• Twin Farms Recap {Saturday–Part 1}

March 12, 2013

On Saturday morning, I was too excited to sleep. I set my alarm for 7:15 because I wanted to carpe diem, but I woke up much earlier because I wanted to start my day at Twin Farms.

Mal is mostly a morning person, but he appreciates his sleep too, so I didn’t wake him and made myself an iced coffee and read an issue of Vanity Fair. It was a nice, relaxing way to start the day.

French press iced coffee at Twin Farms

Mal woke up hungry a little while later, so we headed to the Main Lodge for breakfast.

137

Breakfast at Twin Farms was one of the highlights of the weekend for both Mal and me. The “menu” changes with the seasons and features locally-grown ingredients, so everything tasted incredibly fresh and flavorful. I used quotations around the word “menu” because there really isn’t a set menu for meals at Twin Farms. The servers share the daily specials with you, but you can order anything you want. There are so many possibilities, choosing is the hardest part.

The staff is also really in tune with guests’ dietary restrictions and preferences, so you don’t have to worry about explaining that you’re a vegan or you can’t eat gluten during your stay. They even take taste preferences seriously. For example, Mal said he liked 2% instead of whole milk in his coffee, and the staff made sure to switch the whole milk with a carton of 2% in the refrigerator in our cottage. What service!

004

Saturday morning’s breakfast was epic. It started with fresh fruit.

138

And freshly pressed pineapple-coconut juice.

140

I also ordered a decaf almond milk latte with breakfast. (I’m not going to lie, I was pretty psyched they had almond milk!)

141

There were a number of delicious options available for breakfast, but I decided on the egg white omelet special, which came with broccoli, tomato, sausage, and goat cheese with some roasted red potatoes on the side.

145

David, the Wine Director, tipped us off to the freshly baked chocolate croissants, so Mal and I made sure to order a couple of them with our breakfast. They were divine—so buttery and so chocolaty!

chocolate crossiant at Twin Farms

After breakfast, Mal and I headed outside for some snowshoeing. I had never tried it before, so I was excited to see what it was all about.

146

Twin Farms provides all of the equipment you need for snowshoeing as well as cross-country skiing, downhill skiing (there are 6 groomed trails on property), ice skating, and sledding. In the summer, there’s biking, canoeing, tennis, and even fly fishing. I don’t think I’d ever get bored with all of those options!

018

020

022

147

Strapping on the snowshoes was a piece of cake, so, not even 2 minutes later, Mal and I were tromping through the snow.

149

151

It was a beautiful day for snowshoeing!

152

154

We spent about 45-minutes hiking the trails around the Main House.

157

156

158

Snowshoeing is pretty easy—it’s basically just walking in the snow—but once you add some hills… holy goodness, it’s tiring!

159

I was sweating like a beast by the time we made it to the top!

161

162

But, of course, it was well worth it. Check out the gorgeous views of Vermont!

163

167

171

I really enjoyed snowshoeing. It sort of reminded me of running, and I could totally see myself grabbing my headphones, zoning out, and hiking for miles and miles through the snow by myself. I definitely want to do it again. Big fan.

169

After snowshoeing, Mal headed to a local CrossFit box to do Open WOD 13.1 again. (He wasn’t happy with his first attempt.) I wanted to experience Twin Farms to its fullest, so, while he was gone, I checked out the spa and fitness center, where I did a short WOD and then booked a massage for myself.

Spa_at_Twin_Farms

The gym had all sorts of new cardio machines, Nautilus and free weights, yoga equipment and mats, and exercise videos.

085

I had the gym to myself, so I put on some Aerosmith and got my WOD on.

192

My workout:

179

Um, yea, this workout seriously kicked my ass. I actually planned to work my way up to 10 Curtis P’s (a hang-squat clean + a right lunge + a left lunge + a push press) and 10 Hollow Rocks, but my legs started to burn on set 5, so I stopped at 8 and then worked my way back down to 1.

I didn’t stop to rest during this workout, but I was going so slow at times. Curtis P’s are exhausting, and, surprisingly, the Hollow Rocks seemed easy! This workout is literally a butt kicker—my  gluts were incredibly sore the next day! (FYI: I used two 20-pound dumbbells and finished in 12:45.)

Gym at Twin Farms

After my workout, I headed back to our cottage, quickly showered, and then got myself ready for an in-room massage.

194

197

Seriously, how is this my life? So, so, so grateful.

Relaxing before in-room massage

A female massage therapist came to our cottage, set up her table, and gave me the most amazing massage. It was totally relaxing, but “hurts-so-good” at the same time, which, in my opinion, is the best type of massage. I like it when massage therapists work out the knots and soreness.

198

After my massage, I rinsed off and headed to the Main House for lunch. Once again, I chose the daily special, which was “tuna two ways,” which was served with couscous, beans, and feta. Delish!

tuna two ways at Twin Farms

Lunch concluded with dessert… oh, yes. Sadly, I can’t remember all of the different ingredients, but it was a peanut butter and jelly-inspired dish with Concord grape puree and peanuts. It was light and sweet, and the perfect way to end the meal.

dessert at Twin Farms

Questions of the Day

Have you ever tried snowshoeing or cross-country skiing?

What’s your favorite winter sport?

Kendall Covitz March 12, 2013 at 1:49 pm

I have never been snow shoeing or cross country skiing! I’d love to try both, particularly snow shoeing but I’m such a wimp in the cold. I love a “hurts so good” massage! I don’t really see the point on getting a massage unless it lasts by getting out some of the damage. Glad you guys had a great weekend!!

Katie March 12, 2013 at 2:19 pm

I like downhill skiing despite the fact that it scares me. I really wanna try snow shoeing and cross country skiing.

Twin Farms looks like my kind of place.

Meghan@themeghamix March 12, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Tina – this place looks absolutely incredible!!!

Rachel @ Undercover Diva: A Sitcom March 12, 2013 at 2:33 pm

When you said “snow-shoeing” I immediately thought of the cartoons where you strap a tennis racket to your feet and imagined you and Mal doing that. I have done neither of those options because I hate snow, so my favorite winter sport is sitting on my butt and hating my life when I’m near snow.

Tina March 12, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Haha!

Elisabeth March 12, 2013 at 6:40 pm

@Rachel @ Undercover Diva: A Sitcom:
    I’m with you on hating snow! I could never experience snow again & be happy.

Shel@PeachyPalate March 12, 2013 at 2:54 pm

Awesome workout idea! I just can’t get the hang of hollow rocks though! The snow shoes are amazing! Never seen anything like them before.

Maureen @ Breaking Free & Finding Me March 12, 2013 at 2:57 pm

This place just keeps sounding better and better!!

Kelly@BalancedDaily March 12, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Yum, the food at this place looks unreal! I’ve never tried snow shoeing or cross country skiing, but my mom loves both and says they’re an incredible workout! My favorite winter activity is ice skating. My whole family played hockey at one point or another so we all love to ice skate.

hannah March 12, 2013 at 4:05 pm

i love seeing all the Simon Pearce! You don’t see it often down here in NC, but i registered with them for our wedding…and enjoy it every day.

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake March 12, 2013 at 4:18 pm

So jealous of your in-room massage!

Erin March 12, 2013 at 4:57 pm

I’d love to go to Vermont! In 4th grade I did a report on Vermont, its been in my head to visit ever since!

Angela March 12, 2013 at 5:55 pm

What an amazing trip! I live on a mountain so it’s weird that I’ve never snow shoed before… But I snowboard. (I also loveeee chocolate crossaints. And almond milk lattes but no coffee shops have almond milk so I only get it when I make one at home.)

Miranda @ Miranda Runs March 12, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Wow what an AMAZING place. That looks like heaven! I love it when hotels/resorts have good fitness centers- it seems so many of them have the cheap machines and only up to 10 lb free weights. That’s a gorgeous area too! Look at that pure white snow. I’ve snowshoed a few years ago, but not recently. I need to go again! I’m more of a snowboarder ;)

michelle kim March 12, 2013 at 6:23 pm

I’ve tried snowshoeing and enjoyed it a lot! I would have preferred the view that you had (we just followed on a path). Also, we wore regular sneakers (my Keds held up), so we tried to be more careful about not getting too much snow on the shoes.
    That “tuna two ways” dish looks AMAZING!

Corrie @ Blurb Column March 12, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Yes! Snowshoeing is so much fun, a great workout, and usually in really beautiful scenery. I don’t dig on snow when I am at home and have to “deal” with it, but get me out in the woods for a little weekend getaway (like at Lake of the Woods) and I’m all about bundling up and heading out in the snow. Have you ever been snowmobiling? Also a SUPER fun snow activity, and yes, you will feel it when you are done!

BroccoliHut March 12, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Seriously, all restaurants should start offering almond milk! I would be all over that latte.

Susanna March 12, 2013 at 8:13 pm

I grew up down hill skiing but as I’ve gotten older I love snow showing and cross country so much more. Not just for the workout but you get to enjoy the scenery and nature more goi g slower then racing down a mountain! This place looks a,axing and I already talked to my husband about a possible trip next year:)

Vaz March 12, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Ok, I don’t usually comment, but I feel the need. This is not a place that I will probably ever be able to afford, but that was fun to read! Damn, I wish people would lighten up. Enjoy yourself, honey.

Pam March 12, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Wow what a gorgeous day! Fabulous eats there too, so want to visit this place :)

luv what you do March 13, 2013 at 7:34 am

I went snow shoeing for the first time a few weeks ago and LOVED it! It is so peaceful and I want to buy shoes. Good call on the massage! I would have done that over CrossFit too!

Alyssa March 13, 2013 at 10:08 am

I LOOOVE skiing! (Downhill is my preference) We miss our Colorado mtns dearly :-(

Bitsy March 13, 2013 at 2:39 pm

I was snow adverse until I lived in Burlington. I now am a big fan of snowshoeing and cross country skiing or any other snow sport. It makes winter much more fun!

Shay @ Whine Less, Breathe More March 13, 2013 at 11:41 pm

I am not a fan of skiing (tried it, hated it) or snowboarding (no desire to even try), but now I want to try snowshoeing! I have great trails here that I love to run on, but then to avoid when the snow gets too deep. But I will be exploring them with snowshoes! Thanks for the idea!!

Monique @ burpeestobubbly.com March 15, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Grew up cross country skiing and still love it to this day! I have recently done more snow shoeing… I did it in the park across my street when we got pounded with all that snow a month ago! Holy quad workout.