• A Very Special (Pug) Visit

April 23, 2013

Yesterday afternoon, Murphy and I had a very special visit to make at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). As you probably know, the MIT community has been through quite a lot lately, so when I received a request from Dog B.O.N.E.S. about visiting the campus, Murphy and I immediately jumped at the chance to make some people a little happier with his adorable pug face.

On my drive to Cambridge, I saw this sign on Route 93. It made me happy and sad at the same time. Imagine if everyone just stopped hurting people. The world would definitely be a better place.

no more hurting people peace (600x448)

When we arrived at MIT, Murphy immediately got to work doing his pug therapy thing.

The students loved him, especially the “pug people,” who are a different breed themselves. (The “pug people” know what I’m talking about! Haha!)

We had about 15 therapy dogs show up at MIT, so we spread out in front of the student center, so people could come pet them.

Murphy lasted a little over an hour—letting people pet and cuddle him—before he started to get tired, and I decided to take him home. (There are a few telltale signs that signal he’s had enough therapy time.)

The pug was pooped on the ride home. He eventually fell asleep and started snoring!

011

Snack

When I got home from MIT, I was starving, so I broke out some dried apricots and almonds to snack on. The combination (2 almonds + 1 dried apricot) was so delicious—it took some serious willpower to pull myself away!

007

Dinner

A little while later, I started to cook dinner, which was chicken stir fry with white rice. In the mix: chicken, soy sauce, broccoli, carrots, onions, and peppers.

002

After dinner, I enjoyed some Nikki’s vanilla cake batter coconut butter straight from the jar. I also needed some serious willpower to pull myself away from this stuff. Holy yum!

020

Health News & Views

If you’re a Paleo diet devotee, then you will love this recipe for chocolate chip cookies! They’re soft and chewy just like a regular chocolate chip cookie, but gluten- and grain-free. I promise you won’t even notice a difference. They’re that delicious!

Like the Paleo Diet? Try This Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe

What’s your favorite breed of dog?

P.S. A reader emailed me about these “Keep Running, Boston” t-shirts, which donate 100% of the proceeds to the One Fund Boston—just wanted to share!

Katie April 23, 2013 at 1:19 pm

English bulldog fanatic. My BLOG is about my dog(s). Pathetic? Maybe but I am obsessed with bullies (especially my two!).

Tina April 23, 2013 at 1:28 pm

I actually had a separate pug blog for Murphy, but then CNC turned into a food/fitness/pug blog! Dog blogs are the best! :)

Anne April 23, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Other t-shirts that 100% of proceeds go to the One Fund:

designed by a friend of mine who lives in Brookline

Adidas running tee’s

It was so nice of Murphy to help everyone calm down. I lived in Watertown for the past five years and just moved away. I was freaking out thinking of my safe hometown and all of my friends in and near it. I’m so glad that no civilians were hurt during the manhunt and capture.

Mary April 23, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Siberian Husky’s all the way!

Alyssa (road to rd) April 23, 2013 at 2:02 pm

I’ll bet those studrnts were so happy! When dogs come to my school the quad is packed! I’m a pug lover on the inside but a cat person on the outside.

Shel@PeachyPalate April 23, 2013 at 2:56 pm

I’d say it feels amazing to know you’re really making a difference! I love Labs but I have little Westie. I don’t know how you stopped at 2 almonds and one apricot!

Rachel @ Undercover Diva: A Sitcom April 23, 2013 at 3:01 pm

I have a dachshund and I definitely am in love with doxies! I also love Corgis with their giant ears and lack of tails. Oh my gosh!

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake April 23, 2013 at 3:03 pm

I was raised around boxers, so I always figured I’d have a boxer myself some day.

BUT, now that I have a PUG, I’ve been enlightened on which breed truly is the BEST! You seriously can’t beat their little personalities.

Tina April 23, 2013 at 3:22 pm

They are the best little creatures! :)

Kelly@BalancedDaily April 23, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Awe, that must have been so nice to be able to give something back to the Boston community and have Murphy cheer people up. I dont think I have a favorite breed of dog, I pretty much love any and all of them. I need to try that flavor coconut butter!

Tatomme @FreshPotater April 23, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Hey Tina,

Just to give you a heads up, the first link to the chocolate chip cookies in the health and news section goes to a recipe using corn syrup and all purpose flour…I don’t think that’s what you meant to link! So just thought I’d let you know. The other paleo chocolate chip cookie recipe looks amazing though :)

Megan April 23, 2013 at 3:56 pm

What a wonderful thing for you and Murpht to do! He’s such a good little man. My pup would be jumping all over everyone!

Laura @ A Girl's Gotta Balance April 23, 2013 at 4:03 pm

My Roxy is a rescue but according to the vet she is a puggle (pug/beagle). Murphy looks so handsome in his therapy dog vest. :)

erica April 23, 2013 at 5:44 pm

what a great thing to do!!!
    i think dogs provide so much comfort :) good job murphy!

Allison @ Life's a Bowl April 23, 2013 at 5:53 pm

My husband and I always joked that we never would end up with a “fru-fru” dog and now we have a… Toy poodle :P But we love him, he’s so silly!

Elisabeth April 23, 2013 at 7:25 pm

I love golden retrievers, German shepherds and vizslas!

Caroline @ Broccoli Hut April 23, 2013 at 8:37 pm

What a wonderful way to contribute to the healing after the events last Monday. I would be so happy to see a smiling pug face!
    I love all dogs, but I have a special place in my heart for Jack Russells, pugs, and Boxers.

Alyssa April 23, 2013 at 8:59 pm

I’m wearing red socks at my half marathon this weekend to commemorate Boston as well. So sad that a couple of bored psychos had to go and ruin what is such a happy and victorious occasion in Boston. The Boston Marathon will never be the same :-(

AJ April 23, 2013 at 8:59 pm

How amazing that you got to help the students at MIT. Its been crazy there, I’m sure.

-AJ
    FitTravelerAJ.com

Kristen April 23, 2013 at 9:20 pm

I have a Boston Terrier. I love how they have the personality of a big dog in a compact package.

kristen @ livinlifenlouie April 23, 2013 at 9:52 pm

The 8 year old boy that died in the bombing was pictured with a sign saying the same thing :(

Tina April 24, 2013 at 5:58 am

I know. :(

Trish April 23, 2013 at 10:12 pm

I love my Samoyed! I am partial to “fluffy” dogs. I live in a cold, snowy climate and she loves to eat and play in the snow.

Melissa Love April 23, 2013 at 10:19 pm

I LOVE pugs. Always wanted one. Currently have a lab/pit and Boston that I have rescued. Wouldn’t change it for the world. Love my girls!

Jess April 23, 2013 at 10:28 pm

What a great thing you and your dog did for MIT!

I don’t have a favorite breed of dog, I’ve had rescue “mutts” my whole life. I guess that means I love all dogs!

Alyssa April 23, 2013 at 10:31 pm

That’s such an awesome thing to have therapy dogs go to the campus. It’s amazing how much an animal can raise your spirits. =)

Katie April 24, 2013 at 3:10 am

I cannot stop laughing because I thought you wrote the pug pooped on the way home (rather than was pooped) and I was like holy moly those college kids really got to him hahah! love your blog :)!

Gina @ LifetotheFdegree April 24, 2013 at 6:01 am

That sign makes me especially sad because it’s inspired by the sign that the 8 year old victim, Martin Richard, was photographed holding. Such a sweet and innocent sentiment.

Angela April 24, 2013 at 8:26 am

Doodles are the best.

Maureen April 24, 2013 at 8:27 am

How emotional for you AND the MIT students. I am so glad that you {and Murphy} were able to do something so important to help their healing process. :)

jess April 24, 2013 at 11:12 am

I walk by that sign on my way to the T every day (live in Savin Hill) and it just gives me the chills. Thanks for sharing a pic of it though, nice to know that people are talking about it, whoever made it did a great job. Such a numb week :(

Sarah April 24, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Hi Tina! Is there anywhere that says something about the proceeds of the shirt? I believe you, I just don’t see anything on the skreened website about it.

Sarah April 24, 2013 at 7:52 pm

@Sarah: I was looking at the mobile version, it shows up on the full site!

Rits April 24, 2013 at 9:47 pm

No favorites. Dogs are great. I’ve had big and small and love them all!!

Morgan@Healthy Food Newsletter April 25, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Uhm that coconut butter sounds amazing, trying that ASAP! And I love pugs, they are precious and I always freak out when I see their adorable smushed faces. I have a Japanese Chin and they look pretty similar to pugs except they are smaller and fluffier. I don’t think I have a favorite breed, I like all dogs, but the toy breeds always melt my heart!