• Recap of Open WOD 13.2 (Attempt #1)

March 15, 2013

The second WOD of the CrossFit Open was killer. Yowsahs. It was so much harder than I expected.

031 (640x480)

After seeing Annie Thorisdottir and Lindsey Valenzuela flying through the movements, almost like they were using PVC pipes instead of 75-pound bars and making it look so easy, I thought I had this WOD in the bag. Five Shoulder to overheads, 10 deadlifts, 15 box jumps… I got this.

open_wod_13.2
    [image source]

Well, as soon as I started to warm-up last night, I quickly changed my tune. This workout wasn’t going to be easy at all. Seventy-five pound Shoulder to overhead might look like a piece of cake for the Fittest Woman on Earth, but that weight is heavy for me. Throw in some box jumps and deadlifts… longest 10 minutes of my life.

I started out pretty strong with 13.2. I set myself up right next to my friend, Ashley, who is a machine at workouts like this, so my goal was to keep up with her.

015 (480x640)

047 (640x480)

I stayed with Ashley for a few rounds, but I then I just couldn’t keep up.

014 (480x640)

The weight of the Shoulder to overheads killed me, especially after gassing myself on the box jumps each round. I’d finished the box jumps and then just stare at the bar before picking it up again. The weight was so intimidating to me.

I did Push Presses for the first couple of rounds because they’re quick, but they definitely took more energy out of me, so I eventually switched to Push Jerks.

CrossFit peeps, what did you do/are you going to do for the Shoulder to overheads? I think I might try to do all Push Jerks for my next attempt.

029 (480x640)

The deadlifts were the “easiest” part of the workout, so I tried to crank out the reps as fast as possible whenever I got to them. (Man, I look exhausted in that pic! Haha!)

035 (480x640)

The box jumps destroyed me. I’m usually pretty good at them, but I was hurtin’ last night. I can usually string them together pretty well, but I was stopping and resting a lot during the WOD. A few people at my box did the “step-up” and “step-down” for some of them. Did anyone else have success with this strategy? I might give it a try next time.

036 (480x640)

I finished 7 + 19 (229), which isn’t as well as I wanted to do, but I’m still happy with my score. I’m definitely gunning to improve this weekend!

be_proud_but_never_satisfied_

Questions of the Day

What do you think about being proud but never satisfied? Does it describe you?

P.S. A friend just told me about Gluten-Free Saver, which is like a Groupon/Living Social website for gluten-free products—just wanted to share!

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl March 15, 2013 at 3:31 pm

I love your workout top. It looks super comfortable and I love the bright colors. What brand is it?

Tina March 15, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Thanks! Reebok! :)

Debbi March 15, 2013 at 3:39 pm

That’s a great number, congrats

Theresa March 15, 2013 at 3:45 pm

You’re so like-able but yet I still hate you because your body is seriously rockin’! No fair!!

Peach March 15, 2013 at 5:08 pm

First, congrats on an amazing effort! And yes, be proud but never satisfied – that’s why I love CrossFit. There’s always room to improve. :) 13.2 strategy – 75# is heavy for me, too. Push jerks may be better, but it will fatigue your legs more and may make you resort to step ups on the box jumps. BUT: you may not run out of steam so quickly. Good luck if you redo!

Erin @ The Elliptical Chronicles March 15, 2013 at 5:33 pm

I’ve noticed you and a lot of other Cross Fit people wear those multi-colored knee-high socks. Is it for some performance thing or do you just like them? Just curious – I’m not a cross fitter or anything, so I’m pretty ignorant all around :)

As for the saying, “be proud but never satisfied,” I think the degree to which it can be positive and motivating depends on the person reading it. There are so many people out there who are truly driven by competition and thrive on athletic endeavors and pursuing those endeavors/challenges really benefits them both physically and mentally. However, there are also a great number of people who suffer from just plain over-doing it and never seeing any satisfaction/pride in themselves and therefore develop negative self-images and sometimes even negative, harmful behaviors (over-exercising, eating disorders, etc.) So, it could trigger self-destructive behavior in some individuals if they’re sensitive in their own perception of themselves.

I’m not sure if that was clear at all – basically, I just mean it depends on the person and how they’re motivated and what they’re motivated by as to whether that saying is a “good” one or not…

Great job on your performance – your workout looks incredibly kick-ass and also terribly intimidating!

Tina March 15, 2013 at 5:37 pm

The socks prevent injuries (scrapes, bruising) from box jumps, deadlifts, rope climbs, etc.

Kim March 15, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Wow, awesome work! That looks TOUGH.

At my box pretty much everyone did step up/step down, even the top athletes. Said it was steadier and faster overall.

Also, I have been reading some articles and discussions saying that there is a high risk of achilles blow if you jump down – some boxes are even making step downs mandatory – so be careful if you go that route on your next attempt!

Art @ Fit at Fifty March 15, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Good Job!
    Congratsulations!

Annie @ eatcleaneatreal March 15, 2013 at 7:03 pm

Whew girl Im just impressed you can do the prescribed rate. My goal is to be able to RX all the games workouts next year…ive only been at it 1 month, so today I did 13.2 with 35#. I felt like such a wuss, but Im just not strong enough. So I would say I am proud for having the courage to start crossfit by myself and even attempt this games workout, but I am definitely NOT satisfied.

Tina March 15, 2013 at 7:40 pm

You’ll get there! I only did one WOD during the Open Rx last year.

Babs March 15, 2013 at 7:08 pm

I like that quote, because I think it’s important to be proud of your hard work and I don’t think there is anything wrong with striving for me, especially if you’re competing against yourself (which I think is the healthiest competition).

Debbie March 15, 2013 at 8:12 pm

I don’t want to sound negative but I know this will: “Carrots and Cake” should be renamed something regarding Cross Fit. I’ve been following you for years and told most of my friends about you, but I can definitely say this blog is so very different from the first time I saw it. I’m not saying that is bad, I just don’t do cross fit so it is not interesting to me. You look strong and awesome so I can see why you love it.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers March 15, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Dam, you go Girl! You got some serious muscles!!

Jessica March 15, 2013 at 8:24 pm

I need some of the tall socks for crossfit, where do buy yours?

Tina March 15, 2013 at 8:47 pm

They’re from Reebok! :)

Ellen March 17, 2013 at 5:34 pm

@Tina: Are they compression style or just tall socks? I’m wondering will they help with my calf problems (veins and such) in a slightly more fashionable way when I work out! :)

Tina March 17, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Just tall socks! :)

Ellen March 18, 2013 at 1:33 am

@Tina: @Tina: Thanks for your quick reply :) I still might get some, just ’cause they’re cute!

Patricia Dizon March 15, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Hey Tina! Great job on your first try! I ended up doing push jerks from the start and rebounded on all of my box jumps (would rest at the top). I ended up with 9 rounds + 4 reps (274). It definitely looked harmless on paper, but was a killer WOD!

Jenn March 15, 2013 at 9:10 pm

Just did this and still trying to recover! I watched a few people go before me and realized that it takes me too long to recover and setup again after each real box jump. I pause too long. So instead I did step ups the entire time. In the first round I got to the box as a girl was already on 5 (and she was jumping). I finished all 15 at the same time she did so I think at least for me, they were faster than trying to jump any. Although I’m going again tomorrow morning to watch and I might do it again :) Awesome job hitting 229!! I got 213 and was so spent!

Cheryl @ Happy is the new healthy March 15, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Hey!

I loved 13.2 (thankfully, 13.1 kicked my butt!). I got 269 :) and have the WOD cough to prove it!

My strategy: save my legs for the deads and the box jumps by doing push presses for the shoulder to overhead. For the box jumps, I did step ups on the corner of the box.

Good luck this weekend! :)

Megan March 15, 2013 at 9:47 pm

@Cheryl @ Happy is the new healthy: lol I could not stop coughing after the WOD today either + my abs are so sore from yesterday’s WOD it was terrible !

Megan March 15, 2013 at 9:46 pm

I’ve been doing crossfit for two weeks and did this today but with 45.. I would love to be able to Rx one day! I smoked my shin on my last round of box jumps and it literally bled for hours… I was so tired I literally just threw myself at the box and hoped for the best lol. I’m becoming addicted to crossfit !

Julie March 15, 2013 at 9:56 pm

I just did 13.2 and switched to step-ups after the scond round… Best decision ever! I wasn’t so winded from jumping anymore and I could fly through the shoulder to overheads and dead lifts. I am actually pretty surprisd they allowed step ups. I also started out doing push jerks from first round and I think that saved me a lot of energy in the long run. I ended up doing 250.

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats March 15, 2013 at 10:00 pm

Wow that looked like a tough workout in any case. I’ve not tried crossfit but it seems very intimidating in what they have you do but I applaud those who do it. I like that phrase as it is true you do need to acknowledge what you’ve achieved but never give up or stop trying to get better.

Stephanie March 15, 2013 at 10:05 pm

Those boxes look SO scary!

Melody March 15, 2013 at 10:13 pm

I just finished mine! Started out with push presses, but that only lasted for about two rounds. I ended up doing split jerks for the rest and I don’t think I could have got the weight up without doing it that way. Took a little more time, but took a little less energy.

I also did step-ups through the whole thing. Tried one jump and about lost my balance and I’m usually pretty good at those! The presses and deadlifts just gassed my legs. There is definitely a strategy to this time. I ended up with 201, which I was really pleased with considering the weight was super heavy for me on the presses.

Way to go with your score!

Melissa Love March 15, 2013 at 10:14 pm

I got 220 — I was super impressed with myself. I just wanted to get past 4 rounds haha! I did push jerks — way faster then split and I still got the extra push to get under it :) GOOD LUCK for round 2 — can’t wait to see how you do!

Melissa Love March 15, 2013 at 10:18 pm

@Melissa Love: PS i step up & step down — I tore my achilles 2 years ago — typically I hop up and step down during a metcon — tried one round and knew it wouldn’t work for this one. Since it was ok to step up & down I took advantage of it!

Lisa March 15, 2013 at 10:14 pm

GREAT job on 13.2!!

My crossfit coach says that jumping off a box is to be avoided at all costs. It can seriously injure your achilles. We are only allowed to jump up and step down at my box. Thought I’d pass on this article that my coach has every athlete at our box read…

Gemma March 15, 2013 at 10:16 pm

I did it this morning and got 122 – not amazing by any stretch but 2 above my goal (anything shoulder to overhead is my nemesis!). I would definitely do step up and step downs…two girls of similar fitness at our box went at the same time – one doing jumps and one doing step up/step downs and you could see a massive difference in their endurance from about 2 mins on. The step up girl used them as her recovery and she ended up with 278 – pretty inspiring! Good luck!

Tina March 16, 2013 at 3:51 am

It sounds like the step-up is definitely the way to go!

Megan March 15, 2013 at 10:47 pm

To a “T.” I am a very proud person by nature but I an never, never satisfied. I will always push myself even when whatever I am doing is “good enough.”

Brooke March 15, 2013 at 10:59 pm

I noticed you put up a picture of Gluten Free Chocolate Chex cereal on instagram.. Haven’t tried that one yet but the honey one is freaking amazing. Just in case you wanted another option ;)

Tina March 16, 2013 at 3:44 am

I’ll have to try that one next! :)

Mags @ From the Mind of Mags March 15, 2013 at 11:20 pm

I think that’s a great quote! I think it’s perfect to be happy with yourself and enjoy your successes but never settle. It’s great to continue to push yourself and to grow.

xoxo
    Mags

Samantha March 16, 2013 at 12:28 am

I think that for me is the “be proud” part I need to work on. It’s a great saying and extremely hard on accomplish both.

Serena March 16, 2013 at 2:51 am

I expect a lot from myself. I am proud when I do more than I planned, but not when I struggle through and do the bare minimum. I have yet to be satisfied.

Kristen March 16, 2013 at 8:34 am

I completed 13.2 on Thursday. My coach gave me the best advice when she told me to stick with step ups! I always jump up – step down, but stepping up on 20″ was so easy and allowed me to save my energy for the shoulder to overheads and it really wasn’t that much slower! I started with presses, then switched to jerks after 2 rounds. I got 155 and wanted to try again this morning but I kinked my neck doing this WOD and don’t think it’d be smart to risk any more injury trying it again! I think placement of your equipment is big here too; I had to step over my bar to get to my box each time than back over the bar to get to the presses. This was probably a 3 second loss each round!! Great job with attempt 1 and good luck with your next one!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More March 16, 2013 at 9:30 am

That workout sounds killer! I want to try CrossFit but I still feel so intimidated by it…

She Rocks Fitness March 16, 2013 at 10:22 am

WOMAN your legs look amazing! Cannot believe the definition you have going on there…so awesome. That’s a really good question by the way. I put a lot of pressure on myself and recently have found that I am not finding myself satisfied enough. It is time to make some changes; be happy; be proud; and be satisfied with who I am and what I’m creating. :)

Alyssa March 16, 2013 at 10:26 am

You did WAY better than I did! I finished with 170 reps but I’ve NEVER done a 75 lb push press, so I was proud that I was able to do that 6 times! From what I saw, people who did push jerks (I switched to split jerks for my last set) and kept them consistent in combination with box step-ups, got on average 15 more reps! Nuts! I think if you use the same leg to step up for 7 reps and then switch legs for the last 8 then you can do them pretty fast. Great job!

CathyB March 16, 2013 at 10:36 am

Don’t you dare change a thing with your blogging! I love reading here and esp the Crossfit and your diet and how you balance it all activity and intestinal issues (was that a nice way to say it? :) ) I was on the fence for a long time about Crossfit and between reading here and a new found friend I took the jump 2 weeks ago. I am hooked, not only for the everchanging activity but the camaderie of the group. Its the ultimate playground :)

Tina March 16, 2013 at 11:22 am

Yay! So glad to hear that! :)

Candice@allthingsyogi.com March 16, 2013 at 12:26 pm

You are looking strong! congrats on your progress with Crossfit!

The statement “proud but never satisfied” deffinitely describes me. I like to push the envelope and am a perfectionist in some areas of my life. I believe this is a blessing and a curse. There is something to be said about being able to embrace what you have accomplished and soak it in.

Julie March 16, 2013 at 1:04 pm

I’ve only been doing CrossFit for a couple of weeks, but I got 165 and it was my first Rx and first time I was on top of the leaderboard for our class time! So 200+ is insane. The step ups worked well for some people.

Heidi March 16, 2013 at 1:51 pm

I love “Be Proud but Never Satisfied.” LOVE. One of the best things about becoming more fit is accomplishing something you never thought was possible, and then setting the bar even higher in your new goal. To become satisfied means that I would stop growing = boring! :)

Val March 16, 2013 at 3:35 pm

I just did 13.2 this morning and it rocked my world. Definitely deceptive. I did push jerks for a few of the shoulder to overheads and didn’t like it. You have to remember to bring your feet back together if you split jerk it, which is energy consuming. I did step ups for the box jumps, as did most of the athletes I worked out with today. Definitely saves you some gas for the shoulder to overheads. 233…

Shannon March 16, 2013 at 3:59 pm

I am impressed you could do box jumps (without step-ups) the whole time. I had to switch as the deadlifts made my legs feel like jello when I turned to jump. It was easy to get into a fast rhythm doing step-ups!

Amy @ Fun With Family and Fitness March 16, 2013 at 7:11 pm

Amazing! Looks like a lot of fun……and hard work!!!! You should be super proud of yourself! I did a “dry run” of my black belt test (mine’s in the fall) this morning with the group that was actually testing for theirs this time around. No heavy weights like you were doing, but a 2 mile run, line drills, sparring, katas (forms), blocks and counters and a grueling workout at the end for 45 minutes…..including BOX JUMPS!!!!!!! (Our Sensei calls them the ROGUE boxes of pain! He’s not kidding!!! :) ) The whole thing lasts for 2 1/2 hours. I know yours is a different type of workout, but I feel your pain! :)

mi-an dela cruz March 17, 2013 at 8:14 am

I did the 13.2 Rx’d. only two months into CF. those overhead presses killed me! i only got 81 reps. hahah awesome numbers!

Cara March 17, 2013 at 8:55 am

I jus started crossfit a few weeks ago and loved 13.2. I thought it was much easier than 13.1. Ugh burpees. I ended up doing step ups and downs after the first round, it actually seemed faster. Also my legs were such jello that I actually missed the land twice so thought it was a sign to just to step ups. Haha.

jane March 17, 2013 at 11:37 am

i dont want this to sound really negative, but the reason i have avoided cross fit is because all of the girls get so butch looking.

Tina March 17, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Haha! I’d much rather look butch than skinny any day! :)

luv what you do March 17, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Way to go! That workout looks brutal!
    This might seem like an odd question but what do the 13.1 and 13.2 stand for? When I see 13.1, I think miles : )

Tina March 17, 2013 at 7:32 pm

The number stands for the year and workout #. 2013 + workout 1 = 13.1.

Meghan@themeghamix March 18, 2013 at 11:29 am

I did push jerks almost the whole time and did step up/step downs.

Kelly@BalancedDaily March 18, 2013 at 2:30 pm

7+19 is awesome! I did this workout on Friday with 75lbs, doing all push jerks and finished 5 full rounds, which was good for me. The weight was intimidating but jerking it helped. And the box jumps killed me too, but it was pretty fun overall!