• First Half Marathon Training Run

March 28, 2013

Good morning!

Breakfast

I couldn’t decide what I wanted for breakfast yesterday morning, so I had a little bit of everything: toast with sunflower butter and banana slices, Greek yogurt with cereal and more banana slices, and a glass of iced coffee with almond milk. I love meals with a bunch of different tastes—they keep my taste buds happy!

071_thumb=

Workout

After breakfast, I did some work and then headed out for my first half marathon training run. I’m running the ZOOMA Half Marathon in Annapolis on June 1, so I “officially” started my “training” yesterday.

After my 4-mile run on Sunday, I realized I’m in no shape to run a half marathon, so I sat down and created a little 10-week training plan to get me ready to run 13.1 miles. Ok, my training plan actually isn’t much of training plan at all, which is why I put “training” in quotation marks in the previous paragraph. You see, every time I make a training plan for a half marathon, I either end up injuring myself or having a flare, so I’m taking a much more relaxed approach this time. Basically, my plan is to do one long run each week with CrossFit, short runs, and yoga mixed in. It’s not like I’m out of shape, so I don’t think I need to whip my butt into gear, but my body is definitely not ready to run a half marathon. Adding a long run each week (I’m using the ZOOMA Half Marathon Training Plan) and keeping up with my other workouts should help me cross the finish line on race day, no problem!

Yesterday was a beautiful day for a run. The temps were in the upper 40s/low 50s with tons of sunshine and a light breeze. It really was the perfect weather for a run, and it made me so happy. Spring has sprung!

beautiful day for a run_thumb[1]

I planned to run 7 miles, but when I got to mile 3, I received a call from the delivery company, who was bringing our new (impulsively purchased) refrigerator, saying they were about 10-15 minutes away. Their call came 45 minutes before the two-hour window they were expected to arrive. Crap. I told them I was out running and would get home as quickly as possible, and then moved my little legs as fast as they would carry me 3 miles home.

When I finally arrived at my house (totally out of breath and flustered), I apologized profusely to the delivery guys for making them wait. Thankfully, they didn’t seem to mind at all. (They were drinking coffee and listening to music in the truck.) They told me they actually saw me running about 2 miles from my house and should have picked me up. Haha!

While the guys unpacked our new fridge, I took everything out of our old fridge and said goodbye.

1394_thumb[1]

I can’t say I was too sad to see it leave. It leaked water the whole way out of the house!

1395_thumb[1]

Hello, new refrigerator! Welcome to your new home!

1402_thumb[1]

(Please note the pug tail photo bomb. Haha!)

Lunch

Once I organized our new fridge (it’s so pretty inside), I whipped up a quick lunch, which was Cheesy Couscous with Chicken and Spinach. It was so delicious!

cheesy cous_thumb

Health News & Views

Who doesn’t love a good quesadilla? This recipe requires only five flavor-packed–and nutrient-rich–ingredients and comes together in no time at all. It’s guaranteed to become a weeknight dinner staple!

Make This Tonight: 5-Ingredient Sweet Potato & Black Bean Quesadilla

Questions of the Day

Are you currently training for a spring race? If so, what’s your goal for it?

Anyone running the ZOOMA Half in Annapolis?

P.S. Just wanted to share another cool event coming to the Boston area: On Saturday, April 6th C2 Pilates will be hosting PINKBARRE, an event in support of the Susan G. Komen Foundation for breast cancer research. The event will kick off with 3 classes in their Dedham location (9am, 10:15am, 11:30am), followed by 3 classes at their South Boston location (11:30am, 12:45pm, 2pm) and ending with a soiree event from 7-9:30pm in their new South Boston BARREroom. Sign up here or email tori@c2pilates for more info.

Cindy March 28, 2013 at 2:35 pm

I am training for my first half marathon on April 27th. I am not a runner. But, I found your training plan interesting. I also do Crossfit. So throughout the my training for the half, I have kind of followed my own plan as well. M-T-Th-F I do Crossfit. W I do a shorter run (4-5 miles) and then my long run on the weekend. I am going to start doing my long run on Saturday mornings at 7 since that is when my half is. So, since I am down to the last month, I have decided to drop my F Crossfit WOD to be able to do a long run on Saturday. I had been doing the long run on Sunday taking Saturday off. I like to have the day before my long run as a rest day. So far, so good. 13.1 seems doable which is better than I could say when I first started training. I’ll be glad to be done with it though. Ready to get back to my 4-5 days a week of Crossfit.

Theresa March 28, 2013 at 2:45 pm

I’m running the ZOOMA Annapolis half! I am in my third week of training. Hoping to PR and come in under 1:50. Hope to see you there!

Monique @ burpeestobubbly.com March 28, 2013 at 3:25 pm

I just promoted for the PinkBarre class at C2, as well! I really enjoyed the class:)

Erica March 28, 2013 at 3:51 pm

My best friend and I are running the half. We’ve both read your blog for years, so we’ll definitely be tracking you down!

Shel@PeachyPalate March 28, 2013 at 4:41 pm

Well at least you got to work on your speed yesterday! Fridge looks amazing! Hope you have it nice and full now!

runnrjo March 28, 2013 at 5:50 pm

I live in Baltimore and have run Zooma Annapolis the past two years. I will be there again this year!

Tricia March 28, 2013 at 6:08 pm

I will be running Zooma Annapolis! I usually do the 10k, and I probably will again this year unless I get ambitious and change it up. I hope to meet you, after a long time reading your blog!

Audrey @ In Shape Cupcake March 28, 2013 at 6:10 pm

My bday is April 6, if I lived in Boston, I would come to the PINKBARRE event :(
    I’m training for a 5k, hoping to get my time DOWN!!! I have another week of training and then its race time!
    I really wanted to do the ZOOMA Annapolis half, but it’s just way too outta the way.
    Congrats on the new fridge…i need to get myself a new one.

Catherine March 28, 2013 at 6:29 pm

Hi,

I really enjoy doing half marathons. I’m originally a 10k distance running but then the more I have done half marathons and the more I improve on my time the better and more I enjoy them. I’ve done a few half marathon training sessions this year and doing my local half marathon in a few months. Hoping to get a PB!

I live in the UK but hope to run in other parts of the world at some point!

Thanks for your post

Catherine x

Miranda @ Miranda Runs March 28, 2013 at 8:30 pm

I’m running the Rock n Roll Seattle Half Marathon on June 22! I’m SO excited (but nervous too!). My goal is a sub 2 hour finish time. Ambitious, but I think I can do it!

AJ March 28, 2013 at 9:22 pm

OOOO!!! Your new fridge looks like my fridge and I LOVE it!!

-AJ
    FitTravelerAJ.blogspot.com

Brittany @ DulceVie March 28, 2013 at 10:18 pm

I will training for my first half marathon this summer. Hopefully I can stay injury free!

Danielle @ Truffles n' Treadmills March 28, 2013 at 11:46 pm

Murphy is also photo bombing the picture of the water on the floor that leaked! He is in the door! so funny

Tina March 28, 2013 at 11:57 pm

Oh, yea! Haha! I didn’t notice that!

Danielle March 29, 2013 at 9:53 am

I’m doing the Zooma 10k!

Alyssa March 29, 2013 at 9:57 am

I’m running the OKC half marathon and the AF Half marathon…I must admit, since starting CrossFit, running has become more of a chore! I love the social aspect of CrossFit, so I try to bring that to running. If I miss my running buddy, my long runs become verrrryyy looooooong! I’m all about short and fast now and prefer to run between 3 and 6 miles twice a week with one long run on the weekends until my race. Seems to work out alright with CrossFit in between!

Katie D. March 30, 2013 at 10:17 am

I’ve done the ZOOMA 10K in the past and was an ambassador for their run 2 years ago. I think I might do the 10K again this year. We live in Annapolis if you need any good recommendations for hotel/food, etc!

Tina March 30, 2013 at 11:07 am

Thank you!!

Amanda April 2, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Tina, what fridge did you and Mal purchase? I’m doing research on fridges to replace mine and would love to get your recommendations. Thanks! -Amanda

Tina April 2, 2013 at 5:44 pm

It’s a KitchenAid French door fridge – 22CF.

Amanda April 5, 2013 at 1:14 pm

@Tina: Thanks!

Will May 9, 2013 at 2:35 am

I’ve just signed up to my first half marathon – sitting down and actually drawing up a training program is a good idea. Otherwise it is easy to procrastinate. Thanks!