• Flip Flop Weather

April 9, 2013

Hooray! It is finally flip flop weather here in southern Massachusetts. As soon as the temperature hit the mid-60s yesterday afternoon, I broke ’em out for the season!

017 (600x450)

Beautiful spring weather also means grilling outside on the back porch.

023 (450x600)

Last night, Mal grilled up a piece of black cod with a maple-mustard-soy sauce marinade.

018 (450x600)

Meanwhile, I cooked up some risotto and green beans inside. (I bought this box of risotto months ago and then randomly found it in the trunk of my car last weekend. I guess it fell out of my grocery bags without me knowing it?)

011 (450x600)

A little while later, dinner was served.

031 (600x450)

Delicious!

029 (600x450)

Mal and I ended up sitting outside for quite awhile chatting, so I grabbed a blanket off of the couch to keep me warm. (Please note: the blanket is the same color as Murphy. The pug owners know why.)

034 (600x450)

Eventually, we came inside, and I ate a couple of Paleo chocolate chips cookies while we watched TV. Mmm! Best cookie recipe ever.

038 (600x450)

Health News & Views

No time to get to the gym? No problem! You don’t need a gym full of fancy equipment to get in shape. For $50 or less, you can get enough gear for a total body workout at home. The key is choosing pieces that are not only effective, but work multiple body parts at once, so you maximize your workout. Here are 3 pieces of equipment to add to your home gym!

How to Create a Home Gym for $50 or Less

The Primal Life Kit

Today is your last chance to take advantage of the AMAZING deal on The Primal Life Kit. (The deal ends tonight at midnight EST.) You get ALL OF THIS for just $39! It’s a crazy-awesome deal!

Paleo_eBookAd_443x443_B (443x443)

Questions of the Day

Is it flip flop weather where you are? How often do you wear flip flops?

How often do you workout at home? What are you favorite pieces of equipment for at-home workouts?

Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness April 9, 2013 at 11:42 am

I’m so excited for flip flop weather! The second I put my snow boots away, the flip flops come out :) I wait for summer all year long!

Corrie Anne April 9, 2013 at 11:44 am

Haha in Denver I wore flip flops yesterday, but today we have a snow day! Yay no school!

Jessica l Food Wine Fashion April 9, 2013 at 11:17 pm

@Corrie Anne:

In Denver here as well! Hopefully we’re back to that beautiful weather by this weekend!

xxoo – jessica

Lindsay April 9, 2013 at 11:44 am

I love working out at home after work. I usually only use hand weights and stick to bodyweight exercises, but I REALLY want a TRX system. I heard it’s such a great workout.

Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 9, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Our weather in Atlanta has finally warmed up this week, as well! It is definitely moving into flip flop weather, and I am super excited about it!

Amy @ Healthy and Fit for Real April 9, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Boo! 6-12 inches of SNOW in Minnesota today through Thursday. I wish it was flip-flop weather here….

Beth Sheridan April 9, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Since I’m on vacation in Florida this week, it is DEFINITELY flip flop weather here, woo hoo!! However, we’ve been watching the weather at home in West KY too and it’s been quite warm there too, so I’m super excited about being home for flip flop weather too :)

My favorite exercise at home or in a hotel room are tricep chair dips. Always a killer for me and very effective!

Jeanie @Breakfast for Dinner April 9, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Weather just south of bean town is QUITE warm! I have the windows open in my classroom today to enjoy the sunshine and breeze! I can’t wait to run my virtual 5k today. The weather is IDEAL for a run.
    I love having an ab ball, bands, and a few free weights and a foam roller at home. You can do a lot with these small items, they tuck away neatly. I actually have a ottoman in my living room that hold all these items.

Drea April 9, 2013 at 12:22 pm

82 here today in Charlotte, NC! Wear my Chacos till Thanksgiving pretty much!

Sara Flynn April 9, 2013 at 12:25 pm

I am so happy its flip flop weather as well. AND Ice Coffee weather, speaking of which I am going to have to go for a walk and get one right now on my lunch break! Happy Nice Weather in Massachusetts! Ya!

Mommypage April 9, 2013 at 1:42 pm

That looks like such a beautiful day. I can’t believe you are wearing flip flops in Massachusetts! You are lucky! Spring has been gorgeous this year!

Shel@PeachyPalate April 9, 2013 at 2:00 pm

I workout at home twice a week when the gym opens late and I’m going to spin! Actually going to try your At Home Chipper tomorrow and I’m a big fan of the ZWOW workouts! I love wearing flip flops…hopefully we get the temps for them here soon! Hard to imagine at the moment! Still going around with woolly hats, thick socks and boots!

Miranda @ Miranda Runs April 9, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Still not flip flop weather here in Seattle. It’s about 50 degrees right now… I miss the sun!

Andrea April 9, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Oh how I wish Minnesota was that warm! We are about to get hit with another snow storm. So not cool, Mother Nature! I like the color of your toe nails, by the way. Super spring-y!

Katie Thieman@ SarcasticallyKatie April 9, 2013 at 3:16 pm

I’m very jealous! It is still pretty chilly and rainy in MI :(

Coco April 9, 2013 at 3:29 pm

I made paleo chocolate chip cookies for the first time last night.. and they are so YUM! I tried a different recipe (because I didn’t have everything for that one) and they came out great.. I’m looking forward to trying these out too!

Kendall April 9, 2013 at 3:33 pm

I am loving this weather! We needed it! the cookies look delicious!!

Kelly@BalancedDaily April 9, 2013 at 3:55 pm

The weather is awesome in Massachusetts! I just moved back here from Tampa, Florida last weekend at the perfect time of year- its soon to be too hot and humid in Tampa, and the weather in Mass is just getting awesome. There really is nothing better than making a great meal and eating on the back porch with good company.

Erin @ The Elliptical Chronicles April 9, 2013 at 4:37 pm

It’s finally flip-flop weather here (Harrisburg, PA) too! I LOVE wearing flip-flops and ballet flats.

I used to workout at home more often because I had left my gym, but we moved and I joined another gym, so I don’t work out at home as much. I still have my adjustable dumbbell kit and yoga mat (and yoga blocks) and ankle weights and stability ball that I use a couple times per week, though.

Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 9, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Amen, sister soultrain — flip flop weather is the best! I’ve been excited about this for weeks and weeks, and I’m thrilled that it’s finally here. :) Your dinner sounds amazing — made even more so by the fact that you got to eat outside. Happy flip-flop wearing and outdoor grilling!

Tina April 9, 2013 at 6:11 pm

I live in OHIO and I wear flip flops year round – no joke. Unless there’s snow or ice on the ground, in which case I do wear regular shoes out to my car, but then flip flops to drive. I just love them – they’re so comfortable! It will be zero degrees out, and I’ll be running errands in flip flops. I guess I’m crazy, but at least I’m comfortable! :)

Amelia April 9, 2013 at 6:14 pm

In our neck of the woods when the weather hits mid-60’s we put our flip flops AWAY! Hahaha! Complete wimps over here :) But I remember well how much I loved those spring temps when I lived in Boston. Enjoy!

Aurora@Fitness is Sweet April 9, 2013 at 6:24 pm

I live in California, so my whole school lives in flip-flops year round!

Ashley April 9, 2013 at 6:42 pm

I live in LA so it’s always flip flop weather! My favorite at home workouts need just sneakers and a mat. Usually when I workout without a gym I run and then do an at home circuit with variations on situps, planks, push ups, etc.

Elisabeth April 9, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Flip flop weather just started here in Ohio, too! I love it! I wear either Birkenstocks or Reef flip flops as often as I can. I definitely need to move somewhere that’s FF weather 365 days a year :)

Vicki April 9, 2013 at 7:35 pm

Flip flop weather here in Philly! Hit the 80’s today :)

As far as at home gear, I love my free weights and weighted bar which definitely add some extra resistance for squats, lunges etc…

BroccoliHut April 9, 2013 at 8:12 pm

It’s definitely flip-flop weather here in North Carolina–it reached 86 degrees today! Crazy, right? Particularly considering how cold it was last week.
    We spent some time chatting on the porch after dinner tonight too. Can’t wait for summer!

Emily April 9, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Yes! Today is finally flip-flop weather here :) Or as I like to call it, roof top sunbathing weather!

Audrey @ In Shape Cupcake April 9, 2013 at 8:34 pm

I envy your day! Cod is yummy, sitting on the porch in the sun WITH flip flop weather is the best, and those cookies are making my mouth water. Looks like you had a great day :)
    It is now officially flip flop weather over here. Its been hitting 80 degrees for the high. Awesomeness.

Shannon April 9, 2013 at 9:24 pm

I live in South Florida and mid-60’s is When I break out the Uggs and put away the flip flops. LOL :)

Katy April 9, 2013 at 10:29 pm

Your dinner looks sooo delicious! I cannot wait for flip flop weather. My husband has already made the switch, but I need consistent 70 degree weather before I make the transition. :-)

AJ April 9, 2013 at 10:47 pm

WOOHOO for flip flop weather! It was warm enough to break out the flip flops this weekend in my neck of the woods too, but this girl needs a new pedicure first! Your dinner looks delish!

-AJ
    FitTravelerAJ.com

Karen :0) April 9, 2013 at 10:47 pm

YAY for flip flop weather! So glad y’all are seeing sunshine! :0)

Michelle (The Runner's Plate) April 9, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Definitely not flip flop weather here–Anchorage, AK. We just got a foot of snow yesterday!

Tami April 9, 2013 at 11:35 pm

In addition to the blanket being the same color as Murphy, don’t forget lint rollers.
    Lol! We go through tons of them

Annette April 10, 2013 at 9:51 am

I love flip-flops! Which is still weird for me to say because I only started wearing them about 10 years ago, before that I couldn’t understand how people could stand having something between their toes.

I work out at home six days a week. I have kettlebells, dumb bells, resistance bands and a collection of DVDs. I also run a little. Currently I am in the last phase of Jillian Michael’s 90 Day Body Revolution. I have a few other of her workouts, Bob Harper, Denise Austin, Leslie Sansone WAH, Billy Blanks, Biggest Loser workouts and fitness for the xBox and Wii. We have a Tour de France bike that my husband uses and a TRX system, but no place to set it up. My husband does P90X, P90X2, Insanity, Insanity Asylum and Les Mills’ Combat. We like to mix it up to keep it interesting.

Maureen April 10, 2013 at 1:26 pm

It is totally flipflop weather here in CA! But that also means it’s allergy weather…boo!

Morgan@Healthy Food Newsletter April 10, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Unfortunately it is flip flop weather here all year round! I live in FL and I wish the wonderful winter weather was still around, it is 94 degrees outside and I don’t have central air conditioning in my apartment (oh, college living). I also tried that Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe last time you posted it, it’s to die for!

Tina April 10, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Those are the best cookies ever! :)

lynn @ the actor's diet April 10, 2013 at 9:13 pm

surprisingly, it just became flip flop weather in LA today – i’ve been hiding my pedicure for weeks!

absolute health training April 11, 2013 at 10:16 am

That was such a wonderful day. Thanks for sharing that wonderful entry. :)

Caitlin April 13, 2013 at 8:11 pm

It’s basically always flip-flop weather in CA :)