• I Did A 3-Day Juice Cleanse

April 29, 2013

Did you happen to notice that I didn’t blog about my food on Thursday, Friday, or Saturday last week? Well, it’s because I did a 3-day juice cleanse.

Say whaaat? Yep, that’s right. I did a 3-day juice cleanse. I bet you’re wondering WHY? Well, there are a few reasons:

• My friend Kerrie wanted to do a juice cleanse and asked me to join her. Buddy support and a little peer pressure? Sure, sign me up. I’ll try just about anything once!
    • Drinking juice requires hardly any digestion, so it gives your system a chance to rest while providing you with lots of nutrients at the same time. I’m on the final few days of weaning myself off steroids, so I thought giving my colon a little extra healing right before I totally go off them might be beneficial.
    • And, honestly, I just wanted to do a juice cleanse to see what it was all about. I love fresh juice and drink it almost every day, so why not?

When Kerrie asked me to join her, she had a very specific juice cleanse in mind. Someone told her about the Pressed Juicery in California, so she read up on how it works on the website and told me all about it. It sounded pretty cool, so we planned to do a 3-day juice cleanse last week. Throughout the cleansing process, I took notes on how I was feeling, so I could share my experience on CNC. So, without further ado, here’s how my 3-day juice cleanse went. (FYI: I have zero connection to the Pressed Juicery. I decided to do this juice cleanse totally on my own and this post is not sponsored by the company in any way.)

Pre-cleanse

When I got home from Ireland, I ordered the 3-day juice cleanse from the Pressed Juicery (I did Cleanse 2) and gave myself three days to prep my system before I started it. In order to get the best “detoxifying results” from the cleanse, the Pressed Juicery recommends that you “wean yourself off of some of your usual indulgences,” including:

• meat and poultry
    • refined starches like bread, white rice and pasta
    • dairy and egg products
    • sugar
    • alcohol and nicotine
    • sushi

I ended up eating several bites of chicken on Monday, but only because I forgot about the pre-cleanse. Oops! The Pressed Juicery website said if you really feel like you need some animal protein, it’s okay to eat a little as long as it’s organic, so I didn’t worry about it and just didn’t eat meat after that. I wasn’t super strict with the pre-cleanse since I already eat pretty well, but I have to admit, I’m surprised I didn’t miss meat all that much. I thought I would be starving without protein, but I really wasn’t.

Day 1

Of course, I woke up hungry on the first day of the cleanse. The juices were supposed to be delivered to my house that morning, so I drank some water and got to work as a way to distract myself. Hours and hours passed and my stomach was grumbling like crazy, so I finally broke down and ate a banana. I was miserable, so I ate something and then justified that my juice cleanse would start after eating the banana.

At 10:00, my juice for the next three days finally arrived. Hooray!

005

Inside the box was six juices for each day, which you selected online when you ordered, as well as a bottle of aloe water. There was also an option to have a bottle of chlorophyll water each day, but I saved my money and passed on it. I heard aloe is great for healing the colon, so I ordered those along with the juices. (It was an extra cost.)

008

Here are the six juices I choose for my cleanse:

pressed_juicery_juices_

I loved—like LOVED—all of the juices, except for the Roots 1, which was just too beet-y for my liking. I had no problem drinking it, but it just wasn’t my favorite. The other five juices were awesome, and I really want to recreate them at home in my own juicer, specifically Citrus 2 (pineapple, green apple, lemon, and mint), which was easily my favorite juice of the bunch. I actually bought a mint plant the other day so I can have fresh mint in my juice when I make it!

019

My first juice of the day was a delicious blend of kale, spinach, romaine, parsley, cucumber, celery, apple, lemon, and ginger, which was a lot like the green juice I make at home. It tasted great, and I was hungry, so I chugged it down.

011

Since my juice arrived so late in the morning and you’re supposed to drink a bottle every two hours or so, I started on my second bottle of juice about an hour later. By the time I got to the third bottle around lunchtime, I felt really good, and my hunger finally went away.

I kept busy that afternoon—working, blogging, cleaning the house—so I didn’t really think about food. When dinnertime rolled around, I wanted to eat, but I had two more juices to drink, so I sipped them slowly and enjoyed my evening. The final juice of the day was made with almond milk, so it was a lot more substantial and filled my stomach before heading to bed. It was also really tasty! Yay, I made it through Day 1!

Day 2

I woke up before my alarm went off feeling totally refreshed and rejuvenated. I also really had to pee from drinking all of that liquid the day before, so I was up and at ’em. You’re also suppose to drink water throughout the day during the juice cleanse, so there were a lot of trips to the bathroom. Anyway, I was excited to start Day 2.

After I drank my first juice, I headed to a yoga class. The Pressed Juicery recommends toning down your usual exercise regimen and keeping cardio to a minimum, so I only did one yoga class and took Murphy for a couple of long walks during my juice cleanse. After yoga, I ran some errands and then headed home to drink my second juice of the day.

yoga enlighten you

At this point, I felt really great. I was all zen after yoga and wasn’t very hungry. Well, a few hours later, things quickly changed… for the worse.

Around 3:00 PM, I started to crave solid food in a major way. Mal had just gotten home from school and was looking for something in the kitchen to snack on. I saw him munching on chips, and I really wanted to eat some. At this point, my hunger took over, almost to the point of “hangry” (hungry + angry), and I seriously considered quitting the cleanse and ordering Lime Leaf for dinner. I whined to Mal that I didn’t want to do the cleanse anymore, but he gave me a pep talk and eventually talked me off the ledge. Even after this words of encouragement, I was still pretty miserable, so I ate a couple of bites of guacamole and then grabbed the almond milk to drink early since it had some substance to it. Thankfully, it actually made me feel quite a bit better, and I was able to make it through the rest of the night with the final two juices and not wanting to quit. Day 2 done!

Day 3

Day 3 was by far the easiest day of the cleanse for me—probably because my body was getting used to drinking only juice, but also because I was super busy getting ready for my sister’s shower and didn’t have much time to think about food.

I drank my first three juices (two hours apart) before lunchtime. I ran around all afternoon long—running errands and setting up for the shower—so I didn’t break into juice #4 until almost dinnertime, which meant I still had two more juices to go. Drinking three juices over the course of 4-5 hours kept my stomach happy and my hunger at bay until I headed to bed. Knowing that I was in the home stretch of the juice cleanse also made it easier to finish. Hooray! I did it!

Post-cleanse

Pressed Juicery sent me an email with a recommended meal plan for the three days following my cleanse to help me slowly reintroduce certain foods back into my diet. The first day was all fruits and veggies, the second day was fruit and veggies with some whole grains mixed in, and, on the third day, you reintroduce meat and dairy. My sister’s shower was the day after I finished the juice cleanse, so I totally dropped the ball on following the meal plan from the Pressed Juicery. Enjoying the delicious brunch spread at my sister’s shower was totally worth it though. Now that it’s Monday, I am eating healthy, but not sticking to the Pressed Juicery diet.

The Good & The Bad

Ok, now that you’ve read all about my juice cleanse experience, here are some of the good and bad things about it.

The Good

• I’m motivated to stay on a healthy track. Juicing for three days basically “reset” my mind. Physically, I haven’t noticed too much of a difference—besides sleeping really well the past few nights. Mentally, however, I feel super motivated to stay on a healthy path. After spending so much time and energy (and money!) drinking nutrient-rich juice for three days, I don’t want to throw it all away by eating junk food or drinking my face off, for instance.
    • My colon had a chance to rest. Our bodies are used to breaking down and digesting food all day, every day, for years and years, so, hopefully, my colon appreciated a little break and maybe did some healing.
    • Easy, no prep required. It was really nice having three days of juice all planned out for me. I didn’t have to cook or prep anything—I just reached into the fridge and grabbed a juice. Having juice delivered to my front door from the Pressed Juicery made things so easy.

The Bad

• It was expensive. The 3-day juice cleanse from the Pressed Juicery was $200, so $67 a day. It’s not cheap. You could easily do a juice cleanse with your own juicer and fresh produce for a lot cheaper, but it would be a lot of work. Personally, I really liked having the already prepared juice. It made things so simple, and it was definitely worth the money for this reason. It’s hard enough getting through three days of drinking the juice; I couldn’t imagine needing to make it too!
    • It’s tough to workout. I definitely missed my regular workouts while I was doing the cleanse. My CrossFit box did “Fight Gone Bad” on Saturday, and I really wanted to do it, but I knew I wouldn’t have enough energy for it. I was bummed to miss it.
    • I was hungry and hangry. I’m a fan of eating and not a fan of being hungry. It makes me cranky. Simple as that. I love fresh juice, but I love eating more.

Overall, my juice cleanse was a positive experience, but I’m not sure it really did anything (besides motivate me to stay on a healthy track). I felt great the day after the cleanse ended, but I didn’t feel amazing like I thought I might after a 3-day juice cleanse. I noticed that I slept really well the last few nights and woke up feeling especially refreshed and well-rested, but, other than that, I didn’t notice anything else physically. I’m glad I tried a juice cleanse to see what it was all about, and, hopefully, it gave my colon a little time to rest and heal, but I don’t see myself doing another one anytime soon. I will, however, be drinking plenty of fresh juice. I really loved the Pressed Juicery juices, and they inspired me to experiment with my juicer at home. I’ll be sure to share the juice recipes that I come up with!

Questions of the Day

Have you ever tried a juice cleanse? If so, what was your experience? If not, is it something you would try?

Olivia April 29, 2013 at 7:26 pm

i thought you were against cleanses?

“I also think that if you treat your body right by feeding it nutritious foods (most of the time), drinking plenty of water, getting adequate sleep and exercise, your body will do a good job cleansing itself. Basically, my thinking is if you treat your body right, it will treat you right.”
    Read more at http://carrotsncake.com/2011/04/cleanses-or-not-to-cleanse.html#1QrQ5M4wRG8tTDSA.99

Tina April 29, 2013 at 7:36 pm

I wrote that post two years ago. Are you saying I can’t change my mind? I was also diagnosed with a chronic disease. Life changes.

Veronica May 2, 2013 at 3:40 pm

@Tina: I don’t think that’s what Olivia is saying at all. Lots of legit medical journals (like AMJ, I believe, is one) say that these cleanses are based on shady pseudoscience.

Whatever, that’s awesome if you feel good and got results. I, personally, just don’t think that starving yourself for three days proves anything.

Veronica May 2, 2013 at 3:41 pm

@Veronica: Whoops – I meant AJM – American Journal of Medicine.

hilda October 18, 2013 at 10:11 pm

@Veronica: veronica do a juice cleanse is not starving yourself get your facts straight if you do it correctly i have done a 30 day juice fast in the past and i never felt hungry i had 3 juices a day each juice was a litre and i drank heaps of water during the day

Sara @ sarasmiles April 29, 2013 at 7:32 pm

I’ve always been curious myself about doing a juice cleanse. I actually won a giveaway on Choosing Raw and got 6 pressed juices sent to me from Cooler Cleanse, and that would definitely be the way to go. It was so convenient! My best friend did a cleanse 3 days before her wedding and she was glowing, so maybe I would consider that, but otherwise, I don’t think it’s on my to-do list

Rebeka April 29, 2013 at 7:50 pm

I would love to try a juice cleanse, they’re just SO expensive that it’s hard to commit to, you know? I’m glad you had such a great experience with it.

Anneli April 29, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Very interesting. I don’t think I would spend the money on the juice, but, I would love the convenience of having them all ready to go like that. I’ve tried a 3 day Dr. Oz cleanse once. That only required using a blender to blend up fruit and vegetable smoothies. It was fine. I have done a 21 day cleanse. Basically you eliminate all processed foods, all sugar, caffeine, alcohol, and a variety of other fruits and vegetables that are common allergens or are known to cause inflammation in your body. Now that was a CLEANSE. I did feel good once I was into it and I felt great later. It really gave my liver a chance to heal and reset. Now I do mini cleanses probably twice a year to help get myself back on track eating healthy. The cleanse information is something I received from a doctor of natural medicine that I see once in a while. Thank you for the update on your experience!

Mandi April 29, 2013 at 8:09 pm

Two years ago I did a 30-day juice cleanse and loved it. The first three days were miserable but by day 5 I felt amazing and it was much easier to keep going. Socially it was a challenge, but it encouraged me to suggest outings with friends that were activity centered instead of food centered.

I did it with a friend/co-worker and that support was so important to keeping me going! I’ve done two five-day cleanses since and have recently been thinking about going for 30-days again.

Michelle April 29, 2013 at 8:27 pm

No coffee for 3 days??? That’s a deal breaker for me. Lol

Heather k April 29, 2013 at 8:31 pm

Sujajuice.com has a 3 day cleanse with 6 juices a day for $162

Jackie W April 29, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Thanks for this post Tina! I used to be really wary of clenses, but I think a three day one is a short enough period of time that I could commit. I also never thought of the benefit of giving your digestive system a break. I think the bonus to the fact that they’re so expensive, is that I would be MUCH less likely to “cheat” considering how much money I had invested into the process.

CL April 29, 2013 at 8:42 pm

I commend you, I don’t think I could do it.

Mel April 29, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Tina, I totally applaud you for trying something new in the name of health but as a clinical dietitian intern, I can’t restrain myself (lol) from urging you not to go through a critical time of healing without consuming enough protein. Protein is absolutely essential to healing. I spend practically half of my day calculating patients’ protein needs and encouraging their protein intake so that they can properly heal. Whether you have pressure ulcers, surgical wounds, an infection or a GI disorder that is associated with inflammation and damage you cannot adequately heal and rebuild tissue without enough protein. And you don’t want your body taking it from all of your hard-earned muscles either! But I’m not hating on fresh juice…I love making it myself! And that almond one sounds to die for!

Kim April 29, 2013 at 9:22 pm

That would be sweet to have the ready-made juices — the prep work and the “hangriness” factor (i am so going to start using that) are the hardest parts for me. I did a 7 day-cleanse twice before and I didn’t really get the clarity and energizing feeling that I had read might happen. It does give my brain a kind of psychological reset like you mentioned, just gets me on the healthy-eating frame of mind. I wish it wasn’t so expensive or I would totally go for the Pressed Juicery!

Caroline @ Broccoli Hut April 29, 2013 at 9:34 pm

This was so interesting to read! I’ve never done a juice cleanse but always been very curious about them. I really enjoyed reading through your experience.
    If I ever did a juice cleanse, I probably would buy the juices prepared like you did–that way I would be more likely to actually drink them and stay accountable! I hate wasting money!

Tina April 29, 2013 at 9:40 pm

That definitely helped me stick with it!

Becca April 29, 2013 at 10:58 pm

So funny! My roommate and I just did our first juice cleanse this past weekend! We did a DIY cleanse and made our own juices based off log a couple different websites and packaged bottle cleanses. I’m hooked, I loved my experience and plan on continuing to juice for a while (not as my only form of nutrition but add ‘em in more frequently). I’ll be writing a recap of my experience on my blog tomorrow! Beasydoesit.worpress.com

Debbie April 29, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Holey moley…$67 a day!!! I could not afford that. I know that the benefit of drinking fresh juice is for the enZymes. I have read that the enzymes dissipate after like 15 minutes. What does the company say about that? I guess even if the enzymes are not as potent it’s still pretty healthy so good for you. Whenever I have tried giving up all the things at once I should not consume I wind up with a raging migraine, like the time I had to do a juice fast prepping for an endoscopy. Other than being hangry, did you have any other negative symptoms?

Sarah April 29, 2013 at 11:21 pm

If You Don’t Mind Me Asking How Much Did The Cleanse Cost?

Cate April 30, 2013 at 9:34 am

@Sarah:

I think Tina said it cost $200/three days.

I commend you for doing the cleanse! I tried in February and could barely get down three of them. I also happened to get the stomach bug the same day. Ugh. I normally love cucumbers, but now I feel a little nauseated every time I smell them and think of the juices! Ha!

Gillian @ That's G April 30, 2013 at 12:20 am

Loved this post! I have driven by Pressed Juicery so many times and always wondered what it tasted like.

I recently sorta tried to do the Master Cleanse…but I got hangry in the late afternoon and called it quits the first day.

Monica April 30, 2013 at 12:46 am

I’ve been tempted to do a juice cleanse and I’ve read really good things about this one except that it is expensive. Maybe one day I’ll try it, but I’m worried about the “hangry” stage and those around me-lol! What I really want is for you to make me an iced coffee, yours always look so good!

Eryn April 30, 2013 at 12:57 am

I love cleanses. I have only done about two, but after I finish one I always feel amazing!

Peter @ MadForFit April 30, 2013 at 5:17 am

Interesting case study. Well done for sticking with it!

I’m all for adding more veg (not fruit) to your diet, and if you consume them through juices then fine.

If it kick starts a healthier lifestyle, then it’s a success!

Edmund April 30, 2013 at 5:45 am

That must have required a lot of discipline on your part. :) I probably wouldn’t try it because I get hungry easily, like every 3 hours or so.

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats April 30, 2013 at 5:55 am

Well done on doing the cleanse, I don’t know if I could do a juice cleanse.

There is a great documentary though called ‘Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead’ and the guy on that swears that just doing juice fasts saved him and his health.

sandra April 30, 2013 at 7:24 am

I have never tried a juice cleanse. Think I would get major cravings after and eat everything.. so guess that wouldnt be so good for my digestive system… so guess I am afraid to try it ;) I am therefore very impressed that you did it! And also glad you only did it for three days, I do not think it is “healthy” for a longer period. Anyways, just wanted to say great work!<3<3

sandra @ fitnessmotivation April 30, 2013 at 7:26 am

Also, I wanted to ask: Can you run with Murphy ? I want to get a dog that I can run with, do you know a good race?

Tina April 30, 2013 at 8:14 am

Sort of. It’s like a run-walk. He can run for a few minutes, but then he gets tired (or distracted) and walks. We did a Pug 5K in Boston a couple of years ago: http://carrotsncake.com/2011/06/pug-5k.html. If you search coolrunning.com, you can probably find some dog-friendly races in your area.

Sara April 30, 2013 at 1:13 pm

@Tina:

My understanding is flatnose breeds shouldn’t run (long distances/sustained running) with people since they have a lot of predisposition to trouble with breathing (hence snoring/snorting etc). So people should be VERY cautious, especially in anything that resembles heat, they have a very hard time cooling down.

Elizabeth @ Positive Change April 30, 2013 at 9:19 am

I would love to try a juice a cleanse. Like you, I had a life altering change happen, and found that I am very sensitive to gluten. I think a cleanse would be beneficial to clean out my inside and mentally help as well. Have you ever considered a cleanse where you use your own juices? I eat super clean, but do you think there is a difference between the cleanse you bought and a cleanse you could make your self?

Tina April 30, 2013 at 9:32 am

I mean, if you made your own juices, you’d have control over what went into them and how they tasted, but, personally, I was all about the pre-made juices. It made life so much easier!

Abby April 30, 2013 at 9:28 am

I really appreciate your honesty with this post! It seems like every blogger who does a juice cleanse raves about it and makes it seem like a miracle in terms of energy, health, etc. I’ve always been skeptical because 1. I NEED to eat regularly and 2. If you do eat healthfully normally, you’re already getting the nutrients you need anyway. I think most people probably hype up the cleanses because they are trendy and cool. Thanks for being honest in your review!

eliza April 30, 2013 at 10:38 am

I am awful at cleanses.. hahaa
    congrats

Annette April 30, 2013 at 10:38 am

Thanks for the info…I’ve never done a juice cleanse, but I’ve looked into them a few times. I would also pick the pre-made juices because if I start to get hungry, I need something in my belly ASAP, I wouldn’t have the patience to make my own juice..that would just make me bitter :) Do you think that maybe you didnt notice a HUGE change because you eat pretty clean already? I think someone who’s a total junk food junkie would probably notice a bigger difference and feel AMAZEBALLS after eliminating that crap from their system for 3 days. Either way, I think it’s a great idea to give your diegestive system a little bit of a break.

Megan April 30, 2013 at 11:11 am

Thank you for the honest recap of your juice cleanse. It seems to me that so many bloggers glorify juice cleanses like they are the only way to “cleanse” and if you don’t juice then you are not doing your body any good. Plus they make it seem like it’s the easiest thing in the world and if you can’t make it through one then something must be wrong with you. It’s quite refreshing to hear that there are good and bad parts to juicing. I also feel like you made a very good point that in order to cleanse you don’t have to give up food. There are healthful ways to get back on a healthy diet without ditching three square meals a day.

I personally would be that “hangry” person. Food and I, well we just get along too well to be separated for so long. :)

Michelle M April 30, 2013 at 11:29 am

I decided to try the Dr.Oz 3 day cleanse a few weeks ago and completely unrelated to the cleanse ended up in the ER with a bout of acute colitis. Needless to say, the thought of all those fruits and veggies in a drink form really gross me out now. I’m hoping one day that will change, but I don’t think it’ll be anytime soon.

Steph April 30, 2013 at 11:36 am

My friend and I were JUST talking about doing a juice cleanse. Your insight was really helpful. 3 days with no munchies- eek!

Nicole April 30, 2013 at 12:58 pm

I’m impressed that you made it through/stuck with it. I would’ve been “hungry” after about 2 hours :)

Shannon April 30, 2013 at 10:26 pm

Congrats on the cleanse! I did a juice cleanse for the first time recently too and quit on the morning of the third day. I was hangry and had a headache the whole time. By the third day it just felt mean. Not for me! Glad I finally tried a cleanse though!

Morgan@Healthy Food Newsletter May 1, 2013 at 12:49 pm

I have never tried a juice cleanse, but my friend and her co-workers did one a few weeks ago. It wasn’t one of these juice cleanses, but the one that has lemon water with maple syrup and cayenne? It is a weird one. Anyway, all of the ladies in her office lost about 5 pounds for not eating for a few days and gained it all back instantly. Juice cleanses may sound appealing, but I feel like they are more work than what results you get!

Kim May 1, 2013 at 9:27 pm

You mentioned that all the juices really did for you was inspire you to be on a healthy track. Did you not loose any weight from the cleanse?

Tina May 1, 2013 at 9:57 pm

I’m not sure. I didn’t weigh myself before or after the cleanse. Weight loss wasn’t my motivation.

Beth May 5, 2013 at 9:01 am

I used to do the Master Cleanse pretty often and have probably done it about 8 times total. It was tough but I felt great most of the time. However, it turned into something bordering on an eating disorder for me. I would binge knowing that I could “fix” it and control everything by following it with a cleanse. So it became a pattern of essentially binging and purging by cleansing. There’s an article in this month’s Marie Claire that talks about exactly this. I’m always tempted to cleanse again, and just reading this made me excited to do so, but it’s a very slippery slope for me and may be for others.

AJ May 6, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Great info! I would really like to do a juice cleanse, but I don’t know if I could give up working out for 3 days! Maybe I will do it closer to my sister’s wedding to really try to slim down. Thanks for the play-by-play!

-AJ
    FitTravelerAJ.com

Jackie W May 7, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Now that it’s been a bit since your cleanse, have you noticed any decreased sugar cravings? Benefits in terms of digestive health? Just wondering, a check in post would be great.

Lindsay May 13, 2013 at 5:58 pm

I did several juice cleanses when I was planning my wedding last year (3 days, 5 days, and some quick 1 day cleanses) and I was feeling great! Recently I have been having some GI issues and had to go on some strong antibiotics. I told my doctor I want to go back to juicing and he said a 3 day cleanse would be a great way to help heal. I too worry about not getting enough protein while cleansing so he gave me some amino acid pills to help retain muscle mass while I’m on the cleanse. It’s called SON Formula.

I am on day one of my cleanse now and it’s 3pm. So far so good. You did a great recap on your cleanse and I hope I can do one on my site that’s as good as yours! Thanks for posting this. Reading it gave me more motivation!

Lindsay

Ann May 21, 2013 at 2:20 pm

I’m doing a juice cleanse now as I write! It’s a 5 day clleanse and I’m on day 2. I am finding it tough to finish the 6 drinks included but I’m trying to time it better. It’s not as hard as I thought it would be, guess it’s a mindset. Can’t hurt to eliminate all of those toxins from my body for 5 days. Coffee isn’t an issue as I usually only have one cup in the morning. Nothing social planned this week so that’s easy too. Definitely looking for a good jumpstart to summer!

Celeste June 4, 2013 at 8:23 pm

Very helpful and informative. I wanted to try this and will AFTER I return from 10 days of working in Las Vegas…I will need a total Cleanse!

Jen July 12, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Hi Tina! I was searching the web for juice cleanses because I’m starting mine tomorrow. I, too, was diagnosed with a chronic illness (in my case, it’s AIH). I was wondering if you felt any positive effects from juicing on some of the symptoms of your illness/side effects from the drugs. I’m currently on a corticosteroid and have the puffy cheeks and would absolutely love them to go away! Thank you :)

Tina July 13, 2013 at 9:29 am

Sadly, no. I love juicing because it provides my body with tons of easily-digestible nutrients, but it hasn’t done anything for my UC symptoms. I hope you feel better!

Lorin July 16, 2013 at 1:20 am

My house hosts couch surfers (we’re in college) and one of the couch surfers is in charge of gaining more customers (more large companies) for pressed juice! So funny that I just met him this past weekend and stumbled upon this older post.

tanya July 16, 2013 at 7:24 pm

hey! So I’m on day 2 of doing a cleanse called Rawpothecary (NY based company.) The company hypes itself for “the pulp and skin are in”, so some of the juices have more of a smoothie consistency (which makes some of the green juices a bit hard to take down.) Anyway, I realized I don’t really have a post-cleanse meal plan of easing my way back into “normal food.” Do you have any suggestions?

Dave July 28, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Thanks for sharing your juicing experiences. I’m also considering to do something similar and your thoughts help me a lot. I think you didn’t get all the vitamins and minerals from the Pressed Juicery juices as you may get with your own squeezed juices. Maybe because of it you didn’t feel amazing like you thought. I’m going to do all my juices by myself. I prefer to do all of them before my cleanse, but don’t know how to save them properly. But I’m happy you didn’t give up!

Stephanie October 22, 2013 at 9:55 am

I just did some research and started my juice cleanse today. I opted to make it myself. 3 days worth of fresh produce cost me $68.00 and it took me an hour last night preping for my first day. Yes it was a lot of work but I got the kids involved and they loved tasting the different juices and watching the colors. Some they thought were pretty gross. All in all it wasnt that bad to make it myself.

Wish me luck

ROBOTAMAZON February 15, 2014 at 6:34 pm

@Stephanie:

May I ask, was the $68 for just you alone on a 3-day cleanse? Because you can buy a 3-day cleanse for $75, and with all the work that concerns me the cost is that high

Cecilia November 7, 2013 at 10:25 am

I am just concluding my 3-day juice cleanse. I loved the cleanse and actually only had about 3.5 juices a day. For me, 6 juices a day is way too much!

Here is my blog post about my cleanse. I am currently writing a results/review post.

Check it out!!

ROBOTAMAZON February 15, 2014 at 5:45 pm

I was actually curious – you posted the items that go into the juice, but you said you recreated them too – do you have a shopping list or recipe list for the amounts that go into each one? I’m starting to juice on a regular basis and these sounded amazing to add in. Kudos by the way.

Vanessa February 22, 2014 at 2:38 pm

During the cleanse, did you have any bowel movements?

Bo Wong March 3, 2014 at 7:51 am

Hi,

I’m on Day 10 of my juice cleanse and feel pretty amazing! My aim is to inspire others to do the same :) I’ve been so busy, been doing my normal gym workouts and the first three days are the worse you have to get over. I’m going to keep going as it seems really easy and my body and mind are loving it! I’ve lost 5Kgs so far and it’s also winter here, so if I can do anyone can. I have two of my guy friends doing it to that have never done one and they are also feeling great. One even sent me a message last night saying he had a random burst of energy and had to do dance do chin ups and pushups to get it out. You can read my 10 day blog here http://myorganiclife.info/featured/10-day-juicing-cleanse/ and along with your insightful article it might get others to give it a go :)

jen September 8, 2014 at 7:43 pm

Thanks for this! I’m on day 1 of a 3-day cleanse and just got back from CrossFit. I feel surprisingly good, but am nervous I’ll be too hungry to sleep.