• Mr. America

February 14, 2013

Hello, hello!

The first part of yesterday afternoon was all about running errands. I received my sister’s baby shower invitations in the mail on Tuesday, so I addressed them and mailed them out yesterday afternoon.

I also did a little shopping and bought a few things for our trip to Hawaii. Obviously, I needed a new purse and pair of wedges.

vacation accessories

While I was out shopping, I also picked up a Silicone Travel Tube that I found at CVS. It’s basically a heavy-duty squeeze bottle. I already own a couple of travel bottles, but after I use about half of the product inside, it’s almost impossible to get the rest out. This silicone tube thing seems like it’s going to be awesome. There’s some serious squeezing potential! I’ll be sure to report back!

While I was out, I also bought Murphy more of his dog food.

And now he’s now obsessed with the bag. One-track pug mind.

After running errands, Murphy and I went to do some visiting at the senior home.

039 (480x640)

We’ve visited the senior home a few times now, so we’re starting to see the same faces again and again. While making our rounds yesterday, a bunch of people recognized Murphy and called him by name. One man even gave him a new name.

When we walked into the room of the gentleman, who once owned a pug himself, he saw Murphy and enthusiastically said: “Here comes Mr. America!” Haha! Love it.

Murphy being called “Mr. America” totally cracked me up. I told Mal about it when he got home and we’ve been calling Murphy it ever since.

Giving people pug therapy is tough work, so Murphy was exhausted on the ride home. Look at that pathetic face!

On the agenda for dinner was burgers with guacamole and Rotel, so I whipped up the quac while Mal made the burgers. (My “recipe” is just minced garlic, lime juice, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to taste.)

I ate a bunch of guacamole with rice crackers while I waited for dinner to cook. I cannot be trusted around it.

homemade guacamole and rice crackers

Rotel + guacamole + burger = DELICIOUS!

On the side, we had Sweet Potato Wedges.

Excellent dinner!

If you had the chance to do this, would you?

Mal and I are seriously considering it (because we’re crazy).

Amy Rawlinitis February 14, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Yesss. I totally would!

She Rocks Fitness February 14, 2013 at 8:12 pm

No desire at all to do that and I don’t understand why people want to swim with sharks! As much as I love the ocean, this would be the last thing I would want to do. HA! How’s that for honesty?

SuzanneU February 14, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Hell-TO-THE-NO!! Sharks are in my top 3 nightmares!!

Alyssa February 14, 2013 at 8:18 pm

If I were in “the cage”, then yes, most definitely! What island(s) are you going to? My hubs used to live there (while I lived in CO) and I visited frequently…if you’re going to Oahu, you MUST go to Haleiwa (North Shore) and eat at Opal Thai. No joke, best Thai in your life. Just walk up to the counter, act confused, and then when Opal asks you “you like spicy, mild? Chicken, tofu? Sweet, sour?” ANSWER HIM. Then sit down and let him do the rest. You’ll be satisfied for days :-)

lisa s February 14, 2013 at 8:59 pm

Love the bag! Does it have a name?

Nicole @ Fruit 'N' Fitness February 14, 2013 at 10:22 pm

Love the pictures of Murphy and his food bag. The last post where he was obsessed with the bag once all the food was emptied out and it was outside still cracks me up.

(Un)intentional Happenings February 14, 2013 at 10:44 pm

Yes, do it!!!!!

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl February 14, 2013 at 11:09 pm

LOVE those wedge sandals. You are totally getting me even more in the mood for Spring and Summer!

Those burgers look great. I love the combination of flavors that you came up with. I would love to try Rotel and guacamole with a spicy black bean burger.

michelle kim February 14, 2013 at 11:30 pm

AHH! No way! I can’t see myself doing that.
    Hehehe “Mr. America” is so cute :)

Khushboo February 14, 2013 at 11:48 pm

Guac>ketchup on burgrs…and this is coming from someone who loooves ketchup!

Megan February 15, 2013 at 12:27 am

Oh m gosh, do it! What a cool experience, you have to do it so we can all live vicariously through you :-).

Kara February 15, 2013 at 12:43 am

I would ABSOLUTELY swim with sharks (in a cage!)! Do it!! :)

The athletic trainers where I get treatment use those silicone bottles for their massage lotion, and say they’re better than anything else they’ve ever used! Inventions like that are so funny; why didn’t that exist before??!

Liam Rubel February 15, 2013 at 1:22 am

Having an outing once in a month is great. There by you can spend some more time with your partner. Murphy is looking so cute in all the pictures especially with the food bag. The burger is a good option after a tiring day, less time consuming to make.

Amanda February 15, 2013 at 3:22 am

Every time I get ready to take a trip I want to splurge on this bag…..lol.

I bought a three pack of those squeeze bottles, they’re great!

Tina February 15, 2013 at 8:21 am

Glad to hear that! I’ll probably buy some more!

Caitlin February 15, 2013 at 3:55 am

You have to do it!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin February 15, 2013 at 7:15 am

That’s awesome that you to to visit a seniors home with Murphy. It’s really inspiring to see someone doing that. :)

Tara February 15, 2013 at 8:52 am

Heck no! I grew up on the ocean and have a respectful fear of it-and sharks!

I love buying new shoes for vacation-how great buying sandals to wear in a few days, while we are all still wearing snow gear!

Molly February 15, 2013 at 9:01 am

Totally do it! We went on a Great White dive in South Africa, and it was amazing and breathtaking. My husband was skeptical (more like scared) but after he got in he would do it again and again and again! The sharks are so amazing in the water…and heck, you are in HAWAII!!

Meghan @ After the Ivy League February 15, 2013 at 9:15 am

Mr. America, haha! Murphy is the cutest. That dinner looks delicious, I need to buy avocados soon I’ve been having a serious craving!

Avery @ Southern Belle Living Well February 15, 2013 at 10:19 am

Errr….I don’t know if I’m that brave! Murphy cracks me up. His little face is adorable!

De @ Cooking for the Other Half February 15, 2013 at 10:39 am

Now I’m craving guacamole!

And that shark tour sounds scary…I’m not sure I’d do it, but I’d like someone else to do it so I can live vicariously through them! (Hint)

Annette February 15, 2013 at 11:03 am

So first of all…love that handbag.
    Second…”Mr. America” is hilarious and makes the funniest faces
    and lastly, I love the ocean, but have a fear of sharks, so sadly, I wouldn’t take a cage tour, but if you do, you have to take underwater pics of the big shark snout coming at your cage…LOL

joan February 15, 2013 at 11:05 am

Yes I would! Totally cool.
    I want your dinner. :)

Kristen February 15, 2013 at 1:02 pm

YES DO IT! I have heard it is the most amazing experience. Last time I was in Oahu, I chose to do a dolphin experience instead of the shard activity. The dolphin thing was cool, but I think you will get more out the shark activity.

Amelia February 15, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Probably! Amazing at how much I want to do now compared to a few years ago. Paragliding? Yes! Zip-lining? Yes! Meeting sharks? Well, okay!

Helen (Running For HHT) February 16, 2013 at 7:46 pm

Love the picture of Murphy sitting next to his dog food! My dog does the same thing and give us this look as if to say “Human why aren’t you opening the bag? That’s your job!”

Morgan@Healthy Food Newsletter February 18, 2013 at 1:24 pm

Murphy is such a cutie! Looking at the photos you post of him makes me miss my little Japanese Chin at home! And the guac with burgers looks fabulous, great condiment choice!

Janny February 19, 2013 at 11:17 pm

Man that burger looks DELICIOUS! Shark tour?! No, I’d never do a shark tour… total wimp over here.