• Media Event at Sports Club/LA Chestnut Hill

March 27, 2013

Yesterday, I was invited to a private media event to explore the newly opened Sports Club/LA in Chestnut Hill, and it was an awesome experience. You know how I loovvve fancy fitness clubs! Seriously, I wish I lived closer so I could work out there all the time.

Fireplace (600x400)

When I arrived at Sports Club/LA, I was warmly greeted, given a gift bag, and then taken to the locker room, so I could change into fitness gear, which was provided for the event.

sport_club_la_chestnut_hill_lobby

The locker room was gorgeous, spacious, and pristine. I totally could see myself hanging out and relaxing there after a workout.

1195 (600x400)

The lockers had those fancy digital locks, so you don’t need to bring a lock or have a keycard to store your belongings.

008

The locker room had everything you’d need to get ready after a workout, including shampoo, conditioner, body wash, razors, shaving cream, and shower caps in the showers and body lotion, hair gel, mouthwash, Q-tips, and hair dryers outside of the showers.

016

You really wouldn’t need to bring much if you wanted to pretty yourself after a workout.

006

Once everyone arrived for the event, Travis Murray, General Manager, Sports Club/LA Chestnut Hill, gave us a tour of the facilities, which, I must say, are incredible. In a nutshell (this is how I summed up my experience to Mal last night): Sports Club/LA Chestnut Hill has all of my favorite workouts in one place.

018

The first place we visited on our tour was the “For Kids Only” childcare program, which everyone seemed really excited about. There was an adorable under-the-sea theme painted by local non-profit, Artists for Humanity, on the walls and all kinds of interactive and enriching games and toys. The cost of childcare is extra ($13/hour), but there are also package deals for parents who might use this service frequently.

015

Our next stop was the cardio space, which had tons of brand new Precor equipment with Priva, which is basically “a fitness co-pilot” that allows you to set weekly goals based on calorie burn, distance, or workout duration. Priva tracks your progress and saves favorite workouts so you can do them again. Pretty neat, right?

019

021

Then, we headed to the “turf area,” which is used for BLITZ, Sport Club/LA’s high-intensity strength training and conditioning program, which incorporates functional movement, power, endurance, agility, core, and balance into progression-style workouts that are customizable and scalable to the individual. Classes are typically 6-8 people.

023

BLITZ utilizes a variety of exercises and equipment in order to get a full body workout. Some of the exercises: turf drills, prowler pushes, medicine ball slams, pull-ups, kettlebell swings, plyometrics, and power lifting. Sounds familiar, right? CrossFit anyone?

026

CrossFit actually came up quite a few times throughout the event, and it was pretty cool that Sports Club/LA realized they needed to offer this type of training to keep members happy. Smaiyra Million, CEO of Sports Club/LA, actually told us that BLITZ was created in response to members’ demand for CrossFit-style workouts.

BLITZ is not included with the cost of membership at Sports Club/LA, and the additional price is determined by how many classes you attend each week.

025

The tour of the facilities continued into the Pilates studio.

027

And then yoga studio.

029

And finally into the group exercise room, which offers all kinds of class from bootcamp to barre. Between the 3 rooms, the Club offers over 80 classes each week!

030

After the tour, we had a chance to sample some of the fitness offerings at the Club, including a REV cycling class, BLITZ, and yoga.

The REV class was unlike any other indoor cycling I’ve ever experienced. It was a multi-media spinning class, which simulated rides, races, and tours on a panoramic screen (the same ones at IMAX theaters) and, OMG, it was awesome. I totally geeked-out and loved it.

Our ride started in Hawaii and then moved to Spain, where there were a lot of hills, and then finished on the streets of Boston.

040

Riding through Boston was so cool. I loved flying through intersections and not worrying about cars! (FYI: I get motion sickness fairly easily, but I didn’t experience it during this class. I felt a little weird when we were speeding down hills in Spain, but it was more of a “fun” feeling than a “sick” feeling.)

042

Sarah and me post-ride!

036

After REV Class, it was time to give BLITZ a try. We were paired up for a circuit-style workout, which gave us a feel for what a real class would be like. It reminded me a lot of CrossFit!

Blitz_workout

The last class we tried was yoga. The space was so beautiful, and it definitely put me in the mood to get my zen on.

058

After our workout, we had a chance to enjoy the locker room amenities and soak up the health benefits of the salt-infused steam room. I spent about 10 minutes inside the steam room, and it definitely helped me relax.

1054 (600x400)

The event concluded with a reception at The Cottage, which was located right next door to Sports Club/LA.

062

065

I hadn’t eaten since 11:00, so I was famished and chowed down. Everything tasted so good!

066

068

069

What’s the nicest gym you’ve ever visited?

P.S. Just wanted to share some info about a wonderful culinary charity event coming up next month. The 5th Annual Chefs for a Cure will be held on Thursday, April 11 at The Residences at W Boston. A bunch of top Boston-area chefs will be there and 100% of the proceeds from the event benefit local breast health services in Massachusetts.

tracy March 27, 2013 at 2:21 pm

something that i found that you may be interested in:

Tina March 27, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Ooooooh, that sounds delicious! I might have to sign up for that! Thank you!

Monique @ burpeestobubbly.com March 27, 2013 at 2:22 pm

i met Sarah at a blogging even at C2 this past weekend and she was talking about the event you just blogged about- I was so jealous!!! That gym looks amazing. Nice locker rooms make everythign better. That Blitz workout looks similar to UXF Ripped offered at the BSC’s. What a fun day!

Becca March 27, 2013 at 2:45 pm

It’s hard to relate to your blog anymore and I have been a long time reader. I know you probably don’t care about losing one reader because you’re getting clicks from else where but what really made me pull the plug is every time I click over to your site it’s another freebie. I hope you can learn to get back to your old ways and find ways to relate to your readers more.

Tina March 27, 2013 at 3:25 pm

I’m sorry you feel that way, and I’m sad to see you go. I guess I’m confused by your comment, however. How is being invited to a media event, which is part of my job as a healthy living/fitness blogger, consider a “freebie”?

Ashleigh March 27, 2013 at 6:18 pm

@Becca:

I would be lying to myself if I also didnt say that I have been feeling this way. I too have been a long time reader, (pre Harvard job for reference) and have had a hard time relating to your blog for a while. I fully understand and support that this is your business, and would also not be able to pass up the awesome experiences you are having, for sure. But I also have a hard time understanding how posh Vermont getaways and Hawaii vacations tie into fitness blogger/healthy living. Relaxation and time away is of course part of healthy living but it just feels that every-other post is in some way an advertisment.

Tina March 27, 2013 at 6:36 pm

This blog is about my life and (almost) everything that happens in it. CNC is also my job (aka something that supports me financially – just like your job), so I hope you can understand why I make certain business decisions to keep it running.

Molly B March 27, 2013 at 8:30 pm

@Ashleigh: I think Tina has worked her butt off to make this blog so successful, and we as readers should remember that we don’t see all the work that goes on behind the scenes. These reviews are so fun to read, Tina, and I personally appreciate that you haven’t lost your humility and self-deprecating sense of humor. Enjoy the perks — you deserve it!

Tina March 27, 2013 at 8:33 pm

Thank you!!! :)

Megan Infantino March 28, 2013 at 8:10 pm

@Tina: Well I still enjoy your blog Tina! I’m LOVING all the CrossFit posts. As a matter of fact, you encouraged me to sign up for CrossFit here in Florida!

Ashleigh March 28, 2013 at 11:12 am

@Molly B:
    I definately said in my other comment that I understand and support that this is her business. I also should have said that yes, I understand that there are perks (that Tina, you should absolutely enjoy) and hell yes I think we readers can all see that she has worked her bum off to get to this level of success- doing something she loves to do. But, are the readers not somewhat also responsible for helping her get to this level? Because of hits isnt that why more companies reachout, make her more known etc? I was only saying that because of that level of success that is at now, it has made it less relatable here for me. It feels like its only about the perks now and less about the content of the posts- which are primarly advertisments even when they are *not* (Laughing cow only centered recipes). I know I can “not read” if I dont like it, and I didnt mean to stir up some big comment fight- I just agreed with the previous commenter that there is *something* i feel like i miss from reading in the past. And Tina, i also in earnest, think you deserve your success.

Katie March 28, 2013 at 12:31 pm

I absolutely agree with this comment. I love carrotsncake and have been reading for EVER, but I have changed from checking everyday to checking every 3-4 days and skipping the posts with the trips/freebies. Maybe it’s just coincedental that these oppurtunities are popping up all at once? Either way, I’ll keep checking every few days to check out the “daily” posts – that’s what keeps me coming back! :)

michelle kim March 27, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Holy crap. That is probably the nicest gym I’ve ever seen!!!
    I certainly haven’t been to a nice gym (haha, nothing compares to this one you went to!)… just clean ones in Vegas, I guess.

Mary Slagel@Healthy Food Newsletter March 27, 2013 at 3:05 pm

I can’t say I’ve ever visited a gym that even touches that one. If I had found a gym with a locker room like that, I would never leave. It reminds me of behind the stage at fashion shows with the mirrors. I hate having to carry all my shower stuff to the gym but I also think its really gross to not shower before heading home because then I get distracted and it takes me a little while before I get in the shower. Gross! If I had a shower with those amenities you can bet I’d be working my butt off for a good sweat and amazing post shower.

Suzanne March 27, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Wow, that’s all I can say! Umm, not sure I’ve ever been to such a beautiful well-equipped facility…

Daniela March 27, 2013 at 3:09 pm

The nicest club I’ve ever been to is LA fitness in Sterling, VA. It even has a pool! And the membership is around $60/month (well, a few years ago).

Audrey @ In Shape Cupcake March 27, 2013 at 3:42 pm

O M G, that has to be the nicest gym I have ever seen! I need to go there. Goodness

erica March 27, 2013 at 3:47 pm

woah. i don’t think i could ever consider any gym i’ve ever been to as “nice” after seeing this gym! wow. i want to go there! lol.

Fizz @ fizzsbizz March 27, 2013 at 3:59 pm

That is the nicest effing gym I’ve ever seen. I would probably go and just lounge around feeling fancy. Beautiful!

Margaret March 27, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Thank you so much for coming Tina, and for this fabulous review! We loved having you and hope to see you there again soon!

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance March 27, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Sign me up!! I would LIVE in that gym!

Yanet March 27, 2013 at 4:21 pm

wow thats some gorgeous place! i wanna live there.. sadly never been to a nice gym.. greeting from California :)

(Un)intentional Happenings March 27, 2013 at 4:47 pm

There were ants on the floor of the locker room at LA fitness this morning. Does that count?!?

Tina March 27, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Oh, no!!

Sara, Food Blogger on a Diet / Ms. Adventures in Italy March 27, 2013 at 4:49 pm

My friend is a member at the SF one, and when I’m in town I usually go with her – it’s definitely a luxury and something I would probably pay for if I had one near me!

Did this location have a “quiet” or “meditation” room? I thought that was pretty cool in the SF one – you can go in and relax or sleep if you need to!

Tina March 27, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Not that I saw, but there were a lot of relaxing spaces with couches and comfy chairs! Those quiet areas sound really cool!

Theodora March 27, 2013 at 5:16 pm

Damn I wish I could have come!

Liana@RunToMunch March 27, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Damn I wish nicer gyms would come to Malden. Yo! LA FITNESS, please come to Malden!

Miranda @ Miranda Runs March 27, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Can I live there? Seriously, I wouldn’t need anything else in life. ;)

AJ March 27, 2013 at 8:09 pm

SWANKY! I think the spinning classes would be cool, but I would be all over the BLITZ stuff, as well as TRX. However, I’m a little creeped out that they had you ALL in the same exact outfit.

-AJ
    FitTravelerAJ.blogspot.com

Tina March 27, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Hahahaha! Why??

Debbie March 27, 2013 at 10:35 pm

I noticed that too…
    very ” Stepford Wives” or something … creepy !!
    ;)

Avery @ Southern Belle Living Well March 27, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Whoa…that’s not a gym, that’s a spa! It’s absolutely BEAUTIFUL in there. I’ve never seen a gym with turf or indoor virtual spinning before. So cool!

Molly @ RDexposed March 27, 2013 at 8:14 pm

I couldn’t help but sort of laugh at this gym. I mean, imagine 3rd world countries getting a drift that we have such elaborate places to burn calories so we can eat more (exteme scenario).
    It kind of reminds me of the point that Hunger Games drove home, too. Such extravagance for (basically) a non-essential thing in life.
    You know what I mean?

BroccoliHut March 27, 2013 at 8:43 pm

Wow! I’ve never seen such a pretty locker room! I think I might just hang out there the whole time! Haha!
    Have to agree with AJ, the matching outfits are a little too “Brave New World” for me…

CathyB March 27, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Relax and keep doing what you’re doing! Life continually changes and you are obviously growing in your biz which also is your passion. I personally love seeing what you are experiencing. Reading this blog as well as a gentle push from a good friend convinced me to take the plunge into Crossfit 4 weeks ago. I am totally hooked ! I love the variety, support and fellowship.
    thank you for sharing! Cathy

Tina March 27, 2013 at 9:08 pm

So glad you decided to try CrossFit!!! :)

Babs March 27, 2013 at 9:29 pm

That gym seems awesome. I belonged to 24hr fitness and it was really good. My gym now is a no frills one, and I wish I belonged to a fancy schmancy one.

Mary March 28, 2013 at 2:45 am

That gym is AMAZING! Beats our local gym with rubbish all over the floor, kids running everywhere and broken equipment!
    The food looked pretty good too. :)

katie March 28, 2013 at 6:16 am

i just run and go for walks outside, even in inclement weather. somehow i’m still a size 0- go figure!

Annie Atherton March 28, 2013 at 8:31 am

From what I can tell, it cost about $140 a month? Was BLITZ the only pay class? How does this compare to your CrossFit membership? Up here in Maine, we pay less for this stuff, but I feel like $140 a month in Boston is actually super reasonable, and the money you would save on shampoo and such would be great :) haha

Tina March 28, 2013 at 8:43 am

$140 is cheaper than what I pay for CF. You’d have to pay extra for the BLITZ classes, but you’d get use of the whole gym and all of the classes (spinning, barre, yoga). I think it’s actually a pretty good deal for what you get!

Annie Atherton March 28, 2013 at 1:38 pm

@Tina: I agree, it is a pretty good deal. It is so freaking fancy though, I’d walk in and be like, here are my kids, I’m going to chill out in the locker room for an hour :)

Katy March 28, 2013 at 8:56 am

Hi Tina! Thanks for the tour of new Sports Club LA! I actually live near there (The Cottage is one of my favorite restaurants!!!) Do you know if they are doing any sort of free or discounted trial memberships? I’d love to get in there and check it out myself before making the commitment.

Tina March 28, 2013 at 9:14 am

I’m actually working on a little something with Sports Club/LA. Hopefully, I’ll hear back from them today! :)

Devonshire March 28, 2013 at 9:44 am

That is a very fancy gym! You had me at the locker room! lol I’m sure it’s super expensive to have a membership to but, it was fun looking at all your pictures.

Don’t let the hater’s bother you. I think it’s awesome that blogging is your job, i someday hope to get there. I always love reading about your life and adventures (Hawaii was by far my favorite!), i love when you share recipes (the mustard chicken wings were a hit at my house!), your workouts are tough but, they’re fun. Keep doing what you’re doing and you’ll always have me as a reader! Thanks for the posts!

Tina March 28, 2013 at 10:00 am

Thank you! :)

puddingtummy March 29, 2013 at 7:07 am

Wow, that is the nicest gym I have ever seen. We don’t have anything quite that up-market where I live.. I’m very jealous. Which I had the capital to start my own gym chain!

Katy March 29, 2013 at 9:08 am

Wow that place looks amazing!! I think I would be very intimidated. lol. I work in Wellesley and I’ve heard such great things about The Cottage but I’ve never been! Looks sooo yummy!

Allison Schnake March 29, 2013 at 10:05 am

Oh my gosh! Can I move in to that gym???

Jackie March 29, 2013 at 10:36 am

The nicest gym I’ve been to (that rivals this one you highlighted) is the Canyon Ranch Spa at the Palazzo/Venetian in Las Vegas. It’s very similar and has a lot of fitness classes too, which is great when you’re on vacation.

Sara August 11, 2013 at 12:37 am

I adore your blog. :) You rock!

Tina March 28, 2013 at 10:10 pm

Woohoo! What do you think so far?