• Koko Head Crater Hike for Time

February 22, 2013

Mal and I hiked the Koko Head Crater Trail this morning. After so many of you guys suggested it, I really wanted to do it, and I’m so glad that I did! As Mal said: “It was the best and worst decision.” Haha!

Quick tip: Type in “Koko Head District Park” into your GPS instead of just “Koko Head.” Mal and I learned the hard way and ended up in some random neighborhood a couple of miles away. Oops!

IMG_0298

The Koko Head stairs are no joke. Remember when Mal and I hiked Diamond Head the other day? Well, that was like a PG-rated hike. Koko Head was R-rated. It was so much harder! But, Mal and I like a challenge, so we loved (and hated) it!

The hike started out easy enough. The first part of the trail wasn’t too steep.

IMG_0300

IMG_0302

IMG_0306

But, things quickly changed. The trail got steep.

IMG_0311

I think Mal’s face says it all. Let’s call it his “this-is-way-harder-than-I thought-it-would-be” face.

IMG_0312

Mal and I barely stopped to rest—just long enough to snap a few photos—so I was huffing and puffing, dripping sweat, and my quads seriously burned. It was definitely a workout!

IMG_0317

IMG_0318

Here’s my “it-doesn’t-have-to-be-fun-to-be-fun” face:

IMG_0319

But, of course, it was all worth it in the end. The views were amazing from the top.

IMG_0321

IMG_0322

IMG_0324

We conquered Koko Head in about 15 minutes. It was our Workout of the Day for sure!

IMG_0329

And here’s when we realized the self-timer on my camera was taking multiple shots of us!

IMG_0331

IMG_0332

Haha! We’re freaks.

IMG_0333

Mal and I only spent a little while at the top before heading back down. The going down was surprisingly kind of hard. You definitely needed to pay attention to where you step, so you dodn’t slip and fall on the loose dirt and rocks.

IMG_0335

If you’re looking for a fitness challenge, the Koko Head Crater trail is definitely a must-do!

Do you enjoy hiking? What’s the toughest hike you’ve ever done?

Beth @ Running with the Sunrise February 22, 2013 at 6:48 pm

That hike looks really hard core! I always have a tough time going back down a mountain–it’s tough to make sure you have good footing when gravity’s pulling you down. I think my toughest hike was probably the end of the Appalachian Trail on Mt. Katahdin in Maine. Lots of boulders to climb.

Monica February 22, 2013 at 6:58 pm

That looks like a killer hike up, but the views look amazing! I love Mal’s face. It really does look he’s saying “this is way harder than I thought it would be”!!

Kelly @ Running to Healthy February 22, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Love hiking!! I’m in Florida so the hiking is horrible (i.e. flat!) but we’ve hiked Alaska a few times and that was amazing. Koko Head looks tough–I would be freaked out on the climb down. Steep!

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl February 22, 2013 at 7:24 pm

That looks intense! But I am sure that the amazing views were well worth the work!

Aurielle @ Will2Wellness February 22, 2013 at 7:55 pm

I’ve been hiking twice. So far my favorite is Catoctin Mountain in Maryland.

Clare February 22, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Ah this looks like fun! I just came home from Nepal where we did a (gruelling..) 3 day hike. It took us two 7-hour days to climb the mountain (hello quads!), then on the third day, we spent 8 hours getting down. Physically the most challenging thing I’d ever done, but definitely the most rewarding! The Himalayas are truly amazing :)

Jodea @ chillichocolatelove.com February 23, 2013 at 3:13 am

I find coming downhill much harder on my knees! My toughest hike was taking the Inca Trail to Macchu Picchu in Peru, but that view was definitely worth the pain! The amazing thing was getting to the end and realising that nothing but my own two legs had got me 32 miles through the mountains.

Jodie February 23, 2013 at 4:52 am

What a different & unique type of hike, looks awesome. Do you track your calories on a watch? Would love to know how many calories u would burn doing that hike. I’m not huge on checking calorie burns but I love to track simpl out of curiosity!

Jolynn February 23, 2013 at 10:24 am

Why are there people walking up and down the sides of the trail instead of on it?

MegG February 23, 2013 at 12:13 pm

I’m loving your recaps on this, it’s bringing me right back to my trip two years ago! When I was there I had my best friend drop in at CF 808, we did “Diane” (it was my friend’s first WOD ever!) and then we hiked this. There’s a baseball field that’s pretty close where it’s easier to park, but you’re right, it looks just like a regular little neighborhood near the trailhead! I’m about to go running/hiking in the Marin headlands right now, hiking can bring you to so many amazing places!

Alyssa February 23, 2013 at 12:39 pm

If you ever go to Colorado Springs, you would certainly enjoy the Incline :-) It is an old railway ascent (headed to the top of Pikes Peak) that has been converted into an “illegal” trail. Hundreds of people hike it daily, and I made a point to hike it on Sundays. We would race to the top and by race I mean not stop walking. I got down to 40 minutes I think by the time we moved :-) It was an amazing hike and it was HARD!

Kathryn February 24, 2013 at 9:39 pm

They made it legal this year!

Erica D February 23, 2013 at 2:01 pm

There’s a railway hike just like this in Colorado Springs called The Incline. It takes a bit longer (more like 45 minutes) to get up and it’s even steeper! If you’re ever in Colorado, you should check it out. Lots of olympians use it when they’re training in the city!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin February 23, 2013 at 6:30 pm

That looks steep!! The hardest hike I’ve done was a 2 hour hike up Maple Mountain during a canoe trip I did a few years ago. It was really neat once we got to the top though because there was a tower we could climb to get even better views!

Bitsy February 24, 2013 at 12:15 pm

That looks amazing! And tough! I hiked through the Adirondaks for a week, including Mount Marcy, the highest peak in NY. The hardest part though was our twelve-hour days of hiking! Truly a test of endurance.

Susanna February 24, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Hiking is my favorite form of exercise. My husband and I try to plan our vacations around hikes. I have climbed the Grand Teton which was by far the hardest because of the altitude and rock climbing at the top.

Stacey @ Pugmamastace February 24, 2013 at 9:45 pm

I’m a huge fan of hiking, but haven’t in awhile because I’ve been so focused on running! One of the hardest hikes I have done was the Siphon Draw Trail in the Superstition Mountains here in AZ. I hiked it with a friend all the way to the top-which they call the Flatiron. The view is amazing! Another really hard one here in Phoenix is Echo Canyon Trail on Cameback Mountain. It is a fantastic workout with great views as well! I have started doing CrossFit because of you and a few others, Tina, so thanks for the inspiration! I can’t wait to see how I continue to like it :-)

Jen W February 25, 2013 at 11:16 am

Wow! That hike was no joke. Glad you had fun (even in the not-fun moments)! What a gorgeous place to be! The hardest hike I’ve ever done was on our honeymoon when we climbed Half Dome in Yosemite National Park. http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/halfdome.htm We started at 6 a.m. and returned at about 4 p.m. I think the adventure carried me up to the sub-dome, adrenaline took me up the cables to the top of the dome and the knowledge that a margarita (or two) was going to happen with dinner got me back to the bottom. Going down was definitely harder than up!
    You and Mal would love that hike if you haven’t done it already!

MB February 25, 2013 at 8:01 pm

I love hiking! I’ve spent many weekends hiking the Long Trail in Vermont. The hardest hike I’ve done though would have to be Tuckermans Ravine in New Hampshire lugging my skis and boots to the bowl. Crazy hard! Can’t wait to do it again ;)

mi-an dela cruz February 27, 2013 at 10:44 pm

nice! i wanna do this hike! hardest one was the machu pichu hike in peru!! but soo worth it!!

Catherine September 10, 2013 at 6:15 pm

I just came back from spending my honeymoon in Oahu and one of the activities my husband and I did was a sunrise hike up Koko Head! We started out with our tour group at 4am with head lamps on and concurred the hike and then waited for the sun to rise. It was by far the most amazing thing I’ve ever experienced.

The hike was pretty hard but I’m so glad that I did it and the views from the top were astounding!!

Jennifer January 9, 2014 at 11:15 pm

@Catherine: Do you have the name of the tour group you used? That sound fabulous! I’m going next month, can’t wait!