• CNC Meal Plan: Week of March 31 {Jell-O & Gatorade}

April 1, 2013

Hi, friends! Happy Monday!

This week’s meal plan is a little weird because I can’t eat on Wednesday, and I’m not sure what I’ll be able to eat on Thursday after my colonoscopy. Mal still plans to eat, so I shopped for the ingredients needed for those meals, but I won’t be partaking.

In preparation for my colonoscopy, I’m only allow to consume a liquid diet—no solids—which means I’m going to die. Seriously, I am dreading it. As I always say to Mal, I’m not good at not eating, so I’m obviously not looking forward to Wednesday. I guess I’m going to have to find ways to distract myself for those 24 hours, huh? I’m allowed to have clear liquids you can see through, such as water, tea, black coffee (not sure how this is clear, but the packet of info I got from my doctor’s office said it was okay), apple juice, clear broth, Gatorade, white grape juice, soda, and Jell-O (as long as it’s not red). Obviously, Wednesday is going to be an interesting day of eats for me!

Here’s this week’s meal plan:

• Sunday: Ham sandwiches and Brussels sprouts
    • Monday: Skillet Sweet Potato, Sausage, and Spinach Hash
    • Tuesday: Shrimp Stir Fry with rice
    • Wednesday: American Chop Suey
    • Thursday: Avocado chicken salad sandwiches
    • Friday: Out to dinner
    • Saturday: Party

045

For those of you who have had a colonoscopy, any advice for me? Anything I should know?

zahra April 1, 2013 at 10:35 am

The prep is the worst part. The stuff they make you drink is terrible. It made me throw up. The actual procedure is ok as long as you are sedated (first time I was pregnant so they didn’t sedate me, it was awful!) The pictures they will show you after are really cool.
    Do you know what causes your colitis? Mine is caused by salicylates. There is research on the topic (check out pub-med) The GI doctors never brought it up to me, I discovered it from my own research. I eat a low salicylate diet (it sucks) but it gave me remission, when the prednisone would not. Just something to look into if you haven’t.

Meghan @ After the Ivy League April 1, 2013 at 10:37 am

Eek best of luck with our colonoscopy this week! I hope everything goes well!

Beth Sheridan April 1, 2013 at 10:43 am

I’ve never had one, but I’ve always heard the prep stuff really is the worst part. Good luck!

Emma April 1, 2013 at 10:54 am

I am 32 and I have had 2 colonoscopies and I have to go backe every 2 years b/c I have a family history of colon cancer…my mom passed away from it when she was 48. The prep is definitely the worst part but I got to drink gatorade mixed with Miralax as opposed to the white thick liquid… I am grateful but I still can’t drink gatorade other than having to prep for colonoscopies. You can actually eat a regular meal as soon you are finished but it depends on how you react to the anesthesia, I am nauseaous for the rest of the day and can’t eat until the following day but everyone is different. It’s really quick, you won’t feel anything but you will be starving by the time it’s all over. I hope everything goes well…good luck.

Beks April 1, 2013 at 11:01 am

My mom has had two. She says to make sure the stuff they make you drink so many hours before the procedure is a flavor you like. I think she got pineapple this last time, and thought it was tasty. Also, stay close to a bathroom during that time. When it was over, my dad took her out for a big dinner. LOL
    Good luck and remember, it’s only a day. Have Mal take you out to a favorite restaurant when it’s over.

Elizabeth April 1, 2013 at 11:06 am

Start cutting out Fiber now. I had one recently and my doctor had me cut out fiber 5 days before the test. I don’t know if it helped or not, but it couldn’t have hurt! And start the prep on the early side (instead of 6 pm the night before, I started at 5 and probably should have started earlier).

Kitchen Basics chicken stock is better than Rachel Ray’s. As an FYI.

Kelsey M. April 1, 2013 at 11:19 am

I’ve had two colonoscopy’s in my life. Not fun, I know! I would recommend drinking hot liquids. I did chicken broth and beef broth. They were boiling hot, warmed my stomach, and made me feel a LOT better than cold liquids. The broths also kept my salt up so I was well hydrated. I absolutely hate Jell-O, so I didn’t eat that. I had plenty of Gatorade, broth, and water.
    As for the nasty stuff you have to drink to prep. I was able to put those little packets of Crystal Lite in them (one packet for every 32 oz. of water). Make sure you don’t over do it if you decide to do that! I put too many in my first container and OMG, it was nasty!! Make sure you get some sensitive baby wipes, too!
    Good luck! Everything will work out just fine.

carol keefe April 1, 2013 at 11:26 am

I have had two as well and the prep is the worst part. I drank mirilax with crystal light lemonade and it was fine…if your stomach and gi tract already pass things quickly…the stuff will work quickly too…imo the only saving grace about having a “funny” stomach. I always felt fine just after the procedure and as others say you will be hungry!! Good luck!!

Liz April 1, 2013 at 11:32 am

Chicken broth is a lifesaver! It’s the only food-like thing I could eat…you get sick of Popsicles and jello and Italian ice really quickly. I drank cups upon cups of broth! The a rial procedure is fine…maybe even relaxing!

Ginny April 1, 2013 at 11:43 am

One more tip-use a straw to drink the miralax stuff…it really really helps it go down. Also b/c I get quesy easy my DOc gave me an anti naseua pill to take about one hour before I started taking the miralax. You will be so busy getting all the stuff down that you honestly will not really feel super hungry Eat lite today and Tuesday…it helps Wed go better! Don’t go hungry but just eat easy things like omelets and oatmeal. Praying for a smooth procedure for you! Love your website you help me so much!

Erica @ Love the Leap April 1, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Pretty much what everyone has said is accurate! I would add not to workout too hard at the beginning of the week so your body isn’t going insane from no food! For my procedure, they told me I could have a light breakfast the morning before and then to fast the rest of the day– if I could go back, I wouldn’t have had ANYTHING. I was in the bathroom every hour on the hour starting at 5pm that day and into the morning of my procedure. It wasn’t fun at all. I mixed my miralax with crystal light and it was fine– but now I can’t drink crystal light without getting nauseous haha. Good luck on Wednesday– the actual procedure is the easiest part :)

Shannon April 1, 2013 at 12:16 pm

I had a colonoscopy a few years ago and I don’t remember after the procedure being an issue with food. BEFORE the procedure, DO NOT plan on leaving your house while you’re doing the prep. When people say that’s the worst part about it, they are not lying!
    You’ll be fine and it will go fast. I took the day before just to rest and hang out, maybe get some sappy chick flicks and just enjoy a quiet day :).

Tichina April 1, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Hey Tina,

I’ve been having those procedures once a year since I was 8 so something like 14-15 years now.. and I can only say you will learn what works best for you! Everyone is different :). I still get majorrrr anxiety when I can’t eat so I’ve developed some of my own tricks to keep it at bay haha. First of all, I plan the day to the brim, usually pick up a project to do, collect seasons of my favorite show etc. It’s sort of a known thing that we paint a room in our house every year on the day I fast lol. And keep all of your housework to that day as well if you like! As for that week.. I definitely find it useful to knock off the hardcore workouts about 2 days prior and I don’t work out that day. I used to think I was making it easier on myself by “eating light” a day or two before but in all honesty now that I’ve tried eating normally, I find either way makes no difference. The pills work in the same way regardless- eating light or eating normally they still force to you be a fixture of the bathroom for about 12 hours haha. Now, I have a sensible snack the night before and the recommended breakfast on that day…and my hunger is significantly less severe. Honestly, the day off is a walk in the park. They understand people are anxious and it’s not a pleasant thing, so they give you proper medication to ensure you’re comfortable. Sorry for my ramblings Tina! And you’ll be in my thoughts this week :)

Tichina

Melissa C April 1, 2013 at 12:46 pm

The prep is by far the worst part. I definitely suggest using a heating pad on your stomach….. For me it helped alleviate cramping and pain. And I would take it easy with eating after. Easier, softer foods definitely feel better on the stomach at first. But all in all it’s over before you know it.

Megan April 1, 2013 at 12:58 pm

The prep stinks! Get yourself a good book and set up camp in the bathroom :) if your prep is drinking Mag Citrate, put it over ice and drink it with a straw as quickly as you can’t – it’s like salty sprite.

Megan April 1, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Andrea D. April 1, 2013 at 1:09 pm

All I know is that I feel that I am a stronger person now that I have survived a colonoscopy prep! haha… on the day before I had to work 6 hours which was a little horrible since I didn’t have any food for energy but it kept my mind off of eating a little bit! I feasted on pineapple jell-o and blue powerade and diet coke for energy allll day. I was mostly mad because I COULDN’T eat and that I had to drink the nasty suprep liquid to have fun in the bathroom for hours on end. But I remember that it was the most refreshing feeling after everything was over because I was doped up on drugs and I got to eat a Jimmy John’s turkey tom with avocado… um I have had some drunk nights in college where we got Jimmy John’s late at night but THIS time was better than all of the rest. The prep is horrible but you will feel soooo good when it’s over and hopefully they have some answers for you… I’ll be thinkin of ya :) Good luck !

Morgan@Healthy Food Newsletter April 1, 2013 at 1:12 pm

Ouch, I’ve never had a colonoscopy before but I wish you the best of luck!

Tory April 1, 2013 at 1:14 pm

I had to have a colonoscopy last summer (ulcerative colitis) and I was so nervous! But you need to know it’s not bad at all!! Even the day before of “prep” was not as bad for me as I had heard. The buildup of it all was definitely worse than the real thing. Also, I was pretty much out of it the rest of the day so I would suggest having someone with you all day, to make food, etc. I only felt like eating jello and soup still. I was a little bit sore the next day, but not bad at all. And I’m so glad I did it because we figured out the issue and got me some medicine. I’ve been so much better ever since. Good luck!!!

Chris April 1, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Hey Tina. I just had one, and had plenty throughout my life. I had 2 polyps already and i just turned 31. I have IBS really bad too and go for one just about every year. If i can offer some advie, take the osmoprep, not the drinking prep. You have to take a lot of large, horse pills i call them haha, but it is much easier than the drinking part and if your doctor will allow it works great. I actually ate all the way up to the night before my test, but just kept it light because I too and not good at not eating. I am hypoglycemic so get dizzy if I dont eat, so I consumed light meals and my doctor said alright as long as liquid where it can pass easier when prepping. I had broth with some tofu, jello, coconut water shakes I made by blending with ice, so like a yummy shake. Within minutes of starting the pills I moved my bowels and by the next morning, my test was 6AM, i literally emptied everything i consumed the night before. The doctor said my colon was empty 100% and one of the reasons why I was having the colonoscopy was because I wasnt moving my bowels for weeks. We thought a blockage, but found another polyp.

Hopefully all goes well…best of luck.

Caitlin April 1, 2013 at 2:21 pm

I was terrified of my colonoscopy prep, and dreading the not eating part especially because I have a history of an eating disorder! I’m telling you right now though, the worst part was drinking the prep liquid. Once you do that, you will be fine, I promise…it doesn’t taste horrible (at least the lemon flavor one I had didn’t), but just getting it all down especially knowing what it was going to do was the hardest part for me. Just rest, watch lots of movies, have a bunch of chicken broth and jello, eating as often as you like. Also, I was allowed to have hard candies that weren’t red, so that helped a lot! Gingins helped ease my belly a little bit. And the procedure itself is a piece of cake-I hope they get you some answers!!

Emily April 1, 2013 at 3:04 pm

I’ve never had a colonoscopy but I’m with you on the not doing well with not eating. But it’s only for one day, and then it’s over!

amanda April 1, 2013 at 3:09 pm

I have Crohns and have had a few colonoscopies and a surgery where I had to do a 24 clear liquid prep… The not eating part isn’t too difficult, it’s the horrible stuff you have to drink that is! My recommendation is to drink the stuff straight, just hold your nose and CHUG. The first time I had to do it, I mixed it with different juices and it honestly has ruined those juices for me (12 years later!). The procedure isn’t bad at all, you won’t remember a thing, and it’s very light anesthesia. You’ll feel fine within a few hours, I usually want a big late breakfast :)
    Good luck!

beth may April 1, 2013 at 4:31 pm

Hi Tina,
    Best of luck on Wednesday. I’ve been reading your blog for about 3 years now and you’ve really inspired me to eat better and work out more with weights.

I have had my own digestive struggles this past year and wanted to recommend a new probiotic I just started taking and have noticed a difference. It’s called Prescript-Assist.

I learned about it on a chris kresser podcast. I don’t know much about colitis and probiotic use but it might be worth looking into.

Good Luck!

Tina April 1, 2013 at 4:47 pm

Chris Kressler is the man! I love his podcasts! I will definitely check out that probiotic. Thank you!

Thanks for the well wishes too! :)

Karen April 1, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Hey girl! I am a RN and you should be fine to eat whatever on Thursday after the procedure. The only reason you wouldn’t be able to is if the sedative they give you makes you feel funky, but otherwise you should be fine! Good luck and I’m hoping the results are useful for you!

Tina April 1, 2013 at 5:29 pm

Thank you! :)

Lauren April 1, 2013 at 5:24 pm

Eesh I’m sure not eating solids will be hard. I hope everything goes well and you eat all the foods you want on Thursday :-)

Suzanne April 1, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Good luck, hope you get some resolution or answers…

laura April 1, 2013 at 5:52 pm

I’ve had a few colonoscopies and, once you’re ready, they are so much better than sigmoidoscopies since you’re knocked out…..If you wanted to splurge, you can also use coffee-mate in your coffee. I always use it before my colonoscopies. It’s so good. Plus the coffee curbed my appetite. You’ll only be hungry till you start your prep – then you won’t want to eat, probably until way after your colonoscopy is finished. They pump a lot of air into your intestines so it really takes away your appetite. I remember I was so excited to eat and then when I could I just went to sleep instead!
    Also, if you do Miralax, swap out different liquids. I used a bunch of different Gatorades and I think even some diet Sprite – not the best thing to drink but nice when you have so much gross stuff in you. Any prep is going to be awful – not because of the different methods or taste but mostly because your stomach is just going to feel so full.
    Anyway, good luck!

Tina April 1, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Thank you! :)

Angie April 1, 2013 at 6:15 pm

I think honesty the best thing for me when I had prep was doing Sitz baths (small amount of hot water in bathtub and soaking) and using sensitive baby wipes…because it gets pretty painful after “prepping” all day. That was the WORST part for me.

Nancy April 1, 2013 at 6:32 pm

I had one last summer when my doctors were trying to figure out why I had a severe iron deficiency. Turns out it was an absorption issue for me and not any internal bleeding. I still had to get the colonoscopy to find that out though, so I can only speak from my experience.

You have good prep foods. I had the same rules; lots of clear liquids, clear Jell-O, etc. I was more into the hot liquids than the cold. As some have mentioned, having the hot chicken broth was a must. It really curbs your appetite and at night helps you feel like you are actually eating dinner, i.e. soup!

I would also agree that the worst part is the prep drink. I can’t remember the exact name of mine, but it was two small bottles to drink. I gagged the entire time I had to drink it. Just do it as quickly as you can! The gagging is not attractive, so you might not want to drink it in front of Mal! :-)

For the bathroom, I think having some personal wipes or baby wipes is a good idea. Not to be gross, but depending on how much you need to eliminate it can get a bit sore down there. Having said that, I didn’t really have a big problem with it. I think if you are a fairly healthy eater and not a big meat eater, things move along pretty quickly. I believe people who have heavier diets tend to have more to deal with, if you get my drift! ;-) No science there, just my opinion.

During the colonoscopy, you shouldn’t feel a thing. The actual procedure is the easiest part!

Finally, after the colonoscopy I felt fine. I went home and ate a regular meal with no problems. I was a little sleepy and took a short nap, but it was by no means anything debilitating in any way. Be prepared to possibly have some excess gas after the procedure. They may pump some in to expand the area and get a better view. If you do, it’s not a big deal.

I think you will be just fine! Plus, as weird as it may seem, the color pictures of your colon they show you after it all are actually pretty cool in a total geeky-science kind of way! Good luck with it all!

Tina April 1, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Thank you! :)

Meredith April 1, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Hi Tina,
    I had a colonoscopy last year when I was only 25, and I was terrified. My Dad specializes in this, so although he didn’t conduct my colonscopy, I got some great tips from him. I was told I could mix crystal-light mixers in with my prep drink. I did this with the lemonade flavor crystal light and it helped a LOT. However, I still to this day can’t drink regular lemonade! But it helped the drink go down a lot more smoothly! The day of the prep, just keep busy with lots of movies/shows on the couch, and just be near a bathroom. I don’t remember a thing from the test itself, and afterwards, I ate a bagel and soup. You’ll do great, and it’s great to find out the results afterwards to have resolution! Best of luck :)

Elisabeth April 1, 2013 at 7:16 pm

I’ve never had a colonoscopy, but I was on a liquid only diet for the entire month of December due to a different medical issue. It was pretty sucky at first (and at Christmas!), but I sure got used to it ;) I’m sure you’ll do fine & it’ll be great to finally get a colonoscopy to fully see what is going on. It’s just shocking to me that you didn’t have one at the beginning of all of this! good luck :)

Taryn April 1, 2013 at 7:41 pm

Good luck on Wednesday!! When I had my colonoscopy, it was a rough 24 hours leading up to the procedure! hot liquids help since they make you feel fuller. the more distracted you can make yourself, the better! it’ll be rough, but you do crossfit so this is like nothing in comparison!!

Becky April 1, 2013 at 7:46 pm

I am probably one of the youngest people ever to have a colonoscopy. I had one when I was 19 just a couple of weeks after Christmas. I will be honest, the not eating the day before totally sucked, but I went out to eat immediately after my colonoscopy to Chilli’s, and I don’t think it ever tasted so good! So my advice, pick a yummy restaurant to go eat at afterwards. :)

Becky April 1, 2013 at 7:46 pm

Jen @ Such a Funny Fat April 1, 2013 at 7:54 pm

My suggestions, after having a few colonoscopies over the years for Crohn’s disease, are similar to what others have said. I mix Crystal Light lemonade into the lemon-lime GoLytely prep and then drink it with a straw. I don’t like the smell of it so sometimes I’ll even put it into a travel mug with a lid so I can’t smell it. Once I start drinking it I’ll immediately chase it with ginger ale to get the taste out of my mouth. You can also drink root beer if that’s more your style. As for eating afterwards – that’s never been a problem, just start with small portions of soft foods to make sure that everything is working normally. I usually have a bowl of soup or maybe mashed potatoes and then wait a little while before eating anything more significant.

The first time I had it done I wasn’t completely knocked out and remember watching part of the procedure on the monitor. However, the next few that I’ve had done I’ve been pretty much out of it. I woke up during one with a little pain and I told the doctor and they gave me more pain meds so be sure to say something if you are experiencing any pain during the procedure.

They will fill your intestines with air as they move the scope through it. You’ll feel like you have to poop (again) after the procedure but you don’t have anything in you and you’ll spend quite a bit of time passing gas.

Good Luck – I hope that the test goes well for you.

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail April 1, 2013 at 8:42 pm

I had a colonoscopy last year. The procedure was nothing–it was the prep. I could not get that liquid down for the life of me. If you can request pills, I highly recommend that. Or, try to flavor the liquid Crystal light packets. Ugh. GOOD LUCK!

Heather @ Dragonflygirlruns April 1, 2013 at 8:57 pm

As everyone else has said, the prep is the worst part. The procedure is nothing since they knock you out for it anyway and everyone is so nice. I hope it’s early in the morning! I had one that was late in the afternoon and pretty much fasted for 2 days. Not a fun time! The 2nd was easier! You will do great and good luck!

Michele April 1, 2013 at 9:39 pm

I’ve had 2 of them. Like everyone else said, the prep is the worst part. I thought I would be starving but with running constantly to the bathroom, food was the last thing on my mind! I would recommend getting some vaseline because for me, even the baby wipes hurt. Not to be gross or graphic but putting vaseline “down there” before going to the bathroom helped a lot! The actual procedure was over before I knew it and I never felt a thing nor do I remember it. I actually went out to breakfast right afterwards then went home and took a long nap. You’ll do fine. Good luck Tina!

Christine April 1, 2013 at 10:01 pm

I am in my late 30′s and I have had two colonoscopys as well due to family history of colon cancer. Like eveyone says the prep is bad. I don’t have too much drinking the fluid they recommend. I just get bored sitting on the toilet for so long!!!! You might think it is safe to get off for a minute, but IT’S NOT! Lol! I have never had a problem eating after. I usually CHOW!!! You will do great and hopefully the test will get you some answers!!!

Alyssa April 1, 2013 at 10:06 pm

I don’t know how you do with anesthesia, but I get sick as a dog. I recommend eatin some grapes or watermelon as soon as you come to to get your metabolism running quickly and to get that gunk out of your system!!

Verlin April 1, 2013 at 11:04 pm

I just had a colonoscopy last week. Every time I had to take a glass of “the liquid”, I had a sip of coffee after to counteract the taste. It really helped. I started with ginger-ale, but realized I couldn’t handle anything else sweet, so switched to coffee. Also, wipes/Vaseline are lifesavers. Getting the liquid down was mind over matter, and I wouldn’t want to do it again next week, but really not THAT bad. I felt great afterward, but I had twilight sleep, not a general – not sure what you are having. If you don’t have a general, you should feel fine. I didn’t want to eat a lot after, but that bagel and cheese tasted FABULOUS!!!!

Verlin April 1, 2013 at 11:05 pm

PS – chill the drink, as it tastes better (or less worse?) that way.

Verlin April 1, 2013 at 11:08 pm

PPS – the procedure itself is nothing. I had zero discomfort, let alone pain. Slightly embarrassing, but that’s what they do all day, and I’m sure you have a nice butt, so I wouldn’t worry :) I told my family afterward that the doctor said I had a beautiful ass. What he really said was that my colon looked great, but I paraphrased.

Tina April 2, 2013 at 6:06 am

Hahaha!

Cathy April 1, 2013 at 11:58 pm

I just had my today, what a coincidence! Yes the prep is pretty much as everyone described. I don’t care much for sweet drinks normally, so I drank mostly Swanson’s chicken broth, regular. I didn’t want to go low sodium, as I really wanted it to taste good…..interspersed with little lemonade and OJ.

Generally my diet includes lots of green juice – I drink 30 oz green juice supplemented with a little vegetables and turkey during the day, and then have a regular evening meal. My prep was 2 liters of the meds at noon and 1 liter or more as needed at 8 pm. But because of my eating style, I was already clear with just the 2 liters cuz I didn’t have much to expel. So I only drank 1/2 liter at 8 pm (I checked with a general surgeon friend). I won’t gross everyone out by describing what “clear” should look like. I suggest you get the specific details from your doc so you know when you are done drinking that stuff. The meds did cramp my stomach.

Also, I get nauseous from anesthesia so I told the doc and nurse, and they changed the meds and I was fine when it was all done. So make sure you at least mention it if you are concerned.

Lily April 2, 2013 at 12:04 am

Grab a few good magazines and some soft TP…sorry, the prep for these are the worst.

Krista April 2, 2013 at 12:41 am

I bought clear hard candies and lollipops and lemonade water ice! And just kept eating a little something often to make it seem ok. It really wasn’t that hard for me! I think since we’re already healthy eaters its not as bad to “cleanse(?)” as it is for people who eat not so well .. You’ll be fine!

Jen April 2, 2013 at 7:51 am

Wish you the best of luck! I’ve been through a few of those colonoscopy thingys aaargh! Can you drink any smoothies or juices? I did not like the prep before my colonoscopy. You got this!

Tina April 2, 2013 at 7:57 am

Sadly, no. Only clear liquids. Whomp whomp.

Jen April 2, 2013 at 8:27 am

My mom has those pretty regularly and she always says the prep is the worst. Her doctor said she could put a lemonade crystal light packet in the stuff she needed to drink. She said that made it taste a little better.

Kelly H-Y April 3, 2013 at 12:05 pm

I can barely stand not eating when having to fast before a blood test, let alone an entire day or two! Good luck with everything! From those I know who’ve had a colonoscopy, the prep part is definitely the hardest. It will be good to have that test out of the way!! :-)