• Go. Away.

March 20, 2013

Best mid-March snow caption ever:

Go._Away._
    [image source: CrossFit 781]

Yep, that’s exactly how I felt yesterday morning when I woke up and saw more snow.

Go. Away.

That’s when punctuation makes things hilarious. Am I right? I literally laughed out loud when I saw this caption on our box’s homepage the other day. Haha!

Breakfast

The “good” thing about the snow, however, was that Mal had a snow day, which meant we got to hang out all day yesterday. Yay! Unfortunately, a pushy pug annoyed us out of bed at 6:15 AM, so we didn’t get to sleep in, but it was still nice to have a leisurely breakfast together.

010

On the menu for breakfast: egg sandwiches!

014

I added leftover sautéed mustard greens and a wedge of Swiss Laughing Cow Cheese to mine. It was an egg-cellent breakfast sandwich!

015

Workout

After breakfast, I shoveled us out while Mal took Murphy for a walk. Then, we (Mal and me, not Murphy) headed to CrossFit for a workout.

Snow Day CrossFit

21-15-9
    KB Swings (53, 35)
    Toes-2-Bar

L3: (45, 30)
    L2: (35, 25)
    L1: (30, 20)

I really enjoyed the variety of yesterday’s workout. It was like 3 mini WODs in one with a little bit of everything. Variety is the spice of life!

For the Met Con, I ended up doing all of the Toes-to-Bar as Rx. I wasn’t super fast doing them, and I was the last person to finish the workout, but I still did them all. Hooray! Mini victory!

On the way home from CrossFit, Mal and I stopped at 1st Stop for a couple of iced coffees. I went with Butterscotch, but I forgot to order it decaf, so I drank half and saved half for today. It was mighty delicious.

1st Stop Coffee

With iced coffees in hand, Mal and I headed home to tackle our taxes. Running my own business with so many different sources of income + various accounts (retirement, stocks, etc.), we’re more than happy to pay a CPA to do them for us.  Plus, having the peace of mind, knowing that we didn’t screw anything up, is totally worth it. We still needed to organize everything and get all of the different pieces together yesterday. It didn’t take us long, but it took more time that we expected it to.

IMG_2901

Snack

While we worked on our taxes, I snacked on a couple of spoonfuls of peanut butter.

IMG_2904

Lunch

A little while later, Mal offered to make us lunch, which was a couple of tuna melts. Delish.

IMG_2907

We bought another box of Chocolate Chex, which was calling my name, so I ate some after I finished my tuna melt. This time, however, I poured some into a mug with almond milk instead of eating it straight from the bag. Hopefully, this box will last longer than 72 hours!

IMG_2909

Health News & Views

Bananas are a nutritious and delicious ingredient to incorporate into a healthy snack or tasty dessert. In addition to simply tasting great, a banana is a slimming superfood because it’s loaded with resistant starch (RS), a healthy carb that fills you up and helps to boost your metabolism. Here are 3 banana recipes you will go bananas over! (FYI: The Gluten-free Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies are wicked good. Mal and I ate the entire batch in less than 24 hours!)

_MG_7318-900x599_thumb1_thumb

Questions of the Day

What was your favorite thing about snow days as a kid?

Have you done your taxes yet?

P.S. Be sure to enter my giveaway to win a $50 gift card to Wayfair!

Elisabeth March 20, 2013 at 11:41 am

I am sooooo over winter!

Tina March 20, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Ditto. Bring on the sunshine!

sarah k March 20, 2013 at 11:54 am

tina, i’m from nyc and headed to boston this weekend- because of you, the number one thing on my to-do list is to go to mary lou’s for iced coffee! is there any particular flavor you recommend i try first? i’m a little too excited about it :-)

Tina March 20, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Peanut Butter Wonderful! :)

sarah k March 20, 2013 at 1:44 pm

@Tina: awesome, thank you!

Tina March 20, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Quick tip: Ask for just one sugar in it (unless you like your coffee really sweet)!

padma March 20, 2013 at 11:58 am

thank goodness those taxes are done. I’m leaving the country soon, and I just finished. Best part of snow day was getting to sleep in!

Annie @ eatcleaneatreal March 20, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Snow days = snow men. I LOVED playing in the snow as a kid!

Bruna @ morgbu.com March 20, 2013 at 12:04 pm

I grew up in Brazil so never experienced snow until 4 years ago. But when it was cold outside my favorite thing to do was draw and play Lego with my brother. Are those chocolate Chex health-ier? I’m looking for a better cereal option for my husband, he makes poor choices when comes to cereal lol

Chelsea March 20, 2013 at 12:20 pm

I acutally just got done doing my taxes last night! But between being part-time retail and part-time student, there isn’t much of a refund heading my way :( We got snow yesterday, too, but thank goodness it didn’t stick, or I think I might have had to start pulling my hair out.

Sara Flynn March 20, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Ug. I am so over this snow, I hear its suppose to snow again Thursday? Boo. I boo that. Anyway, sounds like a very productive snow day! I went to a group fitness class for the first time, and I am feeling it today!

Sara

Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction March 20, 2013 at 12:44 pm

I used to like snow because of snow days! Now I’m not in school anymore, so I hate snow :(

Morgan@Healthy Food Newsletter March 20, 2013 at 12:46 pm

So happy I live in Florida and get to avoid all of the snow! I’m a student and just got my tax returns and I didn’t have a lot, but there’s enough to cover my electric and internet bill for a few months!

Lee March 20, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Hi
    Some great pics and captions here. Our weather over here in the uk is just as cold they are now giving snow here right up to Easter how depressing is that. Will spring ever arrive I hope so I have definatelty got SAD syndrome.

Great post lee

tess March 20, 2013 at 12:54 pm

yup. actually did my taxes mid February. i like to get them over with ASAP since it’s always so painful… single, renter, and self-employed freelancer. i usually have to spend a week on it going through a year’s worth of business expenses and collecting 30-40 1099 forms that get sent in January. never get a tax return either but oh well- the price to pay for being free of an employer! :) haha. the egg sandwich looked delish- i think i’ll make one for lunch!

Tina March 20, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Yes, indeed! I have a heart attack paying my taxes every quarter, but it’s worth it, no doubt! :)

Ashley March 20, 2013 at 1:01 pm

When I was little I loved playing in the snow with my dog. She absolutely loved bouncing around in it and I would make a snow ball and throw it but she could never find it because once it hit the ground it would fall apart. She got sooo confused every single time and it was super cute.

Meghan @ After the Ivy League March 20, 2013 at 1:15 pm

You guys got a lot more snow than us! No snow days down here, but that is a nice bonus that you get to spend the day together!

Alexandra March 20, 2013 at 1:15 pm

My family lives on the East Coast and you all are truly getting hammered with snow this winter. It’s incredible!
    As for bananas – can’t go a day without one!

Jenny@thewellnessjourney March 20, 2013 at 1:24 pm

I always try to get my own taxes out of the way early, since I actually DO taxes as part of my consulting firm. I can’t tell you how many people wait until the last minute! lol

Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy March 20, 2013 at 1:35 pm

My favorite thing was marshmallows and hot chocolate after playing out in the snow… of course it’s food.

Tina March 20, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Haha! That’s one of my favorite memories from snow days too! :)

Natalie Guarnaschelli March 20, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Tina,
    I am a new fan of your blog and…you! I am a dietitian, yoga instructor, first time half-marathon trainee and kale, coffee, peanut butter, and sour candy lover. I just wanted to say hi and I thoroughly appreciate your mindful and balanced approach towards nutrition and health.

To answer your daily question about favorite thing during snow days? Well, the mere fact that it makes people want to be cozy and curl up by a fire. Hibernation mode is essential ;) Spring wouldn’t be so great without it. Have a great day.

Sarah @ Yogi in Action March 20, 2013 at 1:52 pm

I did my taxes this weekend. And my boyfriend’s…and my friend’s. The disadvantage of being a CA (the Canadian equivalent of a CPA) is everyone suddenly wants to hang out around tax season!

samantha March 20, 2013 at 1:54 pm

that workout looks intense. I can’t wait to start doing cross fit again in a couple months after I have my baby. Thanks for posting all your workouts and recipes. I love all of them!

Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner March 20, 2013 at 1:55 pm

I live in Wisconsin, and I couldn’t agree more. I have been trying to break up with winter for about two months now, but he just won’t leave. Talk about a suffocating relationship.

Colleen March 20, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Got our taxes done on Sunday night. The prep work took longer than filling in the electronic forms. But the stress of getting them done is over! Working on a better way to stay organized this year – can’t repeat pulling everything together (printing, calucating totals, etc.) mid-March again next year.

As for a snow day, sleeping in (which never happens), sledding, snowball fights, warming up with hot chocolate and marshmellows, watching a movie or reading a book by the fireplace.

Cindy March 20, 2013 at 2:22 pm

I finished my taxes (federal) ages ago, but then my sister told me a month later I had a W2 at home. So I’ve done the amendment, but still have to mail it. I’ve still got to file the MA taxes, but Turbo Tax has been giving me issues so I need to talk to someone there to straighten it out. As much as I enjoyed working here in the UK, filing taxes for it hasn’t been a fun experience.

I always wanted snow days more as a teacher than a kid! :)

Erin @ The Elliptical Chronicles March 20, 2013 at 2:23 pm

I completely share your sentiment about being SO DONE with winter. It hasn’t even snowed that much here, it’s just kinda cold and generally unpleasant to be outside and I SOOOO badly wanna meander around outside and enjoy the weather and outdoors! I can’t wait for 50+ degree temps!

As a kid, my favorite part of a snow day was the general freedom of the day (and lack of counting down the minutes until the school day was over).

We have done our taxes already, but we also have a bit of help. My husband has crazy complicated taxes due to working out of state and various accounts etc etc etc, so fortunately his company does provide a service that essentially does them for us. However, my husband really is a whiz with taxes and deductions and all that and inevitably always sends back a ton of corrections to the accounting department for them to adjust on our taxes. I’m so spoiled not having to deal with any of it.

Haley @ fullnfit March 20, 2013 at 2:42 pm

My taxes are done, done, done! Once January 31 hits and all of our tax info from last year is in, The BF makes an appointment for us to go. I swear we are some of the first people to get them all in! :)

Shay @ Whine Less, Breathe More March 20, 2013 at 3:11 pm

My taxes are done, returned and partially spent at the ER yesterday. Ugh.

Karey @ Nutty About Health March 20, 2013 at 4:34 pm

I LOVE that picture caption! I think nature is playing some cruel joke on us… it was only 19 degrees with a really nasty wind chill this morning, yuck!!! :(
    Your egg sandwich looks delish!
    I used to love sleeping in on a snow day and yes, my taxes are done. :)

Cheryl @ Happy is the new healthy March 20, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Tax season kills me — and the snow on top of it? I’m right mad!

I envy your toe to bar Rx. I have a really hard time doing them in any kind of rhythm, plus my hands seem to hate me more and more as time goes on. How do you take care of your calluses?!

Tina March 20, 2013 at 5:08 pm

I shave them down a couple of times a week, but I still get tons of rips. :(

Aurora@Fitness is Sweet March 20, 2013 at 5:38 pm

I love baking with bananas! They add such a great natural sweetness. And I’m dying to try Crossfit! I keep drooling over your WODs!

Jessica March 20, 2013 at 5:56 pm

It was 94 degrees a few days ago here in AZ, so I honestly wouldn’t mind a few more winter days! But I’m sure if I lived in the snow, I would be pretty sick of it by now too!

Thanks for reminding me to do my taxes! Haha.

Kelly March 20, 2013 at 6:00 pm

It amazes me the food (and drinking) you can do w/ Crohns! I had to give up all dairy, alcohol, etc. to feel vibrantly healthy each and everyday!

Tina March 20, 2013 at 6:13 pm

I don’t have Crohn’s! ;)

Lindsay March 20, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Favorite snow time activities were sledding in the small hill in our backyard in suburbia, Ohio. My sister would sled so fast she’d slide under the chain link “barrier fence” into the next yard and we’d panic like “The Sandlot” kids about the GIANT dog that inhabited that neighbor’s yard. Priceless memory.
    Taxes are being done TODAY by someone who is not me.

Tina March 20, 2013 at 7:23 pm

Oh my gosh! Haha!

Veterinarianess March 20, 2013 at 7:04 pm

We didn’t ever really have snow days down here in Texas… :(

My favorite banana recipe is one I found on Pinterest! Healthy banana chocolate chip cookies, the only ingredients are oatmeal, bananas and dark chocolate chips!

Miranda @ Miranda Runs March 20, 2013 at 7:46 pm

Yum, I had an egg sandwich this morning for breakfast too! Sooo delicious and easy to make! I’m sorry there’s still so much snow there… that’s crazy!

Beth Sheridan March 20, 2013 at 9:25 pm

What type of cheese did you put on your tuna melts? They look delish!

Tina March 20, 2013 at 9:32 pm

I think Mal used Laughing Cow Babybel.

Michelle March 20, 2013 at 9:58 pm

Oh Yuck. No snow here but I want the cold weather to Go Away. We just did our taxes and for the first time in 23 years we will not get a refund. We have to pay. Major Yuck. I love egg sandwiches. I eat one almost every morning. I eat egg whites with spinach and mushrooms. Yum. I use to love snow days. I loved coming in from the cold and warming up by the fire with a cup of hot coco and lots of marshmallows. I love bananas and can’t wait to try the cookie recipe. After we got our taxes done I stopped at the store to pick up a box of chocolate Chex cereal. I think I may have to have my husband hide it, it is delicious.

Alyssa March 20, 2013 at 10:24 pm

We got our taxes done this year because we are owning a home and renting a 2nd home and moved and yada yada yada. Seemed complicated, but she literally just filled the form out while we watched her…didn’t seem worth the money to me!

Erika March 21, 2013 at 3:42 am

Ah, I’ve never had snow days as a kid :( I’m in southern California and if it snows, it’s usually in the mountains or the high desert.

And yep, did my taxes…didn’t get too much back but that’s ok.

Carol March 21, 2013 at 10:28 am

Still need to do my taxes, but with another load of snow coming tonight I’m not really in the mood to do that :(
    I am always late with that stuff.