• Slow Cooker Plantains

March 7, 2013

Hello, hello!

I’m excited to tell you guys about my breakfast this morning. It was delicious, nutritious, and incredibly easy to make. It also made a ton of leftovers, so I won’t have to make much effort with the rest of my breakfasts this week (or next).

I bought a bunch of plantains at the grocery store this past weekend. They were really cheap (yay, reduced produce!) and on their way to ripening (plantains are technically ripe when they’re almost black), so I wanted to use them up before I went away for weekend. I wasn’t exactly sure what to do with them, but then I saw my freshly washed crockpot from Sunday night’s dinner sitting on my kitchen counter and it sparked a great idea.

Slow cooker plantains!

crockpot plantains

I’m actually really surprised how well this turned out because I totally winged it. I basically just peeled and cut up the plantains, put them in my crockpot, and the started adding ingredients that I thought would taste good with them. I measured things just in case it turned out well, but feel free to play around with the amounts of each ingredient depending on your slow cooker and taste preferences.

Slow Cooker Plantains

• 5 ripe-ish plantains
    • 1 cup canned coconut milk
    • 1.5 cup water
    • 1/2 cup maple syrup
    • 1/2 cup dried cherries (or raisins or cranberries)
    • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
    • 4 tbsp butter
    • 1 tsp cinnamon
    • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
    • Pinch of salt

1. Peel plantains and cut into large pieces. Add to crockpot.
    2. Add remaining ingredients to crockpot and cook on low heat for 3-4 hours until plantains are soft, sweet, and delicious.
    3. Remove from heat and serve immediately. Top with coconut cream or your other favorite toppings.

crockpot plantains (2)

Last night’s dinner was also delicious. Lots of good eats around here lately!

On the menu: Mama Pea’s “One Pan Roasted Sweet Potato and Black Bean Enchiladas” from her new cookbook. They turned out so well and were super easy to make. Win-win!

When I did my meal planning on Sunday afternoon, I only checked to see what ingredients I needed to buy to make the enchiladas and didn’t bother to look at the cooking instructions. For some reason, I assumed they’d take a lot of prep work, but I was happily surprised when I realized just how simple this recipe was to make. It took a little while to roast the sweet potatoes, but other that… easy-peasy. And, of course, the most important part, they tasted awesome! Mal and I were both “yum-ing” and “mmm-ing” the entire time we were eating them last night.

After dinner, Mal, Murphy, and I relaxed on the couch and caught up with some DVR shows.

At 8:00 PM on the dot, we logged onto the CrossFit Games website for the announcement of the first Open WOD. It’s a tough one! Personally, I think it’s way worse than 7 minutes of Burpees!

Questions of the Day

What’s your favorite Mexican dish?

Are you participating in the CrossFit Open?

Any tricks for getting pet fur off of your clothes?

Holly March 7, 2013 at 7:34 am

For the pet fur we just don’t let the dog on the furniture. Brush her often to remove loose fur. Vacuum rugs often and use a sticky hand roller on clothing when all else fails. If you don’t want to take away couch privileges from Murphy maybe using a hand tool to vacuum the cushions would help?

Linda @running4two March 7, 2013 at 7:48 am

My dog sheds a lot but at least the hair doesn’t stick to our leather-ish couch. I’ve heard that a used dryer sheet works great to remove hair from furniture. I always use a lint roller on my pants before I leave the house because I always have some hair on them. It’s just great to cuddle on the couch with them :-).

Kim March 7, 2013 at 7:50 am

Oh my goodness! I love plantains! I will be going to the store today to try these out. Any substitute for decreasing the amount of syrup? How much is a serving? I don’t want to go overboard in serving myself.

Tina March 7, 2013 at 8:14 am

You could just use less maple syrup! :)

Danielle @ Food-Dee.com March 7, 2013 at 9:02 am

They make sugar free maple syrup, and it’s organic. I can’t recall the brand but it’s what I use and it tastes fantastic! @Tina:

Sara @ sarasmiles March 7, 2013 at 7:58 am

I just cooked with plantains for the first time a couple of weeks ago, but they weren’t ripe and it was for a dinner dish. This looks right up my alley! Those enchiladas also look awesome. I’ve made sweet potato tilapia tacos with guacamole before. I love using sweet potatoes in Mexican dishes!

Kait (@runKaitrun) March 7, 2013 at 7:59 am

mmm chicken enchiladas are def my fav mexican dish – yours do sound amazing though, i want to try!

happy thursday!

Annie @ eatcleaneatreal March 7, 2013 at 8:01 am

Im actually not a huge plantains fan, but my dad is so I am sending him this PRONTO. However, there is a market it town that has them cheap so I might give them another try in the crock pot 😉

Sara March 7, 2013 at 8:04 am

I am going to be doing the 13.1 WOD this evening! I’m so excited! It looks awful in that good way! Good luck tonight! Crush it!

Tina March 7, 2013 at 8:13 am

Me too! GOOD LUCK!

Jackie @ Nacho Average Runner March 7, 2013 at 8:09 am

I love all mexican food but you can’t have any of it without GUACAMOLE!!

Plus i kinda like nachos… like a lot! :)

Tina March 7, 2013 at 8:13 am

Agreed! We actually had guacamole before dinner last night. We couldn’t wait to eat it! Haha!

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl March 7, 2013 at 8:09 am

I would love to try these plantains. I always see them in the grocery stores but have no idea how to eat them or cook with them! I would love to try this recipe but with coconut almond milk. I might also use vegan butter in order to make them vegan :).

Ohhh…and those enchiladas?? You can go right ahead and send me some of those right now! 😉

sara @ fitcupcaker March 7, 2013 at 8:12 am

I’m not doing the open since I’m so new to crossfit but I know some people who are! I want to grab a couple of those cookbooks you just got recently!

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats March 7, 2013 at 8:13 am

Enchiladas are my favorite thing to order at a Mexican restaurant. I’ve been to one restaurant in Colorado Speings that has really creative enchiladas, haha a little nicer than your classic Mexican joint

Cortney March 7, 2013 at 8:14 am

My favorite Mexican dish is guacamole! I could eat it as a meal :-) No CrossFit open for me but I am running a marathon in T-minus 10 days.

As far as the dog hair, I have tried a bunch of different things and find either the tape rollers or just good old duct tape works the best.

And speaking of dogs, I reserved a copy of “Inside a Dog” at my local library. Can’t wait to read it!

Tina March 7, 2013 at 9:04 am

@Cortney: Nice! It’s such a good book!

Beks March 7, 2013 at 8:16 am

No idea about how to get pet fur off your clothes. I have three cats who are constantly in some state of shedding. Plus, we had a dog who died three years ago, and I’m still finding her fur in places (she was a chow/husky mix, so I’m pretty sure when my parents sell the place, the new owners will STILL find it. :-( ).

I’ve recently come to love fish tacos. I always used to think they were gross, but then I got a serious craving for them, and haven’t looked back since. I do keep meaning to try to make them healthy, because the places I go basically take fish sticks and wrap them in a flour tortilla and deep dry the whole shebang. NOT healthy at ALL! But man, is it tasty. :-)

Nic March 7, 2013 at 8:20 am

I was about to die this morning when I saw the 13.1 WOD!!
    (Since I live in Switzerland I had to wait ’til the morning to find out
    since staying awake ’til the wee hours would not help me much.)
    I’m really excited about the snatches but think they should have
    waited to bring them later on in the game… But we’ll see how
    far this novice can get with this WOD. 😉

Have fun today!! I’ll practice my snatch a little (my 1RM is only 75!!)
    and do it on saturday with most of the other contestants at my box. :)

Tina March 7, 2013 at 9:04 am

@Nic: My 1RM is only 90. I feel your pain! GOOD LUCK!

Joi @ Rx Fitness Lady March 7, 2013 at 8:22 am

I had to see what the plantain part was about. This looks so good. I’ve never had them this way before. I’ll be trying this out with the bestie…We have a plantain addiction. Thx!

NYC Fit GIrl March 7, 2013 at 8:22 am

yay for the CrossFit open!! So excited!!!

Nicole March 7, 2013 at 8:24 am

I was just thinking I really need to make a batch of enchiladas…I’ve made a plant-strong dish that includes black beans, chopped spinach and chopped mushrooms. They were tasty.
    We have dog fur to match every outfit–both black and white fur. I stick to the good old tape roller but also just accept the fact that pieces of Tucker and Kostas travel with us everywhere :)

dana March 7, 2013 at 8:25 am

I did 13.1 about 45 min after it was posted!! I wanted to get a trail under my belt… those snatches REALLY caught up to me REAL fast. Got heavy quick! Burpees were the easier part for me and I usually HATE burpees!

Cant wait to hear how it goes for you when you try it! There are so many strategies going around from everyone.

Tina March 7, 2013 at 8:32 am

Nice job! Did you make it to the 100-pound snatches? I’m worried about those… if I get to them.

dana March 7, 2013 at 9:51 am

I only made it to the 75# snatches… ran out of time!! Didn’t even get to do the burpees after the 75# snatches.

Tina March 7, 2013 at 9:52 am

@dana: Oh, man, I’m scared!

Kim March 7, 2013 at 8:28 am

I’m not signed up for the open, but I did the workout this morning. Brutal! I just started crossfit and am not very strong at getting things over my head yet, so even with reduced weights I only got 103 reps. But at least partway through the second set of snatches I realized that I wasn’t lowering the bar far enough, so when I figured that out it made it *slightly* easier (ie I was able to get 3 instead of 0, haha)

Tina March 7, 2013 at 8:32 am

Nice job!!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More March 7, 2013 at 8:33 am

I’m not sure I’ve ever had plantains before…?! But that sounds pretty good. i might just have to try ’em!

Courtney March 7, 2013 at 8:36 am

I am so pumped for 13.1! It is like a mix of 12.1 and 12.2!! Eeeee can’t wait! I’ll definitely be creeping your score, Tina!

Tina March 7, 2013 at 8:48 am

Haha! Are you making a custom leaderboard? I’ll add you to mine! Mwhahaha!

Courtney March 7, 2013 at 8:54 am

@Tina: I didn’t know you could make custom leader boards!! I will add you up!

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries March 7, 2013 at 8:37 am

I’ve never actually tried plantains! They’ve always intrigued me though. I think I just need to bite the bullet and try them.
    Those enchiladas sound delicious! I LOVE Mexican food! Picking my favorite Mexican dish is probably the hardest question ever… I love enchiladas, soft tacos, burritos, quesadillas, you name it!

Claire @ Health Nut Claire March 7, 2013 at 8:50 am

Ahaha, your last question! I was going to mention the pug hair on your jeans. Lent rollers!

Laura @ A Girl's Gotta Balance March 7, 2013 at 8:53 am
    Elizabeth @ Positive Change March 7, 2013 at 8:56 am

I love mexican food, we always make salsa chicken in the crockpot and using it for our tacos!

Avery @ Southern Belle Living Well March 7, 2013 at 9:00 am

Anything Mexican is my favorite! (I even put salsa in my soup and on my salad!) Ooooo…..I just bought a bunch of plantains! This is gonna be a good week 😉

Danielle @ Food-Dee.com March 7, 2013 at 9:05 am

My fave Mexican food is anything fresh (salsa, guac) and a good mole sauce. There is something amazing about chocolate and chilis in a savory sauce over chicken. Mmmmm.

I’m pumped for the 13.1! I did a WOD last week that was basically the snatch part of it (AMRAP, heavier each round) so I feel good about that. The burpees, not so much. Good luck on your 13.1!

Tina March 7, 2013 at 9:16 am
    mary @ minutes per mile March 7, 2013 at 9:22 am

Sometimes I try to eat yogurt or fruit or eggs for breakfast, but I find that they just don’t fill me up like carbs do. Do you ever miss eating oatmeal, oat bran, or toast for breakfast? I don’t know how you do it!

mel March 7, 2013 at 9:28 am

Holy shit yes I saw the open wod and yes I’m going to die! Are you planning on doing it twice? Is that why you are doing it tonight? I may just try to kill it once and be done. My 1rm is 125 so those 100’s are going to kill me!

Tina March 7, 2013 at 9:42 am

@mel: I’m just planning to do it once. Our box actually has an advanced group on Thursday nights that I was invited to, which “practices” and comes up with strategies for the Open WOD and then does it officially on the weekend. Mal and I are going to Vermont this weekend, so we’ll need to do the workout tonight to get our scores in for Sunday. I’m nervous! I’ve never done a 100-pound snatch!

Beth B. March 7, 2013 at 12:33 pm

@Tina: Tina, you could do it Saturday at my box in Central Vermont (Berlin, 45 min south of Burlington)!! Open Competition WOD is noon-1pm Saturday. My box is Green Mountain Crossfit – http://www.theconfluencevt.com

Tina March 7, 2013 at 1:10 pm

Thanks so much for the offer! We’ll probably do 13.1 with our box, but if our plans change, I’ll definitely keep it in mind! :)

Rita March 7, 2013 at 9:33 am

I’ve tried all of the above to get my pug’s fur off of my clothes. And it hasn’t worked that well. We’ve started adding salmon oil to his meals as that improves the dogs skin/coat. Lint roller kept in the car for when I get out to go wherever I am going is the only thing that keeps me pughair free

Becky @ Olives n Wine March 7, 2013 at 9:34 am

Pet hair is impossible to get off of anything! I don’t allow our dog on the furniture which seems to help a lot. I’ve also invested in a Dyson Animal vacuum which works wonders on floors :)

Annette March 7, 2013 at 9:38 am

That recipe sounds so good and I LOVE plantains!!! My favorite Mexican dish is my mom’s enchiladas. We come from Albuquerque, so instead of rolling them, they are stacked like pancakes with lettuce, tomato, cheese and onion sprinkled between the tortillas, and then sometimes topped with an over easy egg…sounds wierd, but soooo good!! As far as the pet fur, we use the rollers on our clothes, but on the furniture and car upholstery, we use these brushes that have rubber bristles…they work sooooooo good on furniture!!

Michelle March 7, 2013 at 9:40 am

I love plantains! So yummy.

Annie Atherton March 7, 2013 at 9:43 am

I did 13.1 this morning at our 5:15 class! I have only been doing CrossFit since November, and I am SUPER out of shape, but I still scored 102!!!!!! Previously I had only snatched up to 55lb. I got 2x 75lb reps :) Biggest PR for me ever, in my whole life, it felt AWESOME!

Tina March 7, 2013 at 9:47 am

@Annie Atherton: NICE JOB! :)

De @ Cooking for the Other Half March 7, 2013 at 9:45 am

That dinner looks sooo delish. I love Mexican food and we make it so often. One of my favorites is a taco salad- just a huge pile of lettuce, tomatoes, onions, veggie crumbles, beans, salsa, cheese, guac, etc. Aaand now I’m hungry.

Samantha March 7, 2013 at 10:06 am

I’m did it this morning and boy was it though! My first time snatching (new to xfit) but it was a blast! I’m so excited I decided to participate. Good luck!

Lauren March 7, 2013 at 10:08 am

I can’t believe it…but I’ve never had a plantain! Crazy! That looks really good though – like plantain stuffing! :) I make a yummy chicken enchilada casserole…maybe I’ll make it tonight….mmmmm….

Heather March 7, 2013 at 10:08 am

Holy yum I LOVE Mexican food its my favorite. I could eat chips and queso all. day. long.

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health March 7, 2013 at 10:12 am

Mama Pea’s enchiladas sound amazing. You reminded me I need to buy her new book!

Jen W March 7, 2013 at 10:14 am

I could Mexican food all day, every day! If I had a good work out or plan on having more than one margarita, Chiles Rellenos are on my plate! If not, I usually go for fajitas with lots of veggies or enchiladas. So good!

As for pet hair, when we were growing up we had too many people to make lint rollers cost effective, so we would just use duct tape or something like that. One 6-inch strip of tape goes a long way! Also, a little (aerosol) hair spray tends to nix static electricity, so maybe spritz a little on to see if less hair sticks to your clothes?

Holly March 7, 2013 at 10:19 am

I have never tried plantains … do they taste like a banana? I’m always surprised that the Sweet Breakfast Scramble turns into a pancake like consistency – does this dish do the same?

I watched the 13.1 announcement last night and definitely let out a few Holy Sh*t’s! We just worked on snatch form yesterday at the 45 lb weight so I know I can get those, but the 75 lb might be where I struggle the most … I’ve never tried more than 65lbs. I will definitely make a custom leaderboard – I’m especially psyched to see how Bob Harper does!

Tina March 7, 2013 at 10:35 am

@Holly: Yep, plantains are a lot like bananas! :)

Jen March 7, 2013 at 10:19 am

I’m doing the 13.1 workout tomorrow! I was terrified when I saw it last night since my 1 RM for snatches is only 85 lbs right now, nevermind the amount of burpees.. Good luck tonight!

Ashlee@HisnHers March 7, 2013 at 10:27 am

Those plantains look awesome! I’ve had them one time at an El Salvadorian restaurant and haven’t ever been able to find them again at the grocery store!

Trudi March 7, 2013 at 10:40 am

Thanks for the plantains recipe. I’m always on the look for new and interesting slow cooker ideas. I’m hoping my kids will like this…

Meghan @ After the Ivy League March 7, 2013 at 11:09 am

Enchiladas for dinner look super good! I think my ultimate favorite Mexican dish though is a warm toasty quesadilla, I could go for one right now!

Heidi March 7, 2013 at 11:24 am

Wow, this recipe looks so good! I love the slow cooker and can’t wait to try this!!

I LOVE mexican dishes- could eat mexican every day! My favorite is definitely fajitas!! They are so easy to make light and are so satisfying.

emily:2:DESIGN:CENTS March 7, 2013 at 11:32 am

Lint roller to remove the dog hair? I love veggie burritos with lots of guac!

Leah March 7, 2013 at 11:35 am

Ohh I want to try this recipe! How many servings do you estimate it makes/how many breakfasts will you get out of this?

Tina March 7, 2013 at 11:53 am

I’m not sure, but a lot!

Erin @ The Elliptical Chronicles March 7, 2013 at 11:53 am

My favorite Mexican dish is quesadillas if I’m in a super cheesy mood (with lots of veggies!!) or a big ol’ burrito (Chipotle-style) if I’m in the mood for beans. I don’t really go for enchiladas or any Mexican dish with mole sauce – generally because aside from guacamole, salsa, and occasionally sour cream, I’m not a big fan of Mexican saucy dishes…

Annette@FitnessPerks March 7, 2013 at 11:56 am

I love enchiladas!! Yummy!!