• Recap of CrossFit Open WOD 13.1

March 8, 2013

Holy goodness, Open WOD 13.1 was brutal. I still can’t believe I survived it.

Last night, I was invited to an “Advanced Open Preparation Class” at our box to prepare for the first workout of the CrossFit Open. The class focused on strategy and proper warm-up related to the movements, so we could get a feel for the WOD before we officially do it this weekend. The class was also an opportunity to do a modified version (scaled in volume or duration) of the workout.

Mal and I are going away this weekend, so the prep class ended up being the “real deal” for us. A few other people were in the same boat and going away this weekend, so Mal and I had some friendly competition to motivate us last night. Woohoo! (Side note: I can’t imagine my life without CrossFit. I love this sh*t.)

003

The first workout of the 2013 CrossFit Open was no joke. Burpees. Snatches. 17 minutes. Yikes.

CrossFit_Open_Workout_13.1
    [image source]

I honestly had the worst butterflies in my stomach before this workout. Colitis stuff + nervous stomach… forget about it. After stressing out all day about the WOD, I was happy to just do it already!

3…2…1… GO!

010

Before we started the WOD, we discussed all sorts of strategies for the Burpees. Lots of people talked about pacing themselves and using this time as active recovery to prepare for the Snatches.

011

I knew I could do the 45-pound Snatches without a problem, so I flew through the Burpees. I didn’t go balls-to-the-wall, but I did them unbroken at a pretty fast pace.

008

I planned to do the Snatches in two sets of 15, but I ended up breaking them into sets of 5.

014

I guess the Burpees took more out of me than I thought they would! Tip: Don’t go too hard on the Burpees.

016

Mal was directly in front of me doing the WOD at the same time. It’s always so motivating to watch him. He’s quite the athlete.

017

After 30 Snatches at 45 pounds, it was back to the Burpees—only 30 this time, but I really started to feel them.

023

I wasn’t nearly as speedy with my second set as my first. Active recovery indeed.

024

A little while later, I made it to the 75-pound Snatches. I walked up to the bar, set up, and then did this weird pull/immediately-drop-the-bar move. With wide eyes, I looked at my friend Ashley, who was judging me, and just said “nope.” We stared at each other for a second, and I sort of panicked. I thought I might be done right then, but I knew I could Snatch 75 pounds, so I stopped and took about 20 seconds to catch my breath. While I rested, Ashley cheered me on. Thank God for her yesterday. She definitely got me through this workout!

034

Eventually, I managed to do a few Snatches at 75 pounds. I don’t know if it was my adrenaline kicking in or just sheer will to get through the Snatches, but I literally muscled through each one of them, one at a time.

I have to admit, my form was a little horrendous at times, but I managed to get through all 30 of the 75-pound Snatches and the 20 Burpees that followed. I had about a minute left on the clock, so I put the 100 pounds on my bar to try the next set of Snatches, but I just couldn’t get it up and ran out of time. My 1RM for Snatch is only 85 pounds (back in June), so 100 pounds was really ambitious, especially after that workout.

Husband-wife face-off:

033
    [Please ignore my terrible form.]

Even though my Snatch definitely needs work (Kerrie and I set a new goal to work on our technique), I really surprised myself last night. It might not always come through on CNC (and I don’t want to depress you with my daily sob-stories), but I’ve been really down in the dumps about my health lately. I often get stuck on all the things my body can’t do and where it’s deficient, so it felt really great to be able to get through such a tough WOD. Hopefully, this feeling continues for the rest of the Open!

I_surived_Open_WOD_13.1_

When was the last time YOU surprised yourself?

P.S. Mal and I were invited to the most amazing all-inclusive resort in Vermont this weekend. I still can’t believe we were invited. This place is seriously incredible! (I’ve been obsessing over the website all week long.) I’ll have a full recap of our experience on Monday, but, in the meantime, feel free to follow along on Instagram. There’s also a live feed on the main page of CNC, so be sure to check back for updates!

Kymberley March 8, 2013 at 9:53 pm

I got 100….actually I got 123 but I had to scale my second set of snatches so they didn’t count. But after doing crossfit for only about 4 months and just wanting to join in the excitement of the Open I was happy with that! We joined up with the 3 other affiliates in the area to complete the workout so the atmosphere was insane – 70 competitors and about the same number of spectators. I was super nervous but wow it was awesome :)

luv what you do March 8, 2013 at 10:39 pm

Have fun in Vermont! I am super jealous!!!
    That workout looks crazy tough! I am new to CrossFit but struggle with that form/strength balance. I want to be able to keep up with the group but also know that good form will prevent injury. It’s a tough balance. Stay positive and enjoy some down time this weekend!

Janny March 8, 2013 at 11:28 pm

I’m doing an abs challenge at my gym for the month of March, and I keep surprising myself during planks! I didn’t think I could do it, but I am!

Angela March 9, 2013 at 1:23 am

You are a badass!! Your shirt says it all, strength is beautiful!! You’ve got it all girl!

Jodea @ chillichocolatelove.com March 9, 2013 at 3:16 am

I surprised myself by keeping pace with a much fitter runner in my military fitness class this week. She made me push myself.

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats March 9, 2013 at 3:28 am

Wow you are very inspiring with your workouts!

Last time I surprised myself was when I ran 10km when I had not done it for a whilst and I thought there was no way I still had the distance in me.

Coco March 9, 2013 at 7:33 am

Badass! Good job!

She Rocks Fitness March 9, 2013 at 8:14 am

I surprised myself yesterday during my hot yoga class! It was one of those classes when I seriously didn’t not think I was going to make it through after just 5 minutes. Balance was off; felt nauseous; tired; and mind was all over the place. But I sucked it up and powered through it. I felt flipping awesome when it was done. It was worth it and glad I surprised myself and stuck with it. :)

Rebecca @ Miss Magnolia Munches & Moves March 9, 2013 at 8:14 am

I’ve been waiting for you to post you 13.1 recap! Congrats! You rocked it!

Heidi March 9, 2013 at 9:04 am

Great job!! Way to power through! I am training for my second marathon (I said I would never do it again, ha), and I loved being surprised at how strong I feel on my long runs :)

Alyssa March 9, 2013 at 11:16 am

Awesome job with the WOD!! :)

Veterinarianess March 9, 2013 at 12:19 pm

I love that you two work out together! It’s so inspiring for other couples :)

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl March 9, 2013 at 2:33 pm

This sounds REALLY brutal. I am impressed! You are a rockstar :).

Camille David March 9, 2013 at 2:44 pm

I am so impressed!! 30 snatches @ 75lb!! My max is around 90… but that many reps, I would die.

Gotta try this sometime!

Maria March 9, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Tina you are AMAZING! I only got as far as the 20 burpees and couldn’t do a single 75-lb snatch. Of course I’m less than 5 ft and less than 100 lbs so I wasn’t really expecting to be able to do it in the first place!

Michelle March 9, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Awesome job! I only got to 106 – those 75lb snatches were killer after 70 burpees!

kirsten March 9, 2013 at 4:47 pm

I surprised myself this past week! I’m home on my spring break from college (also in VT!!) and my boyfriend and I recently called things off..normally something as emotionally trying for me would result in tons of emotional eating, accompanied by guilt, work-out crazes and the like, but I’m elated and astonished to say that I’ve kept my eating and exercise totally under control :)

kirsten March 9, 2013 at 4:47 pm

wymberley March 9, 2013 at 5:28 pm

The burpees really slowed me down. Im 6 feet tall and this big ol body just cant go as fast as I want!! I knocked out 24 of the #75 before time ran out. I cant wait for next week! Way to go on the 13.1, what a killer!!

Meg March 9, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Wow, that Vermont resort looks incredible. I’m from the Midwest but went to college in Maine, so I can’t wait to live vicariously through your beautiful New England getaway.

Candice@allthingsyogi.com March 9, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Today, 14 miles felt good!

sti @ little windmill yoga March 9, 2013 at 8:18 pm

BADASSERY!!!

Avery @ Southern Belle Living Well March 10, 2013 at 1:42 pm

GIRL. LOOK AT YOU!!!! Whoo hoo!

Adrianna March 10, 2013 at 9:14 pm

get it girl!

Caitlin March 11, 2013 at 11:08 am

you killed that workout!

Cheryl @ Happy is the new healthy March 11, 2013 at 11:37 am

Congrats, Tina! I am inspired by you. Those snatches kicked my butt. I didn’t think I’d get past 100 (I had a rough time on Friday trying to do 75lbs even when I was fresh) but adrenaline totally worked in my favour and I managed to get 6 of them! I love CrossFit! :)

Ashley March 11, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Hey Tina,

I did the opens last year when I had a membership to CF but this year I just cant afford it. I want to do the opens at home just to see what I can do but I don’t have a bar or plates, any idea what I can do in place of snatches for an equally challenging feat or should I just buck up and buy a bar and plates?

Ginny March 11, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Tina have been reading your blog for over a year and never posted a comment until today. I understand a bit about health issues as I have some of what you have. Thanks for being honest that it is a bit tough at times–I often have envied your amazing physical strength. But you are real too-wow!! You are on the right track in learning to focus on all that you CAN do and remember your many blessings!

Meghan@themeghamix March 11, 2013 at 1:53 pm

I love it!!! That’s absolutely incredible!!! I got 106 after having the stomach flu so I was really happy.

Erin March 11, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Tina, you are one tough lady! That workout looks absolutely brutal. I can’t even imagine getting through that many Burpees quickly let alone really heavy snatches. Great job! I’m impressed you are able to do CrossFit at the level you are, and you don’t seem to let your health issues stop you. I have an upper airway chronic illness and a minor hiatal hernia, so I have good days and bad days, too. It’s always best to focus on what our bodies CAN do than what they can’t. Seriously, you’re a beast! Keep up the good work.

elvin@wodlounge.com March 11, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Wow that’s an awesome outing. Most folks at my box only made it to 100. The 2nd set snatches was just too heavy or their form made it difficult to get anything going. Nice work!

Sara March 15, 2013 at 9:24 am

Congrats on your 150 Tina! I am just getting over to your blog now to read your recap. 13.1 was a nightmare! I feel your pain that those 75# snatches felt like 100#. Regardless, I started Crossfit because I am a long time reader, and you gave me the courage to give it a shot. One year later, I has literally changed me and my husband’s life. I dont comment ever really, but I have been reading for years and just wanted to say thanks! Wish me luck as I take on 13.2 today! Eeek!