake, carrot cake, butter cake with vanilla buttercream & smoked seasalt and the most amazing chocolate cappuccino I have ever had!) We tried to balance it all out with hiking and quite frankly it was all WORTH IT!!! :-) Getting back to healthy eating reality though feels much better!

I loved snap bracelets! Yes to the mood rings and beanie babies (remember not to remove the tags? ha!)

Tina April 8, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Haha about the Beanie Bag tags!!!

Danica @ It's Progression April 8, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Scrunchies (are the wrist, of course) were an absolute must EVERY day :)

Alyssa April 8, 2013 at 8:18 pm

Full House, Saved by the Bell, Fresh Prince of Bel Air…and the list goes on!

Angela April 8, 2013 at 9:12 pm

I loved the 90’s! Pogs and snap bracelets for dayssss. I just went to a 90’s dance club on Saturday night where you danced to 90’s songs all night long. SO fun!

Annie April 8, 2013 at 11:22 pm

I didn’t know you were getting a free trip to Ireland, too! that’s awesome!

Tina April 9, 2013 at 5:52 am

I’m not getting a free trip to Ireland, but that would be nice! :)

Melissa April 9, 2013 at 12:19 am

Everything you mentioned! Loved those snap bracelets lol!