Good morning and happy Sunday! I hope you’re having a fabulous weekend. To start your day off on the right foot, here’s your chance to win a copy of The Paleo Slow Cooker: Health, Gluten-Free Meals the Easy!!!
The Paleo diet has been the latest health movement, taking the low carb diet a step further by eliminating grains and legumes and eating only lean, grass-fed meat. In short they consume only what was available to ancient humans or cavemen. The theory says that by eating what human bodies were designed to eat, people will be healthier, have fewer illnesses and lose weight. In many cases, Paleo diet consumers are also fueling their P90X or Cross Fit exercise routines, the two most popular fitness regimes in the country. The health benefits have been supported by major studies. This is a popular trend much like the low carb diet. It is combined with the great bookselling topic of slow cooking. While the cavemen didn’t have slow cookers, they certainly used slow cooking techniques over fires which make the meals in this book one step closer to the origins and theory behind the diet. The delicious dishes are as homey as they are healthy””and ready when you are.
I’ve only made one recipe from this cookbook so far (Ropa Vieja, which turned out great), but there are so many more that I want to try. On my list:
- Beef Brisket in Espresso Bean BBQ Sauce
- Pork Chops in Fig Sauce
- Chicken Pesto with Macadamia Nuts
- Persian Chicken with Pomegranate & Walnuts
- Thai Basil Chicken
- Slow Cooked Salmon
- Sweet and Sour Shrimp
I enjoyed the Ropa Vieja so much, Arsy, the author, said I could share it on CNC. It was so easy to make and turned out really well!
- 2.5 pounds chunk roast
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 tbsp ghee (I used butter)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bell peppers, sliced, 1 red and 1 green to add some color
- 8 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Salt and pepper just before serving
- Melt 2 tablespoons of ghee in a heave-bottomed pan over medium heat and sautÃ© the onions until translucent.
- Add the peppers and garlic, sautÃ© another 3 minutes until garlic is fragrant, then transfer to the slow-cooker.
- Brown the roast on all sides about 5 minutes, then transfer it to the slow-cooker.
- Stir together tomatoes, tomato paste, broth, spices, salt and pepper, pour over beef and cook on low for 6-7 hours.
- Shred the beef with 2 forks and cook for an additional hour.
To enter the giveaway: Just leave a comment on this post about your favorite slow cooker or Paleo recipe. I’ll randomly pick a winner on Tuesday morning to receive a copy of The Paleo Slow Cooker. Good luck!